Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Worrying times for UK knife retailers

gb Offline daverobson

Worrying times for UK knife retailers
on: October 07, 2017, 11:32:12 AM
I've just received this from Heinnie Haynes,  the UK’s largest online retailer of knives and their accessories.

https://www.heinnie.com/blog/heinnie-haynes-response-to-the-home-secretarys-announcement/?utm_source=Heinnie+Haynes+-+from+website+signup&utm_campaign=6c814c64e0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_10_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_15c01d759b-6c814c64e0-146668701&mc_cid=6c814c64e0&mc_eid=f3e8853c1e

"On July 18th, 2017, the Home Secretary announced her intention to tighten the law in order to stop under 18s being able to purchase knives. The proposed measures would mean anyone who bought a knife online would be required to collect it in person, with retailers responsible for checking the age of all buyers".

I know the UK Government has to be seen to be taking action against knife crime but considering that knife related offences in the UK are made using ordinary kitchen knives the proposed action will only affect the ordinary law abiding community.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:33:35 AM by daverobson »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Worrying times for UK knife retailers
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:46:19 PM
"Buy 10 foot poles! Only the finest 10 foot poles! Best prices for 10 foot poles!"

So, no, I won't touch this one.  :)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:06:03 PM
What about out of town or international customers? Well it might not apply for international customers since the knives are shipped out of the country anyway. Out of curiosity, if it is illegal for minors to purchase tobacco and alcohol in the UK, do workers at supermarkets check the age? Locally they should but don't. Only time they don't sell alcohol is when there are too many people around that might complain and the minor is very obvious.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:07:46 PM
What about out of town or international customers? Well it might not apply for international customers since the knives are shipped out of the country anyway. Out of curiosity, if it is illegal for minors to purchase tobacco and alcohol in the UK, do workers at supermarkets check the age? Locally they should but don't. Only time they don't sell alcohol is when there are too many people around that might complain and the minor is very obvious.

Some shop keepers just want to make as much money as they can and don´t  give a d**m about their responsibility to society.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:08:08 PM
Legitimate question, Does the Home Secretary not realize that most homes have kitchen knives?  There really is not a reason to buy a knife.  I watched a series of videos related to knife crime in the UK as I was really quite unaware the sheer number of incidents.  Its a bit surprising and while I can understand efforts to curb knife related crimes this seems not well thought out. 

Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 04:21:00 PM
poor Heinnie, I bought twice from them, knives included.
Their service was top notch   
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:22 PM
I know the UK Government has to be seen to be taking action against knife crime but considering that knife related offences in the UK are made using ordinary kitchen knives the proposed action will only affect the ordinary law abiding community.
Since most knife-related offences involve kitchen knives, do they mostly occur in the home?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
Since most knife-related offences involve kitchen knives, do they mostly occur in the home?

In The Netherlands, yes. Most violence is domestic anyway.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:45:05 PM

No, bust kitchen knives are the main culprits

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/07/teenager-arrested-after-17-year-old-kyle-yule-stabbed-death-gillingham-kent
https://www.964eagle.co.uk/news/uk-news/2397429/boy-15-arrested-after-fatal-stabbing-in-neasden/
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:56:46 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/07/teenager-arrested-after-17-year-old-kyle-yule-stabbed-death-gillingham-kent
https://www.964eagle.co.uk/news/uk-news/2397429/boy-15-arrested-after-fatal-stabbing-in-neasden/
I didn't see any mention on what type of knife was used in those articles.  :think:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:04:49 PM

I didn't see any mention on what type of knife was used in those articles.  :think:

You could put money on they were kitchen knives, I wouldn't bet against you
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:17:01 PM
I can't imagine they would be easy to carry on your person.
Some of stabbings in the street that I have read about here involved SAKs, not sure what sort of knives the others have been.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 10:28:08 PM
Some of stabbings in the street that I have read about here involved SAKs, not sure what sort of knives the others have been.

Ok you obviously know more about what's happening here than we do so I'll bow out
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:08:09 PM by Smashie »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 11:05:39 PM
Occasionally, you'll see an interview when someone in the media is interviewing one of the hoodie wearing inbred knuckle dragging smurfwits that wanders round estates up to no good, and they'll invariably pull a kitchen knife out. Ugly looking smurfers they are, all their faces are blurred - should make them easy for the coppers to spot  :P :D

One I saw in an interview was carrying a cleaver down his trousers  :facepalm: He said he carried it cos it was scarier. I just hope it was sharp enough to remove him from the gene pool if he started running with it there:whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:27 PM

Ok you obviously know more about what's happening here than we do so I'll bow out
If everyone knew everything then there would be no need for discussion.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:27:10 PM by Syncop8r »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 02:49:59 AM
I have just sent a very carefully worded letter to my MP, explaining in language that non-knife people would understand, all the flaws in the proposals. I have intentionally written it in a way that promotes responsible knife carry, and highlights just some of the ways I personally have been able to significantly save the day using bladed tools (both within and outside the sub 3" non-locking guidance for general purpose carry).

I am not going to post it here, but if any UK member would like to see it, either just out of interest, or for potential ideas for contacting your own MP, drop me a PM  :tu: I know letter writing is not everyone's forte, so if anyone would like some help compiling a well worded letter of their own, again feel free to PM me, and I'll do what I can to help  :salute:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 06:30:01 AM
I’ve seen Wessex Blades has been active on this topic and has some vids (ideas) about it.
Andrew

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 11:08:26 AM

Maybe you could provide us with a good reference?

All I can find is that knife stabbings are listed i as sharp objects, so it seems the official report does not even distinguish between knife and broken bottle (official statistics). Does actual statistics exist? Best I can find is Mail Online claiming "The most common knife involved in these deaths is a knife from the kitchen" but since we don't know how many categories there are, this is pretty insignificant.

Occasionally, you'll see an interview when someone in the media is interviewing one of the hoodie wearing inbred knuckle dragging smurfwits that wanders round estates up to no good, and they'll invariably pull a kitchen knife out. Ugly looking smurfers they are, all their faces are blurred - should make them easy for the coppers to spot  :P :D

One I saw in an interview was carrying a cleaver down his trousers  :facepalm: He said he carried it cos it was scarier. I just hope it was sharp enough to remove him from the gene pool if he started running with it there:whistle:
Yeah, the media, well known for bringing unbiased, well represented and researched news :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 11:20:26 AM
I had a bit of a look too but couldn't find anything on knife type. My assumption was that because these crimes involve mostly kitchen knives (apparently) then it was because they occurred in the home (due to a domestic). However others have pointed out these are carried by young people in the streets (which sounds uncomfortable to me!).

The link I found above is about how many physical stores are selling to minors which dispels the notion that it is only internet stores that are the problem.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 12:26:14 PM
I had a bit of a look too but couldn't find anything on knife type. My assumption was that because these crimes involve mostly kitchen knives (apparently) then it was because they occurred in the home (due to a domestic). However others have pointed out these are carried by young people in the streets (which sounds uncomfortable to me!).

The link I found above is about how many physical stores are selling to minors which dispels the notion that it is only internet stores that are the problem.
As a general rule of thumb it is:
- Violence against women is mostly domestic
- Violence against (between) men is commonly in public

I also don't see how they carry kitchen knives, seems stupid, but it is probably the largest knives they have access too (especially since most minors have a tight budget).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 05:31:38 PM
Back to the original topic/worry.
In Switzerland we have the Swiss ID, which is kinda like a passport but for online use. It is relatively new (spring 2017), so it is not yet widely implemented
In the long run, it has a wide variety of applications, most of them government related. With a verified online identity you could perform many services over the internet that presently, require you to show up in person:
- getting a copy of your criminal records for your new job
- registering with the government after moving
- online voting
But such an online identity could also be used by shops, to ensure you are an adult for purchase of alcohol, weapons or knives.

Of course Switzerland is not alone,
UK has the  "GOV.UK Verify".
And EU has STORK(Secure idenTity acrOss boRders linKed) and eIDAS(electronic IDentification, Authentication and trust Services)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 06:47:22 PM

I do not know if you meant it in this particular way or that phrase means something else across the pond but calling someone a “knuckle dragger” is wildly racist towards blacks. Just figured I should mention that in case you do not know. If I said that here I better be prepared to fight on the spot.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:00 PM

I do not know if you meant it in this particular way or that phrase means something else across the pond but calling someone a “knuckle dragger” is wildly racist towards blacks. Just figured I should mention that in case you do not know. If I said that here I better be prepared to fight on the spot.

Thanks for pointing that out Cap'n  :salute: That was certainly not the context I was aiming at, and my apologies to anyone who misinterpretted my intention.

The usage as I am familiar with it and intended it, is unthinking animalistic peoples of all genders, races, ages, religions, and any other demographic you care to mention. It's those around us who seem to act as a more primitive primate, taking whatever they want, preferring violence to words, and generally being the most unthinking and least civilised persons in society. I have encountered them in all colours, shapes and sizes, and have disdain for them all equally.  :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 07:04:34 PM

Really doesn't mean that in the UK, least of all not that I ever encountered.

Then again teaching in an American art school I made a rather bad gaff as an Englishman and teacher telling students who needed help with their end of term projects to 'hook up' with me for assistance. To make it even worse the head of the school happened to be in the room at the time. Cue 20 girls starting to giggle under their desks and thankfully a single English student who loudly protested that she couldn't work out what everyone thought was so funny thereby saving my bacon and resulting in the head quietly mentioning that it was something 'suggestive' in the US and I should avoid using that phrase in future rather than the full blown reprimand it might have been!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:29:00 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 07:22:03 PM
As far as the original topic, this will just create a market for over 18 year old's to supply knives to youngsters on the estates. If indeed they are buying from knife shops rather than kitchenware stores as seems to be believed. That and every kid has a fake ID to buy alcohol and fags (Brit slang for cigs) or get into a 18 rated movie at the cinema. Heck I used to supply airsoft pistols to my class mates bought with a fake ID when I was 16 (back in the olden days) cause I was a big lad. We were middle class grammer school boys looking to plink at paper targets rather than the lower strata of society specifically looking to do violent crime. I firmly refuse to confirm buying cheap cider for parties using the same fake ID. :D We were kids being naughty but measures like this already don't work for naughty kids never mind criminals. All it will achieve is, yet again, for the government to pretend like it is doing something for the papers while, yet again, leaving the real problems for another parliament to deal with long after said government is happily retired with their peerages, knighthoods and golden parachute fat cat positions managing charities.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:28:35 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 07:54:33 PM
As far as the original topic, this will just create a market for over 18 year old's to supply knives to youngsters on the estates. If indeed they are buying from knife shops rather than kitchenware stores as seems to be believed. That and every kid has a fake ID to buy alcohol and fags (Brit slang for cigs) or get into a 18 rated movie at the cinema. Heck I used to supply airsoft pistols to my class mates bought with a fake ID when I was 16 (back in the olden days) cause I was a big lad. We were middle class grammer school boys looking to plink at paper targets rather than the lower strata of society specifically looking to do violent crime. I firmly refuse to confirm buying cheap cider for parties using the same fake ID. :D We were kids being naughty but measures like this already don't work for naughty kids never mind criminals. All it will achieve is, yet again, for the government to pretend like it is doing something for the papers while, yet again, leaving the real problems for another parliament to deal with long after said government is happily retired with their peerages, knighthoods and golden parachute fat cat positions managing charities.
You make it sound as if we live in the same country :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 04:26:24 AM
I figured you did not mean it in that particular way. Just wanted to point it out to possibly save you some trouble one day. I know you would never say racial slurs.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 03:27:29 PM
I figured you did not mean it in that particular way. Just wanted to point it out to possibly save you some trouble one day. I know you would never say racial slurs.  :salute:

Thank you Cap'n  :salute: I appreciate it.

I will certainly try to bear that in mind, but fear I might need reminding of the connotations elsewhere at some point, as it is a phrase I use quite regularly in real life to describe our various lowest common denominators.

:oops:

Language can be such a tricky thing in international settings.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:26 PM

Never heard the term knuckle dragger used as a racial slur. We used the term when I was a ski bum in Colorado for snowboarders.   

Maybe a California thing  ?    :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD