Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager Challenge

Nix · 636 · 24719

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #360 on: October 19, 2017, 05:03:46 AM
Still in Texas and eating a lot.

Texas is a good place to find great food!

it Offline Mini

Reply #361 on: October 19, 2017, 11:00:48 AM
Oct 19

Little blade is a perfect letter opener. What will be there? A new friend!
Just in time to partecipate to the challenge, after a good bath, of course.
IMG_20171019_104518.jpg
* IMG_20171019_104518.jpg (Filesize: 90.34 KB)
IMG_20171019_104636.jpg
* IMG_20171019_104636.jpg (Filesize: 106.32 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #362 on: October 19, 2017, 12:53:43 PM
 :like: My kind of mail Mini!!  Day 19 and warming up with a cuppa!
IMG_20171014_082201.jpg
* IMG_20171014_082201.jpg (Filesize: 158.69 KB)
Barry

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #363 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:05 PM
Oct 19

Money Clip? Very nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #364 on: October 19, 2017, 03:12:30 PM
Great mug, Barry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline getahl

Reply #365 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:23 PM
We have a roach problem at work. Last time I drank coffee there, I cleaned out the Keurig and found three suckers staring back at me. Last time. Since September, I've been bringing my own. The Exec opened up a pack of this stuff,  which isn't half bad for instant coffee.  Since i normally drink mine black, I've found Trader Joe's has some pretty good dark roast instant, too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

it Offline Mini

Reply #366 on: October 19, 2017, 04:12:29 PM
Oct 19

Money Clip? Very nice.

Smooth alox Executive without keyring, according to sakwiki http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Executive+74mm
pixlr_20171019110406443.jpg
* pixlr_20171019110406443.jpg (Filesize: 236.12 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #367 on: October 19, 2017, 05:13:22 PM
:like: My kind of mail Mini!!  Day 19 and warming up with a cuppa!

:like:

Very nice, Barry!

My father was a WWII vet.

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #368 on: October 19, 2017, 05:17:17 PM
Oct 19

The little blades are usually pretty sharp on SAKs and I agree that they are great letter openers. I enjoyed your characterization of the new arrival as a new friend. I had two new Executive friends show up in yesterday's mail.

Thanks for sharing, MIni!

:tu:

Jim

it Offline Mini

Reply #369 on: October 19, 2017, 05:33:06 PM
  :cheers:

us Offline getahl

Reply #370 on: October 19, 2017, 07:10:47 PM
Oct 19

Money Clip? Very nice.

Smooth alox Executive without keyring, according to sakwiki http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Executive+74mm
Looks pretty, but they're too slick for my liking.  I have a black one marked DS on the scale.  Carries nicely,  but it falls out of my pocket too often!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #371 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:24 PM
Headed home tomorrow. Been fun being down here, but it sure feels hot for Fall.

I'll reveal the reason for the trip with a photo in the next day or so.

Today I used the small blade to open some packaging holding padlocks and those darn 'safety seals' on a bottle of mouth wash.

So far, the Executive has proven to be a fine road trip knife. But there are still a few days to go. I'm hoping it finishes strong.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #372 on: October 19, 2017, 10:58:01 PM

I like the developing story and look forward to it each day. 

Thanks for sharing, Nix!

Jim

it Offline Mini

Reply #373 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:22 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #374 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:21 PM

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #375 on: October 19, 2017, 11:35:45 PM
Throughout this challenge, my regard for the Executive (that I previously had ignored) has grown substantially.  My Executive collection has also grown from an initial two (bid on two auctions hoping to get one and got both) to eight. Three are new, one has a nail file that is severely blemished (seller sent me another and told me to keep the other), one is in excellent shape and two are cleaned, oiled and ready for sanding/polishing of tools. I have been using the used/excellent shape Executive for paracord/lanyard duty.

The two latest arrived today from Amazon...

Red and Black Executives - New by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #376 on: October 20, 2017, 12:57:37 AM
Great challenge thread :dd: :like:

Glad you have gotten along so well with the Executive guys :tu: :like:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #377 on: October 20, 2017, 02:46:00 AM
Used the small blade and scissors mostly today. I also used the file to fix the screwed up handle/liner on this knife, which was dinged, preventing the bottle opener on this knife from opening or closing smoothly.  It's a small, Sheffield made knife, advertising Hickling Laing & Co, who I can't find a thing on.

Photo0786 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #378 on: October 20, 2017, 04:59:28 AM
10-19
Package opening duty.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #379 on: October 20, 2017, 05:08:25 AM
Throughout this challenge, my regard for the Executive (that I previously had ignored) has grown substantially.  My Executive collection has also grown from an initial two (bid on two auctions hoping to get one and got both) to eight. Three are new, one has a nail file that is severely blemished (seller sent me another and told me to keep the other), one is in excellent shape and two are cleaned, oiled and ready for sanding/polishing of tools. I have been using the used/excellent shape Executive for paracord/lanyard duty.

Those are much prettier than mine. I have to say with all sincerity, that without the spring alignment groove on the scissors, they are nearly useless. The spring pops to the side, and control of the scissors is lost.  Cutting paracord was not the straight forward affair that it is with other knives. The scissors on my Money Clip are much, much easier to use. Unfortunately, I think my Explorer will find its way back into daily use come November. Too bad. I've nearly gotten by fine without the Explorer/Classic combo.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #380 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:37 PM
 :like: I drink Trader Joe's finest too but missed that blend... I'm going to try some myself! 
We have a roach problem at work. Last time I drank coffee there, I cleaned out the Keurig and found three suckers staring back at me. Last time. Since September, I've been bringing my own. The Exec opened up a pack of this stuff,  which isn't half bad for instant coffee.  Since i normally drink mine black, I've found Trader Joe's has some pretty good dark roast instant, too.(Image removed from quote.)

Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #381 on: October 20, 2017, 12:37:21 PM
Day 20: The boys and I went to our first hockey game last night.  Home team :like: won!
1508495767936.jpg
* 1508495767936.jpg (Filesize: 156.56 KB)
Barry

it Offline Mini

Reply #382 on: October 20, 2017, 01:31:11 PM
Day 20
In the beginning of the challenge, I used the serrated blade with carrots to scrape them. Now I tried to peel them with blade. It's quite boring, scrapping them was faster and now I have produced more waste.
IMG_20171019_094223.jpg
* IMG_20171019_094223.jpg (Filesize: 119.78 KB)

us Offline getahl

Reply #383 on: October 20, 2017, 02:44:03 PM
:like: I drink Trader Joe's finest too but missed that blend... I'm going to try some myself! 
We have a roach problem at work. Last time I drank coffee there, I cleaned out the Keurig and found three suckers staring back at me. Last time. Since September, I've been bringing my own. The Exec opened up a pack of this stuff,  which isn't half bad for instant coffee.  Since i normally drink mine black, I've found Trader Joe's has some pretty good dark roast instant, too.(Image removed from quote.)

I'll take a picture of the bottle when I get to work for you. Confession time, the bottle is holding Folgers right now, because I ran out of TJs, and the spoon didn't fit in the Folgers jar. Feels good to get that off my chest.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #384 on: October 20, 2017, 04:17:24 PM
I appreciate it!  I understand.... Folgers has the best container in the Coffee business!
Barry

us Offline getahl

Reply #385 on: October 20, 2017, 08:01:56 PM
Here we go. For instant coffee, the  Trader Joe's was really good.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #386 on: October 20, 2017, 10:50:29 PM

Those are much prettier than mine. I have to say with all sincerity, that without the spring alignment groove on the scissors, they are nearly useless. The spring pops to the side, and control of the scissors is lost.  Cutting paracord was not the straight forward affair that it is with other knives. The scissors on my Money Clip are much, much easier to use. Unfortunately, I think my Explorer will find its way back into daily use come November. Too bad. I've nearly gotten by fine without the Explorer/Classic combo.

I just had a chance to examine the Executives that I purchased thus far and found two with no groove as you described.  However, both of them worked without popping to the side. The other six including all three of my new Executives had the groove. I did notice that the two without the groove did not cut as well as the others (at least a couple of samples with grooves). I even tried a 58mm scissors and that cut better than the two non-grooved Executives. I purchased a new blue scaled Executive and won a lengthy bid on an older Executive in pristine condition. I expect the blue scaled Executive to have the groove and the older model to not have one. Thanks for pointing out the scissor groove issue because I missed it!

Jim

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #387 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:24 PM
Oct 20:

Headed back to New Mexico.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #388 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:42 AM

I just had a chance to examine the Executives that I purchased thus far and found two with no groove as you described.  However, both of them worked without popping to the side. The other six including all three of my new Executives had the groove. I did notice that the two without the groove did not cut as well as the others (at least a couple of samples with grooves). I even tried a 58mm scissors and that cut better than the two non-grooved Executives. I purchased a new blue scaled Executive and won a lengthy bid on an older Executive in pristine condition. I expect the blue scaled Executive to have the groove and the older model to not have one. Thanks for pointing out the scissor groove issue because I missed it!

Jim
Just a tip, on the ones with no groove with the spring problem, check if the spring is leaning more to one side(which could cause it to pop out more).
I had the same problem on some 91mm scissors with a screw pivot and no groove.
Turned out that the screw was a little loose, AND the spring was leaning towards one side a little bit. Tightened the screw, and pushed the spring near the base to straighten it up.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #389 on: October 21, 2017, 12:13:58 AM
Oct 20:

Headed back to New Mexico.

(Image removed from quote.)

Love the Executive, map & street view overlay effect!

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69