Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager Challenge

Nix · 636 · 24686

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #210 on: October 10, 2017, 04:39:55 PM
 :oops: Forgot yesterday's photo.

Today, in my spare time, I'm working on a photo with the rest of my ad inlay collection.

Photo0764 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #211 on: October 10, 2017, 05:42:51 PM
I might be in trouble...this challenge isn't half over yet and I just made my 2nd Amazon and 5th Executive purchase.

JIm

it Offline Mini

Reply #212 on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:16 PM
I have got 3 executive  :D
One with coloured scales taken from an ambassador limited edition, one red with Hoffritz logo, and another one red, for backup  ;)

Yes, I really like Executive!

After edc a manager for 10 years, I discover the executive, and it became my new edc. That's beause it's really small and I can't feel difference carring it compared to the manager,  gaining a better file, a second plain  blade and the one serrated. I lose the pen, but often I have one in my bag, so it don't mind for me.

Also, my multitool fever is still increasing, so every Vic I see is a potential edc   :facepalm:

us Offline getahl

Reply #213 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:44 PM
The Exec is a good knife. I don't go out of my way to find things to cut with it, though, challenge or not. I wasn't going to use it to break down the 15 or so boxes from my daughter's birthday this last Sunday. My Stanley knife made a much better show of it. Better suited to the task. Nose hairs and a concert wristband? Worked just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #214 on: October 10, 2017, 07:00:55 PM
I might be in trouble...this challenge isn't half over yet and I just made my 2nd Amazon and 5th Executive purchase.

JIm

Jim, you're out of control..... :like:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #215 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:03 PM
I have got 3 executive  :D
One with coloured scales taken from an ambassador limited edition, one red with Hoffritz logo, and another one red, for backup  ;)

Yes, I really like Executive!

After edc a manager for 10 years, I discover the executive, and it became my new edc. That's beause it's really small and I can't feel difference carring it compared to the manager,  gaining a better file, a second plain  blade and the one serrated. I lose the pen, but often I have one in my bag, so it don't mind for me.

Also, my multitool fever is still increasing, so every Vic I see is a potential edc   :facepalm:

This Chuck Yeager Challenge is a good idea!  Prior to its start, I didn't know the level of enthusiasm for this portable Swiss Army Knife. Now and then, I have seen a topic about minimalist carry but have not paid much attention. I carried only a Classic for around 35 years and liked how I could carry and forget it until I needed it. The Executive isn't much bigger but is more useful as you have pointed out.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of your colorful scales. :)

Multi-tool fever is a risk for those who frequent this Swiss Army Knights forum. :) I had three Explorers (my favorite SAK) when I started and now have 25. Beware of the Alox fever--many offer warnings but to no avail. :)

When this challenge is over, hopefully we can have a recurring Executive Owners Club topic.

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #216 on: October 10, 2017, 07:05:38 PM

JIm

Jim, you're out of control..... :like:

Sadly, you might be right.

:climber:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #217 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:56 PM
Day 10.  I love the small blade!!
IMG_20171010_153217.jpg
* IMG_20171010_153217.jpg (Filesize: 116.81 KB)
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #218 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:42 PM
Used the small blade to cut open a snack.
IMG_20171010_154359.jpg
* IMG_20171010_154359.jpg (Filesize: 151.32 KB)
Barry

us Offline jloden

Reply #219 on: October 10, 2017, 09:47:50 PM
Oct 03:

I normally go for an awl to fix coffee cups, but today the small worked a charm.

Haha! I knew I couldn't be the only one that does this every single time I get a cup of coffee or tea in a paper cup.  :tu:

I usually use the awl too, but if I'm not carrying a model with the awl/reamer the small blade does a great job.

us Offline getahl

Reply #220 on: October 10, 2017, 09:51:11 PM
Posing with my new car key fob.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #221 on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:24 PM
Those look great together!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #222 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:25 PM
Oct 10:

We have a lot of deer that come through the yard. This time of year, the big bucks are making their mark on everything they can to claim their turf and woo those does. Today I put up some fencing to keep the bucks from tearing up the bark on the Aspen trees any more than they already have. I used rebar to stake the fencing into the ground. The Exec small blade came in handy for opening bundles of rebar:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #223 on: October 11, 2017, 12:40:17 AM
Oct 10 (still):

So I had to do my favorite Chicken Test with the Executive. I feel that no challenge is complete for me without cutting up a chicken.

This time, I decided to "spatchcock" my chicken for the grill this evening. The toughest part of spatchcocking a chicken is removing the backbone. I usually do this with a big tough chef's knife or even a pair of kitchen shears. However, here I used the 74mm blade to carefully cut out the backbone and joint the hips.

I then removed the ribs and cleaned up a few other bones. The large blade made quick work of removing the ribs. After that, I flipped the bird over and took out the wishbone. This lets the chicken lie flat on the grill and cook evenly. The slim 74mm blade was perfect for this job.

I was really impressed with the way the Executive handled this task. Like I said earlier, I usually use a bigger, heavier knife to muscle my way through bones and joints. With the Executive, I used a more delicate and precise approach, and it paid off. The blade was still extremely sharp after I got done. I did touch it up on a ceramic rod to restore it to hair-cutting sharp.

The Executive continues to impress!

(And, yes, I cleaned the knife well after using it to cut up chicken.  :D)

us Offline italophil

Reply #224 on: October 11, 2017, 12:47:43 AM
Good work, Nix! What's next, skinning one of the pesky bucks?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #225 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:27 AM
Good work, Nix! What's next, skinning one of the pesky bucks?

If I get my way........

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #226 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:52 AM
October 6th

(Image removed from quote.)
Executive cuts

I don't carry band-aids. My philosophy is: if it needs a band-aid, you don't need a band-aid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #227 on: October 11, 2017, 01:52:22 AM
Oct 10:

We have a lot of deer that come through the yard. This time of year, the big bucks are making their mark on everything they can to claim their turf and woo those does. Today I put up some fencing to keep the bucks from tearing up the bark on the Aspen trees any more than they already have. I used rebar to stake the fencing into the ground. The Exec small blade came in handy for opening bundles of rebar:

I wish I had your problem...;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #228 on: October 11, 2017, 01:55:34 AM
Taco night at the Mizedog house. The Executive is a mad slicer. It took this pepper down in seconds.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #229 on: October 11, 2017, 01:57:03 AM
I love tacos.  :tu:

I do wonder if the Executive is going to turn this challenge into a cooking challenge.......

us Offline cody6268

Reply #230 on: October 11, 2017, 02:00:26 AM
Today's work: Pulled an old Kyosho Mini Z Overland RC car out of storage (I've still got to find the body and transmitter which is in one of the boxes in one of the totes in the closet). The antenna broke, and I lost a few small parts somehow--they're in one of those "daily planner" pillboxes somewhere else. I used the Executive to remove the motor cover, as I'm thinking about buying one rated for better torque. The Kyosho motor seems to be more aimed towards speed. I used the scissors to cut my nails and open an ice cream packet, as well as the orange peeler again to scrape Gorilla Glue off the front porch swing.

Photo0765 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #231 on: October 11, 2017, 02:03:40 AM
Oct 10 (still):

So I had to do my favorite Chicken Test with the Executive. I feel that no challenge is complete for me without cutting up a chicken.

This time, I decided to "spatchcock" my chicken for the grill this evening. The toughest part of spatchcocking a chicken is removing the backbone. I usually do this with a big tough chef's knife or even a pair of kitchen shears. However, here I used the 74mm blade to carefully cut out the backbone and joint the hips.

I then removed the ribs and cleaned up a few other bones. The large blade made quick work of removing the ribs. After that, I flipped the bird over and took out the wishbone. This lets the chicken lie flat on the grill and cook evenly. The slim 74mm blade was perfect for this job.

I was really impressed with the way the Executive handled this task. Like I said earlier, I usually use a bigger, heavier knife to muscle my way through bones and joints. With the Executive, I used a more delicate and precise approach, and it paid off. The blade was still extremely sharp after I got done. I did touch it up on a ceramic rod to restore it to hair-cutting sharp.

The Executive continues to impress!

(And, yes, I cleaned the knife well after using it to cut up chicken.  :D)

I never would have thought of cutting up a chicken with an Executive. If this was a TV show, the title would begin with the word "Extreme".

:tu:

Jim

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #232 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:15 AM
October 10th

My Executive hasn't seen any use today. It rides silently in my pocket.
While I on occasion have the feeling I've lost it, it's a good thing. I barely know it's there.

That said, I sometimes miss the hook on my Handyman which I play with when it's in my pocket.

I've been looking online for any cool Executive mods, but couldn't find any. It appears the Executive is not that popular. Though I recon it has a very loyal fanbase.

I did find this image to drool over though:

Executive Mammoth Bone

That looks amazing!
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #233 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:25 AM
I've always liked the Executive. This thread is making me really want one :twak:

I have a Director but it's one of the rare cases I actually prefer a cellidor SAK :twak:

:twak: (sorry, I glitched)

:ahhh
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #234 on: October 11, 2017, 10:09:20 AM
Awesome challenge!  :drool:

October 10th

My Executive hasn't seen any use today. It rides silently in my pocket.
While I on occasion have the feeling I've lost it, it's a good thing. I barely know it's there.

That said, I sometimes miss the hook on my Handyman which I play with when it's in my pocket.

I've been looking online for any cool Executive mods, but couldn't find any. It appears the Executive is not that popular. Though I recon it has a very loyal fanbase.

I did find this image to drool over though:

Executive Mammoth Bone

That looks amazing!
I believe that someone added the 58mm tiny Philips and bottle opener combo tool to the executive.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

Reply #235 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:32 AM
I've always liked the Executive. This thread is making me really want one :twak:

I have a Director but it's one of the rare cases I actually prefer a cellidor SAK :twak:

:twak: (sorry, I glitched)

:ahhh

We got the same problem mate. Only I believe this would retire my Classic after years of every day carry
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #236 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:38 AM
Had a quiet few days with the Ambassador so I’ve not posted pics but you know the usual parcel type thing. Bought myself a new boot bag yesterday so it went into action there and I’ll post pics later but I am enjoying the way it just sits unobtrusively in the pocket 👍
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

it Offline Mini

Reply #237 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:27 PM
I'm glad to see how Executive is used for daily task, and also for work where generally a bigger knife is used.

Today, oct 11th, I used the main blade to peel an apple. I never washed these knifes like I did during the challenge 😀

IMG_20171011_121213.jpg
* IMG_20171011_121213.jpg (Filesize: 105.67 KB)

us Offline italophil

Reply #238 on: October 11, 2017, 03:09:42 PM
Day 11 - Orange peeler helped remove the gasket from my stove top espresso maker for a deep cleaning.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #239 on: October 11, 2017, 07:01:53 PM
10-11
The corner of this coffee bag didn't rip off correctly. Rather than trying again, and risking being pelted with grounds, I used the scissors for a proper trim job.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD