Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

That feeling when you don't have a knife on your person

Steinar · 107 · 5091

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Today I went to an MR facility. So, to avoid forgetting to empty my pockets for metal, I only carry a SwissChamp in my bag today. So... having only a SwissChamp... I kind of feel naked because there is no knife on my person.  :facepalm:

SwissChamp is a little too much for pocket carry in an office environment, but I'm thinking of it...  :rofl:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: That feeling when you don't have a knife on your person
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
I can recommend carrying it on a dangler and provided you don't wear these tight jeggings that the youth seem to favour nowadays you should be fine. It carries really well.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:48:34 AM
I have to agree on that.
My daily carry is a Handyman on a selfmade dangler. As long as it's not sits at the bottom of your pocket you should be fine. I've had a Champ for a few days, while slightly less comfortable I'd say it's no problem.
It's really a great knife to have around.

And that feeling, it's cringe-worthy. I hate it because of two reasons:
- It makes me feel I forgot something
- There is bound to be a situation where I miss it
- It makes me feel naked
So theres three reasons!  :D

I'd rather forget my phone, keys and wallet than my SAK,  :facepalm:
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:58 PM
I kind of feel naked because there is no knife on my person.  :facepalm:
Yep, there are terrible times in a mans life :dwts:.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:42 PM
Last summer my wife rushed me out of the apartment to walk to this outdoor cafe to have dinner and watch the sun set. I couldn't find my keys and she said, "Forget them. We can use my mine." I was a bit flustered and ended up leaving with just my wallet and cell phone, nothing else. Sure enough when we are walking home she sees a discarded shelf system on the street and wanted the support posts to use in her office. The problem was that they were heavily taped together with a bunch of other pieces of the shelf. She holds up a bundle and asks me to cut it open. I tell her I don't have any knife on me and she gives me this puzzled look and is almost mad at me. It was a weird feeling :poh: So I said give me your keys. She has a zippered pouch attached to her keys and inside was the Midnight Manager I had given her several years ago. The blade was still sharp and disaster and marital strife were averted  :dd:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:16:36 PM
I always carry a knife and a saw. And backups. And more backups ...

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:21:12 PM
A couple times a year I get a day where I'm in a rush and out of routine and find myself knife less, too. And always say the same, I feel naked.
And hope to myself nothing comes up requiring my pocket knife. A psychological dependence ??? I'd say yes if we didn't actually need the darn things
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:11 PM
Today I went to an MR facility. So, to avoid forgetting to empty my pockets for metal, I only carry a SwissChamp in my bag today. So... having only a SwissChamp... I kind of feel naked because there is no knife on my person.  :facepalm:

SwissChamp is a little too much for pocket carry in an office environment, but I'm thinking of it...  :rofl:
What is an MR facility? And if you had a SwissChamp with you, didn't you in fact have two knives at hand?  :think:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:50 PM
I have a tiered system. If I have left the house, I have my keys on me, and there will be something useful on there. If I have my neck lanyard on, there will be something useful on there too. Then there's my pocket tool/s of choice for the day, and if I'm away from home for any length of time and have a bag with me, you can be pretty sure there will be something useful in there too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:56:43 PM
That;s is why i'm not into nudism, because should I be naked there is no descent way to store a knife.  :gimme:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 10:31:38 PM

What is an MR facility? And if you had a SwissChamp with you, didn't you in fact have two knives at hand?  :think:

The SwissChamp was in my bag, not a pocket on my person. So, I felt like I didn't have a knife since I've pocket carried a knife pretty much every day for about 30 years. Thus facepalm, since I had a knife most of the day, just not in a pocket.

MR facility as in somewhere they have MRI equipment (as in https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging ), so no metals close to the machines.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:25 PM
That;s is why i'm not into nudism, because should I be naked there is no descent way to store a knife.  :gimme:
There's an invisible one... :D

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:44 PM
The SwissChamp was in my bag, not a pocket on my person. So, I felt like I didn't have a knife since I've pocket carried a knife pretty much every day for about 30 years. Thus facepalm, since I had a knife most of the day, just not in a pocket.

MR facility as in somewhere they have MRI equipment (as in https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging ), so no metals close to the machines.
Ah that makes sense. And I am happy to hear that you were in a place with a legitimate reason not to allow knives. (As opposed to a courhouse or airport not allowing you in with a Classic SD on your keys, as if you are going to hold up an airplane with a one inch slipjoint.  ::))

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 10:37:44 PM
Even throughout my Vic Exec minimalist challenge, I continue to carry a SC in its Leatherman sheath for backup, as well as a K55 Mercator.

But wait, there's more...

If I don't have my Maverick D2 Pry bar on me as well, I feel kinda naked. This has become a staple in my EDC.
SAW

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 10:58:52 PM

What kind of saw?

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:50 PM
So... having only a SwissChamp... I kind of feel naked because there is no knife on my person.  :facepalm:
Is this a joke? A Swiss Champ, a fire steel, and a small flashlight is all you need to survive most of the jams you could find yourself in, in my opinion.

I work in a state penitentiary. I'm not even allow to take a Swiss Champ or any other blade of any kind in the facility...even in a bag!  I'm also not permitted to bring in any kind of means to start fire...even in a bag!
I'm allowed a small flashlight for medical use (checking pupils).
Shoot! Tell *me* about feeling naked. LOL!

"The more you know, the less you carry. The less you know, the more you carry." - Mors Kochanski
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:05:43 PM by Tired_Yeti »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 11:35:18 PM
So... having only a SwissChamp... I kind of feel naked because there is no knife on my person.  :facepalm:
Is this a joke? A Swiss Champ, a fire steel, and a small flashlight is all you need to survive most of the jams you could find yourself in, in my opinion.

I work in a state penitentiary. I'm not even allow to take a Swiss Champ or any other blade of any kind in the facility...even in a bag!  I'm also not permitted to bring in any kind of means to start fire...even in a bag!

"The more you know, the less you carry. The less you know, the more you carry." - Mors Kochanski
He felt naked because the swisschamp was in his bag, not his pocket, hence the facepalm, and he couldn't have the bag nearby when working around MRI machines.   ;)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 12:07:52 AM
I always keep an extra SAK or two in the jeep, I can't stand the feeling of not having a SAK on my person... I deal with enough regret not carrying more, or having a certain tool in my carry...  I tread that weird line of minimal pluralism...  Always 2 sometimes 3 :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
I always keep an extra SAK or two in the jeep, I can't stand the feeling of not having a SAK on my person... I deal with enough regret not carrying more, or having a certain tool in my carry...  I tread that weird line of minimal pluralism...  Always 2 sometimes 3 :salute:

I keep a Spirit in my tool bag that goes in whatever I'm driving too, and when carrying alox, usually a SwissChamp as well. I have had to retrieve the corkscrew a couple of times when I was doing the minimal thing.  :D But carrying the Climbers lately I have a pretty good selection on me. :)

Recently with air travel I was carrying a Jetsetter, just to keep that empty pocket feeling from happening. It's like a part of my person is missing not to have at least something SAKish there.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 03:39:19 AM

He felt naked because the swisschamp was in his bag, not his pocket, hence the facepalm, and he couldn't have the bag nearby when working around MRI machines.   
OK. I get it.
Believe me that I know about feeling "naked" and vulnerable. I have to keep all my EDC tools outside in the car. If the SHTF when I'm at work, I'm pretty much doomed.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:45:34 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 04:12:32 AM

[/quote]
Ah that makes sense. And I am happy to hear that you were in a place with a legitimate reason not to allow knives. (As opposed to a courhouse or airport not allowing you in with a Classic SD on your keys, as if you are going to hold up an airplane with a one inch slipjoint.  ::))
[/quote]

Um...Goat...I don't know how old you are, however, you may recall: that has kind of already been done, and to quite horrific result...

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 04:23:17 AM
Um...Goat...I don't know how old you are, however, you may recall: that has kind of already been done, and to quite horrific result...
I am old enough to remember 9/11/01.

They took over airplanes with box cutters, yes. This was during a time when every previous airliner hijacking meant a trip to a 3rd world country and being ransomed back home, so no one fought back. And adding locks to the cockpit doors solved the problem anyway. How on earth are you going to hijack an airliner with only a knife now? The TSA hasn't done anything to help us, they have only made life worse.

And sure, the case could be made for not allowing large knives on planes. But a 58mm Classic? The TSA was actually really close to allowing small knives on planes again a few years back but it never happened. The only reason we are not allowed to bring small knives on planes today is bureaucratic BS. It has nothing to do with actual safety.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:24:59 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 04:56:06 AM
I am old enough to remember 9/11/01.

They took over airplanes with box cutters, yes. This was during a time when every previous airliner hijacking meant a trip to a 3rd world country and being ransomed back home, so no one fought back. And adding locks to the cockpit doors solved the problem anyway. How on earth are you going to hijack an airliner with only a knife now? The TSA hasn't done anything to help us, they have only made life worse.

And sure, the case could be made for not allowing large knives on planes. But a 58mm Classic? The TSA was actually really close to allowing small knives on planes again a few years back but it never happened. The only reason we are not allowed to bring small knives on planes today is bureaucratic BS. It has nothing to do with actual safety.

Not knocking' on ya, Goat. I am also not a fan of the TSA nor some of their methods. That is correct that previous to that, public knowledge led us to think that hijackings brought the passengers to 3rd world countries as pawns. However, the FBI was brought in on an attempted hijacking in the early 70's where it was found that the (shot dead) hijacker' s intent had been to crash the plane into the Whitehouse or the Capital. That's only one such incident. So, when the news and authorities tell you post-9/11 that they could never have seen 9/11 coming, that's revisionist propaganda being thrown at you.

As to the "locked" doors between the cockpit and the passenger compartment having "solved" the problem...that is a joke. The 9/11 hijackers drew the pilot/ captain out of the cockpit when human nature caused the captain to unlock the cockpit doors in order to "save" the stewardess and passengers who were being killed by Atta and his henchmen. They were using box cutters, yes, but could easily have done the same with Swiss Army Classics. The lock is useless when purposely unlocked from within the safe zone. Still nothing exists in this country (USA) to physically prevent that.

So, as much as I hate to admit it, that one is a "for safety" reason. At least unless and until the FAA makes a solid bulkhead between the cockpit and passengers, with the front-most exterior boarding door being the only way to enter the cockpit, which is what I would like to see. Then the cockpit couldn't be breached from  passenger compartment, no matter how bad the pilot feels for the stewardess or passengers. Then maybe we could all carry SAKS and Leathermans  on the plane and it wouldn't matter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:59:24 AM by ThundahBeagle »

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 09:48:27 AM
I tell her I don't have any knife on me and she gives me this puzzled look and is almost mad at me. It was a weird feeling :poh:
This is actually really funny to me. I get this a lot form my girlfriend. She's always mockeing me for carrying a knife, but when she needs one and I don't have it on me... boy am I in  for a preach.

That;s is why i'm not into nudism, because should I be naked there is no descent way to store a knife.

I'm going to a wellness center for the first time in my life next weekend. I don't know how I'm going to cope without my SAK! (while everybody can see my]/i] sack!  :facepalm:
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 10:17:40 AM
When I forget my knife at home I feel like a 2-year old whose blankie is in the washer.  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 12:47:09 PM
When I forget my knife at home I feel like a 2-year old whose blankie is in the washer.  :ahhh
That describes a lot of us.  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 03:19:12 PM
"That feeling when you don't have a knife on your person"

So, for the past couple days, I've been trying to imagine what that would feel like...

...nope....I got nothin'...

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 03:58:08 PM

What kind of saw?

Various. 91, 93 and 111 mm SAK saws and an Opinel #12.
DSC08026-bushcrafter-and-woodsman.jpg
* DSC08026-bushcrafter-and-woodsman.jpg (Filesize: 267.56 KB)
DSC08273-today-33.jpg
* DSC08273-today-33.jpg (Filesize: 450.93 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 04:19:54 PM

What kind of saw?

Various. 91, 93 and 111 mm SAK saws and an Opinel #12.
How do you think would win, Opinel saw or Victorinox saw? Assuming both are the same size roughly.  :think:
I ask because that Opinel #12 looks pretty impressive.  :drool:

All hail the hook!

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 04:51:58 PM
Don't expect to know the feeling. If I'm out, a Minichamp is on my key ring. If I'm home, I've got them all over the house.

:climber:

Jim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24