Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP1 has arrived. Mixed thoughts.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Re: Gerber MP1 has arrived. Mixed thoughts.
Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:31 AM

Oh my. My OHT is scheduled for pocket time in a few weeks. Now I'm concerned! :o

Lets hope the MP fares better! The MP1 sure is a good looking MT though!

I really wanted to like the OHT and I may have just gotten one with bad casting.  Leatherman sent me a replacement but that one had problems too.  The third one they sent was fine but I decided to sell it.  The first two just left a bad taste in my mouth.  Once in a while I still get tempted to try another one though.

Offline Ravenroost

Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 05:19:24 PM
The MP1 pliers do leave a little to be desired in integrity after 2 weeks of working with mine.

Some of that may be the abuse the previous owner put this thing through.

When I got it, all the tools on the plain edge side were LOOSE. I had to cut some custom bronze bushings to take up the gap. And drill and tap the pivot pin for a new screw (it was broken off).

After peening the plier joint, the play was greatly minimized, though they still will not take lateral force like other similar sized pliers.

I've been thinking about just swapping the pliers head to something else (I have an old PST with similar profile to the pliers)

The bit driver is fantastic though, which was the main reason I bought it. Just long enough for my applications.

The g10 scales are grippy as all get out, I normally have my hands covered in grease, oil, or coolants when I use my MT at work so that is a godsend.

The scraper and pry tool also get a thumbs up.

The extra flat head screwdrivers work well for getting into places to scrape or pry where the actual scraper and pry tool are inconvenient to get to.

If the pliers had just a hair more this would be a perfect MT for what I need an MT for.

I'll probably swap the serrated blade for a file and maybe the pliers head.

Would be my dream MT then.

As is it's a 7/10 or so.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 10:43:06 PM
The MP1 pliers do leave a little to be desired in integrity after 2 weeks of working with mine.

Some of that may be the abuse the previous owner put this thing through.

When I got it, all the tools on the plain edge side were LOOSE. I had to cut some custom bronze bushings to take up the gap. And drill and tap the pivot pin for a new screw (it was broken off).

After peening the plier joint, the play was greatly minimized, though they still will not take lateral force like other similar sized pliers.

I've been thinking about just swapping the pliers head to something else (I have an old PST with similar profile to the pliers)

The bit driver is fantastic though, which was the main reason I bought it. Just long enough for my applications.

The g10 scales are grippy as all get out, I normally have my hands covered in grease, oil, or coolants when I use my MT at work so that is a godsend.

The scraper and pry tool also get a thumbs up.

The extra flat head screwdrivers work well for getting into places to scrape or pry where the actual scraper and pry tool are inconvenient to get to.

If the pliers had just a hair more this would be a perfect MT for what I need an MT for.

I'll probably swap the serrated blade for a file and maybe the pliers head.

Would be my dream MT then.

As is it's a 7/10 or so.

:like:

If you do swap the plier head please post some info in the mod squad sub and let us know how it goes.

Offline Ravenroost

Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:42 AM
After I made that last post, I did an old moldmakers trick on the pivot and peened them much more solidly.

I tried to twist them on some large metal "birds nests" I had laying next to our lathe and couldn't get them to bend or loosen like they were. They wouldn't loosen up at all. This was not the case in previous rigorous tests.

So maybe I won't have to swap them.

Bad side (good side in my opinion, but I'll explain) they won't spring open unless you get them about 1/3 to 1/2 open.

Going to give em some hardworking over next week and see if they hold and/or break.

If not I'll post a how to on the mod squad sub forum.

I wonder if an MP600 file will work in place of the serrated blade.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 02:38:25 AM
I honestly think I'd prefer them without the spring.  I think I'll give your method a try.  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 05:32:14 AM
Thank you for the info, Raven!

I will be curious to know how the peen job performs on the MP1. The MP1 has drop forged pliers, unlike any other MT I know of, which may hold the shape well. Hopefully!
If Gerber had decided not to spring load the pliers, this would not be a huge issue...  :facepalm:

Aside from the pliers, the MP1 seems pretty awesome considering the low weight for the size. Luckily, I have not had to add any washers yet on mine and the lock up is pretty on par with Gerber's other saf-t lock stuff. Not great, but far from bad. The G10 handles are pretty bad-a$$ as well!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 04:52:00 PM

I will be curious to know how the peen job performs on the MP1. The MP1 has drop forged pliers, unlike any other MT I know of, which may hold the shape well. Hopefully!
If Gerber had decided not to spring load the pliers, this would not be a huge issue...  :facepalm:

Aside from the pliers, the MP1 seems pretty awesome considering the low weight for the size. Luckily, I have not had to add any washers yet on mine and the lock up is pretty on par with Gerber's other saf-t lock stuff. Not great, but far from bad. The G10 handles are pretty bad-a$$ as well!

G10 scales look awesome on multitools. The ones on the Multitasker multitools look  :drool:  and they even have a nice pocket clip. I wish more tools had them  ::)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 05:12:46 PM
Here it is!  Gonna do a weeklong carry and test it out.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 02:05:54 AM

G10 scales look awesome on multitools. The ones on the Multitasker multitools look  :drool:  and they even have a nice pocket clip. I wish more tools had them  ::)
A pocket clip mod on the MP1 might be feasible, but it would impede one side of the locks. However,  my MP1 has very smooth locks, so it may be possible. Something to try next week! :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)
Such a beautiful MT! Please keep us informed on its' performance!  :popcorn:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 04:21:15 AM
Well this part seems to work well enough  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:26 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

beautiful pic and looking forward to the test!   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 09:48:54 PM
The Mp1 is made in China?...Not a Slam thought that One was made here in US.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:21 PM
The Mp1 is made in China?...Not a Slam thought that One was made here in US.

Dtrain

From what I remember the parts are made in china and they only claim "Assembled in the USA"
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 10:36:30 PM
The packaging mine came in said Global Materials and USA Labor. So, not technically 'made' overseas, but parts produced overseas. I believe ALL Gerber tools, except the Center Drive (100% usa made), are Global Material/USA Labor or are 100% made overseas. Even my new MP600 was made without USA on the handles, as are all their newest MP 400/600 stuff.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%