Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager Challenge

Nix · 636 · 24717

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Re: Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #390 on: October 21, 2017, 12:15:51 AM
Throughout this challenge, my regard for the Executive (that I previously had ignored) has grown substantially.  My Executive collection has also grown from an initial two (bid on two auctions hoping to get one and got both) to eight. Three are new, one has a nail file that is severely blemished (seller sent me another and told me to keep the other), one is in excellent shape and two are cleaned, oiled and ready for sanding/polishing of tools. I have been using the used/excellent shape Executive for paracord/lanyard duty.

The two latest arrived today from Amazon...

Red and Black Executives - New by NorCal Jim, on Flickr
Those are much prettier than mine. I have to say with all sincerity, that without the spring alignment groove on the scissors, they are nearly useless. The spring pops to the side, and control of the scissors is lost.  Cutting paracord was not the straight forward affair that it is with other knives. The scissors on my Money Clip are much, much easier to use. Unfortunately, I think my Explorer will find its way back into daily use come November. Too bad. I've nearly gotten by fine without the Explorer/Classic combo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I just had a chance to examine the Executives that I purchased thus far and found two with no groove as you described.  However, both of them worked without popping to the side. The other six including all three of my new Executives had the groove. I did notice that the two without the groove did not cut as well as the others (at least a couple of samples with grooves). I even tried a 58mm scissors and that cut better than the two non-grooved Executives. I purchased a new blue scaled Executive and won a lengthy bid on an older Executive in pristine condition. I expect the blue scaled Executive to have the groove and the older model to not have one. Thanks for pointing out the scissor groove issue because I missed it!

Jim
Just a tip, on the ones with no groove with the spring problem, check if the spring is leaning more to one side(which could cause it to pop out more).
I had the same problem on some 91mm scissors with a screw pivot and no groove.
Turned out that the screw was a little loose, AND the spring was leaning towards one side a little bit. Tightened the screw, and pushed the spring near the base to straighten it up.

The scissors of the two no groove Executives are dead center.

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #391 on: October 21, 2017, 12:17:19 AM
Here we go. For instant coffee, the  Trader Joe's was really good.(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

:like:

Opening Trader Joe coffee is a perfect task for the Executive!

:tu:

Jim

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #392 on: October 21, 2017, 02:49:12 AM
Primarily pen blade use.

Photo0788 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #393 on: October 21, 2017, 05:07:51 AM
 :like: :like:. I know that blend and I agree... great instant coffee!!
Here we go. For instant coffee, the  Trader Joe's was really good.(Image removed from quote.)

Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #394 on: October 21, 2017, 05:15:51 AM
Great uses and pics guys :tu: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #395 on: October 21, 2017, 05:47:00 AM
Oct 20 (still):

Long day driving today. I hope to be back home tomorrow, but I still have 900 miles to go....

The reason for the road trip is this:

I drove down to Texas to pick up a vintage Morton motorcycle. It's not running right now, but hopefully a little pampering will bring it back to life.

Executive got used a few times today to open small packages of peanuts. For that task the small blade worked better than the orange peeler tool.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #396 on: October 21, 2017, 06:41:16 AM
Oct 20 (still):

Long day driving today. I hope to be back home tomorrow, but I still have 900 miles to go....

The reason for the road trip is this:

(Image removed from quote.)

I drove down to Texas to pick up a vintage Morton motorcycle. It's not running right now, but hopefully a little pampering will bring it back to life.

Executive got used a few times today to open small packages of peanuts. For that task the small blade worked better than the orange peeler tool.

That is quite the revelation

Meanwhile, thanks to this challenge, I am up to 10 Executives since I had to have a new blue scale version and I put a bid on a longer-duration auction that I didn't expect to win but did. I spent about 40 minutes with the eight I have already received and figure that four will get the full rehab treatment and one will just need some sprucing up.

Jim

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:42:49 AM by NorCalJim »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #397 on: October 21, 2017, 06:55:43 AM
Throughout this challenge, my regard for the Executive (that I previously had ignored) has grown substantially.  My Executive collection has also grown from an initial two (bid on two auctions hoping to get one and got both) to eight. Three are new, one has a nail file that is severely blemished (seller sent me another and told me to keep the other), one is in excellent shape and two are cleaned, oiled and ready for sanding/polishing of tools. I have been using the used/excellent shape Executive for paracord/lanyard duty.

The two latest arrived today from Amazon...

Red and Black Executives - New by NorCal Jim, on Flickr
Those are much prettier than mine. I have to say with all sincerity, that without the spring alignment groove on the scissors, they are nearly useless. The spring pops to the side, and control of the scissors is lost.  Cutting paracord was not the straight forward affair that it is with other knives. The scissors on my Money Clip are much, much easier to use. Unfortunately, I think my Explorer will find its way back into daily use come November. Too bad. I've nearly gotten by fine without the Explorer/Classic combo.

I just had a chance to examine the Executives that I purchased thus far and found two with no groove as you described.  However, both of them worked without popping to the side. The other six including all three of my new Executives had the groove. I did notice that the two without the groove did not cut as well as the others (at least a couple of samples with grooves). I even tried a 58mm scissors and that cut better than the two non-grooved Executives. I purchased a new blue scaled Executive and won a lengthy bid on an older Executive in pristine condition. I expect the blue scaled Executive to have the groove and the older model to not have one. Thanks for pointing out the scissor groove issue because I missed it!

Jim
Just a tip, on the ones with no groove with the spring problem, check if the spring is leaning more to one side(which could cause it to pop out more).
I had the same problem on some 91mm scissors with a screw pivot and no groove.
Turned out that the screw was a little loose, AND the spring was leaning towards one side a little bit. Tightened the screw, and pushed the spring near the base to straighten it up.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Just nail duty today.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #398 on: October 21, 2017, 11:59:31 AM

We have a roach problem at work...
...Since September, I've been bringing my own.
That's nasty! We just have a case of bad coffee at work here. I've been bringing my own for about a year now.
Certainly the best decision I ever made here. Every morning and after lunch I brew my own French press coffee.

October 19th

I think my Executive is just shy.

Today I forgot my phone and could not take any photo's because of it.
I don't think I have used the Executive more during this challenge than today!
Sadly, we have to do without pictures...

Some of the tasks performed today: cutting pie, peeling an apple, fixing an external fixation light on equipment. I had to walk a fair bit and had some very nice vistas the Executive could have posed in. But alas, no camera.

I did seal the deal on a new SAK. it appears to be a Champion C. Fluted screwdriver, crosshatched metal file, ring near the corkscrew and no pliers. I'm very exited about this. But I have to be patient. Luckily I have an Executive to keep me company until it arrives.

Here's an incredibly crabby picture of my nightstand at the end of the day. This is where the Executive sleeps.
I've made a leather EDC valet in which I put all my stuff. Before I just put in in 'one of several locations' and I had to look for everything in the morning.

Executive, Casio W-800, Suunto Clipper and Photon Freedom

I guess it wasn't really helping, since I forgot my phone. But to be fair my phone charges in another room.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #399 on: October 21, 2017, 12:16:59 PM
October 20th

We went to IKEA today. Mostly for inspiration, but I had three specific goals there: a cabinet insert, oil and something to store my SAKs and knives.
I only succeeded for the first two. I'm afraid I have to make my SAK cabinet myself.

We had an awesome lunch. I bought a cheese plate and some bread. I tried to cut the bread with the Executive, but the large blade was not big enough. I tried IKEAs cutlery but that just destroyed the bread. So I ended up using my Small Sebenza instead. I did get some looks though, I didn't think and pulled out a knife and flipped it open. Our table was surrounded by parents with kids... One guy commented on it, we had a talk, he saw the knife, now he wants one and has an argument with his wife. Good times.

Back home (it was a loooong day) I had to put the Executive to work. The large blade cup open the packaging of the Variera cabinet insert.

Executive Variera

There are four screws that put the thing together but the screwdriver on the tip of the nail file was too small. I could have forced it in but didn't want to damage the Exec. So I picked up the CyberTool 34 and used that instead.

Executive, CyberTool34, kitchen cabinet

it Offline Mini

Reply #400 on: October 21, 2017, 01:43:49 PM
Day 21

Want to reach the kid oil and empty the tube, so I have cut it and now can take oil with the finger.

IMG_20171021_131819.jpg
* IMG_20171021_131819.jpg (Filesize: 87.1 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #401 on: October 21, 2017, 04:54:40 PM
Day 21

Want to reach the kid oil and empty the tube, so I have cut it and now can take oil with the finger.

Very nice looking Executive!

Jim

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #402 on: October 21, 2017, 06:13:06 PM
Nice bike Nix!!  I love old British bikes!  For day 20 I used the tweezers to help me top off the fluid in my Zippo.
IMG_20171020_192125.jpg
* IMG_20171020_192125.jpg (Filesize: 150.06 KB)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:14:19 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #403 on: October 21, 2017, 08:22:32 PM
Nice bike Nix!!  I love old British bikes!  For day 20 I used the tweezers to help me top off the fluid in my Zippo.

Good call Barry. I still love my zippo though I haven't smoked for years. Today I picked up some more sunflower seeds for the Goldfinches which come to my garden to argue with each other over who gets them first now we're heading toward winter. The Ambassador made sure they got fed !
IMG_0266.jpg
* IMG_0266.jpg (Filesize: 227.41 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #404 on: October 21, 2017, 11:19:44 PM
I've spent some time with my Executives needing restoration work and decided to see if a wire brush would be effective in sprucing up a blemished file...

Before:
Executive Nail File - Before by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

After first pass with wire brush:
Executive File Repair - 1 by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

I was doing a quick feasibility test with the wire brush attached to my Dremel with no petroleum products used and am now confident that it can be restored. This particular Executive will need a thorough cleaning and full spa treatment, progressive sanding on blades, polishing and new scales.  There is hardly any snap but I expect that to be fully remedied with cleaning.

There are a few candidates awaiting their turn...
Executives Awaiting Rehabilitation by NorCal Jim, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:22:13 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #405 on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:41 PM
miss you guys!
dc6bcc088c63a890b6a00e3e64821e64.jpg
* dc6bcc088c63a890b6a00e3e64821e64.jpg (Filesize: 22.12 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

it Offline Mini

Reply #406 on: October 22, 2017, 12:23:55 AM
Going minimal carry, has convinced that for me the funniest part is rotating edc and choosing what to carry. For the 90% of the task that I do, and  probably more, Executive is sufficient. But during these days I'm still looking to my sak, thinking that when challenge will ended, I will carry my swiss champ for some days, and then start rotating as usually.

And again, excuse me for all the mistakes in my post 😯

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #407 on: October 22, 2017, 12:34:19 AM
Going minimal carry, has convinced that for me the funniest part is rotating edc and choosing what to carry. For the 90% of the task that I do, and  probably more, Executive is sufficient. But during these days I'm still looking to my sak, thinking that when challenge will ended, I will carry my swiss champ for some days, and then start rotating as usually.

And again, excuse me for all the mistakes in my post 😯

Hooray! Another Swiss Champ Owner! You should post on the Swiss Champ Sunday topic thread. I try to use a variety of my SAKs with special attention to the Explorer, Swiss Champ and MiniChamp II.  Thanks to this challenge, the Executive will be part of that mix of most used SAKs.

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline cody6268

Reply #408 on: October 22, 2017, 02:48:08 AM
I recently discovered that while trimming the parts on my robot project, the Executive's small blade is easier to control than an 84mm pen blade.  Just trimming the parts has dulled the pen blade. I tried my D2 Queen Railsplitter (as D2 holds its edge longer than other steels and is highly wear resistant), but it really wasn't sharp out of the box, and I can't sharpen D2. This is as far as I'll get until I get the spare parts from OWI, the maker of kit. The next step was to install the gearbox with the motor to which I broke the lead wire to. I need to get myself a decent soldering iron and kit and learn how to solder.  I cheated, and went ahead and built the controller/pendant, to be able to test my work as I went along.

Photo0791 by cody6268, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:50:16 AM by cody6268 »

nl Offline Mactire404

Reply #409 on: October 22, 2017, 03:03:10 AM
October 21st

Today is a lazy with perhaps a pleasant surprise.
I like to enjoy the morning quit with a cup of coffee and a treat. This is some Tonies Chocolonely chocolate. Note that I'm not eating an entire bar, just two pieces. Kudos to me!  :D

Executive morning coffee

We did some grocery shopping. When I got home I used the Exec to cut the coupons from the packaging.
Supposedly this is a typical Dutch thing. I don't care. I only need about 10.000 more points till I get my free coffee maker! (I've been saving them for 2,5 years now haha)

Executive coupon cutting

Then I visited my parents for a cup of coffee and a chat aaaaahnd... a package has arrived!

Executive Champion

The Executive quickly removed the packaging of the Champion. It needs some work, but I'm loving it.
Too bad I'm not finished with the Chuck Yeager Challenge, so I won't be carrying it for a while. :facepalm:

Offline Dutchie_27

Reply #410 on: October 22, 2017, 06:10:59 AM
Hello, I’ll introduce myself after this. I found out about this “challenge only today, through edc forum”
I felt like i had to try this so just went online, ordered myself a executive and its arriving tuesday.
Only down side, i’m only arriving home again thursday so I can only officially start this challenge on friday! Better late than never, I’ll keep you guys posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline getahl

Reply #411 on: October 22, 2017, 06:51:51 AM
Hello, I’ll introduce myself after this. I found out about this “challenge only today, through edc forum”
I felt like i had to try this so just went online, ordered myself a executive and its arriving tuesday.
Only down side, i’m only arriving home again thursday so I can only officially start this challenge on friday! Better late than never, I’ll keep you guys posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome,  the more, the merrier. Welcome!

Today was busy, but not for my knife. On a camp out with my boy's Scout troop at a local school. Didn't even make it out of my pocket. My boy is asleep next to me right now, so here's a quick in tent glamour shot.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #412 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:07 PM
Welcome aboard and better late than never!!  :cheers:

I put the main blade to use cutting the tip off a cigar but couldn't get a pic. 
IMG_20171014_080031.jpg
* IMG_20171014_080031.jpg (Filesize: 150.19 KB)
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #413 on: October 22, 2017, 02:21:16 PM
Got home late last night. Great trip, but I'm really tired.

Yesterday, was fighting a fierce wind all day.  Executive remained undaunted, but stayed in the pocket until I hit the driveway. Good to be back.

From Oct 21:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #414 on: October 22, 2017, 03:41:56 PM
Glad you made it home safely buddy!!  I'd love to see more pics of your Norton when you can.  I spent some lovely moments with an old friends Bonneville last night.  I love British bikes!
Barry

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #415 on: October 22, 2017, 04:33:22 PM
I'm at my wonderful mother-in-law's house, and I still recommend the Planetary Designs coffee press mug. I keep mine at work. That way, I have coffee whenever I want; roach free.
This is also a perfect travel companion, as this picture shows. This particular version has a storage capsule in the base which keeps coffee grounds at the ready.

The Executive was there yesterday for toothpick duty.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #416 on: October 22, 2017, 05:59:16 PM
I'm at my wonderful mother-in-law's house, and I still recommend the Planetary Designs coffee press mug. I keep mine at work. That way, I have coffee whenever I want; roach free.
This is also a perfect travel companion, as this picture shows. This particular version has a storage capsule in the base which keeps coffee grounds at the ready.

The Executive was there yesterday for toothpick duty.(Image removed from quote.)

I'm getting so used to seeing these home-spun photos. I think we need to figure out a way of featuring the Executive on an on-going basis like 2-layer Tuesday or the Executive Owners' Group (maybe even the Executive Lounge). :)

Jim

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #417 on: October 22, 2017, 07:14:40 PM
More great pics guys :like: :like:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #418 on: October 22, 2017, 07:23:13 PM

The Executive was there yesterday for toothpick duty.(Image removed from quote.)

I'm getting so used to seeing these home-spun photos. I think we need to figure out a way of featuring the Executive on an on-going basis like 2-layer Tuesday or the Executive Owners' Group (maybe even the Executive Lounge). :)

Jim

The Executive Lounge sounds excellent  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #419 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:32 PM

Jim

The Executive Lounge sounds excellent  :cheers:

I like the sound of the The Executive Lounge and think that it would be a good topic thread for displaying love and utility for the Executive after the Chuck Yeager Challenge completes.

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD