Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help finding a new work tool...

clown · 52 · 1988

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need help finding a new work tool...
Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 10:02:54 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Just pointing that out as some people LOVE their Bit Extenders.  :)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:09 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

Just pointing that out as some people LOVE their Bit Extenders.  :)
Right :D. I do too, on certain tools, such as my ST 300 VX where I specifically added it - that is a bit closer to my normal carry for civilised urban environments where OHO is frowned upon, such as in Germany, and where I value the flexibility that the incorporated bit extender brings. But I'm sufficiently aware of mechanics to know that it, and the 2D bits, are not as strong as a dedicated Phillips head. Which is one more reason for starting to think it might be better placed on my Surge.

Edit: I feel as if I am starting to attribute distinct personalities to my tools. Sure sign of advanced affliction with the MTo virus, I fear... :rofl:

Edit2: Clown's question is a valid one though - where did you source your washers? I could adapt M5 ones but better to have the right size from the get go.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:24:22 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:28 PM
Dutch! Sync!

I like what you have done with the Surge. You have made it...perfect.
Thanks, although my activities were purely mental at this stage. Transforming that into realtiy is becoming rather attractive, though  :think: :think:
You lose the ability to attach a Bit Extender HOWEVER if you attach a Removable Bit Driver to the Phillips you get the same result.  :salute:

I don't suppose you recall what washer you used?  I don't have any extra parts laying around and will have resource one from somewhere.
No idea sorry. It may have been one of Zoidberg's spares.

Sorry to drop in with an off subject question but sense you mentioned the removable bit driver dose any one know if it will worh with the Swisstool phillips? 

That is a Surge mod I may consider.  :like: I realy like how that came out and with the removable driver it would work great.  Even as is the Surge is a great tool with some plusses over my prefered Swisstool.  :o  Yes I did admit the Swisstool could be improved.  Ouch!  That was hard. :rofl:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 07:15:03 AM
the removable bit driver dose any one know if it will worh with the Swisstool phillips?

Douglas,

Funny, I'd never tried that...

The LM removable driver sort of fits but doesn't go far enough over the Swisstool Phillips to be of practical use, about 7 mm or 1/4 " at most. It would fall off quickly. The curve on the inside of the Phillips is the culprit, at least on mine.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:15:46 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 08:33:46 AM
Dutch! Sync!

Thanks, although my activities were purely mental at this stage. Transforming that into realtiy is becoming rather attractive, though  :think: :think:
You lose the ability to attach a Bit Extender HOWEVER if you attach a Removable Bit Driver to the Phillips you get the same result.  :salute:
Correct, thanks. I see my Surge as my 'tank' tool, i.e. sturdy and ready for whatever the world might throw at it, which tends to kind of 'limit' it to non-exchanger-type tools (yeah I know, there's the saw/file blade exchanger too) and that's why I can dig swapping the bit driver for the Phillips head. I happen to have a ST 300 Phillips head and a suitable removable bit driver (as a nod to flexibility) lying around unused... hmmm...

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but this is kind of related.  :cheers:

Thinking a little bit further along the lines of the Surge as no-frills Sherman tank type tool, one could also consider:
- doing away with the scissors. Although the Surge ones happen to be among the best LM has ever designed, the question arises whether one needs these (as OHO?) on a rugged no-frills tool, to the detriment of...
- a fixed saw and file...? The exchanger is pretty good on the new Surge, but the moves to swap the blades do remain a bit fiddly, and you need to carry one separately from the tool. Also, as a OHO tool, the OH aspect of it might be somewhat diluted by the need for swapping the blade if the wrong one happens to be on it...

Now, by what I thought of so far as pure coincidence but is turning out to be, dare I say it, destiny, I have lying around one each of the ST 300's saw and file blades from the VX mod...  :think: :think: :think:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 08:46:20 AM
Thinking a little bit further along the lines of the Surge as no-frills Sherman tank type tool, one could also consider:
- doing away with the scissors. Although the Surge ones happen to be among the best LM has ever designed, the question arises whether one needs these (as OHO?) on a rugged no-frills tool, to the detriment of...
- a fixed saw and file...?
Interesting idea.  :tu:  I'm sure many people will disagree with you!
I hear what you are saying about the saw. I like to have a saw on a multitool although I will take something with a decent one like a Wenger Ranger if there is a possibility it will be needed (eg: hiking, which I will not use my Surge for).
An advantage of the removeable file is touching up the Surge's own blades.

As much as I love a dedicated saw, I like the Surge scissors too much to replace them for one.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:47:56 AM by Syncop8r »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 10:43:50 AM
- a fixed saw and file...?
Interesting idea.  :tu:  I'm sure many people will disagree with you!
I hear what you are saying about the saw. I like to have a saw on a multitool although I will take something with a decent one like a Wenger Ranger if there is a possibility it will be needed (eg: hiking, which I will not use my Surge for).
An advantage of the removeable file is touching up the Surge's own blades.

As much as I love a dedicated saw, I like the Surge scissors too much to replace them for one.

:think: :think:
Hmm, yes, that is where we might differ - I'd take the Surge hiking (nature trails etc.), no problem, as that is where the OHO aspect is least likely to attract the undue attention of the law over here. And that's where enhancing OHO and ruggedizing (even more) might be advantageous. (When hiking I'd also carry a separate tool with scissors (Minichamp/Squirt upwards) or a separate pair of scissors (as part of a small FAK). Don't need OHO scissors when hiking).

I think I might give it a try. It is a reversible mod, after all.

I agree about the Surge scissors, though, they rock. :tu:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:45 PM
I think I might give it a try. It is a reversible mod, after all.

... I thought, until I realised that I'd have to make liner lock faces on the 300's saw and file... :facepalm: not ready to go down that one-way street yet.

But I might do the Phillips.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 11:06:53 PM

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 04:29:41 AM
It's definitely on the shortlist :D

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:31 AM
It's definitely on the shortlist :D

:popcorn:

:like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 03:10:18 AM
 :popcorn:

:pok:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 08:03:11 AM
Dutch! Sync!

Correct, thanks. I see my Surge as my 'tank' tool, i.e. sturdy and ready for whatever the world might throw at it, which tends to kind of 'limit' it to non-exchanger-type tools (yeah I know, there's the saw/file blade exchanger too) and that's why I can dig swapping the bit driver for the Phillips head. I happen to have a ST 300 Phillips head and a suitable removable bit driver (as a nod to flexibility) lying around unused... hmmm...

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but this is kind of related.  :cheers:

- a fixed saw and file...? The exchanger is pretty good on the new Surge, but the moves to swap the blades do remain a bit fiddly, and you need to carry one separately from the tool. Also, as a OHO tool, the OH aspect of it might be somewhat diluted by the need for swapping the blade if the wrong one happens to be on it...

Now, by what I thought of so far as pure coincidence but is turning out to be, dare I say it, destiny, I have lying around one each of the ST 300's saw and file blades from the VX mod...  :think: :think: :think:

Dutch,

I see what you mean about the blade exchanger diluting the usefulness of one-hand operation, but the Surge is no less the tank for it. I leave the saw in the exchanger as if it were dedicated, and pull the file out when needed and just use it by hand separately. I rarely need to place it into the exchanger, especially if using  the diamond coated file for finer work. Even using a full on, non LM smurf file, the handle is never as thick as the Surge, so I never feel I need to insert it.

While I have not yet had to do this, the file can also be used to keep the edge on some of the other Surge tools, as someone else (Syncop8?) has also pointed out.

The place where the original Surge could be said to be weak is that tiny eyeglass bit driver exchanger as that long, narrow, unprotected bit is easily broken or lost. The place where I feel that both versions of the Surge are weak is the remaining large bit driver. That because it can be lost, or worse, the spring can be lost, making that entire feature useless

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 18, 2017, 08:12:29 AM
If a dedicated Philips from an older Super Tool were placed into the Surge instead of  big bit driver, would there then be enough room for a file from a Rebar or something?

Then we'd really be cooking with gas.

While I hate strongly dislike the idea of carrying around extra bits and bit cards, and all of the fiddling that goes with that, I absolutely love the idea that I can carry a T-shank metal saw with me in the same sheath, and swap it out when appropriate. The saws and files are flat, and lock into place, so I feel that exchanger is justified and robust

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 08:31:09 AM
If a dedicated Philips from an older Super Tool were placed into the Surge instead of  big bit driver, would there then be enough room for a file from a Rebar or something?
What thickness do you need? BTW, Rebar tools might not work.... better to go ST300.
Myself, I want to get a medium driver in there.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 08:46:26 PM
Well, the shortlist became one item shorter :D

Did the fixed Phillips swap tonight, all for the sake of making the SURGE!!! even more rugged than it already was stock. A true tank, now...

Thanks for all the advice above, guys and girls :hatsoff:

One note of caution to candidate Surge modders: take care when twisting or otherwise removing the plier head tab to make way for the fixed Phillips: the lock spring is actually the same piece of metal and mine became de-tensioned slightly in the process. I had to temporarily remove the lock and bend the spring back a bit with some tricks to reinstate tension.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 08:56:12 PM
Well, the shortlist became one item shorter :D

Did the fixed Phillips swap tonight, all for the sake of making the SURGE!!! even more rugged than it already was stock. A true tank, now...

Thanks for all the advice above, guys and girls :hatsoff:

One note of caution to candidate Surge modders: take care when twisting or otherwise removing the plier head tab to make way for the fixed Phillips: the lock spring is actually the same piece of metal and mine became de-tensioned slightly in the process. I had to temporarily remove the lock and bend the spring back a bit with some tricks to reinstate tension.

(Image removed from quote.)

Got a LM removable bit adapter?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: October 31, 2017, 09:02:43 PM
Yes... so I won't be stuck when I need to turn special screws :angel:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 09:10:15 PM
Yes... so I won't be stuck when I need to turn special screws :angel:

Awesome! :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 09:50:36 PM
Surge in tank mode :D

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 10:02:20 PM
 :like:

Welcome to the Surge With Fixed 3D Phillips Club!  :cheers:
Population: 2?

I reckon the Bit Extender is unlikely to be needed if already using the Removable Bit Driver.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:04:22 PM by Syncop8r »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 10:29:37 PM
Thanks Sync :tu:

The extender was merely added for effect and is indeed unlikely to be a frequent addition :D

But I feel we are not alone in our quest for a ruggedised Surge (Rurge?)

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31