Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A good scare!

cbl51 · 33 · 1182

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
A good scare!
on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:03 PM
Yesterday morning about 5AM I woke up with chest pains and pain down both arms. Hell of a rude awakening!

Given my senior citizen age and mediacal history of a minor heart problem, I thought, "Oh smurfe, it's the big one". I got up and went to the bathroom and chewed up a couple aspirins, and woke up my better half. Karen asked me what was wrong, and all I could say to her, thinking each second may be my last, was "I love you."

Then I told her what was up and she started to throw on some clothes and call 911. The EMT's got there and at the ER they plugged me into machines that beeped and clicked. drew blood for tests and gave me a good going over that lasted for 4 hours.

Ends up it wasn't a heart attack, but a muscle spasm in my back between my shoulder blades that affected the nerve bundle in my chest and shoulders. A relief and a reminder to refrain from mountain biking at my age especially after not being on a bike for over 10 years.

BUT...do you know what went through my mind in those minutes between waking and the EMT's wheeling me out on a gurney?

I didn't think jack squat about my material things, and they all could have went right in the landfill right then for all I cared. All I thought about was, I hadn't told my wife of decades that I loved her yet that morning. I thought of my kids and grandkids that I wouldn't have the chance to say goodbye to. Knives, guns, all the 'stuff,' was just nothing. Less than nothing.

I've been heading in the direction of minimalism for years now, but After yesterday I think I'm really going to embrace it. I've learned that all the collections of whatever don't mean anything if you don't live like each day was your last, and let the people in your life know how much you love them and care about them. Material items don't mean Jack s--t and jack's on vacation in Vegas!

Just a thought after a heck of a scare.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: A good scare!
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:01:25 PM
That's a relief cbl  :cheers: Glad you have your priorities right! Would you like my address?  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:22:09 PM
That's a relief cbl  :cheers: Glad you have your priorities right! Would you like my address?  :D
:rofl:

But seriously, glad you're okay... and you bring up a good point.   I'm feeling like I have more SAKS than i can even enjoy. 
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:36:56 PM
You already have my address El-C  :D

All joking aside, I'm so glad for you cbl - It's when something like this happens that your priorities become clear.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:38:51 PM
Glad to hear it wasn’t the ole ticker.

I actually had a very similar experience recently. I had severe chest and arm pain and was taken to the ER immediately. While I was in the hospital hooked up to all the machines I could care less about all my material possetions including my knives and MT’s. They meant nothing to me and I would destroy them all just to make it through the night. It really changed the way I think about things and I ended up selling off a lot of my collection after that. I am going minimalistic now and couldn’t be happier. Less things to take care of, less tools to worry about rusting or cleaning or what have you. A experience like the one we had made me a better person and changed me forever.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:46:58 PM
Glad to hear it wasn’t the ole ticker.

I actually had a very similar experience recently. I had severe chest and arm pain and was taken to the ER immediately. While I was in the hospital hooked up to all the machines I could care less about all my material possetions including my knives and MT’s. They meant nothing to me and I would destroy them all just to make it through the night. It really changed the way I think about things and I ended up selling off a lot of my collection after that. I am going minimalistic now and couldn’t be happier. Less things to take care of, less tools to worry about rusting or cleaning or what have you. A experience like the one we had made me a better person and changed me forever.

That's what happened to me back in 2001. It caused me to do my fist big downsize of stuff, including knife collection and gun collection. The kids, gadnkids, a nephew and two nieces made out like bandits. I took huge pleasure in giving the stuff away while I was still alive to enjoy seeing them happy to get it and use it like it was intended, instead of safe queens.

This incident was like a reminder from the big guy upstairs. When you get to a certain point in life, it can end with no warning. I'm going to leave few personal items  behind. Life is easier when it's uncluttered. It was scary to think was going to be over in a few seconds. All that stuff we value doesn't mean anything.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:48:10 PM
Happy to hear your good news, cbl51!

I have been an athlete most of my life and have enjoyed years of martial arts along with the usual sports. I had a special love for basketball and at 6'7" with good leaping ability, was able to get my head within an inch of the rim. Time has caught up with me as I am also a senior citizen with 6 coronary stents, a couple of knee surgeries and my sports involvement is as a spectator from my recliner. :)

My wife indulges me and my hobbies wonderfully and I let her know how much I love her and how much she means to me several times throughout each day. We let our kids know how important they are to us and how much we love them and are still sending them Christmas packages and Easter baskets with both in their late 40s. Things are just things and can be replaced. They can enrich our lives but never replace what is most important in our lives.

Jim

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:48:35 PM
Glad to hear you are alright. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:03 PM
Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought, and a good reminder of what's really important!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:22:15 PM
Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought, and a good reminder of what's really important!

+1!
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 09:29:34 PM
Glad you're ok! :2tu:

Stay safe

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:47 PM
I am very great full you are doing better after the scare.

Keep those priorities in order, every day evaluate them, and if you miss something make up for it ASAP. 

I wish you many, many more sunrises with each being better than the previous one!  All the best.

PS: I really don’t need any more, BUT if you got any orange handled items I could be persuaded;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:59:56 PM
Phew! Glad to hear it's a false alarm Carl. Look after yourself buddy, and don't go silly on that bike. SAKs are a smurf of a lot easier to replace than cbl51s. :pok:

"Stuff" has zero value when you're about to check out, but can have immense value while your living. We only need to look back at the accounts of how you keep saving the day and helping your family out to know that.  :salute:

I think it's important to find the right balance for where you are in your life right now. 5 years ago, I genuinely needed WAY more "stuff" than I do right now. You might not be able to take it with you, but you can certainly have a lot of fun, and do a heck of a lot of good with it while you're here - and I hope to keep hearing your accounts of how you saved the day with your pocket knife for a few more decades yet my friend  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:01:44 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Tired_Yeti

A good scare!
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:37 AM
I'm glad to hear it was a skeletal muscle problem and not the cardiac muscle.
Thanks for taking to time to share a much needed wake up call to all of us. The luxury of materialism is a very First World problem and a huge waste of time and money. All of our "stuff" serves as a huge distraction from life more often than not.
I prefer to learn from other people's experiences. So thanks again for taking the time to share your epiphany with us.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:48:38 AM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 02:02:51 AM
Glad to hear it was a false alarm buddy :tu: I agree that a person needs to appreciate family and friends in this life and make sure they know it :like: Even if I acquire things in the now, the possessions are not what's important :tu: Never let possessions control your life and only do this (or any type of collecting) as a hobby as long as it makes you happy :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 02:49:26 AM
Phew CBL - Very happy for the outcome of your scare
And yes things like that do make you realise your priorities in life - Although I do agree with 50' too - It's important to enjoy yourself along the way, with hobbies, sport, maybe even work ???
As long as you know your top priorities - And these always have to be your loved ones.

Being frivolous for a moment - If I may
- This did remind me of a great quote from Bill Shankly - who was probably the Liverpool football (soccer) team's most famous manager (in the 70s I think)
The Liverpool supporters were/are some of the most fanatical in the UK, and Shankly was being asked about this in an interview and he said
Well yes - Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.
For football substitute your favourite obsession ... multitools   ???   ;) 

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 04:22:54 AM
Cbl 51,

From the mouths of babes comes truth. Them and those who think they may be shedding their mortal coil in mere minutes.

Good to hear all is well! Maybe ease into it next time, right? Not so much exertion all at once.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 04:54:22 AM
I'm happy to hear you're alright.  This brings up another issue that friends keep reminding me of.  If you have extensive collections of anything it might be a good idea to do a proper inventory including pictures of each item and each item's current market value so your loved ones will have an easier time liquidating the collections when you're gone rather than having to accept low ball bids from unscrupulous dealers and the collecting community simply because they don't know any better.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:08 PM
 :like:+1!!  Take care of yourself sir!  I had a similar scare a couple years ago and it sure puts things in perspective. 
Phew! Glad to hear it's a false alarm Carl. Look after yourself buddy, and don't go silly on that bike. SAKs are a smurf of a lot easier to replace than cbl51s. :pok:

"Stuff" has zero value when you're about to check out, but can have immense value while your living. We only need to look back at the accounts of how you keep saving the day and helping your family out to know that.  :salute:

I think it's important to find the right balance for where you are in your life right now. 5 years ago, I genuinely needed WAY more "stuff" than I do right now. You might not be able to take it with you, but you can certainly have a lot of fun, and do a heck of a lot of good with it while you're here - and I hope to keep hearing your accounts of how you saved the day with your pocket knife for a few more decades yet my friend  :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 12:44:46 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: Mags you never quit!!   :D
Barry

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:21 PM
Thanks for the message, I needed to hear it right now.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:20 PM
Muscle spasms during the night are always fun.  :drink:

I had a few. Although I have to report they completely failed to make me a better person so I remain a materialistic smurf.  :ahhh

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:06 PM
Glad your scare was nothing major  :tu:

now, have you told your wife you love her today?  :pok:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 03:14:14 PM
Thanks for the message and glad that you are ok!

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 03:31:17 PM
thank God you're stil here with us sharing your stories, Carl. I'm glad it was nothing major   :salute:
As for the "heads up" I can also relate. When I spent almost all September in the hospital I also forgot about my tools, the things I enjoyed every day and the hobby. Even the $1000 worth of stuff that they took from me upon being admitted in the ward was a far cry of anything relevant at the time.

Now that I am also better and this bad time is gone, I'd rather have the value of the items I got taken in cash than the things themselves, so that I can spend it in what's more important, and time with family and friends. I have enough toys to cover all the bases that those things took care of.

I hope you stay around even if you go to the "next level" of your minimalist approach in the near future.
best regards,

:tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 08:03:18 PM
thank God you're stil here with us sharing your stories, Carl. I'm glad it was nothing major   :salute:
As for the "heads up" I can also relate. When I spent almost all September in the hospital I also forgot about my tools, the things I enjoyed every day and the hobby. Even the $1000 worth of stuff that they took from me upon being admitted in the ward was a far cry of anything relevant at the time.

Now that I am also better and this bad time is gone, I'd rather have the value of the items I got taken in cash than the things themselves, so that I can spend it in what's more important, and time with family and friends. I have enough toys to cover all the bases that those things took care of.

I hope you stay around even if you go to the "next level" of your minimalist approach in the near future.
best regards,

:tu:

Yeah, sometimes nature can give us a wake up call to whats really important. Ironically, it was a scare years ago that started my first big downsize. I did have  small cardio issue and years ago I thought it was the big one. After, I sold off almost my whole collection of both guns and knives, spare power tools and all kinds of stuff. All the Randall knives went, the high end guns like Colt Python, and the money went to a second honeymoon With my better half. Tossed all the camping gear in the car and spent a month on the road visiting all the major national parks like Yellowstone, Custer, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyon lands, Mesa Verde. Had a ball and made memories that will be with me to my dying day. Watched the sun rise over the Grand Canyon and saw the blues and purples and reds of the canyon come alive in the rising sun.

Way way better than having some over priced over hyped knife in the safe at home.

Life is for living, not collecting  inanimate objects to obsess over. I know that now. From now on, I'm spending what time I have left to go ut and live life, and use the heck out of what I've got making new memories. If I have money for buying a new object, then that money is going to be spent going on a overnight trip getaway someplace to a Bed and Breakfast place with Karen. Maybe out to the Big Bend country, or Padre Island to the beach.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 09:37:22 PM
^^^^   ........ Yeah ........  :like:       ^^^^    :D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:31 PM
^^^^   ........ Yeah ........  :like:       ^^^^    :D

+1 
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 10:23:47 PM
In 2015 I had a couple of kidney stones travelling down from my kidney to my bladder while I was shopping with my wife. I was on my knees in the middle of a huge, over crowded German shopping mall, trying to behave normal. :cry:
Man, did it hurt! It hurt so much, I even wasn't able to tell my wife how much it hurt. She asked again and again if I would talk to her. Then suddenly I realized I had a kidney stone attack. It was the first time I experienced it, but I knew I would survive and that the excruciating pain would end within an hour or so. I grinned to my wife and used the F word may times. Luckily within half an hour I was on my feet again and we went to our hotel. A few month later the stones were removed.
During the attack I would have given all my knives if it had helped to stop the pain!!
As they say: "A healthy person has a 1000 wishes, a sick person only has one".

Collecting is a nice thing to do, as long as you remember it is probably the least important thing in you life.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 10:32:23 PM
As they say: "A healthy person has a 1000 wishes, a sick person only has one".

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44