Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help finding a new work tool...

clown · 52 · 1982

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Need help finding a new work tool...
on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:44 AM
So for several years now I've been carrying a Leatherman ST300 as my work EDC.  I really can't say anything bad about it.  One of my favorite things about this tool is the ability, once it's broken in, to "butterfly" it open as I am often holding something with one hand and need to access the pliers without letting go.  It's got all the tools that I would need on an MT.  The tools I use all day everyday are the pliers, wire cutters, phillips and flat heads.  The file gets used several times a week as well and the saw, while rarely used, has saved my butt a couple of times.  All of these tools have been pushed to what I would expect to be their limits, and then a little bit further, on many occasions and they have yet to fail me.  The ST300 has surpassed my expectations for what a multitool can do and has earned my respect as the King of the MTs. 

That being said,  I kinda just want to try something new  :D. I have amassed a fairly respectable collection of MTs.  Nothing like some of you here but I've got all the major players in my stable.  I have tried but none of them can seem to take the place of my ST300. 

What I want is a beefy MT with tough needlenose pliers, a dedicated #2 Phillips driver longer than 1", dedicated medium and large flatheads able to withstand a respectable amount of prying, a file that works, one hand opening plain and serrated blades.  Bonus points for being able to access pliers one handed. 

Any ideas?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: Need help finding a new work tool...
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:04:24 AM
Except for the dedicated Philips head, everything else you describe is found on the newer Leatherman Surge. And that at least has a Philips head bit/ driver.

I too prefer dedicated drivers instead of bits, however, my old Surge works pretty well. I have been able to break mine in to almost butterfly knife subtlety.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:14:26 AM
Except for the dedicated Philips head, everything else you describe is found on the newer Leatherman Surge. And that at least has a Philips head bit/ driver.

I too prefer dedicated drivers instead of bits, however, my old Surge works pretty well. I have been able to break mine in to almost butterfly knife subtlety.

I do have a Surge and that was the closest thing I could think of as well.  Mine stays in my car kit so it doesn't currently get much use but it's good to hear that they break in a bit.  Mines still really stiff. 

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:19:57 AM
I moved from a Super Tool 300 to a Vic Soldier or Fireman with dedicated pliers, as well as my PocketWrench II for farm work.  After the results of a family friend plus my ST300, I knew they wouldn't withstand extreme abuse (the pliers flexed on me half the time I used them).

The two pliers I find myself carrying are the Proto 267G New England Style lineman's pliers, with various needlenose, typically Channellock (E318), as well as Kraeuter and Boker USA (they had a big line of hand tools back in the '50s and '60s).

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:23:56 AM
The WorkPro heavy duty tool meets all of your requirements. It is not the same level of quality as the LM stuff, but is a fun change at only $40. It us surprisingly strong for being a non-big name tool made overseas. It weighs about a full pound with the pouch though. :P
It also does something LM cannot do. It doubles as a stainless steel brick.  :D
Edit: pic. Workpro on left.
20170929_221130-1.jpeg
* 20170929_221130-1.jpeg (Filesize: 61.25 KB)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:25:45 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 05:32:56 AM
The WorkPro heavy duty tool meets all of your requirements. It is not the same level of quality as the LM stuff, but is a fun change at only $40. It us surprisingly strong for being a non-big name tool made overseas. It weighs about a full pound with the pouch though. :P

Yeah that's a great suggestion, it's got exactly what I described.   I looked it up and bookmarked it.  I'll have to see if I can find a place where I can put hands on one.  $40 seems like it's on the high end for an off brand but if the quality is there it might be worth a try.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:06:56 AM

Yeah that's a great suggestion, it's got exactly what I described.   I looked it up and bookmarked it.  I'll have to see if I can find a place where I can put hands on one.  $40 seems like it's on the high end for an off brand but if the quality is there it might be worth a try.
My only complaint with it, and it may break in to be smoother, is the plier pivot being a bit rough feeling. At $40 and made overseas, I needed to mention that.
I re-oiled mine, and it is still a tiny bit 'gritty' feeling. I'm sure, if I actually used it, that would ultimately resolve itself. If the tool was $30, I would not feel the need to mention it.  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:53:33 AM

My only complaint with it, and it may break in to be smoother, is the plier pivot being a bit rough feeling. At $40 and made overseas, I needed to mention that.
I re-oiled mine, and it is still a tiny bit 'gritty' feeling. I'm sure, if I actually used it, that would ultimately resolve itself. If the tool was $30, I would not feel the need to mention it.  :cheers:

I have one with the same problem. I think it's their QC. The plier rivet is not perfectly round. It will constantly rub against its sides on certain angle. That's why the opening and closing is not smooth. And mine there's a teeny gap between the cutter, making cutting soft copper cables impossible. That why I am not using it. Didn't like the plier head as well. It's small as compared to the whole body to plier ratio. Knifes are not sharp out of the box, file hatching is in the wrong direction. It's really bulky and heavy. Not worth carrying imo. Honestly, I regret buying it even when I had only paid about $30usd for it.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:30:16 AM

I do have a Surge and that was the closest thing I could think of as well.  Mine stays in my car kit so it doesn't currently get much use but it's good to hear that they break in a bit.  Mines still really stiff.

What you might be able to do is to swap the Surge's bit driver for the Phillips head out of a ST 300 which has the same lock form factor... just measured the latter, at the pivot it's 3.7 mm wide against the bit driver's 5 mm, however you need to try out if the Phillips stays clear of the plier head. You'd need to add a washer, and you might have to file off the small internal plier rest tab. That is, if you feel up to taking the Surge apart.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:40:17 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:00 AM

:whistle:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:08:50 AM

:whistle:
Haha - there I went, imagining I was going where no one had gone before... not too seriously though  :rofl: - pity the search doesn't work very well on Tapatalk/ the phone.
Thanks Sync, very pictorial proof it's possible :tu:
I imagine you had to file off the plier rest tab inside the handle? Just checking my 3D imaginative powers...

@clown, if you want to go this way and need to source the Phillips, I'd suggest you try the occasional ebay offer, or member Loki-mobile.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:29 AM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57604.msg1040378.html#msg1040378

I have another (small) mod planned to make this even more functional....

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:20 AM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57604.msg1040378.html#msg1040378

I have another (small) mod planned to make this even more functional....
Thanks! Care to drop a hint? :popcorn:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 09:30:51 AM
Nope. Not telling! :ninja:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:48:33 AM
I could only think of the Surge as well :facepalm: Not thinking outside the box enough I guess :D The WorkPro does seem like worth a try but the long Phillips swap does seem like it would fit the bill more for what you are wanting :cheers:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:19 PM
I was wondering if that would work lol!  Thanks for the tips guys.  Sync, what modification was needed besides swapping the tools out?  Grinding/drilling/spacing?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 12:21:08 PM
Breaking off the plier rest and adding a washer or two. Check the link to the thread.^^

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:12:35 PM
Over lunch I involuntarily thought of a possible name for this sturdy version of a Surge...

Show content
- the Sturge!  :whistle: :angel:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:54:19 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29:36 PM
How about Phurge? (Phillips-Surge)

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:13 PM
Breaking off the plier rest and adding a washer or two. Check the link to the thread.^^

Will do. Thanks!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 02:02:44 PM
Dutch! Sync!

I like what you have done with the Surge. You have made it...perfect.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 03:01:17 PM
Dutch! Sync!

Thanks, although my activities were purely mental at this stage. Transforming that into realtiy is becoming rather attractive, though  :think: :think:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 04:59:19 PM
I think the only other production tool (maybe just discontinued) with all those features in one is the Gerber MP1 (by putting a PH driver bit on the exchanger)?

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=47327.0
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 06:24:39 PM

I don't suppose you recall what washer you used?  I don't have any extra parts laying around and will have resource one from somewhere.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:08 PM
I think the only other production tool (maybe just discontinued) with all those features in one is the Gerber MP1 (by putting a PH driver bit on the exchanger)?

I seriously considered the MP1 too but read too many reports of the tools being weak.  Also no file on the MP1.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 07:38:55 PM

I seriously considered the MP1 too but read too many reports of the tools being weak.  Also no file on the MP1.

Despite being a fan of (some) Gerbers, I cannot recommend any which are outboard with the Saf-T-Lock system. Too many times I have found that with one implement deployed, the lock bar does not return back fully to the "home" position, leaving other tools in that handle to flop out a bit. This is not an issue withb the inboard configurations (MP 400, MP600, Diesel), and I didn't suffer it on the MP700s either, but the Strata and Fit both suffered from this. If a driver was deployed for example, a sharp tool (knife) could fall from the handle enough to risk injury. This is one of the reasons that I personally would not consider the MP1 / Shift

Have you tried a Swisstool? It doesn't have OHO, but neither does your beloved ST300

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 07:52:43 PM

Despite being a fan of (some) Gerbers, I cannot recommend any which are outboard with the Saf-T-Lock system. Too many times I have found that with one implement deployed, the lock bar does not return back fully to the "home" position, leaving other tools in that handle to flop out a bit. This is not an issue withb the inboard configurations (MP 400, MP600, Diesel), and I didn't suffer it on the MP700s either, but the Strata and Fit both suffered from this. If a driver was deployed for example, a sharp tool (knife) could fall from the handle enough to risk injury. This is one of the reasons that I personally would not consider the MP1 / Shift

Have you tried a Swisstool? It doesn't have OHO, but neither does your beloved ST300

I do have both a Swisstool and a Spirit.  I think they both are excellent tools and I carry them frequently when I'm not at work.  The only issue I have with them is it's tough for me to get the tools out.  My nails are often cut very short which makes accessing the tools a little tricky.  Fine for home but a pain when on the job.  I can get at the ST300 tools even with leather gloves on.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:43 PM

I do have both a Swisstool and a Spirit.  I think they both are excellent tools and I carry them frequently when I'm not at work.  The only issue I have with them is it's tough for me to get the tools out.  My nails are often cut very short which makes accessing the tools a little tricky.  Fine for home but a pain when on the job.  I can get at the ST300 tools even with leather gloves on.

:salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:38 PM
Dutch! Sync!

Thanks, although my activities were purely mental at this stage. Transforming that into realtiy is becoming rather attractive, though  :think: :think:
You lose the ability to attach a Bit Extender HOWEVER if you attach a Removable Bit Driver to the Phillips you get the same result.  :salute:

I don't suppose you recall what washer you used?  I don't have any extra parts laying around and will have resource one from somewhere.
No idea sorry. It may have been one of Zoidberg's spares.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:53:19 PM by Syncop8r »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:07 PM
Dutch! Sync!

You lose the ability to attach a Bit Extender HOWEVER if you attach a Removable Bit Driver to the Phillips you get the same result.  :salute:
Correct, thanks. I see my Surge as my 'tank' tool, i.e. sturdy and ready for whatever the world might throw at it, which tends to kind of 'limit' it to non-exchanger-type tools (yeah I know, there's the saw/file blade exchanger too) and that's why I can dig swapping the bit driver for the Phillips head. I happen to have a ST 300 Phillips head and a suitable removable bit driver (as a nod to flexibility) lying around unused... hmmm...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:01:47 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85