Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

won't honor warranty.

Offline Ryan78matin

won't honor warranty.
on: September 27, 2017, 06:17:39 PM
 Hi.  Names Ryan and I'm new here.  I joined after being excited to finally get my first new Leatherman Surge.  I had a gift card and ordered it from Amazon.  After the 2 day shipping wait i opened it with much excitement and anticipation.... it was short lived.  The inside the handle tools just flopped out, the end caps that are held in place with the security torx were loose, and the worst was one side of the handle doesn't "click" into place so when you close the pliers onto something once you try to open it the handle folds out before the pliers open. 

I wasn't too upset as one of the reasons i decided on leatherman was the 25yr warranty and the good reviews on said warranty. Unfortunately after emailing leatherman my response was "sorry you're disappointed in your purchase but since you bought this from Amazon and not leatherman directly you'll need contact the seller for any refund or replacement."

Buyer beware. No where was it stated that Amazon wasn't a authorized dealer or that it would null the warranty. Extremely unsatisfied. I can't even use it out of the box with the pliers issue.  Lesson learned.

us Offline Zhenchok

Re: won't honor warranty.
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:23:55 PM
Maybe you should contact Amazon 800 number, sounds like you could have received a knock off.  Unless, ofcourse,  it was shipped and sold directly from Amazon.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:25:19 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:24:19 PM
And what did Amazon say?  I must say I've always been impressed with Amazon's (UK) customer service.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:31:30 PM
Where are you located?

Amazon should be your first point for replacement.  It is most likely your tool had been tampered with causing the loose torx screws.  You did say box packaging correct?
That would be the seller’s issue. 

If a clamshell and sealed then that is on LM. 

Sorry to learn that after waiting the toy was broken.  I hope you can get it worked out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:34:28 PM
Yes, the retailer would be my first point of call to gripe to as well.

However, it's silly when you think about it. You have to gripe to Amazon, and they have to put it right. They sold you a defective product after all, but then they have to approach their supplier (probably the factory, but in some parts of the world it would be a regional agent) and get a resolution, and so on down the line until it gets to the source. In some ways it would be a lot more efficient overall to deal direct with the producer - and if they can't keep up with returns, then maybe they should stop letting crap get out of the door  :whistle: However, the real world never works like that, so get in touch with Amazon, they'll put it right, and they'll have the problem of sorting out who is going to make up for their defecit.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:35:51 PM
I hope not a knockoff! It was offered with the prime so I assume it's from Amazon directly.  It came in the Leatherman box with the instructions, sheath, and 25yr warranty card.  I tried to post a picture but it said the file size was to large. My phone camera is on its smallest size option.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:41:00 PM
 I'm in the US. Packaging was all legit (looking)  brand new from leatherman.  I just don't understand what it would matter where I bought it.  I didn't think their warranty was conditional.  I emailed them you ask if there was anywhere local to me to have it repaired instead of sending it and waiting again.  I suppose I should have just filled the form and sent it off. Amazon would not let me post the negative review even though it didn't violate and terms. It wasn't belligerent or scathing. I only voiced my problems with the tool and that to be aware leatherman will not honor their warranty if you buy this from Amazon and to try to order from Leatherman if possible.  I would have myself but I had an Amazon gift card for the purchase.

us Offline Yontz

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:51:31 PM
Mine is coming today. Also bought from Amazon. Now I am feeling worried!
Leatherman Micra, Leatherman Surge

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:48 PM
Yes, just filling out the warranty form and sending it in would have been the simplest approach. Sometimes to much info and asking politely does not gather the results sought.

On the other hand, I own many LM tools, multiples of many, and never ever have I  received any that were loose as you described. 

I do have tamper torx bits and would resolved myself, (Home Depot and Lowes).  Other LM tools require a special wrench. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:04:06 PM
Amazon only offered for me to return it for a refund. I'll be doing so but after no further response from Leatherman I won't be re-ordering a new Leatherman. I just wanted it repaired nothing extra or my money back. Just left too bad of a taste in my mouth.  My suggestion would to be to order from Leatherman directly if possible... or I guess just fill out the form omitting any info of where you purchased it. They lost what, I thought,  was going to be a lifetime customer.  All the luck with your multitool gentlemen.  I hope all goes well with yours.

Ryan

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:11:37 PM
Amazon only offered for me to return it for a refund. I'll be doing so but after no further response from Leatherman I won't be re-ordering a new Leatherman. I just wanted it repaired nothing extra or my money back. Just left too bad of a taste in my mouth.  My suggestion would to be to order from Leatherman directly if possible... or I guess just fill out the form omitting any info of where you purchased it. They lost what, I thought,  was going to be a lifetime customer.  All the luck with your multitool gentlemen.  I hope all goes well with yours.

Ryan

Let us know which tool you choose to get instead, and how you get on with it. If you need sugesstions to help you choose, the members here will be happy to assist  :cheers:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:00 PM
This is becoming more and more common as of late. Leathermans customer service used to be the end all be all, but since they have hired new people it seems their customer service has gone out the window. Couple that with the drop in quality control and the increase in price and you have yourself a company that people no longer trust or care to buy from. Nice one Leatherman. Keep dissapointing the customers that pay your bills.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:58 PM
I appreciate it but it won't be a leatherman unfortunately. But any suggestions on a full size heavy duty multitool LIKE the surge would be great! It would need to see everyday full use of most of the tools.  I'm an aerospace fabricator by trade. I liked the Surge pliers head option with the replaceable wire cutting blades. And the needle nose with regular pliers combo

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:19:57 PM
I would say go for the Swisstool but it may not meet all your requirements. I can tell you, you won't have any of the quality control issues you did with Leatherman though.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:21:46 PM
Also thanks for all the kind responses and feed back. This is a very welcoming forum. It truly is sad about their customer service. I bought it new in the box. Nowhere was it stated they wouldn't honor the warranty even though it was HEAVILY advertised.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:45 PM
 If I can I'll post the link to a YouTube video I made showing the defective tool.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 08:03:46 PM
Hi Ryan and welcome.

Hello to everyone else as well. Maybe we should hold on a second and think through this and get a little more info before we start knocking the customer service ...

As many of us have, I have purchased Leathermans from Amazon before, including recently. Amazon has ONE authorized Leatherman dealer, and they are called NetRush. That seems to me that NetRush is therefore Leatherman' s authorized distributor. Just as in another country, perhaps the agreement between them is such that they must be first point of contact for these issues. I just purchased a new Rebar (already have a Surge- great choice by the way, Ryan) and along with it I received a postcard detailing how to get in touch with NetRush. The "new" ones come from NetRush, but Amazon Sellers such as AustinSchoolHouse sometimes have new old stock Leathermans up for sale, technically second hand but boxed.

Ryan, was this order handled through NetRush? Or another party selling on Amazon?

If the answer is NetRush, going through Amazon/ NetRush May get you that replacement Surge but even faster than the folks in Oregon could have done. Check, my Rebar had been warehoused right in my city.

Aside from that, yes, I agree with LoopCutter, sometimes  is more. Filling out the warrantee card would have gotten you what you want, just possibly slower.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 08:08:23 PM
If you went through NetRush,I would give them the chance to make it right, personally. You could have the replacement sooner.

If you went through a different Amazon seller, hand the thing to a trusted friend and have them handle the warranted repair for you (as I imagine your name is already logged with Leatherman for this issue,and they might reroute you through Amazon again, knowing it was you?)

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:15 PM
Yes I used net rush. Leatherman quit responding and netrush never did.

https://youtu.be/UWrla7wxp5o

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 08:16:08 PM
I personally don't think there is a better tool out there overall. If you don't mind a little weight, or if you are using it in lieu of a full Roosevelt, this is the one for you. No other Leatherman is as big, strong, heavy, versatile,or has as many tools.

The best of Leatherman is saying a lot

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 08:17:22 PM
Yes I used net rush. Leatherman quit responding and netrush never did.

https://youtu.be/UWrla7wxp5o

Y-yikes! Sorry to hear that. I am surprised.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 08:33:08 PM
One fault on a tool is maybe understandable, despite manufacturers best efforts, glitches do sneak out occasionally. That's a real clustersmurf of a tool though  :facepalm: Their lack of helpfulness certainly doesn't help matters either, but I consider that less of an issue than how tools escape the factory with multiple flaws.

I'd get the refund offered by Amazon, then either buy from a bricks and mortars store where you can actually try before you buy, or simply give them what they deserve, and take your business elsewhere  :salute:

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:33 PM
Okay,  after no responses from Leatherman or net rush I sent a final email to net rush politely telling them I was disappointed and the link to the video to show the defects.  I received a prompt response that they would like to send a return postage and send me a new Leatherman surge upon  delivery of the defected one. 

So happy to say that even though Leatherman was less than helpful the seller will replace it.  That's more than good enough for me. I'm excited to get my Surge.  Thanks for all your advice and comments.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:04 PM
:2tu: Keep us informed, Ryan  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:15 PM
Hi.  Names Ryan and I'm new here.  I joined after being excited to finally get my first new Leatherman Surge.  I had a gift card and ordered it from Amazon.  After the 2 day shipping wait i opened it with much excitement and anticipation.... it was short lived.  The inside the handle tools just flopped out, the end caps that are held in place with the security torx were loose, and the worst was one side of the handle doesn't "click" into place so when you close the pliers onto something once you try to open it the handle folds out before the pliers open. 

I wasn't too upset as one of the reasons i decided on leatherman was the 25yr warranty and the good reviews on said warranty. Unfortunately after emailing leatherman my response was "sorry you're disappointed in your purchase but since you bought this from Amazon and not leatherman directly you'll need contact the seller for any refund or replacement."

Buyer beware. No where was it stated that Amazon wasn't a authorized dealer or that it would null the warranty. Extremely unsatisfied. I can't even use it out of the box with the pliers issue.  Lesson learned.

Glad to hear that it getting sorted out.   :cheers:

I thinking that Leatherman wanted you to go through the seller for a "return or replacement" since they didn't sell you the tool.    I do think they will honor the warranty of your Surge . They honor the warranty on second hand tools so I can't imagine they won't honor a warranty just because it was bought on Amazon.

I also think they could have been more helpful though and maybe explained it better.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:07 PM
It's quite sad that this kind of thing happens all too often these last years ...

When I buy a new Leatherman these days, the first thing I do is take out my security torx set and tighten or loosen up the torx screws on the handles and/or plierhead, one time they are so loose the tools will drop out, the other time the are so tight you can't get them out, but they are almost never perfect (years ago a Leatherman would be perfect when it came out of its box, these days ...  ::)).

Come on Leatherman, do something about this  :pok: :pok: :pok:.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 12:22:56 AM
Leathermans not responsible for refunding the money to you with it being purchased through Amazon. Contact Amazon.

It is odd they won't service it for you?  :think: Most members here or threads I've read have had excellent customer service from Leatherman. Myself included.

Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle  :whistle:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:59 AM
Yikes. And you made a YouTube video in part to discredit Leatherman products...  ??? >:(

I agree that the quality control could have been better on that tool, but it happens, unfortunately to you, but it happens across the board no matter the product or company.

To me it looked like Leatherman gave you correct information to either get a refund or a exchange. Why service a day old tool? Dosent make sense. And Amazon will stand by their service as well, maybe you jumped the gun a bit. Sorry your first experience was this, but try and have some faith. Good luck
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39:28 AM

Glad to hear that it getting sorted out.   :cheers:

I thinking that Leatherman wanted you to go through the seller for a "return or replacement" since they didn't sell you the tool.    I do think they will honor the warranty of your Surge . They honor the warranty on second hand tools so I can't imagine they won't honor a warranty just because it was bought on Amazon.

I also think they could have been more helpful though and maybe explained it better.

As I was attempting (perhaps poorly) to point out, and as SteveC stated more succinctly, I think we may have confused bad customer service vs Leatherman wanting the issue routed through NetRush, as the dedicated Amazon distributor. And we as a society have become used to getting lightning fast replies, which frankly is not necessarily normal.

Ryan - I am glad you got this all sorted out and that a replacement Surge is on its way. With a quality tool in-hand, I'm sure you will be more than pleased.

50 - I think you make the best point to the root cause and effect. None of this had to happen if someone was alert at the switch in Oregon the day that Surge was assembled.

Although...

When my FFP boxed (not blister pack) Rebar arrived, I noticed there it was. Just in  folded closed box. No heat-sealed plastic bag. Not even an oil infused sealed paper bag like handcuffs or other metal items came in in older days. Just a box that anyone along th line could have opened, played with the tool, returned it and then closed. I thought that interesting

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 12:42:28 AM
I was going to suggest putting your video on Facebook to see if you could get a response but seems it done the job and got the sellers attention :cheers: Glad they are fixing the problem but not happy about the response you got from LM at all :rant: I have been fortunate that the last two tools I have bought new, a BO Rebar (which I did adjust to my liking) and a Surge didn't have any of your problems :facepalm: All the old tools that I have bought NIB were always perfect and this is just disappointing :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%