Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non Multitools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Non Multitools
Reply #270 on: September 26, 2018, 02:37:57 AM
Nice setup!  Is that your work rig? If so, what do you do?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #271 on: September 26, 2018, 08:41:27 AM
I have a large assortment of hand tools at my disposal.  Both mechanical oriented, and electrical.  Recently picked-up this set of mid-length 1/4" drive S&K's.

Stanley Proto is a good choice for a short-shank, and long-shank magnetic-screwdriver.

Original Petersen Vise-Grips, Husky, Allen, Irwin, Channellock, Klein, Knipex, Ideal, S&K, Gear Wrench, Fluke, DeWalt, Dremel, and Craftsman figure prominently in my collection.  These are the one's, which are closest at hand.  It seems logical that most advocates of EDC carry, would also have traditional tools en mass:D

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:56:53 AM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #272 on: September 26, 2018, 10:28:36 AM
Every time I go into this thread; I am so glad that I am not the only one who's getting on his woman nerves with a massive collection of tools that keeps growing and growing.... :whistle:

...but of course it is great and fantastic that I have the right tools for the job when something breaks or needs fixing.
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #273 on: September 26, 2018, 01:20:20 PM
At Canadian Tire, the place where I get most of my tools, I tend to buy things on sale.  Everything comes on sale sooner or later, and you can get some great deals on things, usually when you don't need them.  For example, the ratcheting wrench sets at the beginning of this thread were 50% off when I got them, and the big Stanley set is regularly something like $300 and bought for $120 on sale.

My ex wife used to complain when I was buying stuff like that, and she'd always ask "What do you need that for?"  Sooner or later that tool would come in handy for something that needed fixing (there's always something that needs fixing in a house!) and I'd make a point of showing her the tool afterwards and saying something like "good thing I had that tool available, or this would have taken ten times as long."  Sometimes I would follow it up with the Canadian Tire website showing the item at full price that week....

I got a lot of these:

::)

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #274 on: September 26, 2018, 02:40:24 PM
At Canadian Tire, the place where I get most of my tools, I tend to buy things on sale.  Everything comes on sale sooner or later, and you can get some great deals on things, usually when you don't need them.  For example, the ratcheting wrench sets at the beginning of this thread were 50% off when I got them, and the big Stanley set is regularly something like $300 and bought for $120 on sale.

My ex wife used to complain when I was buying stuff like that, and she'd always ask "What do you need that for?"  Sooner or later that tool would come in handy for something that needed fixing (there's always something that needs fixing in a house!) and I'd make a point of showing her the tool afterwards and saying something like "good thing I had that tool available, or this would have taken ten times as long."  Sometimes I would follow it up with the Canadian Tire website showing the item at full price that week....

I got a lot of these:

::)

Def

:rofl:

Similar story here...

Her:
"You don't need all those tools"
"You don't need to buy more tools"
"You have enough tools, you don't need more"
..Blah blah blah...

Me:
- Changed battery on her iPhone
- Fixed leak under bathtub
- Fixed electrical wiring in bathroom so that you can turn on the lights without the loud and obnoxious fan coming on
- Fixed the oven
- Helped her dad service his van
- Fixed lawn mower

Also me:
..Do you see now why tools are needed?

Also, Also me (as I am the tech nerd in the family):

At home:
- Setup home network, NAT Server with Static DNS and IP, so we can access our files anywhere
- Setup network printer, and set it up on all our devices, Including phones and tablets
- Setup her Microsoft account for her and synced it with all her devices and installed office pack on all
- Setup her Apple ID and iCloud
- Setup her McAfee Antivirus account and installed and synced with all her devices
- Setup her emails on all devices as IMAP accounts so they sync and she can view her emails on all her devices
- Setup shared calendar and synced it across all our devices

At her parents house:
- Troubleshoot their laptop and clean up harddrive to make it run smoother (SATA Drive)
- Setup their new mobile phones
- Troubleshoot and fix intermittent internet connection issue (source was a cheap and smurfty ethernet cable)

At my parents house:
- Troubleshoot slow iMac (Source was crappy third party software and malware)
- Troubleshoot why my Dads apple watch isn't syncing with his iPhone
- Fix none sending email problem on moms iPad
- Fix outlook issue on moms PC

Her:
- "You spend too much time in front of computers"
- "its unhealthy to constantly be looking at devices"

Me:
 :poh:
Kind regards,

MMR

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #275 on: September 26, 2018, 05:28:29 PM
Nice setup!  Is that your work rig? If so, what do you do?

Def

A Sparky gone wrong , also do a lot of other stuff , VDV , Fire Systems , access control , some multitrade maintenance on the side . Have been a job super a time or two .

As General rule , my core tools are top notch , fairly compact in relation to capability , power stuff is mostly Bosch and Milwaukee . I count hand tools as more important than power stuff . They don’t change much over time . I view power tools as 2-5 year consumables , better stuff is always comming down the pipeline .

I use a lot of Knipex , PBSwiss ( makes some stuff for Victorinox , the bike tool by way of example , I further suspect they make the Vic. Ratchets and extension bars ) , Whia and Wera are also very much on the Menu .

Best Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:40:54 PM by Old man Chris »

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #276 on: September 26, 2018, 05:39:52 PM
My “ Walk In “ and “ back up” PBSwiss 1/4” hex ratcheting multidriver . PBSwiss makes some of the best ratcheting drivers known to man , makes Snap On feel like a kid’s toy . I did the leatherwork .

Best Regards,

Chris

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #277 on: September 26, 2018, 10:42:08 PM
Similar story here...

Her:
..Blah blah blah...

We'd reached an impasse where the logic is that one can't have too many tools. Just as one can't have too many shoes..  :facepalm:  At least tools rarely come in pairs! :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:43:22 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #278 on: September 27, 2018, 04:19:18 AM
Similar story here...

Her:
..Blah blah blah...

I’m a Widower , so I no longer have those issues . I got to tell you , I don’t miss being married , even a small amount !

Best Regards,

Chris

We'd reached an impasse where the logic is that one can't have too many tools. Just as one can't have too many shoes..  :facepalm:  At least tools rarely come in pairs! :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #279 on: September 27, 2018, 04:51:52 AM
As much as I enjoyed my dating years, I rather enjoy my single life.  :iagree:

Nothing like getting a paycheck and dropping hundreds of dollars on stuff I don't need and eating crappy food to make up for it. Not to mention I don't get the third degree yelling for my hobbies. New MTs and watches are all the supplements I need. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #280 on: September 28, 2018, 05:08:24 PM
Gotta say I don’t miss Holy Deadlock at all , ditto Dating , and shacking up . Freedom isn’t free , sadly it’s avery exprnsive luxury ! I only answer to my cats , easy to buy off with treats , and don’t own shoes !

Best Regards,

Chris

za Offline Skebeng

Reply #281 on: September 28, 2018, 07:24:13 PM
Great topic  :D

These are tools I use for work and at home. It isnt everything but its the stuff I use. Anything else is rolling around in my car out of my wifes way  :rofl:

I have spent the last 15 years collecting these and whenever something goes missing I replace it with cheap Chinese stuff.

With the exception of multitools I cannot validate expensive tool purchases to myself anymore.
Most important to me jobwise are ph 2 drivers and a long nose.
Most treasured are my Wiha screwdrivers. They are the best thing ever created!!! I have had 3 'misplaced' at customers... Never to be found again even though I go back a half hour later for it. Thats South Africa for you I guess, finders keepers.

But you use a Wiha and you never want to use anything else again, a bit like the Spirit  ;)

Which is why I carry crap tools to work  :facepalm: It makes no sense to anyone including myself but I would rather lose a $2 screwdriver than a Wiha nutdriver I waited 3 weeks for, at ten times the price.
_20180927_104435_1538141092829.jpg
* _20180927_104435_1538141092829.jpg (Filesize: 70.43 KB)
_20180927_104314_1538145349931.jpg
* _20180927_104314_1538145349931.jpg (Filesize: 70.3 KB)
_20180927_104232.jpg
* _20180927_104232.jpg (Filesize: 77.19 KB)
_20180927_104131.jpg
* _20180927_104131.jpg (Filesize: 76.95 KB)

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #282 on: September 29, 2018, 03:24:15 AM
Nice assortments, Skebeng! :like:

I think tools "vanish" almost anytime they are left about. It amazes me that some people are so cheap and crappy that they would steal another person's tools. But, it happens. I work really hard to make sure I don't leave stuff laying around, but I know a lot of people who have had tools "vanish" in just a few minutes.   :rant:

I have the luxury of being able to go backwards-crazy looking for a tool I misplaced. But, I know most people don't get a chance to figure out where something went, because it might jeopardize their job. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Mith Smithy

Reply #283 on: September 29, 2018, 03:36:59 AM
Wow, just joined this forum but that is some beautiful stuff. I wish I had verniercalipers and a digital scale! I don't have the house or vehicle to need serious tools though. I just rent a little place :P

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #284 on: September 29, 2018, 06:08:07 PM
Welcome ! Good basic stuff is always good to have !

Best Regards,

Chris

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #285 on: October 01, 2018, 04:53:11 PM
I've had some special interest for portable socket sets the last year or so. Today I got two variants in the mail.

First off is a Wera 3/8" set. Unlike most others it is pouch based, and very nice at that. The ratchet seems to be quite slim, and the embroidered sizes for the sockets was a nice touch. They've jumped a few metric sizes here and there, but should be fine for 98% of the use I see. (I do come across 14mm at times - others mileage might vary).

IMG_8399_sets.jpg
* IMG_8399_sets.jpg (Filesize: 108.28 KB)
IMG_8400_sets.jpg
* IMG_8400_sets.jpg (Filesize: 116.26 KB)
IMG_8402_sets.jpg
* IMG_8402_sets.jpg (Filesize: 128.64 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #286 on: October 01, 2018, 04:58:12 PM
Then there is a little 1/4" Bahco set. Other Bahco sockets sets I've seen are nice, so I figure this will be too.

Somehow that ratchet rubs me a bit the wrong way initially, might be the thickness of it (?), but time will tell if this will be a portable go to or not. Not making any judgement just yet.

A peculiar thing with this set is that they've decided that having two PH2 bits are more useful that say a PH2 and a flat bit. There are no flat bits at all so that was unexpected.

IMG_8405_sets.jpg
* IMG_8405_sets.jpg (Filesize: 108.31 KB)
IMG_8404_sets.jpg
* IMG_8404_sets.jpg (Filesize: 118.96 KB)
IMG_8407_sets.jpg
* IMG_8407_sets.jpg (Filesize: 112.11 KB)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:59:20 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #287 on: October 05, 2018, 03:15:28 AM
I've had some special interest for portable socket sets the last year or so. Today I got two variants in the mail.

First off is a Wera 3/8" set. Unlike most others it is pouch based, and very nice at that. The ratchet seems to be quite slim, and the embroidered sizes for the sockets was a nice touch. They've jumped a few metric sizes here and there, but should be fine for 98% of the use I see. (I do come across 14mm at times - others mileage might vary).

Very nice!  I do like the look of Wera's line of tools.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #288 on: October 31, 2018, 02:17:05 AM
I love this!! Time to get out some of mine!
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #289 on: October 31, 2018, 12:30:24 PM
I love this!! Time to get out some of mine!

I'm looking forward to seeing them!   :tu:

Def

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #290 on: November 10, 2018, 01:41:12 AM
I'll try and get some pictures one day. I have maybe 5,000 tools altogether. I started out working on cars and trucks, quickly got into Imports and had to add metric tools. Got out of Cars and into industrial, fork lifts to bulldozers for 20 years. My back got bad, so I changed over to Cranes. Overhead cranes and hoists. Repair, rebuild, design, and build. The design part got me into a lot of electronics which led to some government jobs on control systems. Spent quite a bit of time doing things that don't exist, my security clearance was higher than most security people where I worked. LOL  Really helped after homeland took over the airports, I walked around the check points. My tools range from 1/8th" to 5" in wrenches and sockets, not counting adjustables. I ended my career with just a small tool roll that I took everywhere, with specialized tools in it. When I had to retire, I had to return most of those tools to the gov., interesting as hell, and I can't tell anyone what or where I did.
just a tired old Multi-fool

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #291 on: November 10, 2018, 01:06:34 PM
I guess I am glad that you retired then, so you could hang out with all of us and tell us stories of things that don't exist, in no detail whatsoever! 
 :D

I look forward to seeing what tools you have.  As you can see from above, I am pretty basic myself, mostly just DIY home repairs and the odd bit of wrench turning on my Jeeps.  I did some fiberglass work this summer on one of my kayaks and promptly remembered why I hate working with fiberglass!

Def

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #292 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:16 PM
I guess I am glad that you retired then, so you could hang out with all of us and tell us stories of things that don't exist, in no detail whatsoever! 
 :D

I look forward to seeing what tools you have.  As you can see from above, I am pretty basic myself, mostly just DIY home repairs and the odd bit of wrench turning on my Jeeps. I did some fiberglass work this summer on one of my kayaks and promptly remembered why I hate working with fiberglass!

Def

I know exactly what you're talking aboutDef! I took body shop in high school and learned on my own first car.  I itch all over just thinking about fiberglass work.  :rant: >:D

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #293 on: November 10, 2018, 10:56:58 PM
I need to stay the hell out of this forum.  :P  I can barely work on anything these days, and sure don't need any more tools than I have. But That Wera and Bahco  socket sets sure look nice!  :pok:  :dunno:  :gimme:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #295 on: November 11, 2018, 02:59:21 AM
Yadda, I hope your life insurance is paid up. After my wife shoots me, she's coming for you!  :twak:  :ahhh

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #296 on: November 14, 2018, 11:45:32 AM
I need to stay the hell out of this forum.  :P  I can barely work on anything these days, and sure don't need any more tools than I have. But That Wera and Bahco  socket sets sure look nice!  :pok:  :dunno:  :gimme:

The Wera sure is nice. As for the Bahco I'm still on the fence. The ratchet feels a bit thick, and I would have preferred a flat bit and a PH instead of two PHs. Weirdly the box cutout is also a bit off here and there sizewise: the handle don't fit proper and the extender is smurfing hard to get out -  On the positive side the sockets are slim and with finger grips. Other Bahco sets around here are nicer, but the main upside of this is its compactness. (And it is a third of the price of the equal Wera, so not really a fair comparison).

I'm with Grant - tell us about non-existing tools for non-existing uses in no detail whatsoever :D Or your favorite ones? There seems to be a bit of a divide across the pond as far as common tool brands go, so I assume there might some great tools over there I've never seen or heard of.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #297 on: November 14, 2018, 02:02:07 PM
Yadda, I hope your life insurance is paid up. After my wife shoots me, she's coming for you!  :twak:  :ahhh

The line to complain about me is over 50 years long.  Mom is in front and my wife is second.  Mom hasn't finished yet so your wife may be waiting a while for her turn.  :D >:D
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #298 on: November 14, 2018, 04:19:55 PM
The line to complain about me is over 50 years long.  Mom is in front and my wife is second.  Mom hasn't finished yet so your wife may be waiting a while for her turn.  :D >:D

You're a smurfing genious if you've somehow managed to get them to wait in line!  :D :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #299 on: November 15, 2018, 02:49:35 AM

You're a smurfing genious if you've somehow managed to get them to wait in line!  :D :cheers:

I didn't say they waited patiently.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%