Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sad day at work

us Offline 4everYoung

Sad day at work
on: October 19, 2017, 01:37:52 AM
I just found out that the company I work for has now restricted our ability to carry a knife while on duty. It has been a "rule" for a while that you could have a knife but are not allowed to use it while on duty. However after some idiot sliced his hand open cutting a zip tie, the company has now issued a no carry rule. They issue us retractable box cutters that are considerably more dangerous to use because they are a awkward.
It's seems really sad to me to have to go to this extreme because of the ignorance of some.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Sad day at work
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:50:10 AM
Bummer !   :-[

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:25:41 AM
Would this include a Multi-tool?

I have work sites that restrict knives just as the TSA, with exception of utility knives. But, Certain Multi-tools are allowed.  Ex: SuperTool, Rebar, MP600, Diesel, ParaTool, MP400. No one hand openers. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 03:01:40 AM
Would this include a Multi-tool?

I have work sites that restrict knives just as the TSA, with exception of utility knives. But, Certain Multi-tools are allowed.  Ex: SuperTool, Rebar, MP600, Diesel, ParaTool, MP400. No one hand openers. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it includes all pockets knives, folding knives, multifunction tools such as leatherman.  That's the wording they use anyway. A bladeless tool is ok to have but you could not use it while on duty. Only allows use of approved tools.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:09:22 AM
Now that's a pretty dumb rule. I wouldn't even use a knife to cut a zip tie--I always use wire cutters for that.  I agree, box cutters are a bit more dangerous to use.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:15:05 AM
Um, 4ever...

Sorry to hear that. Only takes one guy. Let us know when you and your coworkers are finished with that rolled up bit of carpet.

What do you do for work, then?

A private company may, of course, impose any number of restrictions on the employees, contractors, and visitors, including going completely around the unreasonable search and seizure laws, so do be careful. We don't want you to get sacked for carrying an unauthorized SAK.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 03:21:13 AM
Yeah, I rarely would use a knife on zip-ties as well, but when I do, I try to follow that sage rule of thumb of cutting AWAY FROM yourself.

How old was this guy? First knife for him?

And I agree that box cutters are not the answer. Much thinner blade, which can shatter if torqued even a little.

I often just use PST players to remove zip-ties by grabbing the head and twisting. Or the Surge scissors.

Shame that they won't even let you use a bladeless Leatherman. Even the can opener would work for zip ties

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 03:45:58 AM
In all seriousness, I think I would have to start looking for a new Job.  I carry a minimun of two folders and an MT every day.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 03:53:11 AM
The problem is they see it as a weapon and not a tool :facepalm: Sorry to hear it buddy :-\

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 05:34:59 AM
Only takes one to ruin it for everyone sadly. My company has the same rule but they do not enforce it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:17 AM
I've cut a bunch of zip ties with my LM Squirts wire cutters.  I can totally understand the company but to issue a box cutter as a remedy?  Why not have someone more experienced teach a knife safety course? 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 07:26:40 AM
Utility knife hook blades work good on zip ties. Go for the heavy duty ones if you can find them.
Even the snap off hook ones are better than straight blades.

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:25 AM
If they can choose the utility knife rather than being issued a generic one.

I understand the company is trying to protect itself in some way but this sounds very counterintuitive and likely won't be very productive
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 09:39:08 AM
Just explain to them that a human without a knife is only an emasculated monkey...    :climber:  :multi:

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
They did a similar thing where I work a few years back. They banned the use all knives other than the self retracting utility knife they kept in the stores.  After getting almost 3 times the injuries with the recommended one they finally listened to us and removed the rule. If they had looked at the statistics properly they would have seen it was all non engineering the younger people cutting themselves, mainly because they weren't training them how to use knives properly like the engineering apprentices are taught.  Once this was brought to their attention many many times the powers that be finally listened and started training people again.  It amazing what can happen easily if you just train people.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 10:13:54 AM
We have a similar policy at work now too - no blades other than the company approved 'safety' knives. ::)

I've got a knifeless Rebar mod in my desk, and have sourced another for a cow-orker to use from Kirky.  Going to build a celidor cybertool/pliers/scissor thing to keep in my pocket too.

fr Offline Swisstof

• Passionné et collectionneur de multi tools
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
Les règles, les lois au travail il en faut, mais même sorti du travail je constate que dans beaucoup de pays les couteaux (même suisse) et les multifonctions deviennent interdit à porter ou à utiliser sauf chez soit ou en lieux privé !!!
Triste époque alors que les produits évoluent en sécurité, c'est l'humain qui est mis en cause avec le climat d'insécurité ambiant !!

Restons positif le site ou forum de partage est encore autorisé  :like:

it Offline balvenie

Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 01:04:19 PM
Can you say that in English please?
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 02:23:52 PM
Um, 4ever...

Sorry to hear that. Only takes one guy. Let us know when you and your coworkers are finished with that rolled up bit of carpet.

What do you do for work, then?

A private company may, of course, impose any number of restrictions on the employees, contractors, and visitors, including going completely around the unreasonable search and seizure laws, so do be careful. We don't want you to get sacked for carrying an unauthorized SAK.

I work for one of the 4 major railroads in the US. This is not by any stretch a strange rule or enough the dumbest for them. It's just the latest in an attempt to legally wash its hands of injuries.
At the railroad we do not have workers comp. if you get hurt you have to sue the company for coverage.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
If they can choose the utility knife rather than being issued a generic one.

I understand the company is trying to protect itself in some way but this sounds very counterintuitive and likely won't be very productive

You can not chose the tool you use. They issue you the tools you can use on duty. In  he case of the knife, it's a cheapo plastic retractable box cuter.
The knife really only has a purpose to open boxes or cut traction motor boots.
Cutting zip ties are to be done with a dedicated zip tie cutting tool.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:10 PM
absurd as always.
It' not the tool, but the ignorance.

And box cutters are way more dangerous for many tasks, they bend, shatter, break to pieces and slip easily on zip ties, and they make deep cuts.    :rant:
And as for the "weapon" idea, it was box cutters that the Terrorists used on the 2001 WTC attacks...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 03:50:54 PM
Large philips screwdrivers always looked like a good stabbing weapons to me. I vote we ban those!  :cheers:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 02:06:06 AM
Large philips screwdrivers always looked like a good stabbing weapons to me. I vote we ban those!  :cheers:

Weapons are the means by which one imposes their will upon another. Everything is a weapon. Fear of poverty is a large one, especially when leveraged into an instrument of torture and humiliation by the petty and those who are afraid of everyone more competent than they are.

I don't feel terribly welcome places where my knives aren't. It means you don't trust me and/or you think I"m an idiot child. When everyone thinks everyone else is an untrustworthy idiot, you don't have a civilization. We hide behind our culture, thinking that that is a key to civilization. What we don't remember, or have forbidden teaching, is that bacteria have culture to. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:09:04 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Sad Day at Work
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 05:30:34 PM
It's always fun and games until someone loses an eye. Or as I tell my cats as they destroy things in the house.. this is why we can't have nice things!!

People in my office saw my Spirit come out for use one day and asked twenty questions about it. Now when they need tools, they just look my way..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD