Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Texas Tool Crafter

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: Texas Tool Crafter
Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 01:33:43 PM
Good they did the right thing.  Now what?  You get your money back but an awesome tool is what you wanted.  Any ideas?

I am going to take apart the tool, remove the black paint. It's going to be a shelf queen. The tool with the Damascus scales is darn heavy. The full solid metal scales are actually quite a bit thicker than a normal charge by about 2 to 3mm..

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 03:46:50 PM
Good they did the right thing.  Now what?  You get your money back but an awesome tool is what you wanted.  Any ideas?

I am going to take apart the tool, remove the black paint. It's going to be a shelf queen. The tool with the Damascus scales is darn heavy. The full solid metal scales are actually quite a bit thicker than a normal charge by about 2 to 3mm..

Ya steel isnt good for handles especially what they use which is non stainless.  I did steel scales on a sak for someone and it was way too heavy to be practical
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:27 PM
The black paint I said is scraping off when I am even not using it.. Opening and closing the pliers perhaps 4-5 times max. Though I got a discount, it's still absolutely horrible.. 😑
IMG_20171207_232410-992x744.jpg
* IMG_20171207_232410-992x744.jpg (Filesize: 128.03 KB)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:28:36 PM by Sam Lim »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
I'm not a fan of any painted or similar coatings on tools.  Eventually they will wear off and look ugly IMO.  I have some Skeletools with colored frames and I never open them for this reason. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:14 PM
I'm not a fan of any painted or similar coatings on tools.  Eventually they will wear off and look ugly IMO.  I have some Skeletools with colored frames and I never open them for this reason.

You should. Maybe u might find a set of pliers in them :whistle:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 09:53:43 AM
Perhaps, you should have waited for this:
https://txtoolcrafters.com/collections/ttc-modified-tools/products/leatherman-charge-solid-sterling-silver-handles-limited-run-of-100
Sterling silver scales for $480. About 1 oz of sterling for each panel.
That is just plain lazy, unimaginative on the design and pure money grabbing.  :P

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 09, 2017, 10:31:48 AM
https://txtoolcrafters.com/collections/ttc-modified-tools/products/leatherman-charge-solid-sterling-silver-handles-limited-run-of-100
That is just plain lazy, unimaginative on the design and pure money grabbing.  :P
(Image removed from quote.)

I am not sure if I have the courage to buy something from them again.

I disassembled the tool and tried to remove the paint from it. It, was, actually quite disastrous..as a member had warned.. Paint were stucked in all the unreachable places. And I believe when they set the paint, they had to bake it. Resulting in yellowing of the stainless steel frame.. It was a total nightmare..

So the original frame was basically useless. Well, very fortunately, I have a set of spare Charge frame. I would probably kick myself super hard in the arse if I didn't have the spare parts to replace with..

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 06:26:55 PM
So because of the yellowish frame i had left with after removing the paint, this golden charge was born. With the many parts I had acquired off Ebay recently. Gave the titanium scale a champagne gold tint. 😆
IMG_20171211_012317-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171211_012317-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 124.3 KB)
IMG_20171211_012146-744x992.jpg
* IMG_20171211_012146-744x992.jpg (Filesize: 217.91 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 06:54:10 PM
That's... pretty cool!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 06:59:47 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

In their defence, Victorinox make a silver Classic. The texas tool crafter stuff has always been rather marketed towards the tastes of our more Eastern friends.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 07:50:14 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 02:59:32 AM
Dude, that is so sweet looking :o :like:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 03:20:06 AM
So because of the yellowish frame i had left with after removing the paint, this golden charge was born. With the many parts I had acquired off Ebay recently. Gave the titanium scale a champagne gold tint. 😆

Looks great!  I keep meaning to cook my TTi scales but still haven't gotten around to it.  How did you manage the gold color?  I remember reading higher or lower temps give a more blue or more yellow color, but I can't remember which  :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 06:01:10 AM

Looks great!  I keep meaning to cook my TTi scales but still haven't gotten around to it.  How did you manage the gold color?  I remember reading higher or lower temps give a more blue or more yellow color, but I can't remember which  :facepalm:

I just heat it over the stove. I know nuts about the chemistry or the heat required. In my experience, these turn colour faster than stainless. It will turn from light yellow to light brown and then straight to purple. Yes. Iodine kind of purple and it's ugly. Especially the rough textured area, they will turn first. I overdid it and had to use a wire brush to scrub it down. With the desired brown, I used a USED mid grit sand paper to wear it down a little. Later I try to do a close up shot. It have a pretty nice worn look to it.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:32 AM
Ah. I realised it can be seen in the pics. I do a vertical light sanding. It originally had a horizontal finish to it. The vertical stroke will make the lines stand out more.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%