Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Almost there.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Almost there.
on: October 09, 2017, 04:29:53 PM
In 1969 I bought my very first SAK. many more followed, a few lost afield, one our two stolen in a military barracks situation, a few traded off as I figured out what model I like the best or how many layers fit in a pocket the best.

So it's been 48 years now that I've had a SAK on or around someplace. I used too e quite a knife nut, and had a nice size collection of traditional pocket knives. But in 1997, and again in the early 2000's I did a downsize of my stuff, and the knife collection went as did the gun collection. Kept only what I used the most. With the knives, it was the SAK. Nowadays it's the only knife I carry anymore, and I seem to have lost most my interest in those "other" knives that are one trick ponies.

I'm looking forward to making it to a half century of SAK use and carry, ad I'm figuring how to celebrate? maybe a trip to Switzerland to tour the factory? A Damascus SAK?

How does one celebrate 50 years of SAKdom?
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Re: Almost there.
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:25 PM
Congratulations!

I see a parallel to retirement.  For me, retirement is like one eternal weekend. :)

Carrying a SAK is a type of celebration in itself that goes on and on, fueled by utility and creativity.

Do you have a favorite or do you cycle through a number of favorites?

:climber:

Jim

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:49:20 PM
Switzerland is pretty good - If you have time visit Ibach  - but lots of other nicer more interesting things to do (is that SAKrilege) ???

How about finding a 69 Soldier?? - And couple that with the 2019 Alox Pioneer LE  - Engraved with 1969-2019 :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:52:38 PM
You are a few years ahead of me in terms of SAK carry, cbll51. I'm not sure how best to celebrate such a milestone.

You could do something as simple as an engraved SAK with dates or "50th Anniversary SAK". A nice Alox with "50 years" or, the fancier Latin version, "L Annis".

If a tour of the Swiss plant is feasible for you.....wow, that would be special. Do it! (and send pictures.)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:42:16 PM
In 1969 I bought my very first SAK. many more followed, a few lost afield, one our two stolen in a military barracks situation, a few traded off as I figured out what model I like the best or how many layers fit in a pocket the best.

So it's been 48 years now that I've had a SAK on or around someplace. I used too e quite a knife nut, and had a nice size collection of traditional pocket knives. But in 1997, and again in the early 2000's I did a downsize of my stuff, and the knife collection went as did the gun collection. Kept only what I used the most. With the knives, it was the SAK. Nowadays it's the only knife I carry anymore, and I seem to have lost most my interest in those "other" knives that are one trick ponies.

I'm looking forward to making it to a half century of SAK use and carry, ad I'm figuring how to celebrate? maybe a trip to Switzerland to tour the factory? A Damascus SAK?

How does one celebrate 50 years of SAKdom?

Based on the fact that you have got rid of stuff that you don't use, I would say that it's got to ba a knife that you would carry. A '69 Soldier would certainly be a consideration, or maybe veer off slightly and get a Victorinox watch. After all, it is time that you are celebrating.  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:47:34 PM
Thats a nice milestone and a terrific testament to the mighty SAK.  However you decide to mark the occasion I'm sure it's going to be some celebration.  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:28:31 PM
Hi jackknife (can I call you that here?   :cheers:)

I know how much you value minimalist carry, knives with Alox scales and more than one-trick-pony features and how much you like Victorinox scissors, so I suggest that you congrat yourself the 50 years of SAK carry with a MT.org Pioneer X,
This forum exclusive knife is the best I can think to celebrate with the best forumites and biggest SAK fan community in the world, and put your grain of salt to contribute to this great place,

congrats on your great journey and

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 08:12:00 PM

Jim

Yeah, over the years I've seen a gravitation to the two layer alox like the cadet and pioneer, and especially my old and trusted war horse, the Wenger SI. I'll have a huntsman and then go back to the SI. Then I'll be carrying a spartan, and then go back to a pioneer. Then a super tinker is carried for a while and I'll go back to a cadet. Then...and so on and so on. Everytime I try another model, I end up back with a pioneer/SI or a cadet.

But through it all, over the past twenty something years, a little classic has lived on my keyring. No matter what else I was carrying, pioneer, SI, or tinker which made it a long time, the classic was on my keyring. When I did my time in Vietnam, a well used pioneer was on me. I seem to be prejudiced towards the two layer alox. Again and again it's what I went back to when the "new" wore off my SAK of the day of that time.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:14:22 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:33:42 PM
Hi jackknife (can I call you that here?   :cheers:)

I know how much you value minimalist carry, knives with Alox scales and more than one-trick-pony features and how much you like Victorinox scissors, so I suggest that you congrat yourself the 50 years of SAK carry with a MT.org Pioneer X,
This forum exclusive knife is the best I can think to celebrate with the best forumites and biggest SAK fan community in the world, and put your grain of salt to contribute to this great place,

congrats on your great journey and

You have a point, the pioneer X seems to embody everything I've loved in a SAK. I do have a great preference to alox, and I do love Victorinox scissors. Not a bad idea at all! :tu:

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 03:25:16 PM

Jim

Yeah, over the years I've seen a gravitation to the two layer alox like the cadet and pioneer, and especially my old and trusted war horse, the Wenger SI. I'll have a huntsman and then go back to the SI. Then I'll be carrying a spartan, and then go back to a pioneer. Then a super tinker is carried for a while and I'll go back to a cadet. Then...and so on and so on. Everytime I try another model, I end up back with a pioneer/SI or a cadet.

But through it all, over the past twenty something years, a little classic has lived on my keyring. No matter what else I was carrying, pioneer, SI, or tinker which made it a long time, the classic was on my keyring. When I did my time in Vietnam, a well used pioneer was on me. I seem to be prejudiced towards the two layer alox. Again and again it's what I went back to when the "new" wore off my SAK of the day of that time.

The 69 soldier sounds like a good plan .... if not a birth year soldier :)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:41 PM

Jim

The 2-layer Alox is an excellent everyday carry. The awl on the Pioneer is one of my favorite tools and the PX adds scissors with another layer and noticeable weight gain. I am really surprised how much I like the Cadet and have succumbed to the multi-color purchases.

Thanks for serving! I had a high draft number and never got drafted. Now I am wondering whatever happened to my draft card.

:salute:

Jim

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 04:18:22 PM

Jim

The 2-layer Alox is an excellent everyday carry. The awl on the Pioneer is one of my favorite tools and the PX adds scissors with another layer and noticeable weight gain. I am really surprised how much I like the Cadet and have succumbed to the multi-color purchases.

Thanks for serving! I had a high draft number and never got drafted. Now I am wondering whatever happened to my draft card.

:salute:

Jim

I think that over so man-years, I've found out that for me and my own personal lifestyle, the two layer alox does seem to fit in the best. Part feel of the alox, the idea of a bomb proof pocket knife, and the ruggedness of the alox with it's resistance to solvents and bug repellent.

I had a very high draft number, so I ent and enlisted. For some strange reason I felt the great need to go serve. I wasn't college material and I realized the GI benefits would come in handy later in life.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:13:16 PM
How about you get the best 69 Soldier you can find and install scales from a 2019 Pioneer LE, 1969 and 2019 on the same knife, best of both worlds  :cheers:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 02:38:45 AM
I'd suggest your birth year Soldier.
- Steve

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:31 AM
THANK YOU SIR for your service. :salute:
A '69 SAK would be realy cool, I'm on the look out for one myself.  That's my BYSAK.  :whistle:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 09:11:07 AM
I fully understand the charm of 2-layer Alox and I really appreciate your minimalist approach, cbl51 :salute:

The PX, a great and lovely SAK though it is, I just can't bring myself to like it.

So may I suggest an Alox Classic or Rambler? You can keep tweezers and toothpick in the sheath.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 08:19:24 PM
I fully understand the charm of 2-layer Alox and I really appreciate your minimalist approach, cbl51 :salute:

The PX, a great and lovely SAK though it is, I just can't bring myself to like it.

So may I suggest an Alox Classic or Rambler? You can keep tweezers and toothpick in the sheath.

I don't think an alox classic would work for me. To me, the classic is kind of a semi disposable knife/tool. Since it's still a ten dollar knife at Walmart and Target, and way less at gun shows that have TSA confiscations, I use the ever lovin dog poo out of it. It's my "Will my blade survive this" kind of tool. Like a pawn on the Chess board, the classic in it's keyring sheath is the first up in the line of fire.

That's how I know the classic is so much more durable than people think; I've pushed it beyond four just the reason the I can replace it for 10 bucks. The cost of a chain restaurant  lunch or a couple beers at the neighborhood pub. 

Kind of hard on the pawn, but there it is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%