Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your least favorite SAK tools and why?

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What are your least favorite SAK tools and why?
Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 05:50:12 PM
I will challenge anyone to a can and bottle opening match with the combo tool versus the regular openers.  I'm confident it does both better and faster. :duel:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 05:54:54 PM
I will challenge anyone to a can and bottle opening match with the combo tool versus the regular openers.  I'm confident it does both better and faster. :duel:

Really?, I thought that the regular opener would do a much better job than the combo.  I think because the regular tool is sharp vs. the combo. Actually thought that the combo on my waiter was more of a gimic, I havent used it yet.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 05:55:47 PM
I’ll be honest I do not like having a nail file on any Sak or Wagner.  It does work well and I do find it useful from time to time, but I feel like I’m carrying a gimmick tool when my tool has it and wish it was a small knife instead.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. If a SAK has a large and small blade, my instantaneous thought is "too bad they didn't replace the small blade with a nail file." I find I'm drawn to more utility per layer.

Oh, there's no way I'm giving up my hook. .....or corkscrew.

I just dont really see myself filing my nails :) I tried it myself and felt that using clippers is more efficient.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 06:15:13 PM
I’ll be honest I do not like having a nail file on any Sak or Wagner.  It does work well and I do find it useful from time to time, but I feel like I’m carrying a gimmick tool when my tool has it and wish it was a small knife instead.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. If a SAK has a large and small blade, my instantaneous thought is "too bad they didn't replace the small blade with a nail file." I find I'm drawn to more utility per layer.

Oh, there's no way I'm giving up my hook. .....or corkscrew.

I just dont really see myself filing my nails :) I tried it myself and felt that using clippers is more efficient.

I file my nails sometimes but don't like a nail file on a medium knife,I've awlways got a 58mm on the key chain so if I need a file, it's there. 
On a side note, the only thing that bothers me about the combo tool is it's not as sturdy as the cap lifter and more caution must be exercised when using it as a prying tool.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 07:03:48 PM
Ok ok, I'll go back on topic.  :P
I would nominate the Backside Phillips in stock SAKs.

Why the backside phillips? Because in its current position, a T-handle screwdriver, it implies that it can handle lots of torque, when really, because of a combination of a very small tang, thin aluminium liner sandwich, and 2.2mm brass pinstock holding it in place, it will irreparably twist out of its slot with relatively little torque(that the inline philips and maybe the can opener would be able to handle), damaging your SAK badly.   :ahhh

Now, if you were to use Ti liners, and 1/8" steel barrel pivots to hold it in place, like Syph does with his 91mm Ti mods, THEN its not so bad, because like that, it can walk as good as it talks.  :tu:
Has anyone ever done a test comparing the strength of the backside phillips and the can opener tip.  I've never damaged either as I stop before I do any damage.  The phillips is easy to know how far you can push it because you can start feeling the knife flex.  It seems to me that you can put more torque on the backside phillips, but I don't know at what point exactly the can opener tip will bend.  I've noticed that the 111 backside phillips handles much more torque- at least on the 2-3 layer liner lock models, that may not be the case with the slide locks or 4+ layer knives.
Either way it is much easier to repair an over-torqued can opener tip.  I've fixed that on a 2nd hand knife before.
Possibly the backside Phillips on the liner lock models is a wee bit stronger, due to one of the liners being made of stainless steel. But you still need to consider the aluminium liner on the other side.
Side lock models? Definitely as weak as the 91/84mm models.

I know Mr.Whippy took the 91mm bottle opener to 20 Nm before the tip broke off, but I don't know about the can opener or backside phillips. :think:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:05:35 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:41 PM

I have found that different cans work better with different openers.

I’ll be honest I do not like having a nail file on any Sak or Wagner.  It does work well and I do find it useful from time to time, but I feel like I’m carrying a gimmick tool when my tool has it and wish it was a small knife instead. I do like having one on the classic because it’s mostly a dedicated nail clipper for me.  As a guy I rarely need to file my nails and the knife turns me off when I see the nail file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind having a second blade if it is distictly different, for example if the main blade is serrated, or the second blade is a pruner. If they are both spear point blades, then I would rather have a different tool with different function. I don't use a nail file often, but it's a heck of a lot better than repeating something that's already there

Ok ok, I'll go back on topic.  :P
I would nominate the Backside Phillips in stock SAKs.

Why the backside phillips? Because in its current position, a T-handle screwdriver, it implies that it can handle lots of torque, when really, because of a combination of a very small tang, thin aluminium liner sandwich, and 2.2mm brass pinstock holding it in place, it will irreparably twist out of its slot with relatively little torque(that the inline philips and maybe the can opener would be able to handle), damaging your SAK badly.   :ahhh

Now, if you were to use Ti liners, and 1/8" steel barrel pivots to hold it in place, like Syph does with his 91mm Ti mods, THEN its not so bad, because like that, it can walk as good as it talks.  :tu:
Has anyone ever done a test comparing the strength of the backside phillips and the can opener tip.  I've never damaged either as I stop before I do any damage.  The phillips is easy to know how far you can push it because you can start feeling the knife flex.  It seems to me that you can put more torque on the backside phillips, but I don't know at what point exactly the can opener tip will bend.  I've noticed that the 111 backside phillips handles much more torque- at least on the 2-3 layer liner lock models, that may not be the case with the slide locks or 4+ layer knives.
Either way it is much easier to repair an over-torqued can opener tip.  I've fixed that on a 2nd hand knife before.
Possibly the backside Phillips on the liner lock models is a wee bit stronger, due to one of the liners being made of stainless steel. But you still need to consider the aluminium liner on the other side.
Side lock models? Definitely as weak as the 91/84mm models.

I know Mr.Whippy took the 91mm bottle opener to 20 Nm before the tip broke off, but I don't know about the can opener or backside phillips. :think:

The issue is not so much the pin or liner, but the size of the tang.

Pressure = Force / Area     Force = Torque / Radius

The same torque on the inline Phillips will do less harm, as the pressure is lessened due to being spread over a greater supporting area, and greater radius from the axis of rotation
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:18:56 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Frailer

Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 07:51:51 PM

Really?, I thought that the regular opener would do a much better job than the combo.  I think because the regular tool is sharp vs. the combo. Actually thought that the combo on my waiter was more of a gimic, I havent used it yet.

As was mentioned previously, it depends on the can (e.g. cans made of heavier gauge metal are pierced more easily with the standard can opener tool), but for most cans the combo tool will often do a quicker—if a bit sloppier—job. Because of the way it works, the combo tool cuts a longer distance with each stroke.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 08:01:05 PM

As was mentioned previously, it depends on the can (e.g. cans made of heavier gauge metal are pierced more easily with the standard can opener tool), but for most cans the combo tool will often do a quicker—if a bit sloppier—job. Because of the way it works, the combo tool cuts a longer distance with each stroke.

interesting, havent used either much to compare

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 08:14:45 PM

I have had instances where both have struggled, and switching to the other made life easier.
Both will get the job done, but some cans seem to favour one type or the other.

interesting, havent used either much to compare

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:00 PM

Corkscrew.
I know you're NorCal Jim so being in wine country, you probably think that's absurd. I don't drink wine. Literally, not even once a year. Outside of removing the cork, I see very limited use for it. It has a very specific, unique shape and (partially due to that), it bends very easily.

So for me, I have very little use for a corkscrew--on a SAK or anywhere else for that matter.

Yeti, I get why you don't like the CS...if you don't drink wine or buy liquid products stopped with a cork, you have no need for the CS. Based on all the SAK history since WW2, it's why Vx started offering the backside phillips in North America...most people in North America didn't drink wine back then, and probably most still don't.

I drink wine and have used the CS dozens of times since my first Champion to open a bottle. The CS on my SAKs have saved the day more than any other single tool excepting the large blade and the scissors over the years. 

We all have different tastes and make personal choices. :cheers:  That's why the variety of choices regarding SAK tool selection is so interesting...I do like learning how others here view their choices.  :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:40 PM
I am a firm believer that creativity and Swiss Army Knives go hand in hand as was frequently demonstrated by MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson) so I am not the most sympathetic audience when someone complains about the multi-purpose hook. :)  On the other hand, some tools are so far down on my likelihood of using them, it is just a shame that they are not used for a more functional tool. The pharmaceutical spoon on my Minichamp is taking up space better used by a more useful tool. I feel the same way about the fish scaler.  Give me an inline awl in both cases and I would be happy.

What about you?

Jim
Corkscrew.
I know you're NorCal Jim so being in wine country, you probably think that's absurd. I don't drink wine. Literally, not even once a year. Outside of removing the cork, I see very limited use for it. It has a very specific, unique shape and (partially due to that), it bends very easily.

So for me, I have very little use for a corkscrew--on a SAK or anywhere else for that matter.

I have never used the corkscrew to remove a cork, but I have used the corkscrew a number of times to loosen tight knots in rope, shoestrings, or paracord.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:56 PM
The HOOK!!! Please do away with this most useless appendage as soon as possible. I see it as a waste of time, space, and resources. I've not yet been shown any use for it that cannot be duplicated with another tool on my SAK, or with common sense. Some of the uses I have seen have been so invented as to be ridiculous, with the user going out of their way or dropping all common sense just to be able to say they used the hook for X.

Twist off bottle caps and pull tab cans are often not available in all parts of the world. Many developing countries do not have them at all, or in very small quantity. Even here in the US, many cans and bottles are not twist/tab. Plus, In the event of catastrophe, you may find yourself somewhere where regular bottles and cans have been stored for some time, and may not be as new as that. So I still want those on my SAK.

Scissors...I have more SAKS with scissors than saws (BSA Tinker, a Super Tinker from the 80's, and  Tinker Deluxe from 5 years ago) even though I am a firm believer that I would far more likely need the saw when outdoors roughing it. Then again, a lot of my LM' s have saws, and I always try to carry both a SAK and  LM. And before I carried an LM, I would camp with a small folding saw. So even though I don't have many, I still really like the saw.

Corkscrew. I use a Philips head more than a corkscrew, but I also like the idea of having a corkscrew on a SAK. Wish they made a 3 or 4 layer with both scales cut out...one side a Philips, the other a corkscrew. The awl could be center (replacing that Gawd awful hook) or inline. The corkscrew can be used to open wine for the lady while semi-roughing it, or in celebration at the top of a peak. Plus it can do near anything the hook can do.keep the corkscrew.

Fish scaler. Although I have no SAK fish scalers I do like them. Seems very useful when roughing it.

Yeah, I would say that my least favorite tool I have encountered on a SAK is the hook. I have only one SAK with the hook, and that was a gift to me. My friend who gave it to me was equally baffled by it, as it seemed so unnecessary. When making SAK purchases these days, if I want one with scissors, I actively seek out older models with no hook. I would rather have on older model with the crossbow stamped tang anyway.

Down with the hook!

I have found the hook to be useful.

I work part time at a restaurant and put away truck deliveries early in the morning. One day the delivery driver knocked on the back door to be let in and I asked him if he lost his key. He said he had just dropped the key ring down a steel grate by the curb outside. I could see the key ring about 3 feet below the grate.
   I told him I could get the keys.  I opened the hook on my Super Tinker and made a loop in some paracord and cinched the cord around the Super Tinker and lowered it through the grate. It took about 2 minutes for me to finally get the hook to catch the keyring and pull it up out of the hole.
   The driver really appreciated it because he was dreading telling his supervisor he had dropped the keys down a grate.

I have also used it to pull out the hot shelf of an oven partially to remove food.

I have used it to open a drawer that both knobs had come off of . It had a decorative key hole in the center of the drawer, so I just inserted the hook and opened the drawer.

I don't use it a lot, but it does come in handy if you think outside the box when you run into a problem.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 10:56:11 PM
The HOOK!!! Please do away with this most useless appendage as soon as possible. I see it as a waste of time, space, and resources. I've not yet been shown any use for it that cannot be duplicated with another tool on my SAK, or with common sense. Some of the uses I have seen have been so invented as to be ridiculous, with the user going out of their way or dropping all common sense just to be able to say they used the hook for X.

Twist off bottle caps and pull tab cans are often not available in all parts of the world. Many developing countries do not have them at all, or in very small quantity. Even here in the US, many cans and bottles are not twist/tab. Plus, In the event of catastrophe, you may find yourself somewhere where regular bottles and cans have been stored for some time, and may not be as new as that. So I still want those on my SAK.

Scissors...I have more SAKS with scissors than saws (BSA Tinker, a Super Tinker from the 80's, and  Tinker Deluxe from 5 years ago) even though I am a firm believer that I would far more likely need the saw when outdoors roughing it. Then again, a lot of my LM' s have saws, and I always try to carry both a SAK and  LM. And before I carried an LM, I would camp with a small folding saw. So even though I don't have many, I still really like the saw.

Corkscrew. I use a Philips head more than a corkscrew, but I also like the idea of having a corkscrew on a SAK. Wish they made a 3 or 4 layer with both scales cut out...one side a Philips, the other a corkscrew. The awl could be center (replacing that Gawd awful hook) or inline. The corkscrew can be used to open wine for the lady while semi-roughing it, or in celebration at the top of a peak. Plus it can do near anything the hook can do.keep the corkscrew.

Fish scaler. Although I have no SAK fish scalers I do like them. Seems very useful when roughing it.

Yeah, I would say that my least favorite tool I have encountered on a SAK is the hook. I have only one SAK with the hook, and that was a gift to me. My friend who gave it to me was equally baffled by it, as it seemed so unnecessary. When making SAK purchases these days, if I want one with scissors, I actively seek out older models with no hook. I would rather have on older model with the crossbow stamped tang anyway.

Down with the hook!

I work part time at a restaurant and put away truck deliveries early in the morning. One day the delivery driver knocked on the back door to be let in and I asked him if he lost his key. He said he had just dropped the key ring down a steel grate by the curb outside. I could see the key ring about 3 feet below the grate.
   I told him I could get the keys.  I opened the hook on my Super Tinker and made a loop in some paracord and cinched the cord around the Super Tinker and lowered it through the grate. It took about 2 minutes for me to finally get the hook to catch the keyring and pull it up out of the hole.
   The driver really appreciated it because he was dreading telling his supervisor he had dropped the keys down a grate.

I have also used it to pull out the hot shelf of an oven partially to remove food.

I have used it to open a drawer that both knobs had come off of . It had a decorative key hole in the center of the drawer, so I just inserted the hook and opened the drawer.

I don't use it a lot, but it does come in handy if you think outside the box when you run into a problem.

+1

us Offline Grateful

Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 11:46:50 PM
 One tool I have never used is the metal file / saw. Does it actually work? It seems like a gimmick tool but I've never had a chance to test it.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 11:52:42 PM
I find it works very well. I have used it many times when modding SAK's to file down pin stock etc. It's a pretty good hack saw too. Give it a try.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 05:14:52 AM
I definitely do not have a least favourite SAK tool  :D   :o
I am of the view  - If you have it you will use it !! .... So don't discredit it!!   :twak:

I know the hook, scaler, pliers, corkscrew, even back-spring Phillips - Always get a lot of flack from some folks
But I can honestly say I have used all of those tools for multiple purposes - If I have had them with me.
To me this is the whole point of a SAK - You come across a little tool requirement or challenge in your day-to day life - and you pick out a tool on the SAK you have with you at the time to fix it there and then  :D

What determines what I carry is layers not tools
- I definitely prefer fewer layers these days - Especially during the week
- So usually a three/four layer would be what I carry - eg a Climber (- may give you a clue on favourite tool ;) ) - and of course this misses out on lots of tools :(
I do carry the SwissChamp sometimes at the weekend - and always feel happy and well prepared when I do :tu:

PS.@  Grateful - Mags is right - The file is great as a file and a metal saw - I use it quite a lot as I don't have a set of fine files in my garage!!

us Offline Grateful

Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 12:42:27 PM
I guess I'll have to look around for a little metal project this weekend. Give one of my saks with the metal file a chance to shine.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 12:46:05 PM
Combo tool.   >:( Don't make me explain it again.  :gtfo:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
I will post my 2 cents. I don't have a least favorite specific "tool", but I am not fond of many(not all, just many) SAK implements on tools under the 91mm & 100mm classes. They just start getting too small and less robust at the <91mm level. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people go bonkers for the smaller SAKs, but it is just not me. :)
Now, I'll run for the hills, before everyone carrying a classic starts trying to run me down! :pommel:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 03:22:06 PM
I'm also in the 'combo' tool camp. Using an entire layer for two tools, one of which is practically an anachronism in an era of pull ring cans and the other far too big for its purpose - when you can do both jobs better with a single tool already being manufactured -  seems to me wasteful. Ditto just replacing the can opener with something and leaving the bottle opener. Why not just put the combo tool in there adding utility and still freeing up the space opposite for something else?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:27:22 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 03:39:57 PM
I'm also in the 'combo' tool camp. Using an entire layer for two tools, one of which is practically an anachronism in an era of pull ring cans and the other far too big for its purpose - when you can do both jobs better with a single tool already being manufactured -  seems to me wasteful. Ditto just replacing the can opener with something and leaving the bottle opener. Why not just put the combo tool in there adding utility and still freeing up the space opposite for something else?
Because we like our pry tools, and the combo tool is too weak for that job.  ;)
I understand where you are coming from though. The combo tool is prefectly adequate for those who do not need the bottle or can opener for prying, pulling Staples, etc.

And that's an interesting idea. Replacing the can opener with a thicker version of the combo tool, and putting something else(sheepsfoot blade?) in place of the bottle opener.
A pity that the current combo tool is too thin....
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 03:53:44 PM
Because we like our pry tools, and the combo tool is too weak for that job.  ;)
I understand where you are coming from though. The combo tool is prefectly adequate for those who do not need the bottle or can opener for prying, pulling Staples, etc.

And that's an interesting idea. Replacing the can opener with a thicker version of the combo tool, and putting something else(sheepsfoot blade?) in place of the bottle opener.
A pity that the current combo tool is too thin....
+1 - I still really like the opener layer - so useful for so many different things, and there are enough cans in my kitchen without the ring pull to warrant one, as well as prying, screwdriver duties, prodding, etc
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:57 PM

Down with the hook!

Hi Vic,

Hope all's well. Just trying to prove my point in a friendly way, no malice intended, but:

Keys retrieval? = paracord tied to keyring of Tinker. That's more secure than cinching cord around the body of the tool anyway. Open can opener to 45 degrees. Done. And if you are really good, one you've hooked the keys, bump the bottom end of the Tinker on the ground and let it lean a little, all in a quick motion, and it will cause the can opener to close (as much as it can with the ring in its craw) and you will have the keys more securely than the hook would.

Drawer with no knobs? = open drawer below it, reach in and up, and pull. Or use the corkscrew. Or the Phillips in the keyhole.but gently. Or any thin blade carefully wedged between the drawer and face.

Hot oven shelf? = here's a common sense one...i figure, if youth are in a kitchen, you can use the oven mitt. Or towel. Or apron. Or, again, the can opener.

Alright? Who's next?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:08:59 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 06:05:19 PM
One tool I have never used is the metal file / saw. Does it actually work? It seems like a gimmick tool but I've never had a chance to test it.

Hi Grateful

I actually have a pre-1985 Victorinox Mountaineer. I have tested the metal saw on a Coke or Pepsi can and it works for that. So there's an emergency stove it can help you make.

I have not tried it on thicker gauge or stronger metal yet, but there is that, at least.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 13, 2017, 09:07:24 PM

Down with the hook!

Hi Vic,

Hope all's well. Just trying to prove my point in a friendly way, no malice intended, but:

Keys retrieval? = paracord tied to keyring of Tinker. That's more secure than cinching cord around the body of the tool anyway. Open can opener to 45 degrees. Done. And if you are really good, one you've hooked the keys, bump the bottom end of the Tinker on the ground and let it lean a little, all in a quick motion, and it will cause the can opener to close (as much as it can with the ring in its craw) and you will have the keys more securely than the hook would.

Drawer with no knobs? = open drawer below it, reach in and up, and pull. Or use the corkscrew. Or the Phillips in the keyhole.but gently. Or any thin blade carefully wedged between the drawer and face.

Hot oven shelf? = here's a common sense one...i figure, if youth are in a kitchen, you can use the oven mitt. Or towel. Or apron. Or, again, the can opener.

Alright? Who's next?

Thank for your reply and no offense was taken on my part.

The paracord was cynched around the body in a way it could not possibly come loose.

Also in order to hook the keys with the can opener you would have to drag the knife handle on the concrete in order to hook the ring and you would scar up the handle.  With the hook the handle was totally clear from the concrete.

The drawer has a board between it and the drawer below, so it is impossible to reach it from below,
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:22:15 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: October 13, 2017, 09:17:30 PM
I definitely do not have a least favourite SAK tool  :D   :o
I am of the view  - If you have it you will use it !! .... So don't discredit it!!   :twak:

I know the hook, scaler, pliers, corkscrew, even back-spring Phillips - Always get a lot of flack from some folks
But I can honestly say I have used all of those tools for multiple purposes - If I have had them with me.
To me this is the whole point of a SAK - You come across a little tool requirement or challenge in your day-to day life - and you pick out a tool on the SAK you have with you at the time to fix it there and then  :D

What determines what I carry is layers not tools
- I definitely prefer fewer layers these days - Especially during the week
- So usually a three/four layer would be what I carry - eg a Climber (- may give you a clue on favourite tool ;) ) - and of course this misses out on lots of tools :(
I do carry the SwissChamp sometimes at the weekend - and always feel happy and well prepared when I do :tu:

PS.@  Grateful - Mags is right - The file is great as a file and a metal saw - I use it quite a lot as I don't have a set of fine files in my garage!!

I totally agree with "I am of the view  - If you have it you will use it !! .... So don't discredit it!! "

The variety of tools on a SAK are created to make it possible to improvise in a given situation to accomplish what needs to be done. :like:  :tu: :tu:

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #56 on: October 14, 2017, 04:08:58 AM
The coke-spoon, by far.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #57 on: October 14, 2017, 11:54:22 AM
Combo tool.   >:( Don't make me explain it again.  :gtfo:

+1  :tu:

So let me get this straight, I can replace the entire opener layer and the small blade with one tool?  :rofl:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 02:34:20 PM
I have never used the corkscrew to remove a cork, but I have used the corkscrew a number of times to loosen tight knots in rope, shoestrings, or paracord.
I've heard is this being done a lot. I've only tried it once and was underwhelmed. Perhaps the knot wasn't enough of a challenge. I generally use the pliers for loosening really tight knots. I find the pliers give me pin point control over individual strands that the corkscrew requires more finesse to do.

I may have to play with the corkscrew a little more.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 02:56:10 PM

Corkscrew...it can do near anything the hook can do. keep the corkscrew.

Down with the hook!
Interesting view on it. I have a couple of questions though.
1) "common sense" can be a rather vague term so if you could clarify what you mean by common sense being what's lacking when people use the hook. Meaning that they could have functioned equally without the hook if they'd employed common sense.

2) How much have you actually used the corkscrew?

I have found some places where the corkscrew would be difficult to use because in order to get it to strongly hook an item, you have to twist the handle and there may not be room due to narrow clearance. I'm this photo, the manual release cable is already pulled clear of the recess so there is obviously plenty of room; however, when the cable was within the recess, it required reaching down vertically with the headrest next to the knife handle. Not impossible, perhaps, but slower and more difficult.

I've found the corkscrew bends very easily under reasonably light torque, IMO, and isn't suited to most tasks...like pulling recessed items that are tight in their location.

The corkscrew is too thin and bends too easily for much use beyond pulling corks and holding the mini screwdriver.

At least that's been my experience.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24