Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looks like Leatherman CRUNCH discontinued...

sawman · 42 · 4700

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Looks like Leatherman CRUNCH discontinued...
on: October 15, 2017, 08:57:55 PM
The link goes dead on Leatherman's website and they seem to be drying up on eBay...

Can anyone confirm this?
SAW

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Looks like Leatherman CRUNCH discontinued...
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:08:31 PM
 :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:20:31 PM
This is definitely something that needs to be looked into :o I will check on my phone but if someone with access to a laptop or desktop could also check it out :salute: Might even be worth dropping LM an email :ahhh

Before I could get this post submitted I just live chatted with someone from LM and they said they had no plans to discontinue the Leatherman Crunch :salute:

us Offline sawman

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:22:56 PM
This is definitely something that needs to be looked into :o I will check on my phone but if someone with access to a laptop or desktop could also check it out :salute: Might even be worth dropping LM an email :ahhh

Before I could get this post submitted I just live chatted with someone from LM and they said they had no plans to discontinue the Leatherman Crunch :salute:
Then why remove it from their online store ???

SAW

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:24:25 PM
I was still in chat and told them about the broken link and they said it may be because they are out of stock at the moment :cheers: as they said that happens from time to time :tu:

us Offline sawman

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:27:54 PM
Let me get this straight....

They're out of stock... so instead of saying "Temporarily out of stock", they just pull the link?

What a SLOPERATION!
SAW

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 09:34:46 PM
Let me get this straight....

They're out of stock... so instead of saying "Temporarily out of stock", they just pull the link?

What a SLOPERATION!

That or they don't want anyone to know it really is being discontinued or not :shrug: Or just a broken page link :think: Just reporting what they told me :salute:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 09:59:23 PM
Coincidentally, i had a quick look this morning for used ones on the US eBay and was shocked to find only three... and one of them was in bits!!!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:55 PM
Actually, the hiding things that are out of stock is becoming more common. It's all part of a theory some halfwit beancounter came up with. Business paradigms, a sign that everyone can be talked into doing something stupid by people who they pay money to. I really hope they aren't giving it the axe. .
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 10:27:36 PM
Amazon lists them as "in stock" for about a buck ten.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:28:52 PM
Dang thats expensive for a Crunch!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 10:32:35 PM
None of the Amazon sellers is NetRush...

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:22 PM
What's the normal MSRP for a crunch, say, as of last week?

No hate on Crunch lovers out there, but if I'm spending $100 for a Leatherman, I'm buying a Surge or Super Tool 300 and a good Irwin Vice-Grips. You can't really use the other tools when you have the jaws clamped around a pipe anyway. That's just me. Maybe chime in here and school me, and remind Leatherman why they should not pull the plug

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 12:45:03 AM
I can go to the Crunch page on their Canadian site and it doesn't say out of stock. Don't know why anyone would pay $140 for a Crunch when they could get a different Leatherman and some good vise grips for that price  :o

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 03:07:57 AM
The idea is that you have vise grips on your MT. Vise grips are pocket destoyers! The execution is not perfect on the crunch, but it is really old MT design. I own a first year 1999 Crunch. If you consider how old the design is, it is brilliant. Demand for the Crunch is relatively low and they are complex to produce, and do not share any parts with other LM tools. That is why they are costly. The build quality is equal to any other MT in the price range as well.
I hope they are not discontinued, but it could stand a revamp in some respects.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 03:23:19 AM
I would love a reimagined or a bigger Crunch :dd: Could call it the SMASH :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 03:24:45 AM
That'd be the perfect name for it!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 06:49:33 AM
That'd be the perfect name for it!

That is a good name. :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 11:15:54 AM
What's the normal MSRP for a crunch, say, as of last week?

No hate on Crunch lovers out there, but if I'm spending $100 for a Leatherman, I'm buying a Surge or Super Tool 300 and a good Irwin Vice-Grips. You can't really use the other tools when you have the jaws clamped around a pipe anyway. That's just me. Maybe chime in here and school me, and remind Leatherman why they should not pull the plug

You can't use the other tools on a Surge when you're gripping something with the pliers either. ;)

I've got a Crunch and it doesn't get much use but I'm glad I've got it.  It's one of the coolest tools Leatherman make, IMO.  Folding vice grips!  It's remarkable small and amazingly capable.  It'd be a shame for LM to stop making it, but 18 years is a pretty good production run.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 11:18:57 AM
Shame. I handled a Crunch at the meet and they really are cool. If I could choose one LM it would be a Crunch for sure.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM
It's one of the last of the old school tools that LM have left and I would be sad to see it go as well :ahhh

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 03:02:58 PM
The idea is that you have vise grips on your MT. Vise grips are pocket destoyers! The execution is not perfect on the crunch, but it is really old MT design. I own a first year 1999 Crunch. If you consider how old the design is, it is brilliant. Demand for the Crunch is relatively low and they are complex to produce, and do not share any parts with other LM tools. That is why they are costly.

That makes sense.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 03:13:16 PM
I'm definitely a Crunch fan.  When you need locking pliers then normal pliers just won't cut the mustard, while the locking pliers on a Crunch will work well as normal pliers too and are surprisingly robust for a smallish tool.  It is compact when folded up, and it even has a driver for std (full size ) 1/4" hex bits.  I have a Crunch in all my vehicles, and every now and then one of them comes in very handy and makes me glad it was there when needed.

I'll concede it is a bit fiddly to set up the pliers ready for use, but unless you are using it very frequently I don't see that as a big drawback (and if you are using it that often then maybe you should be looking at a dedicated tool rather than an MT ?  )

If LM are discontinuing the Crunch I might just buy a few more as spares.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 03:43:32 PM
I hope not! my Crunch was taken among my other stuff this August and it was one of my favorites.  :-[
I only had one due to cost (they are $160 new here in stores) even though I got it used for $85, and I want to replace the lost one ASAP, but if they're discontinuing them they'll be much more $ and hard to find, especially here     :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:47 PM
I hope not! my Crunch was taken among my other stuff this August and it was one of my favorites.  :-[
I only had one due to cost (they are $160 new here in stores) even though I got it used for $85, and I want to replace the lost one ASAP, but if they're discontinuing them they'll be much more $ and hard to find, especially here     :ahhh
If I lost or had my Crunch stolen I'd be soo sick to my stomach! Hope you can find one for a reasonable price! It is a great tool to use or collect. A unique tool in the MT world! The first and still the only folding locking plier tool by a big name company.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 10:57:38 PM
The idea is that you have vise grips on your MT. Vise grips are pocket destoyers! The execution is not perfect on the crunch, but it is really old MT design. I own a first year 1999 Crunch. If you consider how old the design is, it is brilliant. Demand for the Crunch is relatively low and they are complex to produce, and do not share any parts with other LM tools. That is why they are costly. The build quality is equal to any other MT in the price range as well.
I hope they are not discontinued, but it could stand a revamp in some respects.

Put two small holes in inside liner of the pocket of my Army surplus raincoat when a 6LN model sprung open. Plus after handling the Crunch, I was surprised at how compact it was--not much bigger than a PST.   I'm still holding out for a used one sub $50.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 11:30:56 PM
No love lost here. I never saw the appeal. I did use one a few times, but wasn't enamoured by it.

I preferred the Grappler, primarily for the supporting toolset, as I don't think the pliers were as rugged as those on the Crunch. However, I have since robbed one of the tools off the Grappler for my Knifeless Wave, and haven't decided what to do with the rest of the tool.

My preferred locking pliers multi is the LC6. Not as pocketable, but PROPER locking pliers with full 1/4" bit driver, and no assembly/disassembly needed to use it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:22 PM
I'm definitely a Crunch fan.  When you need locking pliers then normal pliers just won't cut the mustard, while the locking pliers on a Crunch will work well as normal pliers too and are surprisingly robust for a smallish tool.  It is compact when folded up, and it even has a driver for std (full size ) 1/4" hex bits.  I have a Crunch in all my vehicles, and every now and then one of them comes in very handy and makes me glad it was there when needed.

I'll concede it is a bit fiddly to set up the pliers ready for use, but unless you are using it very frequently I don't see that as a big drawback (and if you are using it that often then maybe you should be looking at a dedicated tool rather than an MT ?  )

If LM are discontinuing the Crunch I might just buy a few more as spares.

completely agree with you on this one, Greg. :cheers:

I also keep a Crunch in my car, and it has certainly come in handy on more than one occasion. Like you said, there are certain times when normal pliers just won't get the job done.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 02:03:57 AM
I have only seen one Crunch at the flea market.  It was way over priced so I passed on it.  I carried and used mine for a while.  I have no issues other than I have 2 small sized vise grips on my vehicle that are pocket sized.   Neat tool and I'd liked to get another. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 03:20:52 AM
Plus after handling the Crunch, I was surprised at how compact it was--not much bigger than a PST.   I'm still holding out for a used one sub $50.

You will be doing well to get one for under $50, most of them seem to sell for $55+ these days.  I just picked up my #2 spare for $58.24 (including shipping within USA).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%