Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question for the G-Shock lovers out there.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Question for the G-Shock lovers out there.
on: October 03, 2017, 01:53:18 PM
Found this watch in my parts bin while selecting what should go and what can stay.
I have NO experience with G-Shocks and a quick search online led me nowhere.
Anyone an idea what model this is?
Age?
Is it worth anything?
Thanks in advance!

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: Question for the G-Shock lovers out there.
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:13:39 PM
G'Day,

That is an interesting watch. The closest model I could find that looks similar is a DW002, but I only have the 20th Anniversary book that I can use as reference. Usually the back will have a "G" and not the "S" as in the pictured one. There were some models with similar straps and adaptors. The shiny button is another out of the ordinary piece. I could not find a single colour version that has a silver light button. The inside of the face are similar to the old Foxfire editions though, but difficult to see on the picture.

If you can get the back bit off there should be a model number and a module number (usually in a box) on the back. The module number will refer to the functions it will have.

Cheers,

Pete

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:16:49 PM

G'Day,

That is an interesting watch. The closest model I could find that looks similar is a DW002, but I only have the 20th Anniversary book that I can use as reference. Usually the back will have a "G" and not the "S" as in the pictured one. There were some models with similar straps and adaptors. The shiny button is another out of the ordinary piece. I could not find a single colour version that has a silver light button. The inside of the face are similar to the old Foxfire editions though, but difficult to see on the picture.

If you can get the back bit off there should be a model number and a module number (usually in a box) on the back. The module number will refer to the functions it will have.

Cheers,

Pete

Hey Pete, thanks for your reply.
I removed the back again, and sadly there is NO model number on the backplate.

it appears as if there has been writing on the blue back (with the S) but this seems to have been grinded away (possibly because it annoyed the wearer's wrist?)
Any clues on how old this one would be? Value in case it's in working condition?
Cheers.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 01:20:30 PM
Or it's an old fake...
There's writing on the front which reads "mul tif unction" :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 01:25:06 PM

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 01:29:43 PM
Ah nevermind, they mean an s engraved in the metal backplate.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:48:42 AM
Thanks for the pic of the back plate.

The "Shock Resistant" is as per the older Casio watches. Good call on the Sample, I missed that, but then the "S" on the metal back is missing. It MAY explain the "S" on the plastic back bit.

To be honest, it is difficult to tell. Can you post a pic of the face in focus? Or possibly with the new battery in? I think it may be a fake, but without looking at the face and the font on the digits it is anyone's guess.

Cheers,

Pete

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 11:49:28 AM

Thanks for the pic of the back plate.

The "Shock Resistant" is as per the older Casio watches. Good call on the Sample, I missed that, but then the "S" on the metal back is missing. It MAY explain the "S" on the plastic back bit.

To be honest, it is difficult to tell. Can you post a pic of the face in focus? Or possibly with the new battery in? I think it may be a fake, but without looking at the face and the font on the digits it is anyone's guess.

Cheers,

Pete

How's this?
Sadly I haven't got the right battery yet.
It'll need a cr2016 which is out of my stock atm.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:51:59 PM
That is perfect, thank you.

The triangles under the days are slanted in a different angle to what a DW-6695D looks like, that I am using as a reference. They do not reference the day in that example either. Most of the DW-66xx I have looked at has the day onto op the module display. Also, the strap adaptors I can see in the book does not have the word Protection on it. And then the spelling error...

I'm afraid it may not be a genuine Casio

Pete

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:54:58 PM
That is perfect, thank you.

The triangles under the days are slanted in a different angle to what a DW-6695D looks like, that I am using as a reference. They do not reference the day in that example either. Most of the DW-66xx I have looked at has the day onto op the module display. Also, the strap adaptors I can see in the book does not have the word Protection on it. And then the spelling error...

I'm afraid it may not be a genuine Casio

Pete
That's what I was starting to suspect too.
Seems like a really old, not to shabby made, fake.

Thanks! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD