Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Delémont Executive 81 - Rebranded as 'Wenger'

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Delémont Executive 81 - Rebranded as 'Wenger'
on: October 11, 2017, 05:42:33 AM
Key Knights

I was just surfing the Vic website and it looks like the Delémont Executive 81 has been rebranded as the 'Wenger'.

The Wenger Executive 81 was the Wenger 65mm equivalent of the Vic Classic - Which Vic chose to make as one of the Delémonts - originally calling it the .Executive 81

But the Website now shows it as the 'Wenger'. and it has a NEW sticker on it
It even has the regular Wenger logo and WENGER printed on the scales.
But the same model number with different suffix - So I am pretty sure it's the same knife

It looks really nice - Check it out:
https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Small-Pocket-Knives/Wenger/p/0.6423.91

That's a really nice touch from Victorinox - I'd say.

There was much speculation here that the Delemonts might not last - But it is three years now that they have been around - This looks like it will extend further ???
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:50:48 AM by Huntsman »

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Re: Delémont Executive 81 - Rebranded as 'Wenger'
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:18:39 PM
I read somewhere that Vic is gonna rebrand the whole Delémont line to Wenger, because of brand recognition and to not let it be used by others. Something like that.
I like it.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:32:14 PM
Rebranding this means that Victorinox has a current product searchable as Wenger in online search engines, bringing the searcher to the Victorinox line. That's the only reason I can see for doing this :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:34:50 PM
It doesn't look available just yet.  I'm hoping for the Pocket Tool Chest to resurface.

* wenger.jpg (Filesize: 14.15 KB)
- Steve

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:24 PM
Wasn't this just offered with Traditional scales and the Victorinox logo as the Executive 81?
- Steve

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:58:54 AM
Well its in the Wiki now:
http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Wenger+or+Executive+81
I hope its clear !!

Wasn't this just offered with Traditional scales and the Victorinox logo as the Executive 81?
Correct - That's the point I am trying to make  ;)
ie It's been rebranded since Victorinox brought out the Delémont Executive 81 (- Not the initial rebranding from from W to V)

@ Smiler - Pocket Tool Chest would be really cool - (I don't have one and would like one ;) ) - It's possibly more useful that the Minichamp ???
- But unfortunately I don't see it happening :(
@ BleaKrytE - That would be very interesting and very confusing !!
@  m47mu74nt - Definitely - especially if BleaKrytE is right :o
@ 50ft-trad  - Hmm cynical - Maybe true ??? - I prefer cosier (historical) motives !!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:38:40 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:46:22 AM
PS. This was an interesting move by Vic and I never saw it coming

Interesting - As one of the reasons Vic gave for retiring the Wenger SAK product line in 2013 - Was that there was confusion in the public between the two brands
ie People did not understand the two logos - Were they both real SAKs? - Was one a Chinese knockoff? What were the differences?  etc etc
- Which I can well believe - it certainly happened to me before I came to MTo !!

Whilst I think this is a nice move by Vic - It does bring back that potential confusion ! Especially if BleaKrytE is right!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:47:36 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:16 PM
Well its in the Wiki now:
http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Wenger+or+Executive+81
I hope its clear !!

Correct - That's the point I am trying to make  ;)
ie It's been rebranded since Victorinox brought out the Delémont Executive 81 (- Not the initial rebranding from from W to V)

@ Smiler - Pocket Tool Chest would be really cool - (I don't have one and would like one ;) ) - It's possibly more useful that the Minichamp ???
- But unfortunately I don't see it happening :(

There's no possibly about it.The PTC is simply the superior key chain size SAK that has so many more uses then any 58mm. :pok:

20171012_072812.jpg
* 20171012_072812.jpg (Filesize: 151.75 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:21:38 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh. outstanding!!
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:57:32 PM
Key Knights

I was just surfing the Vic website and it looks like the Delémont Executive 81 has been rebranded as the 'Wenger'.

The Wenger Executive 81 was the Wenger 65mm equivalent of the Vic Classic - Which Vic chose to make as one of the Delémonts - originally calling it the .Executive 81

But the Website now shows it as the 'Wenger'. and it has a NEW sticker on it
It even has the regular Wenger logo and WENGER printed on the scales.
But the same model number with different suffix - So I am pretty sure it's the same knife

It looks really nice - Check it out:
https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Small-Pocket-Knives/Wenger/p/0.6423.91

That's a really nice touch from Victorinox - I'd say.

There was much speculation here that the Delemonts might not last - But it is three years now that they have been around - This looks like it will extend further ???

I like it!   :like: :tu: :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:18:59 AM
One more comment

I really hated the Wenger silly model numbering (lack of) convention
There was some logic, but then it all went to  pot with other models - and it was very confusing - and I just could not work it out .
Eg the 79, 179, 55, 155 all have the same basic toolset blade, saw, openers, cs, awl - The differences being the blade type - I think -  :think: - But how do you know which is which?

And then a completely new set of numbers for the same toolset with Phillips  :bnghd:

For me a single tool name (or even number) for a base model based on the main toolset - with alphanumeric suffixes for the (blade) variations would have been a much better way to go.
Eg O for One handed opening, P for plain edged, S for serrated etc etc

I was really hoping Vic would sort that out when they took over the Wengers - But they just kept those horrible numbers

At least they are heading the right way with the Wenger - Even if that in itself is a little confusing - ie A Victorinox called Wenger 
But they missed another great naming opportunity here in the 65mm range  :o
- Why isn't the Nailclip 580 just called the Swiss Clipper  ??? - Its old Wenger name - and very nice and descriptive  :tu:
- And why isn't the Nailclip 582 just called the NailClip          - Ditto  :think:

What's with those silly numbers ??? - And why does the larger model have a smaller number anyway.  :think:
It's nuts

Sorry everyone rant over -  :rant:  - Very happy if someone can explain this to me !!   :D
But I will take a lot of convincing - Ooops there I go again  :twak:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:30:57 AM by Huntsman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24