Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mactires 111mm SAKs

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Mactires 111mm SAKs
on: October 02, 2017, 10:21:37 AM

111mm SAKs

Years ago my dad got a 111mm SAK for his birthday. I can't remember the model, but it had green scales and a slide lock large blade. It lived in the car for years and currently it's missing in action.
My personal encounter with a 111mm was years later, when I got the Parachutist for my birthday. I wanted a SAK with black scales and the Parachutist was the only they had in stock.
The 111mm Parachutist was a lot larger than my usual carry, a Handyman, and lacked a lot of the tools.
Somehow the Parachutist didn't spark any interest for daily carry, even though it's a very nice knife.

Then something funny happened. I bought a Soldier 08 at a sale. What a knife! One handed opening, liner lock and a great toolset! I fell in love with the 111mm knives. Although they aren't daily carry for me, I take them with me when the need arises.
I loved the German Army Knife for it's scales. The embossed logo looks really great. So when I got word of the 2010 DAK, well, I had to have it. Dual one handed opening blades, it's a dream come true.

Sentinel, Parachutist, RescueTool, Swiss Army Knife 08, Dutch Army Knife 2010

Funny how you can change your mind about something. At this point I really like 111mm. I'm running for the level 1 badge now, but I can imagine the level 2 happening in the future.

When I got my car I knew I needed a RescueTool. I've been on the road a lot and have seen my share of accidents. The RescueTools will get you out of your car, but will also get you into someone elses. Just in case. I'm really impressed with this SAK.

Another thing I completely changed my mind about are serrated blades. The main reason I don't like them is sharpening,
All of my sharpening methods are for straight ground blades. I still have to figure out a way to sharpen the serrated blades properly. But they have proven their use to me and when I decided on getting a Sentinel to mod to an all orange SAK I picked up another partially serrated blade. It's great for cutting fresch bread.

Partially serrated blades and one straight blade

So, what does the future hold. I've got my eye on a couple more 111mm models. I'd like the 111mm Handyman version (can't recall the name right now), the Locksmith looks really great and so does the Hunter. I really like the orange! Oh, and the cheesknife looks great for pick-nicks!

One handed openers, one nail nick
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Mactires 111mm SAKs
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:27:51 AM
Great set of 111mm knives and great story!

:cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Mactires 111mm SAKs
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:35 AM
Awarded.   :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice