Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Joseph Rodgers restore.....or not.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Joseph Rodgers restore.....or not.
on: October 16, 2017, 03:44:01 PM
Howdy Doody

I wrote a massive.........rant.........in The Break Room and closed the window rather than posting  :facepalm:

Rather be positive....or try to

So, to all you Modders and Builders: HUGE RESPECT  :salute: :salute:

Let's face it, folders are the way to go if you'd like to support yourself as a knife maker, I wanted to try it, but I had my doubts whether I would enjoy it......

On to my Grandfather's old Joseph Rodgers........  :facepalm:

My dear grandfather gave me two of his old, worn-out knives many years ago, both needed needed serious attention and the main blades were pretty worn.

I stripped both many years ago, and the true miracle is I never lost any of the parts, not even the broken bits from the scales.

So this weekend I stumble over the GEC visit videos by Apostle P, there was already a fire thanks to the trad folder threads in Edged Tools, but these bloody videos just poured petrol on that fire...... Grandad's Joseph Rodgers, my one and only Traditional folder had to be restored and assembled!

I learned from the videos how a witch is used during the assembly of a folder, very soon my lack of a witch was highlighted.

By the time I'd figured out which blade goes where and had it all together I was in a flat spin  :facepalm:

I'd taken time to work out a plan of attack, after this struggle and the damage already done I decided to go ahead and start peening the pins, which changed the sequence slightly.

I don't know what went wrong, but the two outside pins that goes through the bolsters were a mess  :facepalm:

Blades too tight and everything else loose & wonky, I went a bit Clarkson with my little ball-peen and the results are a mess.  :facepalm:

To be honest there was always doubt, but now at least I know I don't want to make folders, I don't want to struggle with a million fiddly bits and wear out my molars, increase my frown lines  :twak:

Rather good hot steel and a big hammer, where I can shape things according to my will, until my will, my eye and my hand get together.  :cheers:

:hatsoff: to those with patience  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:46:33 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Joseph Rodgers restore.....or not.
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:09:26 AM
 :cheers:

Put it to one side for a while and it will look a whole lot better when you come back to it Mate  :salute:

PS; shims  ;)

Oh and  :popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31