Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Gerber MP400

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

New Gerber MP400
on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:53 PM
I recently replaced my MP400 as my old one now resides at the bottom of a lake.
I bought my old one about 5 years ago, and the new one today.

I wasn't super impressed with the sliding releases that lock the tools in place, they seem like a really light plastic, and visually it looks a little cheaper.

Is this something they did to make it lighter? Anyone else notice these subtle changes? And has anyone noticed a drop in quality or durability between the older ones and the current ones?

Cheers

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: New Gerber MP400
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:20:20 PM
 :think:

What did your old one have?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:29 AM
:think:

What did your old one have?

Now I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the underside of the pliers being a bit more bulky, and perhaps the tool lock releases were metal

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 01:47:19 AM
Welcome to the forum Bwr   :cheers:

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:21:36 AM
Welcome to the forum Bwr   :cheers:

Thanks, brother

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:25:55 AM
Hey backwood.
I have three mp4** series tools from the early spear point blade mp400, mp400 w/ corkscrew and a new mp450 (file instead of scissors).
The locks are all the same rigid plastic and feel the same to me. Maybe the years of use made them feel smoother or something to that effect?
Also, sometimes we are so fond of something we had lost, we tend to think it was better than anything you can buy today and is irreplaceable.  Like, many people swear antique Case knives are leaps and bounds better than new ones, even if it not really true.
There is also the possibility the seller you got it from was selling factory seconds or even a fake mp400 without knowing. But, I do know the MP600 is highly faked!
Would you mind posting a couple of photos of the tool in question? There are a lot of MP experts on this board. Perhaps they'll chime in. :)
Here is a pic of the three side by side.
Hope this helps.
20171007_220651-1.jpeg
* 20171007_220651-1.jpeg (Filesize: 157 KB)
20171007_221239-1.jpeg
* 20171007_221239-1.jpeg (Filesize: 78.71 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:25:38 AM
Hey backwood.
I have three mp4** series tools from the early spear point blade mp400, mp400 w/ corkscrew and a new mp450 (file instead of scissors).
The locks are all the same rigid plastic and feel the same to me. Maybe the years of use made them feel smoother or something to that effect?
Also, sometimes we are so fond of something we had lost, we tend to think it was better than anything you can buy today and is irreplaceable.  Like, many people swear antique Case knives are leaps and bounds better than new ones, even if it not really true.
There is also the possibility the seller you got it from was selling factory seconds or even a fake mp400 without knowing. But, I do know the MP600 is highly faked!
Would you mind posting a couple of photos of the tool in question? There are a lot of MP experts on this board. Perhaps they'll chime in. :)
Hope this helps.

That helps tremendously. I believe I had the model on the far right of the pictures you posted.
Perhaps you're right though, I may be remembering it sweeter than it was.

As for being fake, I bought it at a bass pro. I reckon that would make it legitimate. Just different haha

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:58 AM
Hey backwood.
Hope this helps.

That helps tremendously. I believe I had the model on the far right of the pictures you posted.

As for being fake, I bought it at a bass pro. I reckon that would make it legitimate. Just different haha

:tu:
Bass Pro would definitely be genuine(I would live there if I could. :rofl:). :)

The new MP400 will get better once it is broken in and feels proper!  :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:43:05 PM
Hey backwood.
Hope this helps.

Here's a couple shots of the one I picked up the other day.
Exact same tool layout as my previous one.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:44:52 PM by Backwoodrebel »

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:58 PM
Hey backwood.
Hope this helps.

I also noticed on this one where it says "Gerber" all of yours, and my old one, have the smaller "Gerber USA".

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:40:27 PM
Hey backwood.
Hope this helps.

I also noticed on this one where it says "Gerber" all of yours, and my old one, have the smaller "Gerber USA".
Then there is a distinct possibility that the "newest" Gerbers have gotten a bit less quality. Looks like the Gerbers with USA removed are the newest ones being sold right now. I will have to pick one up next week and do a comparison on it and the ones I have marked USA. :cheers:

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
Hey backwood.
Hope this helps.

Then there is a distinct possibility that the "newest" Gerbers have gotten a bit less quality. Looks like the Gerbers with USA removed are the newest ones being sold right now. I will have to pick one up next week and do a comparison on it and the ones I have marked USA. :cheers:

That would be great if you did that and let me know what you figure! I might be crazy, but they seem a tad lower quality wise

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:35:58 AM
Hey backwood.
Hope this helps.

That would be great if you did that and let me know what you figure! I might be crazy, but they seem a tad lower quality wise
I really hope Gerber hasn't crapped up the MP400, because it is superb function vs. weight. IMHO

I do have the newest MP600 that has the USA removed and is called a "multi plier". It seems to be fine compared to the USA marked 600s, but that is a more expensive and heavy model.

The packaging now says "made with USA labor with Global materials".
They've been foreign parts assembled in the USA for years, but I think the law says that it has to be a certain percent USA parts to be stamped "USA" now.
The only tool that is now made 100% in the US with USA parts is the Gerber Center- Drive I believe. It is pretty awesome, but with a pretty "awesome" price tag as well. :o

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 11:57:07 AM
Welcome to :MTO: Bwr :cheers: Hope we can get confirmation one way or the other about the new MP400 series :tu: It is a nice tool and one of the few Gerbers I have :ahhh Be a shame to see that the quality has dropped on them :facepalm: :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:06:00 PM
Lock tabs look the same as on my old MP400 - which is 13 years old now. Rose colored glasses?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 08:58:04 PM
That has been the hypothesis rdub, but we would have to have a new one like his and an older one to see if the feel and action is the same.
Just because it looks like a duck, doesn't mean it is a duck. :cheers:

ca Offline Backwoodrebel

Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 04:10:49 AM
Lock tabs look the same as on my old MP400 - which is 13 years old now. Rose colored glasses?

This is 100% possible, my friend haha. But like many of us, I'm particular about my tools, and I just had to know for sure   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD
45%