Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can Silver Tech scales be modified to be just clear (unscratched) plastic?

um Offline mzil

When I first saw images of Silver Tech scales it seemed to be "clear plastic", but after looking a little more closely it seems to be more of a "clear plastic with a silver paint backing", hence they aren't really see-through to the inner workings of the knife as I had originally thought.

I've seen some mods where people scrape away parts of the silver paint (or is it actually plastic?) and then apply other colors to the grooves, for a cool looking knife, however what I'm interested in is a truly see through clear design, sort of like the red, green, and blue translucent scales they make. Can this silver paint be removed cleanly and without scratching the plastic's surface, say with some sort of painter remover?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I think it's possible. See this thread: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70071.msg1409145.html#msg1409145 - there's some information about how to do it. They look pretty cool.

Good luck!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Very interesting experiment, as Cellidor really doesn't like most solvents. (Except water. :) )

um Offline mzil

Magentus, awesome. Thanks for the link!  :salute:
Looks like a very long soak, with daily changes of vinegar and salt will do it. I'm impatient though so if anyone knows of a faster method, please speak up. [I don't own a Silver Tech one yet but now I'm interested.]

My preliminary testing shows glow in the dark tape works under the translucent green and yellow ["citrine"? ???] scales, making the 58mm ones into keychain glowfobs. [I'll make a video on it eventually] Clear should work even better plus has other perks.

I've put the glow tape on a toothpick and it shines through nicely! I also have a "Stay Glow" Classic, but the creamy yellow color just doesn't do it for me, even though it does shine brighter at night..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%