Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool arrangement for scissors and awl in PST

us Offline tommywp

Tool arrangement for scissors and awl in PST
on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:42 AM
Anyone know a tool arrangement that will work to get both the pst scissors and pst awl in to a pst? Is it as easy as swapping the awl in for one of the flat drivers?

:cheers:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: Tool arrangement for scissors and awl in PST
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:37:58 PM
That will depend on what tools you want to include.

From memory, most of the flat drivers are the same thickness. The small, not eyeglass, flat driver is thinner in the PST II, right next to the scissors. This is also the case on the Flair. I don't think that the scissors and the awl will fit inside the same handle unless you remove the big flat driver. If you are not using the can/bottle opener the awl should fit in its place.

Side 1:
PST Blade
Scissors
Thin Small Flat Driver
Big flat Driver / Awl

Side 2:
Awl / Can Bottle Opener
Philips Driver
Eyeglass Driver / Awl
Washer
File
Washer

Cheers,

Pete
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:41:52 PM by pietervn »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:46:48 PM
Thanks Pete. I guess my real concern is whether it needs to be in the "medium-long" tool spot that is occupied by the scissors and Phillips, so that it doesn't interfere with the pliers closing. I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice either of those tools, but any of the flat heads and maybe even the opener are fair game to swap out.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 09:30:18 PM
Finally got some time to swap in the awl. Width-wise it's the same as the opener, big screwdiver, and little screwdriver....medium driver is a different width and shape.

My first attempt was to put the awl in place of the little driver, but the awl leans to one side (like an SAK opener) and this caused it to block the Phillips from opening and it got caught on the plier head. Swapped it in to the can opener slot, moved the opener to the little drivers spot and everything fits. Hard to open the individual tools in this arrangement, but they open as a clump and are kind of slow to get to anyway, so this isn't a big deal. The opener doesn't work as good in this spot, but the sharp point mangles beer caps anyway so I just pressed it in to cap a bit and it worked (have never used it on can).

Ground down the medium driver so it's a more useful size for recessed battery compartments, etc.  IMO it's much better then the regular little driver, which I find too small and easily chipped to be useful. Had previously put a SOG saw in place of the blade.

I think this is as good as it gets for a bladeless PST.
IMG_4263.JPG
* IMG_4263.JPG (Filesize: 184.48 KB)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:45:59 PM by tommywp »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:52:57 PM
Nice !    I  :like:   :tu:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:14:22 AM
G'Day,

I like that too. A very nice set-up. The saw is a good addition!!!

Cheers,

Pete

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 01:17:37 PM
Finally got some time to swap in the awl. Width-wise it's the same as the opener, big screwdiver, and little screwdriver....medium driver is a different width and shape.

My first attempt was to put the awl in place of the little driver, but the awl leans to one side (like an SAK opener) and this caused it to block the Phillips from opening and it got caught on the plier head. Swapped it in to the can opener slot, moved the opener to the little drivers spot and everything fits. Hard to open the individual tools in this arrangement, but they open as a clump and are kind of slow to get to anyway, so this isn't a big deal. The opener doesn't work as good in this spot, but the sharp point mangles beer caps anyway so I just pressed it in to cap a bit and it worked (have never used it on can).

Ground down the medium driver so it's a more useful size for recessed battery compartments, etc.  IMO it's much better then the regular little driver, which I find too small and easily chipped to be useful. Had previously put a SOG saw in place of the blade.

I think this is as good as it gets for a bladeless PST.

I have to say, those sog saws are probably the most aesthetically pleasing of all the main brand mt saws.

Oh... and nice mod by the way!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:18:48 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:02:23 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh MY HEAD DIZZY  :twak: :twak: :twak: :facepalm: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 11:21:59 AM
Very nice toolset for that PST, Tommy :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30