Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My oldest child's first MT!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
My oldest child's first MT!
on: October 12, 2017, 04:40:13 PM
The time has come. Proud daddy moment for sure. I wanted to share with the MTO family that I decided the time was right for my oldest child, Silas, to be introduced to the world of multitools when he turns 8 in a couple of weeks. I've been thinking about this for a long time, trying to decide what tool to get him and when. He's been doing a good job with being responsible with some other items and possessions and he's been asking for his own tool for a bit. It's time.

But what to get? When it was released, I thought the Leap was a good candidate, being designed specifically for children. Wanting to weigh options, I started considering a SAK. So many size options and different toolsets available. Ultimately I decided I wanted to get him a pliers-based tool with some locking functions, if not for safety then to get him used to operating tool-locks. At this point I considered the MP400. But as it is a little larger tool, I found myself circling back to the Leap. The fact that it was designed for kid-sized hands and with safety and learning in mind won me over.

The tool came in last night and I must say that I am impressed. Feels like a quality piece. I know Silas will love it.

I decided to go ahead and install the blade. I'm of the mind that if he cuts himself, he will be more careful next time. The only thing that will result in my taking his tool away are him acting immaturely with it, or deliberately dangerous actions. Otherwise, experience will guide him (and my input, of course).

I'll update when he gets his new tool.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Re: My oldest child's first MT!
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:58 PM
+1 on cutting oneself as early as possible.  :D

Now to explain why this proposition does not make me some kind of a sociopath. I got my first sak when I was maybe 5? Well the first thing I did when I got home was to cut my thumb nearly in half. That was the fist and last major cut with a blade I managed to inflict on myself. I think I am better for it.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:36:53 PM

Now to explain why this proposition does not make me some kind of a sociopath. I got my first sak when I was maybe 5? Well the first thing I did when I got home was to cut my thumb nearly in half. That was the fist and last major cut with a blade I managed to inflict on myself. I think I am better for it.  :D

DITTO and...
AMEN!!!
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:42:13 PM
Good choice on the Leap and good call on the blade.   :cheers: :tu:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:00:42 PM

I had the same experience. I got a knife when I was quite young. Cut myself within minutes. From then on I gained a healthy respect for knives.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:03:14 PM

I had the same experience. I got a knife when I was quite young. Cut myself within minutes. From then on I gained a healthy respect for knives.

.... and kept on cutting yourself  :rofl:

Sorry  :oops: :P :angel:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:17:22 PM

Amen!  :tu: :salute:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:25:45 PM
Got my first SAK (or rather an Italian knockoff) age 6. That stayed with me at least until I was 12, and it was pretty beat up by then. With hindsight the quality wasn't brilliant: naff steel for the blade (despite many a short lived attempt at sharpening - in fact the can opener I sharpened with my dad's bench grinder stayed sharp for longer :rofl:) and thin pivots (like 1.2 mm or so) but it made me itch for the Vics.

Meanwhile at my first skiing camp I was rescued from a loosened ski edge liner (yup - the old pair I'd got to try out skiing still had those separate, screwed to the skis) by a colleague and friend of my dad's who'd volunteered as an assistant at camp and who proceeded to unholster a SwissChamp, tighten the screw using the Phillips, holstered the Champ and set off with a cheery wave. I think that was the key experience that piqued my interest in the real thing. I think I was 8 at the time. Oh, memories...

Oops, sorry if I'm rambling... just goes to show how important youth is in shaping later adulthood. Well done to all those that include respect for and interest in tools in their children's education :tu:

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:30:17 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 02:26:23 AM
Congrats!  A first MT is a milestone for sure.  My daughter is only 3 but last year I happened to stumble on the perfect SAK for her.  So I snatched it up and have it stashed away until the time is right to give it to her.  Let us know how your son and his new MT get along with each other! :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 02:34:07 AM
I think it is great to introduce sharp and shineys to young ones :like: :like: Great choice on the Leap as well :tu: Hopefully your boy will be responsible and if he does get cut hopefully it won't be to bad and he will gain respect for a blade :salute: :like:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:01:16 AM
G'Day,

Congrats on the boys birthday - to come.

I think 8 is a perfect age for a MT. My kids got Squirts for xmas that year. On the day they got them, I sat them down explaining each tool with its intended use. I made some rules with the word "Leatherman" and made that and a breakdown pic of the tool into a laminated bookmark. It has been six years since then and not a single cut or other injury. The key is education and responsibility. Kids will learn given enough responsibility and accountability.

Post a pic of the happy boys face!!!

Cheers

Pete

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 06:28:22 AM
I think its a good choice for a first tool.  Congrats to your son.   
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:44:29 AM

DITTO and...
AMEN!!!

Only one way to learn  :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 08:15:51 PM
I appreciate everyone weighing in with your experiences and thoughts. :tu:

My first tool (that I remember) was a SAK. I carried it quite a lot but really didn't use it much - just piddly stuff. It was a 91mm with camo scales. I cannot remember what all features it had or even how many layers (I am thinking it was at least 4 layers, maybe 5 - I remember it having decent thickness). I enjoyed the fiddle factor of folding out all the different implements. I really wish I still had it.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

fi Offline Telajänis

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 07:48:51 AM
I'll agree with everyone that it's a great idea.
I didn't have MTs as a kid, but I got dedicated tools like hammers, saws and fixed blade knives. You learn from errors, so long as it's impressed upon you that they're not toys.

Oh, as an afterthought I remembered that we got some chinese knock-off SAKs which were so bad that they were actually kind of dangerous, because having been taught early that they're not toys, we'd try to use them for stuff like wood carving, and they were so dull and so flimsy that it often resulted in slippage or tool snapping. The more it is a toy, the more dangerous it is. Soured me on SAKs for close to 20 years.

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:25:31 PM
Congrats to your son on this milestone, and good luck with the future finger bandaging!
My little guy is currently 2, and although my father gave me my first knife at the ripe old age of 3 I'll think I'll wait just a tad longer with my son.

Totally agree with everyone's comments on getting a quality blade for him versus a cheap knockoff.  I was ruined on SAKs for nearly 15 years, before I finally realized that most of the knives I tried when younger were only cheap imitations. I had a collection of about 30 knives by the time I was 10, and in retrospect all of my favorite knives were the well-built and higher quality knives---though I couldn't have articulated the difference at that age. I just knew something was different about them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%