Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

That feeling when you don't have a knife on your person

Steinar · 107 · 5119

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: That feeling when you don't have a knife on your person
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 05:03:55 PM
I always carry a knife and a saw. And backups. And more backups ...

What kind of saw?

Various. 91, 93 and 111 mm SAK saws and an Opinel #12.
How do you think would win, Opinel saw or Victorinox saw? Assuming both are the same size roughly.  :think:
I ask because that Opinel #12 looks pretty impressive.  :drool:

The Opinel saw is impressive (and it´s a bladeless tool  8)). I would use a Swiss Army Saw if it was available in this size, but it isn´t. 

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 04:20:18 AM
You mean that scary, icky, gross feeling, like you just woke up alone, naked, cold and you have no idea where you are? That squishing, sticky, hideous sensation that is half way between wading in drying blood and rotting sausage meat?

The only time I don't have a knife is when have to go to the court house or certain state offices. If my glasses are on, I have some kind blade on me. If they aren't, I'm asleep (glasses and a hat full of knives and wallet and phone are at the bed side) or in the shower (in which case, I step out of the shower and its in arms reach).

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 09:03:10 AM
You mean that scary, icky, gross feeling, like you just woke up alone, naked, cold and you have no idea where you are? That squishing, sticky, hideous sensation that is half way between wading in drying blood and rotting sausage meat?

:D Yeah, that one!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:53 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Tired_Yeti

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 05:05:59 AM
I have a bit of a tiered system too.  I have a Manager on my house key ring.  I have my Tinker and Squirt in the sheath I made.  If I forget the sheath I will always have my Manager since I need my house key to lock to door.  I have had to leave my SAK in my vehicle when going places that do not allow knives.  At the very least I know my Manager will be with me. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 07:10:34 PM
For me personally it's a drag...  :-\ but it's not the end of the world by any means, it just means i'll need to improvise more...  :D
Believe me, that is one of the things i've actually learned from Macgyver, a Sak is useful to improvise and help you to get out of a jam, no Sak on you just means you need to find another way and improvise other "tools" in order to do what you need, and believe me... i've been there...  :facepalm:

Anyway, i always have a classic on my keys, and i always have my keys on me, so i wouldn't be "completely" naked  :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline cody6268

Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:16 AM
I have forgotten my wallet and cellphone more than my knife.   When my folks have got to go to a bladeless environment, I try to avoid going there--that includes the courthouse, police/sheriff's department, and federal gov. buildings.  I have increased my collection of OPTs and older MTs (pre-SAK & LM) that don't have a blade, which should get through security no problem.  I'm glad to attend two colleges who really don't care what I've got. One has no blade laws, the other says it's fine provided my blade is sub 4".  The only folders I have that are that large rarely get carried unless I'm in the woods, most of my knives have sub 3" blades.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:42:30 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 02:53:46 AM
I've spent the majority of my journey here in this life cell phone free, so there's a much greater chance I'll leave my phone before I'll forget my knife  :D
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 07:09:43 PM
I never leave home without some knives in my pockets, and at night I use old jeans for pajamas, so I have a Swiss Champ in the left front pocket, and a Mini Champ and  Leatherman Super Tool  on my belt. The Super Tool is mounted horizontally on the front left side so it does not get in the way for lying on my back.

The only time I don't have a knife on me is in the shower or if I go into some place like the Court House or a school. Then I leave the knives locked in my car. 

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:18 PM
I've spent the majority of my journey here in this life cell phone free, so there's a much greater chance I'll leave my phone before I'll forget my knife  :D
Besides, MacGyver could have made a cellphone with a SAK and whatever he found lying around.

We all have confidence in your skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 09:03:28 PM
Um...Goat...I don't know how old you are, however, you may recall: that has kind of already been done, and to quite horrific result...
I am old enough to remember 9/11/01.

They took over airplanes with box cutters, yes. This was during a time when every previous airliner hijacking meant a trip to a 3rd world country and being ransomed back home, so no one fought back. And adding locks to the cockpit doors solved the problem anyway. How on earth are you going to hijack an airliner with only a knife now? The TSA hasn't done anything to help us, they have only made life worse.

And sure, the case could be made for not allowing large knives on planes. But a 58mm Classic? The TSA was actually really close to allowing small knives on planes again a few years back but it never happened. The only reason we are not allowed to bring small knives on planes today is bureaucratic BS. It has nothing to do with actual safety.

The only time I have ever been on a commercial flight was in 1995 and flew straight through from Indianapolis to Los Angeles.

Back then they allowed me to carry a Swiss Champ and a Leatherman Super Tool in my pockets.

Now I have no interest in boarding a plane since they won't let you carry even a small pocket knife.

I have carried a pocket knife of some kind every day since I was 8 years old.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 11:27:25 PM
I never leave home without some knives in my pockets, and at night I use old jeans for pajamas, so I have a Swiss Champ in the left front pocket, and a Mini Champ and  Leatherman Super Tool  on my belt. The Super Tool is mounted horizontally on the front left side so it does not get in the way for lying on my back.

You carry three multitool when you go sleeping? Haha, you are the best prepared dreamer I know!  ;)

I don't sleep with my SAK. I always put it on my night-stand. I do take it in the shower on occasion though, it's easy to wash a SAK with a showerhead  :D
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 01:02:58 AM
No knife!

Naked, frightened, and alone, very ALONE!

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 02:23:49 AM
 :ahhh I live just outside NYC and do office work, but when someones says Hey Tone can you cut this because.... and I I feel my pocket - no knife- even legal SAK, Im bummed.  Former sailor and follower of S/A Jethro Gibbs, I should always have a knife!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:44 AM
Besides, MacGyver could have made a cellphone with a SAK and whatever he found lying around.

We all have confidence in your skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahah  :rofl:  Well i don't know about a cellphone, but he did used the large blade and a metal bracelet to tap on a phone line up a telephone pole once, to send a morse code message  :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 11:44:43 AM
...and follower of S/A Jethro Gibbs, I should always have a knife!
Yep, remember rule number 9!
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 19, 2017, 12:35:06 PM

You carry three multitool when you go sleeping? Haha, you are the best prepared dreamer I know!  ;)

I don't sleep with my SAK. I always put it on my night-stand. I do take it in the shower on occasion though, it's easy to wash a SAK with a showerhead  :D
   :like:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:03 AM
Wash my SAK, is that what they call ot nowadays?
 :whistle:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 02:18:10 AM

Well... That's descriptive.  :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 03:11:39 AM

Well... That's descriptive.  :tu:
Uh... not exactly That bad! 
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #51 on: January 05, 2018, 04:15:17 AM
I am too old to be called for jury duty anymore, so now if I cant carry a knife I aint goin. Heckydern, I even carried my knives to the hospital when they fuzed my spine from my skull to the middle of my sholder blades, last August. I never leave my knives behind.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 01:41:03 PM
I never leave my knives behind.
  :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 04:16:16 PM
I never leave my knives behind.
  :like: :tu: :tu:
I agree Vic and Butch,  problem is anticipating those metal detectors,  fortunately I have no need to go to the big city for work anymore.
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:44 PM
The nurse who checked me in at a recent doctor's appointment told me it's fun to see all the stuff men dump out of their pockets when they get weighed, as I was putting my CenterDrive on a counter next to the scale.

She said "you fellas should start carrying a purse for all that stuff!"

I didn't bother telling her I had a backpack full of gear in the car  :whistle:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 05:58:53 PM
I've left the house without my phone or my wallet more often than I've found myself without a knife.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:36 PM
I hate it. I was supposed to be on an airplane today, meaning no tools at all, and it does just feel wrong. Airports in general make me feel pretty uneasy, I'm not sure why. Planes don't bother me, airports do.

But there's no worse feeling than reaching for a knife or tool to take care of something and not having it there. I drifted away from carrying heavily for a while, even then I carried at least a folder or Skeletool.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
That feeling when you don't have a knife on your person
Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 06:53:56 PM
Now check this: I’ve took out of my backpack all my edc stuff pictured FYI below and left it on the chair in my cabinet at work and almost forgot to pick it back up when I was about to leave half an hour ago. As David Gahan sings, “I feel you”
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:54:58 PM by alexanderre »
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline TonySal

Reply #58 on: January 05, 2018, 07:16:27 PM
I've left the house without my phone or my wallet more often than I've found myself without a knife.
Semper Fi General, I agree!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 03:24:25 AM
A pocket knife is my one compulsion, got my first jack knife when I was ten, my first SAK mid twenties, and it has to be on me

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%