Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

won't honor warranty.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: won't honor warranty.
Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Hi Ryan and welcome.

Hello to everyone else as well. Maybe we should hold on a second and think through this and get a little more info before we start knocking the customer service ...

As many of us have, I have purchased Leathermans from Amazon before, including recently. Amazon has ONE authorized Leatherman dealer, and they are called NetRush. That seems to me that NetRush is therefore Leatherman' s authorized distributor.

As I wanted to point out...

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 12:47:06 AM
Sadly every leatherman I have bought has been worse than the one before it. Even though I like the Surge's platform, I bought mine new in a clamshell with a very warped serrated blade, fairly loose caps, and very tight internal tools where I could only extract them with another pair of pliers. Extremely well designed tools but definitely not the quality standards that they used to have.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 12:51:56 AM
I am a big LM supporter but if you buy a LM that is still in the box (they are the ones that package them that way) and all the paperwork is there and the tool looks new then LM should take care of their tools no matter where it was purchased :shrug:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:51 AM
Wow, Wallace

I am learning that I should count myself fortunate. Of the 8 Leathermans that I own, I have issues with a solid none. Then again, only one of them is a "new fangled outside opening blade-type." That'd be the Surge, which I bought used this summer, having met the owner and handled the Surge before buying.

All hail the old-school Leatherman inboard tool quality!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 12:55:18 AM
I am a big LM supporter but if you buy a LM that is still in the box (they are the ones that package them that way) and all the paperwork is there and the tool looks new then LM should take care of their tools no matter where it was purchased :shrug:

Read my prior response. There has to be a piece missing, like he wanted an exchange or money back. Which he could do both. Just needs to navigate the proper avenues.

In fact. Did Leatherman say they wouldn't service it, or did they just send him down the proper chain of command?  :think:

Also to the OP, what did you wipe down the surge with to make the BO react in such way?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:57:18 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 01:06:19 AM

Poncho, I am with you, however, just as there is a distributor in Denmark, who those folks must go through first, NetRush is the "country of Amazon" distributor. NetRush and Amazon are buying enough tools to make sure there is a supply in a warehouse in every major city and many secondary cities. This probably means that Amazon/ NetRush can get a replacement in-hand on a brand new defect before your warrantee package even arrives in Oregon.

I think, if followed, they want this system to actually help much faster those who get a new but defective tool. I think they believe that this is faster resolution and thus better customer service.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:07:55 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:17 AM
I agree Amazon is a great place to buy things and it would probably be quicker to go through them but if I choose to just go to LM USA (just as anyone in the world has the option to do) over them then they should honor the warranty and I feel that they should keep in touch with people to make sure that their dealers are taking care of their customers as well :salute:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 01:25:47 AM
Yes, Poncho. However, people who become distributors are privileged but also have a contractual obligation to make these issues right first, and in a reasonable amount of time. If I read this right, Leatherman directed Ryan to Amazon NetRush as the distributor, who actually has been given more clout to make this more right, and more quickly, than anyone on earth. I'm sure they would rather NetRush get a new tool to Ryan in a day or two, and receive Ryan's defect back to them as part of some routine bulk return shipment from NetRush.

-Ryan- out of curiosity, what day did the tool arrive and get opened? How long was the time between the initial contacts and the responses?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 04:51:39 AM
Wow, Wallace

I am learning that I should count myself fortunate. Of the 8 Leathermans that I own, I have issues with a solid none. Then again, only one of them is a "new fangled outside opening blade-type." That'd be the Surge, which I bought used this summer, having met the owner and handled the Surge before buying.

All hail the old-school Leatherman inboard tool quality!

I have been known to be quite scathing of the brand on occasion  :whistle: That's partially because of the "bad luck" I've had with them. I didn't get a well made tool until the third LM tool I got (glutton for punishment  ::)) and have had poorly made tools from them since. (Purely on quality issues, not considering what I deem to be poor design decisions on a lot of their tools)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 05:06:51 AM
Something is wrong. I don't know who or what you contacted, but everytime I have contacted Leatherman, they have been courteous,  quick, and helpful. Never have they said the tools I got from Amazon weren't covered. I have sent two in this years. A Wave I broke the file on, and an OHT. The OHT came back with a new pliar head. The wave came back with a new pliar head, new plain blade,  new serrated blade, new scissora and new bits in the holders. I only sent it for a file. They pimped it out. All new goodies in my well worn handles.

So, this all seems wierd that you guys are having trouble with LM. They did not ask me where I bought mine or when. Just told me where to go on their website to print a return form and find their address. I even called when I got my Wave back to thank them for being an awesome company. Not once did they ever ask for any proof I bought it from a store or amazon.

Also, I have bought ten brand new LMs this year alone and have not had a single one show up or come out of the package with those kinds if glaring defects. Most issue I had was slightly loose screws on a backup Wave, which are simple as salt to tighten. You need to have two T10 center drilled torx bits to do proper maintenance anyway.

Sorry to write a book here, but the claims of poor customer service do not seem to be normal at all.

Edit: Sorry kaput. I missed your responses! You're right, something is missing in the story here. :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:12:19 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 06:23:26 AM

Edit: Sorry kaput. I missed your responses! You're right, something is missing in the story here. :cheers:

GLBM, kaput, and anyone else who thinks this is out of character - unfortunately not everyone has had your positive experiences.

There was another thread lately discussing something else where several members commented on the trend in the decline. I think the discussion was about the Micra, but strayed to other stuff. I will fully accept that I seem to have had worse luck than most, but plenty of others on this forum seem to have been disappointed too. I once wrote to LM USA explaining there were several thing that I was unhappy with, and directing them to a thread here where I explained the issues in even greater depth. I got a response back to the effect of "So what exactly is wrong with it?". At that point I gave up.  ::)

I have had better luck getting stuff replaced at Whitby UK with early breakages, but have given up with such as the Style PS scissors, as it's not worth me paying the postage, as the replacement will only break shortly after anyway. Unfortunately this thread does not surprise me, and our new member has been more reserved and measured than I have been in the past (although I have been left disappointed with the brand far more often than Ryan has). I agree that Amazon is the right commercial route to take, but it does sound like Ryan could have been informed of this in a better way, and that still doesn't detract that this is not a singularly flawed tool. One flaw is understandable, it happens with all manufacturers occasionally, but this is a real mess.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 06:29:35 AM
You know what I did not think about it but I have sent many tools to Leatherman for warranty and never once been asked where I purchased the tool. Something does sound strange. If this warranty was done in the USA I do not see them asking where it was purchased. If it was done outside the USA then that may be a diffent story completely.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 06:39:58 AM

GLBM, kaput, and anyone else who thinks this is out of character - unfortunately not everyone has had your positive experiences.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I do accept that companies do suffer when trying to save money. And LM definitely has! The OHT was sent in, because the pliar tips did not meet up from the factory. Serious QC issue. Much much much worse than loose/tight screws that can be tightened in a minute at home. I could not fix the pliar joint. Should we need to tighten/loosen the screws when we buy it? Heck no, but preference makes perfect subjective. But, from what I can tell, LM doesn't have any worse customer service or QC than others. The least satisfied people are the only ones that usually speak out. This creates an exaggerated sense that something is worse than it is. LM is one of the biggest of the big pliar based MT companies, so their .5 percent of dissatisfied customers seem like more than others in the same industry.
Just my 2 cents. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 06:44:06 AM
You know what I did not think about it but I have sent many tools to Leatherman for warranty and never once been asked where I purchased the tool. Something does sound strange. If this warranty was done in the USA I do not see them asking where it was purchased. If it was done outside the USA then that may be a diffent story completely.

Cap'n, Ryan didn't specifically say he was asked (from what I can see), he may have mentioned that to them in his first communication. He just says they replied "because you bought it from Amazon ...."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:01 AM

Thank you for the detailed reply. I do accept that companies do suffer when trying to save money. And LM definitely has! The OHT was sent in, because the pliar tips did not meet up from the factory. Serious QC issue. Much much much worse than loose/tight screws that can be tightened in a minute at home. I could not fix the pliar joint. Should we need to tighten/loosen the screws when we buy it? Heck no, but preference makes perfect subjective. But, from what I can tell, LM doesn't have any worse customer service or QC than others. The least satisfied people are the only ones that usually speak out. This creates an exaggerated sense that something is worse than it is. LM is one of the biggest of the big pliar based MT companies, so their .5 percent of dissatisfied customers seem like more than others in the same industry.

Point taken  :cheers: My standpoint is a little biased because I have personally had a high percentage of disappointments from them  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 06:56:57 AM

Point taken  :cheers: My standpoint is a little biased because I have personally had a high percentage of disappointments from them  :salute:

Perhaps your LM luck will change at some point! I know I'd be sour on a brand that I received multiple defects from! I do know one thing though, LM would be wise to interact more with people who really use their tools and talk about/collect them. They should have a representative reading the threads here on MT.O. I work at an antique store as a furniture speSmurfpillst and keep an eye on new ideas and opinions on techniques/products to improve my work. If Leatherman would keep an eye on this stuff, they could really increase their appeal and products. ALSO, LM needs to hire people who actually use/like/collect MTs to do the QC checks.  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 07:04:15 AM
Oh, Leatherman reads these boards alright.  :D There's a few of their tool offerings that have been heavily influenced by stuff posted here  ;)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:44 AM

There was another thread lately discussing something else where several members commented on the trend in the decline. I think the discussion was about the Micra, but strayed to other stuff. I will fully accept that I seem to have had worse luck than most, but plenty of others on this forum seem to have been disappointed too. I once wrote to LM USA explaining there were several thing that I was unhappy with, and directing them to a thread here where I explained the issues in even greater depth. I got a response back to the effect of "So what exactly is wrong with it?". At that point I gave up.  ::)

I have had better luck getting stuff replaced at Whitby UK with early breakages, but have given up with such as the Style PS scissors, as it's not worth me paying the postage, as the replacement will only break shortly after anyway. Unfortunately this thread does not surprise me, and our new member has been more reserved and measured than I have been in the past (although I have been left disappointed with the brand far more often than Ryan has). I agree that Amazon is the right commercial route to take, but it does sound like Ryan could have been informed of this in a better way, and that still doesn't detract that this is not a singularly flawed tool. One flaw is understandable, it happens with all manufacturers occasionally, but this is a real mess.
Unfortunately almost all companies that I once knew when I was a kid has had a decline in quality and service, across the board. It's a sad sign of the times. Times are different. And although that may at first sound like a cop out, I have had above board service and will continue my relationship with Leatherman with confidence!!

Not to pick this poor guy apart, and we all want him to have a functioning tool sooner than later. He handled it incorrectly. As many others have stated, Leatherman dosent ask when or where the units where purchased from, their warranty is so good you can find a old broken Leatherman on the side of the road and get it replaced, REPLACED, by the latest in greatest... that is if you can do it it within the time constraints, of 25 YEARS!!!

It's obvious he was fishing to have his money refunded back to him by Leatherman, not the distribution channel that happily accepted (and will right the wrong) his money.. I can understand paying hard earned cash for a tool and needing that tool to be a 100% functional.

Honestly, although it shouldn't have left the factory in that state. It would have been a 2 minute fix for anyone with a security torx (or 2  ;)) both the tools being loose, the bottom cap, and the pliers and handle all is a easy fix.

Also, 50, nowadays you tend to hear more complaints than recognition in general nowadays, ask anyone in a service industry or customer service of any kind... the squeaky wheel type a deal ya know?  :-\

Does no one else still find it strange that the black Oxide just so happened to "wipe off" the handle in that fashion? I've wiped down Black Oxide tools and never ever seen that before :whistle:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:31 AM
Oh, Leatherman reads these boards alright.  :D There's a few of their tool offerings that have been heavily influenced by stuff posted here  ;)
I was kind of referring to their QC department. Their "R&D" team trolls the knife sites like flies on poop. :rant:
I want to tell the R&D that a good idea does not mean a good product!

ARE YOU LISTENING LM?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: September 28, 2017, 07:25:31 AM

Unfortunately almost all companies that I once knew when I was a kid has had a decline in quality and service, across the board. It's a sad sign of the times. Times are different. And although that may at first sound like a cop out, I have had above board service and will continue my relationship with Leatherman with confidence!!

Not to pick this poor guy apart, and we all want him to have a functioning tool sooner than later. He handled it incorrectly. As many others have stated, Leatherman dosent ask when or where the units where purchased from, their warranty is so good you can find a old broken Leatherman on the side of the road and get it replaced, REPLACED, by the latest in greatest... that is if you can do it it within the time constraints, of 25 YEARS!!!

It's obvious he was fishing to have his money refunded back to him by Leatherman, not the distribution channel that happily accepted (and will right the wrong) his money.. I can understand paying hard earned cash for a tool and needing that tool to be a 100% functional.

Honestly, although it shouldn't have left the factory in that state. It would have been a 2 minute fix for anyone with a security torx (or 2  ;)) both the tools being loose, the bottom cap, and the pliers and handle all is a easy fix.

Also, 50, nowadays you tend to hear more complaints than recognition in general nowadays, ask anyone in a service industry or customer service of any kind... the squeaky wheel type a deal ya know?  :-\

Does no one else still find it strange that the black Oxide just so happened to "wipe off" the handle in that fashion? I've wiped down Black Oxide tools and never ever seen that before :whistle:

I'm not sure just nipping up the screws will fix it, unless the screws are so loose that they aren't even seated in one side and are just resting on the small thread of the screw. At the pliers end it should be frame tension on the plier head, not screw tension that keeps the arms open. The sheer fact that the pin goes through the two tools either side of the pliers should hold the pin in position, shouldn't it? The other end, yes, maybe  :think:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:19 PM
One of the local LM resellers used to be the warranty agent, I was a bit surprised, pleasantly, to find out they replaced broken components free of charge, and the whole MT for a small handling fee.

This was early 2006, just bought a Core, and a friend's Wave was almost new due to everything that had been replaced......  :facepalm:

Have to admit, even if the tools were expensive, the warranty model did not seem sustainable to me, considering location.

In the mean time I bought a Skeletool and a Rebar, Skeletool is perfect but the Rebar's handles didn't line out perfectly.

The local warranty arrangement is no more, and quite frankly won't buy a Leatherman if I can't take it out and inspect it, and I won't order it from my friend's shop because then I feel bad refusing it.....like the Rebar.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 01:35:43 PM
Well Gerhard,
I have bought $100+ tools from several different brands and can say that handle lineup is a QC disease common in the MT world. It stopped bothering me sometime ago. But, it will be an issue as long as we want to pay less and expect perfection.
MTs costed much more back then, if you adjust for inflation. 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:56 PM
Well Gerhard,
I have bought $100+ tools from several different brands and can say that handle lineup is a QC disease common in the MT world. It stopped bothering me sometime ago. But, it will be an issue as long as we want to pay less and expect perfection.
Victorinox is the exception.  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:49 PM
Well Gerhard,
I wouldn't say that. I have a couple of Vics that weren't up to some people's impeccable scrutiny. Minor blade play and poorly finished back springs are two issues I have encountered. Just like handle alignment, these aren't serious defects, just QC oversight. My Spirit cam new with the handles not lining up. Couldn't care less really. Misaligned handles don't effect function. I will comment after I start their warranty process for my old explorer.
I was wondering how long until this thread got Sak jacked. :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 02:42:15 PM
Well Gerhard,
I wouldn't say that. I have a couple of Vics that weren't up to some people's impeccable scrutiny. Minor blade play and poorly finished back springs are two issues I have encountered. Just like handle alignment, these aren't serious defects, just QC oversight. My Spirit cam new with the handles not lining up. Couldn't care less really. Misaligned handles don't effect function. I will comment after I start their warranty process for my old explorer.
I was wondering how long until this thread got Sak jacked. :pok:
Technically, I was referring to SAKs, not the SwissTools.  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: September 28, 2017, 05:58:00 PM
Ryan good to hear you are getting it taken care of.  I don't have much to offer other than both LM and Amazon have been amazing in dealing with any issued I've had.   I'd argue that poor communication was the bigger issue.  Not that any of this matters now as you'll have a new tool soon enough.  Don't shy away from LM.  If anything should go wrong with your tool within the 25 years I have no doubt they'll sort you out. 
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:27 PM

That may be the case in the U.S., but elsewhere people have had different experiences ... Over here, the official Leatherman distributor needs to see proof of purchase to see if it was bought new through one of their dealers, if so, they'll replace it with another tool.  If not, you'll need to pay about 15 Euro to get it replaced, even when you bought it from an official Leatherman dealer in a neighbouring country.  Just saying ...

I might be wrong, but at first he asked Leatherman " if there was anywhere local to him to have it repaired instead of sending it and waiting again".  But yes, If he wanted his money refunded, he should've contacted amazon, and not Leatherman.

Easy fix if you have the security torx bits, else it's a pain in the *ss.  And I don't think it's normal that you have to buy 2 sets of security torx bits to fix a brand new (over here: quite expensive) multitool.  And if it's the torx near the plier head that's too loose, it's hard to tighten it just right, so that the tool is not too loose, but you can still easily open the OHO knives.  I've also had to file down the blade security on my BO Wave (the thingy that prevents the OHO blades from opening while using the pliers), because I couldn't open the PE blade even when the tool was closed.

I don't think it's because people are more nitpicky these days.  I can only speak for myself, I bought my first Leatherman back in '94, and my last one (for now  ;)) last month, and I can only determine that the older Leatherman Tools are far superior to the new ones.  If I compare the opening of the OHO knife on one of my Charge ALX's (date codes 08/08) with the opening of the OHO knife on my last Leatherman, the Signal, I can only say that somewhere down the line, something changed ... Maybe, like most companies, Leatherman is cutting costs to make more profit, but it's starting to show in my humble opinion  ::).

I've wiped off my BO Surge with a regular dry cloth (just like I did on any other of my BO tools), and the "caps" on the end of the handles look just like the ones on the OP his Surge.

Long story short, my first multitool was a Leatherman Supertool, and I've been a great fan of the brand since then.  But even for a great fan as myself, it's getting hard to "ignore" the signs of a change in quality, and I can only stay "brand loyal" since I've seen and used the early tools.  I can imagine myself stepping away from Leatherman if my BO Wave, or the two Rebars I bought before I got one without a flaw, were the first Leatherman Tools I've bought ...

Just my 2 cents.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #57 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:55 PM
    Sorry to hear you received a bad Leatherman, but Amazon should have been your first  (maybe only) contact for this problem since they sold it to you. Leatherman would not have refunded your money since you did not buy it from them.  I am sure they would have repaired or replaced it for you after Amazon's return policy ran out.  I buy lots of things from Amazon, and they are VERY easy to deal with as far as returns go. You just submit a request for a return, let them know it is defective, then just order the item again. I have never even had to pay for shipping when I sent things back. They will actually refund your money as soon as you ship it back!

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 01:35:17 PM
Okay....i haven't read through every comment yet but I will.  There has been some new information and in the interest of fairness I'll include it all. 

I contacted Leatherman the first day I received it and saw it defective.  They responded within 7 mins saying they were sorry I was disappointed in my purchase but since I ordered from Amazon I should contact them for "any and all repairs, replacements, and returns ".

I bought through net rush but couldn't find a way to contact them.  Amazon itself offered a refund of my upon recovering the tool.  I wasn't happy with that as I wanted the tool fixed or replaced. I still WANTED the tool.  I emailed Leatherman this and received no response.

I was upset and angry.  I was upset it came new in the box broken.  I was upset that because of this I was going to need to go through many more hoops than just sending it to Leatherman for replacement or repair. I don't particularly care WHEREi bought it.  I bought it new.  Once I contacted Leatherman they should have responded with send it in we'll make it right.  That's how their warranty reads. 

Instead I'm calling and emailing all day and into the next.  I left a bad review on the net rush page about the warranty issue.  No foul language and as polite as I offered it here. Just buyer beware.  Amazon wouldn't let me post it and left only the vaguest reasons.

I then came here to vent and made the video because I couldn't post pictures here.  After that I decided to try and contact the seller one last time before just getting my refund from Amazon.  I included the video this time and then I got an immediate email, followed by a call 10mins later.  They sent me postage to print and will send a new one. 

Now, for the fairness.  After repeated trys to contact Leatherman and then ultimately telling them its sad that they're going to lose what would be a life long customer they finally sent me the following email. Now the only other email I received from them was short, curt, and unhelpful. But after I had finally settled everything with the seller this...

First the first response I gave  Leatherman after the first and only email I got from them , hopefully to show I wasn't being a jerk.

Hello.

Thanks for the quick reply. So just to clear it up Amazon isn't an authorized dealer for your tools? As in the Leatherman warranty isn't valid if not bought directly from leatherman, even though it was clearly stated with the packaging in the tool and the site? Or is the Amazon dealer responsible for leatherman repairs and returns FIRST before continuing onto Leatherman itself? I'm just trying to figure out the route I need to take.  I am disappointed that I saved money I didn't really have thinking I was buying a superior tool, and that new out of the box I need to waste time and money to send it back SOMEWHERE. By time I sort this out (IF it gets sorted out) I'll have much more money invested in this tool than its purchase price without ever being able to use it.

I researched quite heavely before making my decision to go with Leatherman, and the review's especially with the warranty sold it for me. Sadly this isn't the case. As a prototype aerospace fabricator and blue light scan metrologist I thought this would be the best choice for a lifetime tool.  I think I'll be chalking this up as a loss and a lesson and will not be buying or recommending Leatherman in the future. I'm disheartened that, although I'm only a single customer, it's really no sweat off your back that this has happened.  No matter where I purchased your tool. I did not buy it used. If Amazon is not an authorized dealer for your tools it would have been nice if that was stated somewhere.

Thank you for your time,
Ryan Martin

I still wasn't getting and responses and I gave up on them.  I then just a little bit ago received this email. In conclusion I don't think I jumped the gun.  I went through every channel I could to get this fixed and until the video the best offer I got was just a refund of my money from Amazon.  After the video seller is replacing the tool and Leatherman sent this email.  I'm happy with the outcome, but it's sad that if I'd let it be at just an Amazon refund they wouldn't have cared.  But, as I said I'm happy with the outcome and I understand what Leatherman is saying... now.  Wish this email had came FIRST. 

Hello Ryan,

We apologize for the disappointing experience you’ve had purchasing the tool through Amazon.   Actually, if there is ever an issue with a new tool the process always has been to direct the customer to exchange the tool where they just purchased it – as that is the store/company that has already taken their money.   We do have some authorized Dealers on Amazon – however, not everyone selling on Amazon is authorized by us to be selling tools.  We have a constant search for unauthorized sellers and shut them down as soon as we can.   Unfortunately, we cannot be responsible for these dealers advertising as if they are truly authorized.  That is why we do all we can to track them down quickly.

If the seller of your tool is truly an Authorized Dealer they will have no issues with exchanging your tool.  I believe they may even pay for the return shipping to them for new tools with an issue.

You are always welcome to send your tool in to our warranty dept. as well.  Our warranty team will either repair the tool sent in or replace it.

Please let me know if you find the Amazon dealer you purchased from gives you any problems with exchanging it. We will be happy to take care of it here.

Sincerely,

Shellee Kennedy

Customer Support

Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.

Offline Ryan78matin

Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 01:45:48 PM
Just to be clear if the above was too long to read or I wasn't clear...i only got the last email from Leatherman after a bunch of unanswered emails to their customer service (the last email grim leatherman is from the lady herself, the first one was from customer service) and finally getting the replacement from Net Rush. Only after sending the video.  I'm no big anybody and I don't have an established YouTube channel.  But I did send it to them. But all said and done I understand what Leatherman is saying and if I had gotten that email the first time or even as a response to my follow up email I would have understood and went through net rush first. 

Thanks for all the help and comments. Ryan

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD