Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Part of my collection

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Part of my collection
Reply #60 on: October 19, 2017, 03:16:25 AM
Thanks detron!

So here are the final two shots. After the contest deadline was past I reviewed the earlier shots and made some tweaks to the layout and the lighting. One of my friends pointed out that the digital clocks were out of sync so I fixed that too (if you're going to be OCD, be OCD). I decided to skip the box idea, and the "big knife in all four corners" idea ended up looking too much like a QR code for my taste so that got dumped too. I did end up with one shot with the center logo and one without. The full res image (6000x4000) is big enough to have a poster printed from it, so I'm going to order one this week and see how it turns out. Click the thumbnails below to see larger images.

With logo (472 knives):

And without (477 knives):

eye candy
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #61 on: October 19, 2017, 03:22:43 AM
Thanks for all the info about taking the shot, I enjoyed reading about it  :tu:

And I had a quiet chuckle to myself when I read "(if you're going to be OCD, be OCD)".  I think there are a few people on MTo who can (or should) identify with that statement (including me)   :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: October 19, 2017, 06:55:50 AM
Thanks for all the info about taking the shot, I enjoyed reading about it  :tu:

And I had a quiet chuckle to myself when I read "(if you're going to be OCD, be OCD)".  I think there are a few people on MTo who can (or should) identify with that statement (including me)   :D

I also enjoyed you sharing how these terrific pictures were taken. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline supershaji

Reply #63 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:31 AM
This is truly fantastic! What an amazingly diverse collection. How long have you been collecting? Any inherited as well?

I can imagine how satisfying the end result must have been - the collection of this scale deserves a tribute in deed.

Kudos.

Posting a picture I took last month of a part of my young collection, a moment of pride (until now)

Hope it doesn't give you a complex  

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: October 19, 2017, 12:45:26 PM
A couple people were asking how I got the shot. Here's probably more info than you want to know.

When I started this project, I didn’t really understand how much of a pain it would be. I am an amateur photographer to say the least – I really know embarrassingly little about photography. Fortunately, my sister is a professional photographer and she helped figure a lot of things out.

Starting off, my goal was to get as many knives in the shot as possible. The goal was 300+ (final number was 472, so better than I hoped for). To maximize the number of knives in the shot, I figured I’d lay them out in an area the same dimensions as the image sensor in the camera. I took this shot with a Nikon D610 full frame DSLR which has a 36x24mm sensor. Since 6x4 was my target ratio, the easiest thing to do was grab a full sheet of plywood (4 ft x 8 ft), use the full width and 6 of 8 ft of length, and use that as the base:

(Image removed from quote.)

I covered the plywood in white Kraft paper (that conveniently comes in 4 ft wide rolls). I knew lining up the knives without any guide would be a challenge, so I measured off and marked 1” increments along the side of the plywood and stuck thumbtacks in each line – 244 thumbtacks total.

Then I took some white polyester thread and strung it between all the tacks making a grid:

Then I tackled the layout. Started with the logo in the center and just build out from around that. I had a few goals in mind:

1.   Create an interesting pattern that didn’t have too much repetition in knife direction and style
2.   Show a lot of the different tools
3.   Represent all the different scale types and have a decent variation in color
4.   Include very important and historic models
5.   Show the basic evolution of the officer’s knife from 1890 – present. This is the purpose of the row of at the top.

This took longer than I thought it was going to. Like A LOT longer. Like an amount of time I’m embarrassed to quantify so I just say “a lot”.

With the layout mostly finished, I moved the plywood to the floor on top of a couple furniture dollies. This allowed me to roll the entire layout around to adjust it in frame, set up lights, fix the camera, etc.

Now time for the first test shots. At first I tried to use the 50mm prime lens I usually keep on my Nikon for general photography. To completely frame a 6 ft x 4 ft area with a 50mm lens I need about 10 ft of distance between the camera and subject. Lucky for me the ceiling in my garage is 10.5 ft high, and there is a hole in it to allow access to the attic space above. So, I mounted the camera in the attic access hole (red arrow in the pictures above and below).

I took some test shots. That’s when I ran into my first problem – distortion:

The focal length on the 50mm lens is too short to shoot something this big without distorting it. You can see here how the edges of the shot aren’t even remotely square and are being bent in via barrel distortion. It most obvious on the long edges and in the corners:

I called my sister and she said a longer focal length lens would help lessen the distortion. After debating several options, I decided to try an 85mm prime lens. For the same size subject this would allow me to move the camera back further, get the same area in frame but with a lot less distortion. I could have used a zoom lens (e.g. 70-200) but I was really concerned with preserving as much fine detail in the full res shot as possible. To get that sort of sharpness with a zoom lens would mean buying/renting a $2000+ professional quality lens. Not really in the budget. A pro quality prime lens, however, can be had for a little less than a consumer quality zoom, so that’s the route I went. With the 85mm lens I needed 14 ft of distance between camera and subject, so I set up my tripod in the attic:

One of the most important factors to getting this shot to work is shown here: the remote tethering setup. I can power the camera from A/C power instead of a battery (blue arrow) and connect the camera to my PC via USB (red arrow). So the camera can stay on for hours while I set up the shot, and I can control the camera completely from software called CameraRC on my laptop:

Live preview, shutter speed, aperture settings, ISO, focus point, and shutter release can all be remotely controlled from the software. I can take a shot, download from the camera that's 14 ft up in the attic, open the shot in Photoshop and check my settings and alignment. Straighten some knives out, tweak a few things in the layout (rearrange things that look odd, tighten up some spacing, etc), adjust the lighting, and do it again. Lather, rinse, repeat until I’m satisfied with the shot.

Speaking of lights, this was the other fun part of the shoot – lighting over 450 shiny metal and plastic objects and taking a photo of them without pro levels of lighting gear is a challenge. A friend of mine has a photography business and suggested I get a lot of LED work lights and point them all up, bouncing the light off the ceiling and wall to light the shot indirectly. So that’s what I did:

And that worked great. There could have been more light, but with the camera on a tripod it wasn’t a huge deal – just slow the shutter speed down. I was able to get the shot fairly evenly lit with not a lot of heavy shadows on the knives. It left the background paper a bit greyish, which turns out I liked – it made the tools and the lighter knives stand out more. At the end it just needed a little color correction and clean up work in Photoshop - taking out dust specs, stray eyelashes, stuff like that. And done!

Really the key to all this was my garage layout. I just got extremely lucky here. The height of the ceiling was perfect. Setting up the camera in the attic and shooting through the access hole worked perfectly. The fact that I painted my garage bright white (mainly to reflect as much light as possible when working on cars) worked out perfectly when lighting the shot.

You did an amazing job and the pictures are very impressive.

Thanks for sharing the process involved .

:like: :tu: :tu: :salute:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #65 on: October 19, 2017, 03:41:36 PM
@Vicman  - Why oh why quote and duplicate the whole post   :twak:   You're filling up the threads for no reason 
That's two whole screen-fulls on my computer - and probably about 10 on a smart phone
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:56:01 PM by Huntsman »

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #66 on: October 19, 2017, 05:14:23 PM
@Vicman  - Why oh why quote and duplicate the whole post   :twak:   You're filling up the threads for no reason 
That's two whole screen-fulls on my computer - and probably about 10 on a smart phone

OTOH now I could reread your post without scrolling up.  :D

Seriously though, I also think most of the quoting is unneccesary.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #67 on: October 19, 2017, 05:17:00 PM

Seems like more of a system/layout problem than a Vicman problem.   
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #68 on: October 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM
This is truly fantastic! What an amazingly diverse collection. How long have you been collecting? Any inherited as well?

I can imagine how satisfying the end result must have been - the collection of this scale deserves a tribute in deed.

Kudos.

Posting a picture I took last month of a part of my young collection, a moment of pride (until now)

Hope it doesn't give you a complex

Not a bad start, super! Welcome to the forum!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 19, 2017, 10:56:15 PM
@ El CS - Not really
I was just thinking of hitting reply, rather than quote when he - errrrm .... replied.

It's usually clear what a reply is about - And certainly was in this case. - So no need to quote
Then you get a 2 line post rather than a 100+ line post

Or you do a partial quote like this:
Seems like more of a system/layout problem than a Vicman problem.   
Although I understand that is not possible, or difficult ,on some devices

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #70 on: October 19, 2017, 11:30:51 PM
 :cheers:  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 12:39:13 AM
Tremendous job :clap:

Thanks for giving us the technical insights Jazz  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: October 20, 2017, 01:39:25 AM

Sorry I offended you Huntsman.
I don't have a smart phone so I did not realize that it was such a problem.
The reason I quoted it was because I was referring to the post that explained how the pictures were taken ...not to the original post.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 20, 2017, 02:13:07 AM
Thanks for the positive response VM   :cheers:
Was I offended? - Not sure   ???   :D .....  I just thought it was a waste of space  :(  - As any readers would know to what you were referring ..... I think  :think:
And/or if not you could just say something like - "Thanks for the explanation on the photo process"  -  like 50', Detron, Greg, FuzzB etc did
- As opposed to a 100 line quote !! 
Anyway I had better shut up now  :twak: as this conversation I have started is also taking up lots of (unwanted) space in this thread  :pok:   
Sorry JB and team   (It's just one of my hot buttons  !)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #74 on: October 20, 2017, 02:42:35 AM
A couple people were asking how I got the shot. Here's probably more info than you want to know...

Thanks for the explanation - it helped me appreciate how much effort went into the shots.

@Huntsman: Like my abbreviated quote?  ;)

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: October 20, 2017, 06:57:53 AM
This pic should at least be in the 2018 calendar... The process in taking this pic alone carries “a lot” of merits... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed...sounds like this should be the October picture, no?   :like:

Great work JB and also a great explanation on your process setting up the shots. Thanks!   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #76 on: October 24, 2017, 04:33:16 PM
 :drool:

That is all I have.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: November 28, 2017, 09:43:23 PM
My wife had the logo version of the final image made into a puzzle. It is challenging to say the least!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:39 PM
My wife had the logo version of the final image made into a puzzle. It is challenging to say the least!

What an awesome idea!! :clap:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:03 PM
That is super duper cool.   :like:   :gimme:

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #81 on: November 28, 2017, 10:08:46 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #82 on: November 28, 2017, 10:10:28 PM
Brilliant - What Fun

Looks like you got the non-red SAKs done   :tu:

Now you gotta do the red ones !!!!!    :o     :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #83 on: November 30, 2017, 12:02:39 AM

Where can we buy one?  :pok:

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #84 on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:39 AM

Where can we buy one?  :pok:

Agreed!  :gimme: or rather sell me one!  :like:  :drool:  :like:
Well on second thought....I think the one with the box border would be the bees knees!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:16:23 AM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #85 on: February 03, 2018, 10:42:41 PM
Bump for awesomeness.
I had not seen this thread before. Great photos!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: February 03, 2018, 11:10:19 PM
I'm glad you did Reinier, I'd totally missed this thread before.  JB, what an amazing set of photographs and what a awesome guide as to how they were achieved.  :drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: February 03, 2018, 11:19:29 PM
Wow first of all what a collection  :drool:
Second I love the puzzle what a good idea  :like: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:35 PM
WOW!!  :drool: :drool: :drool:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: February 03, 2018, 11:44:11 PM
First time I saw it, too. Holy crap! What a collection, what a garage, what determination, what a puzzle, what a sister.
What was the result of that competition, by the way?
If Jazz has one thing against him, it's that his picture looks too professional. Whoever filters the lousy photos from the contenders may wrongly assume that this couldn't possibly be the work of some dude who collects penknives, and that he's trying to pass off some corporate advertising shot as his own.  In which case the picture could be disqualified - which would of course be a huge injustice.
Next time any of us buys a house with a garage, we'll look up and wonder if there's a neat little hole in the ceiling...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%