Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Balkans Trip

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Balkans Trip
Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 03:56:08 PM
I thought that Slav meant someone who was good at chess or basketball, or both!  :D

Firiki, don't scratch old wounds.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:58:10 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 04:05:27 PM

We call Germans mutes (as in those who can not speak / are mute (nemci)) and it is possible we basically call ourselves speakers, as on one of the possible etymologies of slav- is to speak.  :D

I've read that before and thought it might be somewhat relevant to the Greek (and Egyptian) way of conceiving people who speak a different language as barbarians (bar-bar designating incomprehensible, inarticulate speech).

I also wonder what the relation between nemci and inimicus might be  :think:   :ahhh
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 04:24:06 PM

We call Germans mutes (as in those who can not speak / are mute (nemci)) and it is possible we basically call ourselves speakers, as on one of the possible etymologies of slav- is to speak.  :D

I've read that before and thought it might be somewhat relevant to the Greek (and Egyptian) way of conceiving people who speak a different language as barbarians (bar-bar designating incomprehensible, inarticulate speech).

I also wonder what the relation between nemci and inimicus might be  :think:   :ahhh

I would say those two are false friends, they sound similar but don't have anything in common.

There is a similar coincidence involving the English F word and Slovenian F word. Strikingly similar meaning, almost the same spelling, so much so most Slovenians think that we got it from English. But in fact it stems form a word meaning to blow. The word completely lost its original meaning, but now means to have sex, to beat someone up or as an adjective to be stupid.  :D

Also, I completely get why our forfathers called Germans mute. I find German language fiendishly difficult to learn. Despite numerous attempts at it the damn thing won't stay in my brains. On the other hand I had much better luck with English. I can make myself understood well enough in one and can't even order a beer in the other in 2 out of 3 attempts.  :cheers: But I will get it some day, you'll see...  :twak:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 04:30:57 PM
Firiki, don't scratch old wounds.

What'd I do? Basil II Boulgaroktonos was an emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire -a Byzantine- (and a Macedonian, too...  ::)   :D), not a modern-day Greek official?!

Corrupt politicians and rapacious homunculi are the real old wounds, I'd say!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:56 PM

I would say those two are false friends, they sound similar but don't have anything in common.

There is a similar coincidence involving the English F word and Slovenian F word. Strikingly similar meaning, almost the same spelling, so much so most Slovenians think that we got it from English. But in fact it stems form a word meaning to blow. The word completely lost its original meaning, but now means to have sex, to beat someone up or as an adjective to be stupid.  :D

Also, I completely get why our forfathers called Germans mute. I find German language fiendishly difficult to learn. Despite numerous attempts at it the damn thing won't stay in my brains. On the other hand I had much better luck with English. I can make myself understood well enough in one and can't even order a beer in the other in 2 out of 3 attempts.  :cheers: But I will get it some day, you'll see...  :twak:

My experience with Slavic languages is limited to sparse words/phrases. You're probably right; though the origins of some words are completely unexpected.

As for German, I don't speak it as I've always found it an unattractive language, however friends who speak German and have a good knowledge of ancient Greek tell me that German grammar is very similar to ancient Greek! Now, I do like the spirit of ancient Greek but thankfully the language has evolved since then. :D

So instead of "ein bier, bitte" repeat after me: "mIa bIra, parakalO" :cheers:

I think I'd try Norwegian as an entry to Germanic languages :think:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 05:17:05 PM
Well for me learning German would make economic sense as Slovenia is heavily dependant on its exports to Germany. And many companies that employ electrical engineers do a lot f business with Germans...  :ahhh

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 06:00:28 PM
You are discussing which Germanic language to learn first... in English? Which is a Germanic language. ;)

(It's the weirdo in the group, but still...)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 06:23:48 PM
I'd need an audiobook in wich one each sentance would be repeated twice, once in English and then in German. Something like the hitchikers guide to the galaxy...  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 06:27:18 PM
You are discussing which Germanic language to learn first... in English? Which is a Germanic language. ;)

just like me still looking for good sources on Norwegian.

As far as dealing with people, this area had a lot of Ottoman influence and one of our Greek historians could know better, but weren't a lot of Janissaries from these parts? So we already have a culturally relevant and fairly nasty way of taking things a step too far

I'd need an audiobook in wich one each sentance would be repeated twice, once in English and then in German. Something like the hitchikers guide to the galaxy...  :think:

Paul Noble has audio courses like that. One more guy but his name escapes me for now and he uses students in recordings which I find distracting as I'm already making mistakes and don't need to repeat someone else's. Plus he is a tad too snappy for my liking (the other guy, not Paul Noble)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 06:58:39 PM

just like me still looking for good sources on Norwegian.

Have you tried duolingo? I see they have courses for Norwegian. https://www.duolingo.com/course/no-BO/en/Learn-Norwegian-(Bokm%C3%A5l)-Online

These two have been developed at my alma mater:

And at last, a list of resources to learn Norwegian... in Norwegian  :rofl: https://www.kompetansenorge.no/Norsk-og-samfunnskunnskap/Nettbasert-opplaring/nettressurser-for-a-lare-norsk/

Edit: And, here's a really nice resource when you have got the core vocabulary, a very good and updated dictionary, also available as an app: http://ordbok.uib.no/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:01:49 PM by Steinar »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 07:05:14 PM
I would prefer audiobooks. I've been listening to those since I was 18 and by now I accumulated well over a year of listening (yes, that means it would take me mor than a year if I were to listen 24/7). So it would be a natural progression for me to use the same medium to transition to at least understanding german.  :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:11:07 PM by lister »

hr Offline styx

Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 07:13:33 PM
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17678487-learn-german-with-paul-noble

you could also find the same thing on other free sites but i can't put potentially not overly legal links here

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 07:13:57 PM
Some more ramblings: The best way for me personally to learn a language is finding something I'm interested in, and just jump in. I learned English from computer manuals, and I'm trying to expand my German vocabulary reading German newspapers.

Not a lot of stuff which Norwegian is the premium language for, but if anybody wants to understand Ibsen and death metal I guess there's no alternative. :D Just ask if you want links to newspapers, media, whatever. There's a Scandinavian sibling to Project Gutenberg which is good if you want to read classics (Ibsen, Strindberg, stuff like that). http://runeberg.org/katalog.html

I would prefer audiobooks. I've been listening to those since I was 18 and by now I accumulated well over a year of listening (yes, that means it would take me mor than a year if I were to listen 24/7). So it would be a natural progression for me to use the same medium to transition to also at least understanding german.  :D

Have you tried http://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/audiotrainer/s-9677 ?

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 11:39:13 PM
Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna
Lake Bled, Slovenia
Plitvice National Park, Croatia ( a rare moment when an Asian tour group isn't shoving by)
Mostar, Bosnia

IMG_8960.jpg
* IMG_8960.jpg (Filesize: 145.02 KB)
IMG_9016.jpg
* IMG_9016.jpg (Filesize: 105.57 KB)
IMG_9096.jpg
* IMG_9096.jpg (Filesize: 393.15 KB)
IMG_9165.jpg
* IMG_9165.jpg (Filesize: 104.75 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 11:43:56 PM
Sarajevo, Bosnia
Neretva River, Bosnia
Dubrovnic at Dusk
A Croatian 'beach'

IMG_9172.jpg
* IMG_9172.jpg (Filesize: 144.3 KB)
IMG_9190.jpg
* IMG_9190.jpg (Filesize: 133.16 KB)
IMG_9275.jpg
* IMG_9275.jpg (Filesize: 114.06 KB)
IMG_9258.jpg
* IMG_9258.jpg (Filesize: 369.67 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:20 AM
Nice pics!  :like:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 05:16:04 AM
Sarajevo, Bosnia
Neretva River, Bosnia
Dubrovnic at Dusk
A Croatian 'beach'

:like:    :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

hr Offline styx

Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 08:44:37 AM
Wait you survived Dubrovnik and thought Plitvice was overcrowded?

Oh and Croatia has 2 kinds of beaches for the most part - gravel and rocky. Doesn't even matter if they are "official" beaches or wild ones. And funny enough most people don't like sand beaches here.
Personally, I prefer the rock beaches. Less crowded, better shade, kids actually learn how to swim and they are generally a lot cleaner. Sure some people despise them because they aren't great for 90% nude selfies, but that is another excellent point - less chance you'll want to kill some random dbag.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 06:31:59 PM
Wait you survived Dubrovnik and thought Plitvice was overcrowded?

Oh and Croatia has 2 kinds of beaches for the most part - gravel and rocky. Doesn't even matter if they are "official" beaches or wild ones. And funny enough most people don't like sand beaches here.
Personally, I prefer the rock beaches. Less crowded, better shade, kids actually learn how to swim and they are generally a lot cleaner. Sure some people despise them because they aren't great for 90% nude selfies, but that is another excellent point - less chance you'll want to kill some random dbag.

Lucked out on Dubrovnik. Only one cruise ship in port. The day before there were four ships. Next day I rode the cable car up to the overlook, then took a boat ride along the coast back to the hotel in Cavtat.

Will admit the waters were very clear.

hr Offline styx

Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 08:51:30 PM
only one cruiser? you really did luck out

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:56 PM
Perhaps I'll come to Croatia next summer. With my daughter and wife. It's my daughter's idea.
I have only been to Constantinople, Skopje and Sarajevo, regarding the Balkans outside my country. I would like to see Beograd, Sophia and Ljubljiana. Montenegro also. But we are going to some Croatian resort in the Adriatic perhaps.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #51 on: October 05, 2017, 10:21:40 PM
Perhaps I'll come to Croatia next summer. With my daughter and wife. It's my daughter's idea.
I have only been to Constantinople, Skopje and Sarajevo, regarding the Balkans outside my country. I would like to see Beograd, Sophia and Ljubljiana. Montenegro also. But we are going to some Croatian resort in the Adriatic perhaps.

Stayed at a very nice resort hotel at Cavtat, about 10 miles south of Dubrovnik. Attractive little port, much quieter than Dubrovnik.

hr Offline styx

Reply #52 on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:00 PM
Just a word of warning - Dubrovnik is extremely expensive. It is beautiful, historic and really something worth seeing, but it is often overcrowded and the prices are ungodly.

My personal suggestions would be Trogir, Šibenik, Opatija, Jelsa (on the island Hvar which also has Stari grad), the islands Susak, Mljet and Zlarin.
If you get a chance the continental parts have their charm too.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 10:02:30 AM

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 10:41:42 PM
Great pics mate  :drool:.

Thanks for sharing them here  :salute:.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 10:53:58 PM
I have seen pics of that lake with the boardwalk through the reeds before... a friend went there recently.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 10:56:48 PM
Just a word of warning - Dubrovnik is extremely expensive. It is beautiful, historic and really something worth seeing, but it is often overcrowded and the prices are ungodly.
So you would be Balkan at paying those prices?

hr Offline styx

Reply #57 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:54 PM
So you would be Balkan at paying those prices?

not sure i get the pun

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #58 on: October 09, 2017, 11:58:10 PM
Neither do I.  ???

It rimes with Vulcan, but I’m not sure if that’s relevant.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:58 AM
Balking: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/balking

Sorry, I knew that was a risk of non-English-as-first-language speakers not knowing it.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:04:02 AM by Syncop8r »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD