Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SwissCard

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Victorinox SwissCard
Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 04:49:03 AM
My Nailcare has survived in a bifold wallet in my front pocket for two plus years now.

If I'm not taking my wallet somewhere then I move it to the camera case.

Pics are from a few months ago, Nailcare was a gift from Beat, thanks mate.   :cheers:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:10 AM
I want one now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

fi Offline Gath

Reply #62 on: January 23, 2018, 11:04:10 AM
The Swisscard Nailcare would be a good choice for your mom... the nail file is brittle and can easily break-off... These I heard from guys that put them in their wallets... But in a purse pocket should be no problem...

Another option is the Lite version...

Well that's what I think, but as we all know if mom thinks otherwise the convincing otherwise can be a Herculean task, so if the Quattro is welcomed in concept I can be sure she'll love the Nailcare.

Oh, and she also had a hand injury that's lowered at least her confidence on her fine motor function, so while her nails can't handle a SAK she could dismiss the card tools as too fiddly. Or I'm just unsure for nothing, that happens too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:07:58 AM by Gath »

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #63 on: January 25, 2018, 02:36:10 PM
I used to carry my one in my wallet for more than one year. And I decided that it is quite useless for me. Because I have the same tool kit on my Manager@Work, Explorer and Fenix flashlite. They cover all my needs at 95% cases (for other I have a multitool on my backpack). So I realized that during that year I did not use my Swisscard even once.
According to its tools - I do not like much its mag.glass because it is not made preciously and has some distortions and do not like the scissors because its size does not fit to my needs: for tiny work I have a 58mm knife scissors, for large works I use an officer knife scissors.
P1.jpg
* P1.jpg (Filesize: 481.64 KB)
P2.jpg
* P2.jpg (Filesize: 444.58 KB)
-Sorry my bed Inglish :) -

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:54 PM
Agreed FM

I think the SwissCard is a great concept - But I never carry one for similar reasons.
The torch is pretty terrible and the scissors a little awkward ... although fully functional - Also never used the Quattro SD -  I wish I had! - Again a great design..
And it is a bit fat for a wallet for me - Of course it could hardly be made thinner!

Although I did carry one in my car for ages - Mainly for the pen.

I think it's great for someone who does not carry any other tools, SAK etc - eg Dare I say it? - Eg a lady's handbag
I could possibly see myself carrying the SC eg in a dress suit for a wedding or such like.
It would also be a great addition to carry with a tool that does not have the tp/tw
- Eg a Leatheman or Alox knife - If you are someone (like me) who does need those tools.

PS. Did you or anyone else see my post on the previous page re the blade changes?  ???  - Any comments folks?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:44:10 AM by Huntsman »

fi Offline Gath

Reply #65 on: January 26, 2018, 12:19:13 AM
I airtraveled with my Nailcare Swisscard  (and Wenger Traveler) with no problem. I was surprised to find a complimentary sewing kit in card format at the Jumeirah Hotel, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
I like it and thought it is worth posting.

(Image removed from quote.)

I could post to any kind of forum with things I saw here. These people are insanely rich and they like to show it. This petrified wood stone is rare and very expensive. They simply used hundreds of square meters of it and myriads of marble, granite, alabaster, everything.

Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised given that the Swisscard alone is worth like 2-3 of my typical hotel nights.

And the blade changes are interesting, but maybe no one just has info on them for now?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:22:14 AM by Gath »

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #66 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:44 PM
PS. Did you or anyone else see my post on the previous page re the blade changes?  ???  - Any comments folks?

A couple years ago I did special investigation for Russian gun forum https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/391/1905027-m45258212.html about changes in SwissCards and their blades. It is directly linked with "metodime" site http://victorinox.metodi.me/swisscard.php information and as usual based on comparative analysis of tonnes internet photos and some catalogues.
So, briefly about blades. All SwissCard generations and models since 1996(1997) used to have 74mm knife blade moulded into a plastic handle (cutting edge down). Only since 2003 for SwissCard Lite they have started using special design blade (cutting edge up). For other models they used to use 74mm blade until approximately 2009. Since that I see all the models with new design blade.
For sure, I can be wrong, so if anyone has more precise information - please correct me.

Upd: So after a year of carrying I withdrew Swisscard out from my wallet but left a pen and "quadro" screwdriver instead of it (specially bought).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:03:14 PM by Frater_Martin »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 26, 2018, 10:21:14 PM
Thanks FM - Wish I spoke Russian/Ukranian !

Although the Swisscard blade is thinner than the 74mm - At least when I looked at mine!

Which is strange - Right?
If they were going to use the 74mm blade you'd think they use exactly the same blade or a completely different design
Not a thinner one - as presumambly this is a different manufacturing process    ???

EDIT PS: The SAAMS site says the first SwissCards had riveted scissors - Which seems strange as the SC came out in '97 and Vic switched to riveted scissors in '92, so you would think they had always been riveted. I have a very early SC and it certainly has riveted scissors!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:31:21 AM by Huntsman »

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Reply #68 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:20 PM
Although the Swisscard blade is thinner than the 74mm - At least when I looked at mine!

Which is strange - Right?
If they were going to use the 74mm blade you'd think they use exactly the same blade or a completely different design
Not a thinner one - as presumambly this is a different manufacturing process    ???
I have looked at three mine 74mm knifes and their average thickness is 1.5mm. But all mine are too old and were made before 1992 (they have screw on scissors), thus in 1997 the thickness of 74mm blades might be less, or might not. After some investigations and discoveries I am sure in nothing :) May be somebody else who has old type blade can help us. Does old blade (I mean 74mm type of blade) have a stamp the tang or does not?

If anyone has more modern 74mm knife than mine (approx. 1996-2000), could you measure the thickness of its blade?

So, let's return to Swisscards. Thanks to LeaF, I got some pictures and measures (Fig. 1) from his collection. As we can see, old blades have 0.87-0.90mm thickness, and modern ones have 0.88-0.96mm. My Swisscard' blade is 1.0mm thickness. So, modern blades I can divide in two groups: one has 0.88-0.90mm and second one has 0.96-1.0mm. I suspect, it might be two generations of modern blades. I think, we need help from other Swisscard owners.
So, can you measure your Swisscard blade at the definite place (Fig. 2) and tell us its thickness as well as the year of Swisscard production. The year can be found if you look through the Card (Fig. 3). e.g. mine was made in April 2012.

EDIT PS: The SAAMS site says the first SwissCards had riveted scissors - Which seems strange as the SC came out in '97 and Vic switched to riveted scissors in '92, so you would think they had always been riveted. I have a very early SC and it certainly has riveted scissors!
This I do not understand, sorry. All Swisscard scissors through the years used to be and still are riveted, are not they?
IMG-aaa1c54e1bc048b0f2041737f01b4c48-V.jpg
* IMG-aaa1c54e1bc048b0f2041737f01b4c48-V.jpg (Filesize: 189.98 KB)
point.jpg
* point.jpg (Filesize: 43.09 KB)
DSC_4058.jpg
* DSC_4058.jpg (Filesize: 198.87 KB)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:03:14 PM by Frater_Martin »

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: February 11, 2018, 10:42:37 AM
I have two : one is from September 2004, and the other is from March 2011
both have a 1.00mm blade tang :)
SwissCardBladeThickness_crop.jpg
* SwissCardBladeThickness_crop.jpg (Filesize: 75.89 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 15, 2019, 03:18:03 PM
Bumping this back up as I am curious what others think.
This appears to be a Gen 2 SwissCard, but the box has a copyright of 1996.   :think:
Which generation do you think this is?
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #71 on: February 15, 2019, 07:13:41 PM
This I do not understand, sorry. All Swisscard scissors through the years used to be and still are riveted, are not they?
Sorry folks I mistyped Sams says this
"SwissCard 1st generation contained screw-joint scissors while later those replaced by rivet-joint scissors."
........Under the tools pic
http://victorinox.metodi.me/swisscard.php

So  yes FM - My point was I would have thought that they would always have been riveted?  ???

Hey and thanks for all the info :tu:

@ FB - I wold say Gen 1 as solid colour
I guess no protractor ? ???
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:15:12 PM by Huntsman »

Reply #72 on: February 15, 2019, 07:16:24 PM
@ FB - I wold say Gen 1 as solid colour
I guess no protractor ? ???
I should know next week when it arrives if there is a protractor behind the swing door.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Victorinox SwissCard
Reply #73 on: February 16, 2019, 03:20:48 AM
If there’s a protractor, it’s a Gen 2... solid or translucent color is not a determining factor... I can say this as I have translucent Gen 1 and 2 :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:26:09 AM by jaya_man »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #74 on: February 16, 2019, 03:53:55 AM
Hmmm - Depends what determines Gen II - I thought it was translucent  - Eg If you check SAMS

Hmmmmm some more  -  Just checked SAMS again - The pictures seem to indicate Gen II = Translucent
But the features table seems to indicate protractor presence determines Gen 2     :think:

As always: Dating/generations is more of an art and opinion than scientific/definitive    ???

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #75 on: February 16, 2019, 08:59:57 AM
Based on SAAM’s... I would say only the protractor was added on the Gen. 2

Plus I think SAKwiki needs a little update as well... Protractor is present on solid colors and not just translucent... I have a sample... :cheers:

Reply #76 on: April 21, 2019, 05:20:31 PM
Update:
The Heliswiss card did not have a protractor on the back and the scissors were riveted together.

My newest that arrived:
Gen 1 card (seen on the left), does not have the protractor and has screw together scissors.

And the one I bought this morning, awaiting shipment details:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:32:22 PM by FolderBeholder »

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #77 on: April 21, 2019, 08:05:17 PM
If anyone has a Swisscard with the magnifying glass for sale let me know.

I would like to give one a try  :-)

My email is mashguy4077@yahoo.com

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: April 21, 2019, 08:08:37 PM
Update:
The Heliswiss card did not have a protractor on the back and the scissors were riveted together.

My newest that arrived:
Gen 1 card (seen on the left), does not have the protractor and has screw together scissors.

And the one I bought this morning, awaiting shipment details:

Nice collection of SwissCards FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

Reply #79 on: May 03, 2019, 08:40:44 PM
Nice collection of SwissCards FB! :like: :tu: :tu:
Just added another one.  I really liked the box.  :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: May 03, 2019, 09:09:17 PM
Just added another one.  I really liked the box.  :tu:

Great find FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

Cool box! :cheers:

Reply #81 on: May 03, 2019, 11:58:53 PM
Great find FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

Cool box! :cheers:
Thanks Vicman!  :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #82 on: May 04, 2019, 06:04:54 AM
Congrats Lisa... Be careful, those swisscards can be addictive like classics... :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reply #83 on: May 04, 2019, 02:51:21 PM
Congrats Lisa... Be careful, those swisscards can be addictive like classics... :facepalm:
I am beginning to find that out.  I basically want to collect one of each kind.  I'm missing the Dr. SwissCard, the Visor and the MoneyClip versions.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #84 on: May 04, 2019, 03:10:39 PM
Hard to find them... I think evilbay still sells just the money clip which can be attached to any swisscard with nail file slot...

Reply #85 on: May 04, 2019, 05:26:44 PM
Hard to find them... I think evilbay still sells just the money clip which can be attached to any swisscard with nail file slot...

Just bought a couple of money clips from a Victorinox dealer on eBay, thanks for the tip.  :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #86 on: May 04, 2019, 05:31:49 PM
Your welcome :cheers:

Reply #87 on: May 12, 2019, 02:11:46 AM
For those of you who collect SwissCards, do you think this blade is original to this card?

It's not quite red...maybe a pale rose:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: May 12, 2019, 03:05:39 AM
For those of you who collect SwissCards, do you think this blade is original to this card?

Cool find FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: May 12, 2019, 08:24:14 PM

I do have the same pattern : black body and notSoRed blade, so it may be original ?
I gave it to my dad, but I may be able to find a pic (it was also a swisscard lite, but can't rember if red or white led)

edit : here is a pic, appears to be a 2004 model of Swisscard Lite (as my notes say about it, not sure how accurate this note is)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:31:46 PM by m47mu74nt »
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44