Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non Multitools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Non Multitools
Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 11:23:24 AM
It's a definite possibility of there's enough interest.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 12:15:09 PM
Seconded :tu:

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 01:09:29 PM
Poked. :poke:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 01:10:28 PM
I often though of it, as even these single-purpose tools and specific instruments often double as multitools.
Looking at the success of threads like "show your hammer" or "let's see those crowbars" I am sure it'd be an active subforum!  :salute:                   
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 01:49:00 PM
Unitools?  :think:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 02:23:21 PM
Just an example of "UniTools"(thanks for a name idea syncop8r).
I think a lot of us here would have a lot of cool stuff to discuss about hand tools. :cheers:
20170920_080126-1.jpeg
* 20170920_080126-1.jpeg (Filesize: 133.13 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 06:18:02 PM
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 07:38:05 PM
Or.. or.. "tools" - like the rest of the world calls them?  :pok:

I know, zero points for originality..  Well, granted (pun intended) non-multitools might make sense in this setting. Or just other or ordinary tools? We need a naming tool! 
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #38 on: October 14, 2017, 07:50:30 PM
Am I interested? Are cats interested in empty boxes?

I think a "monotool" room would be an excellent addition.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 08:31:17 PM
I'm interested purely to see all of Tonys' tolls  :drool:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #40 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:55 PM
Or.. or.. "tools" - like the rest of the world calls them?  :pok:
Muggletools then?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: October 14, 2017, 10:32:58 PM
So "General Tool Discussion" isn't good enough?  :think:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 10:45:12 PM

Def
Maxwell-Smart-Shoe-phone.jpg
* Maxwell-Smart-Shoe-phone.jpg (Filesize: 80.21 KB)
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #43 on: October 14, 2017, 10:47:23 PM

Def

No nobody said that ever
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #44 on: October 14, 2017, 10:48:50 PM

Def

No nobody said that ever ( the that's what she said photo I'm referring to)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2017, 11:15:26 PM
Back to topic, I mentioned a Cobalt tool set similar to Grant’s Stanley set.  This rides in personal pickup, complete set of many tools for both Metric and SAE, with 1/4”, 3/8”,& 1/2” Drive tools. 

If you watch Lowes ads before Thanksgiving, sometimes a couple of weeks before, this set can be had for around $100.  They are snatched up quickly at the deeply discounted price. Like 66% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #46 on: October 14, 2017, 11:18:00 PM
If it gets more traffic than the SOG room, it will be a success.

:D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 12:06:05 AM
Back to topic, I mentioned a Cobalt tool set similar to Grant’s Stanley set.  This rides in personal pickup, complete set of many tools for both Metric and SAE, with 1/4”, 3/8”,& 1/2” Drive tools. 
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

If you watch Lowes ads before Thanksgiving, sometimes a couple of weeks before, this set can be had for around $100.  They are snatched up quickly at the deeply discounted price. Like 66% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great looking set!  I wish the Stanley set had more "generic" type storage like yours so I could toss in the spare bits and smaller sets on tracks and keep them all in the same place. 

The Stanley set I have is usually $399 according to Canadian Tire but was on sale for $119, which is pretty typical for Canadian Tire- never buy tools at full price, because they will probably be on a huge sale a week later.  The wrenches I got, for example, are usually $100 for the Metric and $100 for the SAE set but a friend of mine bought them each half off.  He then thought it was an impulse purchase and was going to return them and I stopped him and paid his refund for him and took the wrenches.  And I'm glad I did, as I use them an awful lot and I really like them.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:38 AM

Def

With over 6700 topics, and almost a quarter of a million posts, there's certainly nothing lacking about the General Tools forum.  :salute:

However, I think a single purpose handtool section would be a damn good idea. Just look at the amount of interest that happens in the Axe forum. Imagine opening that up to pliers, wrenches, hammers, crimps, chisels ..... I think there could be a hell of a lot of potential there. Who knows, there may well be people who speSmurfpillse in collecting different planes, or woodturning chisels, or even calipers or slide rules. We cover things like pens and lights and wallets and bags, and I think it could be a huge success given time, and once the search engines start finding some of the content and putting us forward to people's searches, it could bring a whole array of new tool enthusiasts our way  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 01:35:41 AM
I love tools of all sorts and this thread is just great :dd: :like: I need to get some pics up of all my different tools :cheers: Love seeing all the pics in here already  :like: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: October 15, 2017, 02:14:01 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your masonry tools!

Def

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 15, 2017, 03:10:54 AM
I feel a new sub forum would be a great idea.  I personaly have learned more than I could have ever imagined in the short time I've been a member.  I've learned a lot in the general forum but the brand specific dedicated subs are such a welth of info that they have challenged and or changed many of my preconceived belifes.  I think such a section as this could realy help those of us who work daily with hand tools and are also looking to learn from others what works for them.  I had prety much sworn off Leatherman after some bad experiances.  After seeing so much love for them and the genorosity of another member I have found that Leatherman realy is serious contender in the MT world.  I know I'm not the only member with a simular story.  Just imagine how many of us could be helped with a dedicated hand tool section. 
This thread alone has shown some great stuff.  Just imagine how much more there is....
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: October 15, 2017, 05:34:19 AM
I feel a new sub forum would be a great idea.  I personaly have learned more than I could have ever imagined in the short time I've been a member.  I've learned a lot in the general forum but the brand specific dedicated subs are such a welth of info that they have challenged and or changed many of my preconceived belifes.  I think such a section as this could realy help those of us who work daily with hand tools and are also looking to learn from others what works for them.  I had prety much sworn off Leatherman after some bad experiances.  After seeing so much love for them and the genorosity of another member I have found that Leatherman realy is serious contender in the MT world.  I know I'm not the only member with a simular story.  Just imagine how many of us could be helped with a dedicated hand tool section. 
This thread alone has shown some great stuff.  Just imagine how much more there is....
Beautifully said, Douglas! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 15, 2017, 07:49:26 AM
I typically use Craftsman hand tools when working on my big ol' Blazer, the old Jeep GC, or my girl's car. To be clear, they are almost all older Craftsman tools in old Craftsman metal tool boxes, except the set I got 15 or 20 years ago and that's tough plastic. They had a great warranty, too. No pics at the moment.

Having posted pics of my Super Tool being used to fix my really old Miller's Falls no. 5a hand drill, I can say I enjoy a working with a nice old hand tool.

In my opinion, the short time I have been part of  this group, Grant et al does a nice job here and at SOSAK. The info that J-Sews has gathered, wow. . I am guessing that at the time this site was started, it filled a need as a valuable resource that was not yet available on the internet.There is a lot of info here on multitools and SAKs and much of it gained first-hand. I'm not sure we would be doing that with a regular tool subsection here.

Searching for info on my Miller's Falls, drills, Buck Brothers chiseles,  and  old Stanley wooden levels and hand planers I find very detailed info already exists, complete with tool and company history.  Places like tool archive and garagejournal have helped me date old S-K ratchets and metal Craftsman tool boxes. Miller's Falls has their own section at oldtoolheaven...

While I like the idea of having a specific spot here for "Dedicated Tools", not to be contrarian, but a word of caution...it would take *YEARS* to amass that kind of data and knowhow on those subjects, while it already seems to exist elsewhere. Sure it would be fun to talk bout these tools and share pics and stories, but rather than MTO being cited as an authoritarian source, we would likely be citing the work of others. Maybe that's OK...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:56:51 AM by ThundahBeagle »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: October 15, 2017, 08:15:22 AM
I'm interested purely to see all of Tonys' tools  :drool:

Mark you know that you are always welcome to pop in (and any other MToers(Bring Jaffa cakes) )  :tu:

I'm sure there's a muggle tool thread already I've been posting in the Carboot thread for years now  :angel:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 15, 2017, 09:04:16 AM
While I like the idea of having a specific spot here for "Dedicated Tools", not to be contrarian, but a word of caution...it would take *YEARS* to amass that kind of data and knowhow on those subjects, while it already seems to exist elsewhere. Sure it would be fun to talk bout these tools and share pics and stories, but rather than MTO being cited as an authoritarian source, we would likely be citing the work of others. Maybe that's OK...

I don't think it the purpose of a subforum would be to become the internet's authoritarian source or encyclopedia of tools? The forum format is more suited exactly for sharing experiences, pictures, stories and questions. And doing that between MT forum members can only be done here.

Honestly I think there are plenty of tools and subjects that hasn't been discussed elsewhere, and even if it where there is nothing wrong with another discussion or source. I sure won't be citing any other site - most likely just my own experiences and questions. And I'm sure no other site has that. I'm sure others here will do the same and over time there will be a valuable resource with unique content.

Every long travel starts with the first step. And sometimes the travel itself is the goal; I don't think there is a planned destination of internet authority.   

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:10:44 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: October 15, 2017, 03:41:33 PM
Vidar,
That is a great viewpoint. AND to top it off, seeing as we are also MT guys, our own experiences may be unique in the fact we use our MTs as the standard of comparison on a daily basis. :tu:

Thundahbeagle,
I see what you mean regarding the abundance of information and cite sources, but do believe our MT knowledge has us prepared to understand and convey opinions and observations of standard hand tools. Do I think we are the authority on hand tools? Not even close. But, we may after sometime, have something to contribute to the hand tool information highway. Another positive aspect is the more people clicking links to MT.org means more advert views. This generates more ad-based income to the site to keep it going.  :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: October 15, 2017, 04:01:21 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your masonry tools!

Def

Will have to get some of them out and get some pics :salute:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 15, 2017, 08:08:42 PM
VIDAR & GEARLETHER,

I hope there is no misunderstanding. I do like the idea, and I would frequent that subcategory. I also know that many of the folks here have a veritable plethora of information on a number of tool subjects. No doubt it would be a positive addition for any member here.

Where I have any concern - and it is minor - is that I feel that this site is a definitive data source on all things Leatherman, and most things SAK, I know we would not be that for hand tools, and that someone else already is.

The question is: What do we want to be? Do we want to be the definitive source on X, or just another source who also cites other sources more often than being cited ourselves? I'm in either way because as has been mentioned, we will build up a sizeable knowledge base eventually, and have a nice time along the way.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: October 15, 2017, 10:04:59 PM
No worries. Not sure I share the concern or need for authority or citing, but of course there is a question of keeping focus and what to include. From what I've seen here so far I'm not worried about MT.org trying to become everything for everyone anytime soon though - the admins have created quite the place here without straying far from the MT path. And to me tools seem quite relevant to a multi tool place.

So what is the existing authority on tools? (I can be pretty ignorant at times, so for all I know I might be missing out on the greatest thing since MT  :cheers:).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:07:18 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%