Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Had a friend print me 91 mm scales

us Offline Zhenchok

on: September 27, 2017, 05:34:45 PM
I honestly can’t say If I’m excited or not.  It does look like a neat job but I do see some minor gaps in the material. I honestly don’t even have a Sak to try these on. He said it took 40 minutes to print and used about 10 oz of the plastic material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:44:03 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Had a friend print me 91 mm scales
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:41:44 PM
Looks exactly like the ABS scales we ordered. What material is it made of?

Before you install, do make sure if the T&T go an and out smoothly  :)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:55 PM
I honestly can’t say If I’m excited or not.  It does look like a neat job but I do see some minor gaps in the material. I honestly don’t even have a Sak to try these on. He said it took 40 minutes to print and used about 10 oz of the plastic material.

(...)

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:04:01 PM
Haha, love the kitten picture.  the reason i say this is because I don't have a SAk that has bad scales, last time I tried to take a scale off I ended up damaging the little T&T, i think is what they are called.  I do have a Spartan that I could try it on but that would mean I have to take off the original factory scales to put on the new ones:)   I think the material he used is called PLA, I'll ask him again when I have a chance.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:07:27 PM
Haha, love the kitten picture.  the reason i say this is because I don't have a SAk that has bad scales, last time I tried to take a scale off I ended up damaging the little T&T, i think is what they are called.  I do have a Spartan that I could try it on but that would mean I have to take off the original factory scales to put on the new ones:)   I think the material he used is called PLA, I'll ask him again when I have a chance.

Victorinox scales are not meant to be popped off and on repeatedly. They are held in place with a compression fit after being pressed on with a factory vice. That said, people do pop them on and off but they don't always fit reliably. One of my Compacts was purchased used but in excellent condition. The tools all looked great--all except for the toothpick, which wouldn't move (a previous owner had epoxied the scales and some must have gotten on the toothpick).

So, if your SAK scales are like new, you can always pick up a used SAK in great shape with scales that are in less than great shape (and a candidate for your printed scales). If you are unsure about the process of changing scales, there are YouTube videos that can help. If you don't have vice, then check your garage or pick up one of these (I use one to press on scales and it has worked great):

Quick-Grip Clamp by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:28:50 PM

Victorinox scales are not meant to be popped off and on repeatedly. They are held in place with a compression fit after being pressed on with a factory vice. That said, people do pop them on and off but they don't always fit reliably. One of my Compacts was purchased used but in excellent condition. The tools all looked great--all except for the toothpick, which wouldn't move (a previous owner had epoxied the scales and some must have gotten on the toothpick).

So, if your SAK scales are like new, you can always pick up a used SAK in great shape with scales that are in less than great shape (and a candidate for your printed scales). If you are unsure about the process of changing scales, there are YouTube videos that can help. If you don't have vice, then check your garage or pick up one of these (I use one to press on scales and it has worked great):

Quick-Grip Clamp by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

Thanks, agreed, I’ll wait to install them until I get a ‘beat up’ SAK with damaged scales.

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:47:24 PM
Yeah given the way 3d printers work it's never high on the quality or durability of the plastics. It's why fidget spinner sellers specifically make a big deal of saying their spinners are not 3d printed. It's fun for art and screwing around but not much else. I have one I print dildos with sometimes. :drool:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:21 AM
Yeah given the way 3d printers work it's never high on the quality or durability of the plastics. It's why fidget spinner sellers specifically make a big deal of saying their spinners are not 3d printed. It's fun for art and screwing around but not much else. I have one I print dildos with sometimes. :drool:
???   :sa:

:rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:09:07 AM
If all fits well and it holds up to reasonable use then I think they're great. I could use a set of those :tu:
SAW

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:31:25 AM
I'd say the technology of 3D printing is advancing quite rapidly. The carbon fiber filament 91mm scales I have is on par with the stock cellidor in terms of fit.

It's not as smooth and I don't think anyone will want to use this for other non-intended purpose

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:49:25 AM
I'd say the technology of 3D printing is advancing quite rapidly. The carbon fiber filament 91mm scales I have is on par with the stock cellidor in terms of fit.

It's not as smooth and I don't think anyone will want to use this for other non-intended purpose

(Image removed from quote.)

Meh everyone says that about things their invested in.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 04:50:18 AM

Meh everyone says that about things their invested in.
Doesn't mean it's wrong

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:32 PM

I don't know much about 3D printing, but it's surprising that 2 little SAK scales use 10oz of material.  Where does the rest go?

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 02:09:17 PM

I don't know much about 3D printing, but it's surprising that 2 little SAK scales use 10oz of material.  Where does the rest go?
They are build like a spiderweb, this is why it takes 40 minutes for it to build layers of thin plastic. If you ever have seen the plastic they use to refil a weedwacker it kinda looks like that.  The plastic is very strong however because its thing layers of the material. My friend said it makes more sense to make these out of injected molded plastic.  The 3rd printed stuff is can also be brittle if you try to break it in half.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:57:57 PM by Zhenchok »

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:18 PM
Update,  I had a SAK that had a lot of flex in the scales and decided to experiment with it.  Below are my results. I would also be happy to take any more pictures of the installed scales if you want. 

Overall I am actually happy with the outcome.  Couple thoughts, they fit well, only one side needed a vise, I do like the the textured feel to them as they give it a nice grip.  I would say they are at least 95 percent as good as the factory scales, I would want to put epoxy in the center T&T on one of the sides if I wanted it to be perfectly flush.  Honestly, I am happy with the outcome and would say that the 3d printed scales are a nice alternative for scales.   Only thing I forgot to mention is that the toothpic and tweezer are a bit harder to get out.

I also talked to another coworker who apparently also has a 3d  Printer he looked at my knife and said that he can make a better version but it would take longer and would use more material.  I guess the ones I have are the quickest way to print, 40 minutes is not quick for me.  He said if he set the machine to 2 hours it would make the scales more solid.  He showed me a plastic toy he made and it did have a more solid plastic look to it, similar to the plastic we see everywhere. 

These guys are work buddies so getting them to print more than a pair or two would require a "favor" or paying them, no one really shares my excitement for SAKS.  I would consider buying a few from them and trading a few for a SAK if anyone is interested.

u

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:14:02 PM by Zhenchok »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:59 PM
Looking good!   :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 04:15:35 PM
That
is
so
bad ass
looking!

:like:

How's the fit? Did you use any glue? How do you like it?

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 05:05:56 PM
That
is
so
bad ass
looking!

Thanks, I like it a lot, no glue required and for the most part it is very flush, it just snapped in and applied the vice to be on the safe side.  Thanks for the idea,  I happen to hear a coworker talking about his 3d printing capabillities and decided to take him for his word :)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 05:17:17 PM
That
is
so
bad ass
looking!

Thanks, I like it a lot, no glue required and for the most part it is very flush, it just snapped in and applied the vice to be on the safe side.  Thanks for the idea,  I happen to hear a coworker talking about his 3d printing capabillities and decided to take him for his word :)

youre welcome! It seems your coworker has proven himself up to the task! How are the toothpick and tweezer? do they slide in and out smoothly?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:35:23 PM by an0nemus »

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 05:28:11 PM
That
is
so
bad ass
looking!

youre welcome! It seems you're coworker has proven himself up to the task! How are the toothpick and tweezer? do they slide in and out smoothly?

They do, but hard to grab them. 

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:06 PM
We have a pool table at work and here is what he made for it, but he said it took over 4 hours at the better quality setting on the printer.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 05:36:49 PM
That
is
so
bad ass
looking!

youre welcome! It seems your coworker has proven himself up to the task! How are the toothpick and tweezer? do they slide in and out smoothly?

They do, but hard to grab them. 

same as mine  :(

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 05:48:50 PM
Update,  I had a SAK that had a lot of flex in the scales and decided to experiment with it.  Below are my results. I would also be happy to take any more pictures of the installed scales if you want. 

Overall I am actually happy with the outcome.  Couple thoughts, they fit well, only one side needed a vise, I do like the the textured feel to them as they give it a nice grip.  I would say they are at least 95 percent as good as the factory scales, I would want to put epoxy in the center T&T on one of the sides if I wanted it to be perfectly flush.  Honestly, I am happy with the outcome and would say that the 3d printed scales are a nice alternative for scales.   Only thing I forgot to mention is that the toothpic and tweezer are a bit harder to get out.

I also talked to another coworker who apparently also has a 3d  Printer he looked at my knife and said that he can make a better version but it would take longer and would use more material.  I guess the ones I have are the quickest way to print, 40 minutes is not quick for me.  He said if he set the machine to 2 hours it would make the scales more solid.  He showed me a plastic toy he made and it did have a more solid plastic look to it, similar to the plastic we see everywhere. 

These guys are work buddies so getting them to print more than a pair or two would require a "favor" or paying them, no one really shares my excitement for SAKS.  I would consider buying a few from them and trading a few for a SAK if anyone is interested.

(Image removed from quote.)u

Looks great! I am glad you decided to go for it. Popping and installing scales for the first time can be a big deal but quickly becomes routine.

Just as a point of reference, Vic scales do need a vice and if they snap right on, it is a sign that they are too loose. Vic scales shouldn't snap right on unless they have been re-used. My early installations were not completely flush at first, a sign that I needed to use my clamp to continue to press on all installation points until the scale was flush. Now, all my scale installations are flush.

:tu:

Jim
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:50:49 PM by NorCalJim »

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 05:52:56 PM

(Image removed from quote.)u

Looks great! I am glad you decided to go for it. Popping and installing scales for the first time can be a big deal but quickly becomes routine.

Just as a point of reference, Vic scales do need a vice and if they snap right on, it is a sign that they are too loose. Vic scales shouldn't snap right on unless they have been re-used. My early installations were not completely flush at first, a sign that I needed to use my clamp to continue to press on all installation points until the scale was flush. Now, all my scale installations are flush.

:tu:

Jim

Thanks, I have changed a few but didnt want to "break" or damage any good ones installed.  Luckily I had a SAK that had scales that I was able to remove with my fingers alone :)  I didn't know they all need vice thanks for that. What do you do to make sure they are flush?  do you apply epoxy?

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 03:35:52 PM
Update to my original post. 

I asked another coworker if he can make me a set.  Below is the outcome,  I think that this second set is much nicer,  but I think it took a lot longer to make.  Now I really need a SAK to try these on, unfortunately I don’t have a spare with damaged scales.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:48:27 PM by Zhenchok »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 04:08:36 PM
Yup they look better than the first. In my group, we ordered another batch of scales. Unfortunately they did look as soo as the first batch

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 05:18:09 PM
Yea they are a nice alternative but in honesty I prefer the original scales.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%