Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario Knife Co. RAT Folder

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Ontario Knife Co. RAT Folder
on: October 16, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
So, a few weeks ago, I left my $80 Kershaw knife laying on a table at work. Fortunately someone who was not a scumbag brought it to the counter and asked if it belonged to someone. Since then I have been on a crazy journey to find the perfect knife for $25 for my needs. I bought a Kershaw Filter ($14 @ wally world) and found it to be poorly made. I bought a few more cheap knives and did not like them very much. Then I started looking on Amazon and the reviews on many big knife companies. Then I stumbled onto the Ontario Knife Co. RAT I. The reviews were superior to nearly every other knife in the <$50 catagory. I liked the look, features, lack of features(I don't need spring assist and weird buttons/switches all over the knife) and a chisel ground blade.
The steel is a Japanese AUS-8 stainless with 0.75% Carbon. The hardness is measured at 55 on the scale. Won't bend easily and won't shatter just looking at it. The reviews stated a fantastic edge retention and it was said to be reasonably easy to sharpen and hone.
I ordered the green handled version from wally world and picked it up yesterday.
The blade length is 3.6"(measured from handle top to blade tip) on my caliper and the cutting edge measures 3.38" on my caliper. I weighed it at 4.913oz also. It measured 5" closed, 0.5" thick without the pocket clip, 0.7" thick with the pocket clip, 1.3" from the back of the blade to the other side of the knife.
The feel in hand is fantastic and the whole thing feels like it weighs less than 4.9oz. It feela like a 4oz knife to me. The scales are not G10, but the nylon grips offer decent grip.
The pocket clip can be relocated to the four corners of the knife for a great choice of options for EDC carry. It has a thumb stud on each side of the blade for ambidextrous use as well! The picket clip makes the knife ride deep in pocket and smooth to take in and out of the pocket. A perfect pocket clip design for thin and thick pockets.
Did I go over my $25 limit for this knife? YES. It was $28 plus tax. Do I like it as much as some of my $50+ knives? I like it more than most of them.
The knife is produced in Taiwan, but honestly, the QC seems to be the best in the budget knife world based on what I see and reading other reviews.
Ontario Knife Co. RAT 1 is a highly recommended knife for anyone who needs a strong, high quality, great fit/finish, great feel, no frills, and good looks knife. The blade is one hand and completely opens with a mild thumb flick each time right out of the box. Just a purely well made knife!
20171016_083408-1.jpeg
* 20171016_083408-1.jpeg (Filesize: 26.17 KB)
20171016_083444-1.jpeg
* 20171016_083444-1.jpeg (Filesize: 62.87 KB)
20171016_083504-1.jpeg
* 20171016_083504-1.jpeg (Filesize: 42.47 KB)
20171016_083526-1.jpeg
* 20171016_083526-1.jpeg (Filesize: 48.05 KB)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:16:54 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Ontario Knife Co. RAT Folder
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:08:17 PM
Two more close ups.
20171016_083622-1.jpeg
* 20171016_083622-1.jpeg (Filesize: 43.48 KB)
20171016_083546-1.jpeg
* 20171016_083546-1.jpeg (Filesize: 40.03 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:15:02 PM
First off good to hear your other knife was not stolen.  Second, I've heard nothing but good things from Ontario Rat knives 1 and 2.  I find no matter the cost I am still bummed at loosing anything.  I'm sick when something is stolen.  Thankfully I've not lost or had anything stolen over the years.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 04:39:16 PM
Great knife, I have the Rat 2 and it is sweet as well. I had a Rat 1 as well until recently but sold it to ducttapetech as it was bit to big for me. I also never carried it since I got my Sanrenmu 910 which is also a fantastic under $25 folder.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:02 PM
Yeppesr, like Steve said, I got my RAT 1 from him and I love it. So much it is right up there with my SOG Vulcan.
Love the greens scales!
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 05:02:01 PM
That is one of those knives that more people should give a try. Myself included
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:07:21 PM
Agreed! Love the Ontario RAT and have had one for years. I can’t remember why but I had to completely disassemble mine. It went back toghether without a problem and is better than ever. I love the handle shape on the RAT 1 (is that the larger one) and the blade shape is excellent in my opinion. I really like how it has a lot of belly. All around a excellent knife and even more so when you take its cost into account.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 05:52:17 PM
Big fan of the RAT 2 here! Great work knife :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:08 PM
the RATs are among the most famous, most recommended entry level folders in the world.    :like:

For years they've dominated the sub-$30 folding knife market and have a huge fan base. They have been copied (Ganzo), homaged (ESEE Avispa and Zancudo) and upgraded (D2 steel models, dealer exclusives...) but the original ones are still there, kicking almost all competitors out of the "Budget folder" podium year after year    :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 05:51:10 PM
I just received an all-black RAT 1 and I am beyond impressed. Very well made knife - definitely a great value at $30! I kind of want another one with a non-painted blade and colored scales  :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 06:14:53 PM
I just received an all-black RAT 1 and I am beyond impressed. Very well made knife - definitely a great value at $30! I kind of want another one with a non-painted blade and colored scales  :tu:

Well I can't say I really want a RAT now after receiving this one yesterday...  :ahhh

but they're very good ones, impressive knives (especially if you're not spoiled by high tier toys like the ZT... :D)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%