Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your least favorite SAK tools and why?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What are your least favorite SAK tools and why?
Reply #60 on: October 14, 2017, 04:38:53 PM
Don't tell my Swisschamp I said this, hook and fishscaler.  I think its more about where on the SAK I'd prefer the tool rather than the tool itself.  I'd prefer my phillips inline vs backside.  I'd prefer my awl inline vs backside.  I'd also prefer the chisel inline vs backside.  These days I don't carry my SC as much for EDC as my Tinker is my preferred SAK.  The Explore for me should be my favorite SAK but like 50ft I can do without the dual blades.  I'd much prefer something else in that space.  Ok I'm veering off topic.  Hook and fishscaler with the option to recant or revise at a later time  :whistle: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 14, 2017, 05:07:11 PM
The HOOK!!! Please do away with this most useless appendage as soon as possible. I see it as a waste of time, space, and resources. I've not yet been shown any use for it that cannot be duplicated with another tool on my SAK, or with common sense. Some of the uses I have seen have been so invented as to be ridiculous, with the user going out of their way or dropping all common sense just to be able to say they used the hook for X.

Corkscrew...it can do near anything the hook can do. keep the corkscrew.

Down with the hook!
Interesting view on it. I have a couple of questions though.
1) "common sense" can be a rather vague term so if you could clarify what you mean by common sense being what's lacking when people use the hook. Meaning that they could have functioned equally without the hook if they'd employed common sense.

2) How much have you actually used the corkscrew?

I have found some places where the corkscrew would be difficult to use because in order to get it to strongly hook an item, you have to twist the handle and there may not be room due to narrow clearance. I'm this photo, the manual release cable is already pulled clear of the recess so there is obviously plenty of room; however, when the cable was within the recess, it required reaching down vertically with the headrest next to the knife handle. Not impossible, perhaps, but slower and more difficult.
(Image removed from quote.)

I've found the corkscrew bends very easily under reasonably light torque, IMO, and isn't suited to most tasks...like pulling recessed items that are tight in their location.
 The corkscrew is too thin and bends too easily for much use beyond pulling corks and holding the mini screwdriver.

At least that's been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great points. 2 different tools for A number of unique tasks.
Also, a good point that the hook is Super Sturdy.

Just the other day I was  removing lanyards from zippers on one of my jackets.  The cord was pretty thin, and on there SUPER tight, My fingernails didn't have a chance and I was really trying to think of any other tool that would have done a good job as el corkscrew in getting those things loose...
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #62 on: October 14, 2017, 07:45:04 PM
Interesting thing about the SwissChamp, no back Phillips, and no dreaded combo tool or crummy file where the small blade should be. That's why the SwissChamp is The Champ.  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #63 on: October 14, 2017, 07:46:39 PM
Interesting thing about the SwissChamp, no back Phillips, and no dreaded combo tool or crummy file where the small blade should be. That's why the SwissChamp is The Champ.  :D
+1 - Spoken like a Bro, bro.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #64 on: October 15, 2017, 01:25:16 AM
I do love that knife!
I pocket carry mine and I don't feel any bulky discomfort when doing it. I don't wear snug pants or dress slacks usually so maybe that's why. SC is a really great SAK IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #65 on: October 15, 2017, 03:02:26 AM
I definitely do not have a least favourite SAK tool  :D   :o
I am of the view  - If you have it you will use it !! .... So don't discredit it!!   :twak:

A few developments in this thread made me realise that I lied  :o

I do have three least  favourite tools:
Two due to redundancy (IMHO of course ;) )
- The small blade - I already have one - so way prefer the Wenger file in this position
- The back spring flat SD -  I already have one on the CO, yes the back one has slightly better reach, but only if the screw is not recesed by more than 4cm!!

One due to  -  ???  :think:
- The chisel - It's a beautiful sharp little tool - But I am pretty sure I have never used it and, due to its position, I can't imagine ever using it - even for non intended purposes  :(

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #66 on: October 15, 2017, 04:53:29 AM
I definitely do not have a least favourite SAK tool  :D   :o
I am of the view  - If you have it you will use it !! .... So don't discredit it!!   :twak:

A few developments in this thread made me realise that I lied  :o

I do have three least  favourite tools:
Two due to redundancy (IMHO of course ;) )
- The small blade - I already have one - so way prefer the Wenger file in this position
- The back spring flat SD -  I already have one on the CO, yes the back one has slightly better reach, but only if the screw is not recesed by more than 4cm!!

One due to  -  ???  :think:
- The chisel - It's a beautiful sharp little tool - But I am pretty sure I have never used it and, due to its position, I can't imagine ever using it - even for non intended purposes  :(

This thread is great...  I prefer the small blade b/c I'll always have  file on the keychain and the small blades is better for finer tasks...  I've never used the back layer chisel either but I've ready many members singing its praises.... and as for the fine screwdriver on the back, I guess it's a something is better than nothing situation...   
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%