Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Diggy, Bangy things

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Diggy, Bangy things
on: September 29, 2017, 05:10:32 AM
Been on a bit of a tool restoration kick of late, mucking around with Axes in the Axe Hole, but have some other striking tools that need some work.

Here's an unknown brand mattock, Cyclone 10lb Sledge, and Hytest Forged Tools 7lb Sledge

The Hytest Sledge handle was loose, I'd tried soaking with some Linseed oil but the wood was too far gone and split up

Bit of a shame, as the handle was quite nice otherwise

Here's a little Birkinshaw Lump Hammer. I thought they'd miss spelled Birkenshaw but now I'm sure it was the maker, not the place, though the maker's stamp isn't clear. I got a new handle for it but it probably just needs a bit more wedging to tighten it up

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Diggy, Bangy things
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:51:08 AM
Being I hate to waste anything that might be reused, I've salvaged a nice handle such as the busted Hytest by re-purposing it for a pruning saw.  Bought a replacement blade for a Fiskars pole saw, cut the rotten part off the handle and cut a slit about 3 inches long then marked the side where the holes were in the saw blade and drilled for through bolts to hold the blade. Slide the saw blade in the cut in the handle and run the bolts through it. Makes a convenient extended reach pruner for when branches are just out of reach and you don't want to bother getting a ladder or an actual pole saw out of the storage.  I'm glad a standard size replacement handle was available for the Hytest hammer.  I've found a couple of pieces that were so old that they were no longer standard sized.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: Diggy, Bangy things
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:29:06 AM
Being I hate to waste anything that might be reused, I've salvaged a nice handle such as the busted Hytest by re-purposing it for a pruning saw.  Bought a replacement blade for a Fiskars pole saw, cut the rotten part off the handle and cut a slit about 3 inches long then marked the side where the holes were in the saw blade and drilled for through bolts to hold the blade. Slide the saw blade in the cut in the handle and run the bolts through it. Makes a convenient extended reach pruner for when branches are just out of reach and you don't want to bother getting a ladder or an actual pole saw out of the storage.  I'm glad a standard size replacement handle was available for the Hytest hammer.  I've found a couple of pieces that were so old that they were no longer standard sized.

Yeah, I won't throw it away, I like you saw option, good bit of repurposing  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%