Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non Multitools

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Re: Non Multitools
Reply #60 on: October 15, 2017, 10:07:13 PM
VIDAR & GEARLETHER,

I hope there is no misunderstanding. I do like the idea, and I would frequent that subcategory. I also know that many of the folks here have a veritable plethora of information on a number of tool subjects. No doubt it would be a positive addition for any member here.

Where I have any concern - and it is minor - is that I feel that this site is a definitive data source on all things Leatherman, and most things SAK, I know we would not be that for hand tools, and that someone else already is.

The question is: What do we want to be? Do we want to be the definitive source on X, or just another source who also cites other sources more often than being cited ourselves? I'm in either way because as has been mentioned, we will build up a sizeable knowledge base eventually, and have a nice time along the way.

I understand what your saying Thunda.  For me the best part of the knowledge here at MTo is the daily hands on shairing of real world ups and downs with a given multi-tool. 
Truth, honesty and even humor thrown in for good measure from people that realy care about what they do.  These multi-tools get used for everything from changing batteries in a childs toy to rewiring a microwave. (don't try that if you don't know what your doing.  4,000+ volt shock potential even on one thats been unplugged for years)  The people using these MT's are real people who have a passion for the Multi-tools they use, not paid reviewers looking for a paycheck.  We all have our favorites and tend to gravitate in that direction but we all also respect differing view points and even encourage it.  To this point I have not ever found a place with all that to offer concerning hand tools.  It may exist some where in the space time contimuam but not in ours yet.  We have a foundation here of wonderful knowladgeable people that will always be honest and truthfull and are not offened by difrfering opinions.  That to me is worth FAR more than an all inclusive fact archive.  Not to say that a rescource like the SAKwiki is not important, it is especialy for those who can focus on collecting.  Those rescources just do not realy affect my user tool choices and I would say that most likely holds true for most of us. 
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline getahl

Reply #61 on: October 16, 2017, 05:57:59 AM
I'll add pictures later, but I can add description now!

I essentially have two toolboxes. One lives in the garage, and has most of my tools in it. All of my bigger stuff lives here. The rough cut saw, the pipe wrench, the gigantic crescent wrench and  Channeloks, roofing hammer, files, saws, and myriad other things. I have a set of SAE box/open ended wrenches in a roll, and a socket set in its own carrier.

Then there's my tool bag. I love my tool bag. It lives in the house, and gets used more than anything else.

It's nothing special. A maybe 14 inch long Husky branded, nylon bag. It houses a bunch of stuff. A pair of needle nose pliers, a small Channelok, a small crescent wrench, a hammer, a set of SAE and metric Allen wrenches, a ratcheting screwdriver, nail set, precision screw driver, flashlights, WD40, duct tape, tape measure, level, Stanley knife, scissors, small pry bar/widgy bar, ratcheting 90 degree driver set, small set of files, and basically anything I might need to be super dad.

Mostly, it's there for when I'm too lazy to run to the garage, which doesn't have direct house access. Mostly, I comes out when hanging pictures, changing batteries, maintaining or repair stuff. I generally don't bother with a multitool in it, because it covers most bases. It's probably my one personal possession I would miss if it went missing or was lost. It's MY multitool.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #62 on: October 16, 2017, 02:58:28 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your tool kit!

Today's addition to the tool pics is this monster:

Officially it's the Toughbuilt F240 folding 24" bolt cutter that manages to become only slightly shorter but much wider when folded.

You all blame me for encouraging you to buy tools, but this set of cutters is proof that I am just as susceptible as anyone else.  See the original thread HERE.  What I didn't mention in the original thread is that since I needed them for work I told my boss about them as well, figuring he would want a set, and he ended up buying two pairs- one for him and one for me.  Here I am, four years later and I still use them.  Last week alone I used them to cut some replacement safety chains for my utility trailer.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: October 16, 2017, 03:00:37 PM
Now they look a handy set of croppers. I've never seen a folding pair before

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #64 on: October 16, 2017, 03:39:01 PM
You obviously don't steal enough bikes Kev.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2017, 04:53:59 PM
 :rofl: :rofl:

Would a set of these make me a good (bad :think:) bike thief?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #66 on: October 16, 2017, 07:59:08 PM
well, I've also got two toolboxes with very limited arrangement of tools. I only own one electrical powered tool, my Dremel. Yup, no electrical drills, nail guns, compressor-driven tools, etc.

My first toolbox has
Two thick blunt pliers,
two smaller needlenose pliers,
two electrical curved pliers, Knipex cobra in three sizes,
two adjustable wrenches (small and big, rubber handle and all metal),
two Vise Grips (long and thin, stubby and rounded),
six files of different lengths, metal rulers and
five different chisels

My second toolbox has
Four phillips screwdrivers of different sizes
four flatheads, different sizes
two bit-exchanger  drivers with sets of bits and heads
three ratchets
set of Allen keys
small screwdriver for Torx, and other small sized bits
heavy duty scissors
wire cutters
rebar cutters
measuring tapes, tape, Duck tape, cord, etc.

And out of those two toolboxes I've got 14 different hammers (yup, I love hammers     :D) in a wooden stand, of different kinds, sizes and purposes.  Next to them are my axes (2) and hatchets (6), and finally half a dozen machetes more or less (depending on the time of the year).
I've also got a big and a small bolt cutter that I frequently use at our woods property

On another room I've got my saws, 3 metal saws (hacksaws), 6 folding wood saws, a big crosscut saw, a multi-purpose (blade exchangeable) wood/plastic/metal saw, 2 precision angled saws (with guides and angles for small woodwork) and a bone saw
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: October 16, 2017, 09:37:09 PM
I've got 14 different hammers (yup, I love hammers     :D) in a wooden stand, of different kinds, sizes and purposes. 

Dang! I need a hammer stand  :ahhh
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: October 16, 2017, 11:30:50 PM
 :worthless:
I've got 14 different hammers (yup, I love hammers     :D) in a wooden stand, of different kinds, sizes and purposes. 

Really need picks of that stand :pok:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #69 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:41 AM

All bike thieves are bad! Lowest form of life, the smurfs! :rant:

Let's see, I have some tools I'd like to use on them... Now, where's that Annihilator?  :think:
 ;)

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #70 on: October 17, 2017, 03:43:53 PM

Let's see, I have some tools I'd like to use on them... Now, where's that Annihilator?  :think:
 ;)

Just take them to that creepy abandoned place you did the thread on and use leave them there to rot

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #71 on: October 17, 2017, 03:55:44 PM

;)

Just take them to that creepy abandoned place you did the thread on and use leave them there to rot

Now there's a thought...  >:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: October 18, 2017, 12:17:23 PM

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #73 on: October 18, 2017, 02:13:58 PM

Def

Ha! I had the smaller version of those (18"?), but stupidly sold it as it wasn't getting much use at the time... I have a tendancy to do that then kick myself later.

I particularly liked how you could open them with one swing of the arm while simultaneously KO'ing a work collegue.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: October 18, 2017, 03:31:20 PM

Def

Ha! I had the smaller version of those (18"?), but stupidly sold it as it wasn't getting much use at the time... I have a tendancy to do that then kick myself later.

I particularly liked how you could open them with one swing of the arm while simultaneously KO'ing a work collegue.

I haven't really tried the bit about knocking out a co-worker, but I have managed to hit myself in the forearm with it a few times while swinging it out and it wasn't pleasant....  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #75 on: October 18, 2017, 03:46:37 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #76 on: October 18, 2017, 04:15:16 PM

What's that, Dr. Z?  :think:

Coo... excellent - name that tool!

...actually, what is it?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: October 20, 2017, 04:32:46 PM

Really need picks of that stand :pok:

sorry mates, I was in a hurry today and went to the stand but forgot to take pics      :facepalm:

I tried to amend my mistake by taking the pic of the hammers that I took from there today, the axes that I had nearby and some other tools that I use very often. (These are my most used ones, and the workhorses of my small collection)   :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: October 20, 2017, 05:35:52 PM

There's a good few hammers there P  :salute:

Waiting for the stand  :D :popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #79 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:25 AM
Here I was thinking: "Why do you have 9 hammers?"

Then I remembered which forum I was on... :D

Great tools, bro! :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: October 21, 2017, 10:49:50 AM
Chanting....Stand,, Stand,, Stand,, Stand,, Stand,, Stand,, Stand...
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
 :drool:
Dr.  McCoy

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #81 on: October 21, 2017, 11:07:29 AM
:pok: :pok: :pok:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: October 21, 2017, 03:00:38 PM

Because the other six are scattered around at job sites, the yard, the garage, in the car etc.

Why else would someone only have nine hammers?  :P

That having been said, I think I only have three.  One was a gift from a previous landlord so I would stop borrowing one.  He called it the "house hammer" and I was supposed to leave it when I moved out.  The problem with that was that he then sold the house while I was still there, and teh replacement landlord was such a jackass that I didn't feel him worthy of a hammer and so I took it. 

I am also classing my Stanley Fubar as a hammer since it has a hammer built in and I use it as a hammer more than anything else.  Lastly we have a hammer from a home toolkit that Megan has had for years.  It's a smaller hammer but it works great for putting the flooring nails back in when they pop out in this 100 year old house.

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 21, 2017, 05:22:52 PM
I keep a bag of tools in the back of my vehicle (Craftsman pliers and cutters, pair of Channel Lock Pliers, Klein screwdriver, vise grips, electrician scissors and some bungee chords).

I have a good amount of Husky and Kobalt tools from Lowes/Home Depot. I can appreciate their exchange policy. I've used it at both and the person at the customer service desk never batted an eye with the exchange.

Now I might need to pickup one of those Knipex Plier Wrenches  :drool:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #84 on: October 21, 2017, 05:51:59 PM
Now they look a handy set of croppers. I've never seen a folding pair before

The problem with those is they become even bigger when folded.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #85 on: October 21, 2017, 05:59:44 PM

Because the other six are scattered around at job sites, the yard, the garage, in the car etc.

Why else would someone only have nine hammers?  :P

That having been said, I think I only have three.  One was a gift from a previous landlord so I would stop borrowing one.  He called it the "house hammer" and I was supposed to leave it when I moved out.  The problem with that was that he then sold the house while I was still there, and teh replacement landlord was such a jackass that I didn't feel him worthy of a hammer and so I took it. 

I am also classing my Stanley Fubar as a hammer since it has a hammer built in and I use it as a hammer more than anything else.  Lastly we have a hammer from a home toolkit that Megan has had for years.  It's a smaller hammer but it works great for putting the flooring nails back in when they pop out in this 100 year old house.

Def

I only have two, actually: a smallish regular hammer for whatever needs to be nailed around the apartment, and a Dead On Annihilator for dealing with those pesky Zombies that keep popping out randomly :viking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylQQj1bH-yY
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:01:01 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: October 21, 2017, 07:53:04 PM
:pok: :pok: :pok:

* Stand.jpg (Filesize: 9.43 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 22, 2017, 04:52:42 AM
I keep a bag of tools in the back of my vehicle ...
Now I might need to pickup one of those Knipex Plier Wrenches  :drool:

Me too I've been  :drool: over the pliers wrench for almost a year now.
Got to play with one the other day and now I may be havfing withdrawal symptoms... :whistle:
Dr.  McCoy

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #88 on: October 22, 2017, 04:56:50 AM
Hey Grant,
Why don't y'all make a category on the mto.org forum for regular hand tools? I know I'd enjoy it!
Cool stuff and nice pics!
How about one for workshop tools and one for garden tools?

Got me a good grubber today.  :D
20171022_152604.jpg
* 20171022_152604.jpg (Filesize: 267.65 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: October 23, 2017, 03:48:27 PM
I forgot about these two hammers, the rarest oddities I have in that category.
A glass breaking hammer and a small one the purpose of which is still unknown to me...got it in a flea market for $2

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%