Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why don't they make (or do they)?

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Why don't they make (or do they)?
on: October 10, 2017, 10:53:04 PM
Why doesn't Vic make a tool with a bottle opener bottom with a can opener on top as one tool?  Seems like it would save space, esp on those models with fewer layers (it would give a one layer tool with both functions) and also make space for yet another tool of some sort. Just a thought.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why don't they make (or do they)?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:24 PM
There is the combo tool.. The only problem I'd have with a tool being designed that way would it would have to be bigger, or too mini to work.

As I dig for the little screwdriver I recently lost with a Schrader tool ( tire valve core puller), I wish Vic offered an SAK with one.  It would make for a good, modern Motorist.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:02:18 PM
Why doesn't Vic make a tool with a bottle opener bottom with a can opener on top as one tool?  Seems like it would save space, esp on those models with fewer layers (it would give a one layer tool with both functions) and also make space for yet another tool of some sort. Just a thought.

Rich

Victorinox does make a combo tool. One example of a SAK with this tool is the Compact that I am using today...

Victorinox Compact by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:25:59 PM
To me, the inside edge of the combo tool isn't sharp enough to use as a can opener. I have bantams, waiters, compacts, etc.  Maybe I'll try sharpening the inside edge of the combo tool on one of my bantams.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:33:17 PM
To me, the inside edge of the combo tool isn't sharp enough to use as a can opener. I have bantams, waiters, compacts, etc.  Maybe I'll try sharpening the inside edge of the combo tool on one of my bantams.

Rich
Well it was designed to be a usable can opener. If you want it sharper, I have heard that simply squaring off the edges by taking a file to the bottom of the combo tool can improve its can opening preformance.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:17:16 AM
I have found the combo tool perfectly adequate for cans, and keep a MFV in my kitchen drawer

The combination bottle opener, can opener, screwdriver and SAW on the 108mm line however, doesn't seem to do anything well  :-\
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:18:47 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:33:48 PM

Rich

While the combo tool or similar would be "passable" for that, it really depends what you use or want the opening layer for. If the main goal is to pop bottle caps or open tin cans i will agree, however for me the actual intended primary function of those two tools is very low on my priority list. I use them 98% of the time as screwdriver, prybar, hex bit driver, scraper, puller, hook, etc... So if they could get all all of those functions into one tool, with the same sturdiness of the two, and with the added bonus of being a useful cap lifter and can opener i would be all for it. Until then i don't mind a whole dedicated layer for that  ;)   :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:35:22 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:55 AM

Rich

While the combo tool or similar would be "passable" for that, it really depends what you use or want the opening layer for. If the main goal is to pop bottle caps or open tin cans i will agree, however for me the actual intended primary function of those two tools is very low on my priority list. I use them 98% of the time as screwdriver, prybar, hex bit driver, scraper, puller, hook, etc... So if they could get all all of those functions into one tool, with the same sturdiness of the two, and with the added bonus of being a useful cap lifter and can opener i would be all for it. Until then i don't mind a whole dedicated layer for that  ;)   :cheers:

While the Compact does a great job of squeezing scissors in a 2-layer SAK by using a combo tool, I much prefer the dedicated opener/lifter layer and also use them for other functions.

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 07:16:54 PM
Why are you kids always trying to change things?!
...and get off my lawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 07:35:31 PM
I would think if that compact had a Philips rather then a corkscrew that would be a perfect little setup, that combo is a neat little tool, no not great for can opening, but really how many times are you going to use it for that reason? I’d rather have the double setup cause then you get that little screwdriver, I mean Syph has the right setup, the two screwdriver on one side and the Philips on the other, but then you don’t need the Philips on the bottom and your back to the corkscrew, but if you put an awl, that would be a nice setup!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%