Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chuck Yeager Challenge

Nix · 636 · 24689

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Chuck Yeager Challenge
Reply #420 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:07 PM
The Executive Lounge sounds excellent  :cheers:

Love this idea.  :tu:

us Offline getahl

Reply #421 on: October 22, 2017, 08:49:20 PM
Executive lounge sounds good to me, with the Director's Cut or Chair for good measure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

it Offline Mini

Reply #422 on: October 22, 2017, 10:51:36 PM
Hello, I’ll introduce myself after this. I found out about this “challenge only today, through edc forum”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!  :cheers:

it Offline Mini

Reply #423 on: October 22, 2017, 10:57:21 PM
Day 22

Today we made again some pomegranate juice. Like the last time, we used the tip of the serrated blade to pull out the seeds.

IMG_20171021_103141.jpg
* IMG_20171021_103141.jpg (Filesize: 120.05 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #424 on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:57 PM
 :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #425 on: October 23, 2017, 12:00:25 AM

I felt like i had to try this so just went online, ordered myself a executive and its arriving tuesday.
Only down side, i’m only arriving home again thursday so I can only officially start this challenge on friday! Better late than never, I’ll keep you guys posted!

Great to have you joining us on this challenge.

If I don't get everything done that I want to do in the 30 days, I may extend a little. We'll see how that goes; I may start getting itchy for a Soldier! However, up to this point (and we're 2/3's the way through) it has been a very nice challenge to do. As others have said, I have learned that I like EDCing a knife more than I really need to EDC a knife. Still, there are moments when I'm really glad I remember to carry one!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #426 on: October 23, 2017, 12:13:19 AM
Oct 22:

Busy day unpacking, returning the trailer, picking up groceries, etc....

Used the Executive to slice up some cheese for a midday snack:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #427 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:25 AM
Day 22

Today we made again some pomegranate juice. Like the last time, we used the tip of the serrated blade to pull out the seeds.

You are joined by others in this challenge who use the Executive for food preparation tasks. This brings up the matter of keeping the Executive clean and well maintained. The photos show that the Executive tools of the participants are clean and ready to go for the next task.

In my enthusiasm for the Executive, I have purchased four new, one like new and the remaining five were supposed to range from very good to excellent. Unfortunately, my definition of very good to excellent is much different than the sellers' understanding of those terms. One of the Executives has no snap and dirt and debris between the liners. So, while all here are focussing on daily tasks such as preparing pomegranate juice, I have been concentrating on restoration and maintenance. The good news is that I will be able to restore the tools to excellent condition by cleaning, disinfecting, sanding, polishing and replacing scales. As with other hobbies, it is important to me to have the ability to keep my SAKs looking great and working well.

Thanks for participating in this challenge and sharing your use of the Executive!

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #428 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:29 AM
Oct 22:

Busy day unpacking, returning the trailer, picking up groceries, etc....

Used the Executive to slice up some cheese for a midday snack:

(Image removed from quote.)

Another example of food preparation and keeping your Executive clean, well-maintained and ready to go!

Jim

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #429 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:08 AM
A must with any knife, Jim!  :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #430 on: October 23, 2017, 02:26:12 AM
Mostly used the pen blade today, but I used the file as a marlinspike on a tough knot.

Photo0045 by cody6268, on Flickr

us Offline getahl

Reply #431 on: October 23, 2017, 03:52:48 AM
Cooked up some sausage and peppers for dinner. I may have used the large blade once or twice to check if they were done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #432 on: October 23, 2017, 08:59:03 AM
Mostly used the pen blade today, but I used the file as a marlinspike on a tough knot.

Photo0045 by cody6268, on Flickr
Great idea. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #433 on: October 23, 2017, 10:22:51 AM
I think we need to figure out a way of featuring the Executive on an on-going basis ...
the Executive Owners' Group (maybe even the Executive Lounge)
:tu:

October 22nd

Lazy Sunday. And it really was. Event though we had people coming over.
I did some cooking, made beef stew and prepared the soy chicken for tomorrow.
The Executive helped me opening packages and cut a pepper.

I prepared a cheeseboard to have it on room temperature when our guests arrived. The Executive didn´t cut any cheese apart from a brie cheese. That stuff is sticky and gets everywhere. So I just opened the packages with the Exec.
The end result wasn´t quite what I had in mind, but was favourably received by the guests.
After dinner all of us could hardy walk because we were stuffed!  :facepalm:

ï
Executive cheese board
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #434 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:31 PM
That looks delicious!!! :drool:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #435 on: October 23, 2017, 12:34:52 PM
October 23: Used the Executive to open a bag of food for our sheepdogs.  This knife is drawn to food of all kinds!
IMG_20171023_060528.jpg
* IMG_20171023_060528.jpg (Filesize: 126.65 KB)
Barry

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #436 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:43 PM
I keep saying it, but I'm so pleased this thread has highlighted the Executive.  I've been toughting, most times alone, the usefulness of this SAK.  I'm excited that others are now realizing this.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

it Offline Mini

Reply #437 on: October 23, 2017, 02:04:05 PM
Day 23

Orange peeler in action. It's windy and cold is arriving, so having vitamin C is a good idea for its benefits.

IMG_20171023_135655.jpg
* IMG_20171023_135655.jpg (Filesize: 81.16 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #438 on: October 23, 2017, 03:59:23 PM
Day 23

Orange peeler in action. It's windy and cold is arriving, so having vitamin C is a good idea for its benefits.

The orange peeler peeling an orange!  Since I envision this tool as a plastic blister pack opener, I forget that it is an orange peeler. :)

I just noticed the alox scales!  :like:

Jim

it Offline Mini

Reply #439 on: October 23, 2017, 05:45:40 PM

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #440 on: October 23, 2017, 07:23:31 PM

I felt like i had to try this so just went online, ordered myself a executive and its arriving tuesday.
Only down side, i’m only arriving home again thursday so I can only officially start this challenge on friday! Better late than never, I’ll keep you guys posted!

Great to have you joining us on this challenge.

If I don't get everything done that I want to do in the 30 days, I may extend a little. We'll see how that goes; I may start getting itchy for a Soldier! However, up to this point (and we're 2/3's the way through) it has been a very nice challenge to do. As others have said, I have learned that I like EDCing a knife more than I really need to EDC a knife. Still, there are moments when I'm really glad I remember to carry one!

+1 to this. There's what you need, which is often quite limited if you think about it, and what you want ... which is usually SwissChamp sized. I have kept with the Ambassador but I am envious of those of you luxuriating with a great file and an orange peeler  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #441 on: October 23, 2017, 11:51:42 PM
Oct 23:

I'd love to see more pics of your Norton when you can.

Oh, dear, Barry. This may be a case of be careful of what you wish. As much as I like taking pictures of SAK, I love even more pictures of motorcycles.

This Norton will be a project bike. It sat without running in the Texas heat for about 5-years or more. A number of things to put right. She turns over but doesn't fire up. The battery won't stay charged. The rear brake is locked up and the front brake doesn't hold fluid. The engine mount bolts need to be replaced. The carbs need cleaning and tuning. The tires go flat and need to be replaced. The battery cover is held on with a cable tie.

Yes, it was love at first sight.

And for challenge purposes, my Exec is resting over the battery cover.....

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #442 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:11 AM
Carrying the Executive has become second nature now. I find it caries really easily and it proves to be a very practical knife.

At first I was using the orange peeling tool a good bit, but, after a while, I found that the small blade is more useful for most tasks. The small blade has become my default blade for opening packages, cutting string, and other mundane tasks. The larger blade generally gets used for food-related tasks, and there are always lots of those.  :D

I find the serrations on the orange peeler tool can snag on some materials and don't cut thick paper as well as the simple small blade. I do still need to try to use the orange peeler to cut a zip tie (cable tie); I suspect it will work well for that.

So, I'm still a bit up in the air about the Executive vs the Ambassador. The nail file on the Exec is really very good, and the little spear point on the file works nicely for opening up the little vent holes in the lid of a disposable coffee cups, as well as letting air out of tires, light prying, and, of course, nail cleaning. The nail file might be the reason to go with the Executive over the Ambassador, but that is a mighty slim advantage given all that the Ambassador has to offer in a slightly smaller package.

(Oddly, I now have two Executives and only one Ambassador.  :think:)

But the challenge continues and I'm sure there is more to learn!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:04:32 AM by Nix »

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #443 on: October 24, 2017, 12:53:30 AM
Oct 23:

I'd love to see more pics of your Norton when you can.

Oh, dear, Barry. This may be a case of be careful of what you wish. As much as I like taking pictures of SAK, I love even more pictures of motorcycles.

This Norton will be a project bike. It sat without running in the Texas heat for about 5-years or more. A number of things to put right. She turns over but doesn't fire up. The battery won't stay charged. The rear brake is locked up and the front brake doesn't hold fluid. The engine mount bolts need to be replaced. The carbs need cleaning and tuning. The tires go flat and need to be replaced. The battery cover is held on with a cable tie.

Yes, it was love at first sight.

And for challenge purposes, my Exec is resting over the battery cover.....

Hopefully, this will be a labor of love!

Jim

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #444 on: October 24, 2017, 12:58:44 AM
Carrying the Executive has become second nature now. I find it caries really easily and it proves to be a very practical knife.

At first I was using the orange peeling tool a good bit, but, after a while, I found that the small blade is more useful for most tasks. The small blade has become my default blade for opening packages, cutting string, and other mundane tasks. The larger blade generally gets used for food-related tasks, and there are always lots of those.  :D

I find the serrations on the orange peeler tool can snag on some materials and don't cut thick paper as well as the simple small blade. I do still need to try to use the orange peeler to cut a zip tie (cable tie); I suspect it will work well for that.

So, I'm still a bit up in the air about the Executive vs the Ambassador. The nail file on the Exec is really very good, and the little spear point on the file works nicely for opening up the little vent holes in the lid of a disposable coffee cups, as well as letting air out of tires, light prying, and, of course, nail cleaning. The nail file might be the reason to go with the Executive over the Ambassador, but that is a mighty slim advantage given all that the Ambassador has to offer in a slightly smaller package.

(Oddly, I now have two Executives and only one Ambassador.  :think:)

But the challenge continues and I'm sure there is more to learn!

I considered an Ambassador but am having too much fun with Executives.  I received my new blue-scale Executive in today's mail and it looks worlds better than the stock photo. I also received an older Executive in pristine condition (no groove for scissor operation). I used the main blade to open a small cardboard package with ease.

Jim

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #445 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:48 AM
I love the idea of a Blue Scales version. Can you put up a photo for us?

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #446 on: October 24, 2017, 03:42:59 AM
I love the idea of a Blue Scales version. Can you put up a photo for us?

I will be posting a photo of the blue scale Executive later this week (probably tomorrow).

I do have an observation about the Executive scissors. I am referring to the Executive scissors where there is no groove to assist with spring action.  As I was admiring the pristine older Executive with no groove, I decided to cut some paracord.  I was very surprised to see that it didn't cut with one snip and that continual sawing mostly cut it with the exception of a couple of strands. I then reached for a 58mm Classic and easily cut the paracord. I then used the Executive's main blade to easily cut some paracord. I expect that one of the newer Executives with a groove for the scissors will also easily cut the paracord. I need to confirm this soon. If my experiments prove what I suspect, I will be getting rid of the grooveless Executives.

Jim

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #447 on: October 24, 2017, 03:47:05 AM
I think I'll be buying another Executive before this challenge is over. I see another cheap lot that's got an Executive, Ambassador, and Money Clip in it that I need to get.

Nail care today, used the nail file to clean gunk out from under my nails, and the scissors to cut my nails.

Photo0793 by cody6268, on Flickr

it Offline Mini

Reply #448 on: October 24, 2017, 10:04:32 AM
Oct 24th

I have some clothes that can't be reused, so  I cut them in smaller pieces than can be useful to clean. The serrated blade is perfect, works better than blades and scissor, specially where there are thick seams.
IMG_20171024_095451.jpg
* IMG_20171024_095451.jpg (Filesize: 75.81 KB)

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #449 on: October 24, 2017, 01:21:42 PM
I'll have to check my Execs for this groove that keeps getting mentioned.  I never noticed its presence of lack there of.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%