Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager Challenge

Nix · 636 · 24678

us Offline getahl

Re: Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #330 on: October 16, 2017, 01:48:08 PM
Had an interesting discovery this evening. I live in Southern California,  subject to heavy, hot winds this time of year, called the Santa Anas. Last week, a gust caused out back fence to wobble. Suspecting a cracked post, we braced the fence with a letter to help stabilize it.

Fast forward to today. I clear out the gravel base, and see that there's a cavity at the base of the affected post. Crap. I'll have to dig it out and cement in a new post.

Why am I writing about fence repair in this thread? Because we're expecting rain later this week, I didn't  want my ladder left out to rust. I took some spare carving wood, shaved it down to size with my Executive, and shimmed up my fence post with a sledge mallet and wood to where the rocking is fairly minimal. Not pictured is how the heck this happened. The wood doesn't seem rotted, so I dunno.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #331 on: October 16, 2017, 03:26:15 PM
From the lobby of La Fonda in Santa Fe:

it Offline Mini

Reply #332 on: October 16, 2017, 07:28:15 PM
Day 16

Cut a plastic zip tie. I have preferred  to use the serrated blade because it was quite thick.
IMG_20171016_192333.jpg
* IMG_20171016_192333.jpg (Filesize: 69.99 KB)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:56:49 PM by Mini »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #333 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:26 AM
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #334 on: October 17, 2017, 01:13:52 AM
Had an interesting discovery this evening. I live in Southern California,  subject to heavy, hot winds this time of year, called the Santa Anas. Last week, a gust caused out back fence to wobble. Suspecting a cracked post, we braced the fence with a letter to help stabilize it.

Fast forward to today. I clear out the gravel base, and see that there's a cavity at the base of the affected post. Crap. I'll have to dig it out and cement in a new post.

Why am I writing about fence repair in this thread? Because we're expecting rain later this week, I didn't  want my ladder left out to rust. I took some spare carving wood, shaved it down to size with my Executive, and shimmed up my fence post with a sledge mallet and wood to where the rocking is fairly minimal. Not pictured is how the heck this happened. The wood doesn't seem rotted, so I dunno.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Ahh... The Santa Anas. I remember them well. pretty soon someone will mention something about earthquake weather. I'm flying into Ontario soon and wonder if I'll see rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #335 on: October 17, 2017, 01:44:28 AM

Why am I writing about fence repair in this thread? Because we're expecting rain later this week, I didn't  want my ladder left out to rust. I took some spare carving wood, shaved it down to size with my Executive, and shimmed up my fence post with a sledge mallet and wood to where the rocking is fairly minimal. Not pictured is how the heck this happened. The wood doesn't seem rotted, so I dunno.(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

That's happened. You go up in the mountain, and either a falling tree or  disrespectful hunters (most call, or visit, asking permission to use our property, last time fence damage was caused by a 300 lb. surveyor who did not have permission to be on our property, who rode the fence down a foot (I thought it was a black bear) luckily me and my Proto pliers had that fixed in 2 minutes) have wrecked a good sized section of fence. which'll take a whole day to patch up, remove tree, put in T posts, attach posts to fence.

Used the file to tinker with a knife that had a damaged liner. The Executive file is rigid, and thin enough to be great on brass and aluminum liners.

Photo0783 by cody6268, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:47:54 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #336 on: October 17, 2017, 03:59:53 AM
Love all the pics of the Executive guys :dd: Great thread :like:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #337 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:31 AM
October 16th

Wow! We are exactly at the middle of the challenge!
Sadly, I don't have any pictures today. Today went by in a blur of work and chores.
During lunch I spread jam on my bread with the large blade.
At the end of the day I opened a box of sushi, but I didn't think to make a picture of it,

So, 15 more days to go.I'm very curious what the rest of the challenge will bring!

I don't wan to leave today without a photo. So here is a picture I took this weekend.

Executive garden posing
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:04:51 AM by Mactire404 »
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #338 on: October 17, 2017, 01:55:50 PM
Great work, guys.

I'm now in Texas for a few days. The Executive has been used for some light nail maintenance and beard trimming. Otherwise, it's just been a pleasant companion in the pocket.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #339 on: October 17, 2017, 03:23:37 PM
 :like: It sure does carry well doesn't it?  We had our first Frost this morning.  I shot this pic when I had my dogs outside.
IMG_20171017_081302.jpg
* IMG_20171017_081302.jpg (Filesize: 329.16 KB)
Barry

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #340 on: October 17, 2017, 08:23:29 PM
10-17
Nail, beard maintenance for me today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline Zhenchok

Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #341 on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:41 PM
This challenge has taught me that I really do not use my SAK from day to day as much as I should.  I carry it daily, but I mostly use it on a weekends to cut a  zipt tie or open a package :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:29:16 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

it Offline Mini

Reply #342 on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:17 PM
Day 17

Really busy day for me today, but relax for the Executive.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #343 on: October 17, 2017, 09:58:42 PM
Oct 17:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #344 on: October 17, 2017, 09:59:44 PM
When in Texas.....

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #345 on: October 17, 2017, 10:01:06 PM
Looks yummy!   :tu:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #346 on: October 17, 2017, 10:21:37 PM
Ambassador and I had an afternoon at a hearing and after that I went out to get some fresh air and blow the cobwebs away
IMG_0265.jpg
* IMG_0265.jpg (Filesize: 188.97 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #347 on: October 18, 2017, 01:00:07 AM
I used a red Executive to cut some paracord for it's white-scaled sibling and attached a quick-release accessory to the red Executive for car keychain duty. I really like having my MiniChamp II SAKs on my cars' keychains but I think it is time to give the Executive some time at mobile duty.

Executive - White with Red Lanyard by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

Executive - Quick Release by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline cody6268

Reply #348 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:57 AM
Couldn't remember where I put it (again!) so here's the photo of the lot it came in over a year ago. The real reason  I bought the lot it was in (which was under $20) was the Mike Horn Souvenir Wenger EVO17, which is an occasional EDC.   The Ambassador was given to a family friend, who lost it (on our property, so it should be easily found, I have an idea it fell out of his pocket near the manure ). The US Navy and Zodiac Classics are in the shadow box on display. The Bucanneers Classic is my current rotation Classic (I've got tons of the darn things), and the Camper (which had heat damaged scales), I still have (and occasionally use).   The Executive was a knife I used to not see the point of, now it's one of my favorite SAKs.

V_W_L_1 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #349 on: October 18, 2017, 03:06:30 AM
Great pics again guys :salute: Love this thread :like:

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #350 on: October 18, 2017, 08:38:39 AM
October 17th

More hard work today which does not leave much room for play.
I managed to use the large blade to open up a pocket-watch in the afternoon to quickly swap out the battery.

Executive, Kinzle and OOZOO

it Offline Mini

Reply #351 on: October 18, 2017, 12:46:30 PM
Beautiful sak Cody! Really like the Mike Horn and also sak with logo.

@Mactire : wow, pocket watches has a lot of charm!

Day 18

Today I have prepared fresh orange juice. Orange are quite big, but there was no problem, I have held the oranges and rotated  them to complete the cut in all the lenght.
IMG_20171018_101641.jpg
* IMG_20171018_101641.jpg (Filesize: 116.85 KB)
IMG_20171018_101705.jpg
* IMG_20171018_101705.jpg (Filesize: 120.68 KB)

us Offline getahl

Reply #352 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:55 PM
Not a lot in the last day or two. It's mainly been on pocket duty. I broke down a diaper box on Monday, because my wife makes a hobby of throwing whole boxes into the recycling bin.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #353 on: October 18, 2017, 08:39:20 PM
10/18. Maintenance day!
IMG_20171018_143142_hdr.jpg
* IMG_20171018_143142_hdr.jpg (Filesize: 243.08 KB)
Barry

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #354 on: October 18, 2017, 11:54:19 PM
...my wife makes a hobby of throwing whole boxes into the recycling bin...
I have one of those to. And half the time she is complaining the garbage container is too small.  :facepalm: :rofl:

October 18th

I find it harder and harder to take photo's of the Executive that I didn't make before.
The usual tasks, like opening packages and making lunch are performed nearly every day.
It will be repetitive to the story to post a picture of my bread and jam every day.
For a moment it had me wondering why to carry a SAK in the first place.
With just a large blade I can do most of the tasks right?

Then this happened:

Executive Screwdriver, Goldmann Perimeter repair

I was testing a visual field when I hear a scraping noise coming from the machine.
There is an arm that I move around with a type of joystick, the arm was scraping against the housing. Or so it seemed.
When I was done testing and I drew the visual field for the doctor I went back to the machine and saw a tiny loose screw.
The screw holds a cover plate in place so there was no structural danger.
The screwdriver on the orange peeler tightened the screw and now the perimeter is noise free again. Now patients can't tell when I'm moving the arm.

It was a great reminder why I carry my SAK. It's not something I do because I got accustomed to or out of sentimental value.
It may be riding in my pocket for days on end. Slumbering in my pocket, travelling along. But when the moment arises it will perform, no matter what. It's incredible if you think about it, the amount of dirt, dust and grime these tools encounter and still perform when you need them to. All you have to do is make sure you have it with you. I learned that besides my fingers, my SAK is the only thing I can always count on. :)

During lunch I spread my jam again. While the Executive manages I'll be glad if the challenge is over and I can use the 91mm large blade again. With the 74mm blade I'm just pushing the jam around.

Executive, cherry jam and bread

Today was swim night again. It was really quite today so I beat my personal best 1000m. I had to leave the Exec the locker.
Back home I made a cup of matcha. I used the large blade as a tiny spoon.

Executive matcha

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #355 on: October 19, 2017, 02:26:23 AM
These are awesome pics and uses everybody!!  It's great to see all the uses of the Executive!
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #356 on: October 19, 2017, 03:13:25 AM
I've been using my Executive to assemble this kit:

So far, this is my progress plus four gear boxes (two are apart, I had to swap some parts, I was a nut short, and gearbox doesn't even need the nuts to mount it): I've used the Executive to cut open parts packs, and file down parts so they'll fit better. I broke a wire at the solder to the motor, so the rest will have to wait until I can get it soldered.

Photo0784 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline getahl

Reply #357 on: October 19, 2017, 03:59:33 AM
I remember using the scissors on something today. Something at work. I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can remember what it was. You can tell how busy it was by how bad my memory is.

Cody,  is that robot looking thing an arm or a grabber?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #358 on: October 19, 2017, 04:01:52 AM
I remember using the scissors on something today. Something at work. I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can remember what it was. You can tell how busy it was by how bad my memory is.

It's an arm, but it has a gripper towards the end. It's really not a robot, provided it uses a wired remote control.

us Offline getahl

Reply #359 on: October 19, 2017, 04:09:52 AM

It's an arm, but it has a gripper towards the end. It's really not a robot, provided it uses a wired remote control.
Looks pretty groovy.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69