Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend a smallish multitool/SAK

us Offline 4everYoung

Recommend a smallish multitool/SAK
on: October 20, 2017, 02:55:19 PM
I'm looking to lighten my carry a bit.  Currently in the small category I have a SAK Rambler that I EDC. I like the toolset but the blade is too small to be my dedicated blade.

My requirements:
Capable of hanging from a dangler
Must have a driver that works
Blade must open directly to the outside. (Not like the micra I don't like that style with a shorter blade.)
Bigger than a 58mm blade

My initial thoughts were an executive or cadet. I'm not too familiar with the less than 91mm lines tho. Possibly a squirt PS4.
Any ideas?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Recommend a smallish multitool/SAK
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:26:34 PM
Based off your requirements I'd like to suggest a 84mm SAK.  In the picture from Left to Right are LM Squirt P4, Classic, 84mm Cadet 2, 84mm Tinker, 91mm Explorer.  As you can see the Squirts blade isn't bigger than the Classics.  As compared to the 84mm however there is noticeable size difference and I can tell you noticeable cutting difference.  You may also know that I'm a huge fan of LM Squirt so initially my vote would be for it but wanting more blade I'd suggest an 84mm SAK.  The Cadet would make a good choice IMO vs the Excutive.  The driving capabilities are good on the Cadet 2 I have.  I like the Executive and its worth getting but its also got a specific tool set, its not for everyone.  With the Cadet or thin 84mm you get almost as much blade as a 91mm but as you can see in a smaller package.  The Cadet is thin which would make a nice carry.  I have a Bantam which is also thin but I'm just not the biggest fan of the combo tool.   There are a few single layer 84mm SAKs not much thicker than the Cadet that also might make a good choice.  The Apprentice for example while discontinued has both phillips on back and combo tool as drivers.  Good luck.   
IMG_3735.JPG
* IMG_3735.JPG (Filesize: 131.66 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:49 PM
I'm looking to lighten my carry a bit.  Currently in the small category I have a SAK Rambler that I EDC. I like the toolset but the blade is too small to be my dedicated blade.

My requirements:
Capable of hanging from a dangler
Must have a driver that works
Blade must open directly to the outside. (Not like the micra I don't like that style with a shorter blade.)
Bigger than a 58mm blade

My initial thoughts were an executive or cadet. I'm not too familiar with the less than 91mm lines tho. Possibly a squirt PS4.
Any ideas?

Leatherman Squirt PS4 is like ShortRound in Temple of Doom. Small, kicks a$$, and may be the best thing about that whole movie.

I got one for a friend to replace one he lost while working with me, and when I opened the box to check contents before gifting...I almost didn't want to give it away.

Really nice for such a small tool. Good plyers, nice spring action, good handles, all the tools just seem to work well.

Better plyers by far than the Tinker Deluxe, in case you are thinking that way.

If I ever downsize from my Surge/ Rebar rotation, I'm going with a PS4.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:21:00 PM by ThundahBeagle »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:26:43 PM
If you don't need scissors, something from the Victorinox 84mm range: Cadet, Recruit, small Tinker, Apprentice, Waiter... Take your pick.  If you want scissors then try one of the Delemont/ex-Wenger 85mm knives - Evogrip 14/16 etc.  If you want pliers then Leatherman Squirt PS4, though I find the chisel ground blade irritating.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 05:30:51 PM
Not to be contrarian towards my good friend, Aloha...although I have owned a Super Tinker since the 80's, I feel that Aloha has experienced a wider variety of SAK s, and I know nothing of the Cadet personally. His advice is always good...

However, I would like to state that the PS4 blade may actually be a little longer  than that of the Classic, and it is a much wider and sturdier blade for sure, sitting on a much  sturdier platform than the Classic.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 05:48:09 PM
Not to be contrarian towards my good friend, Aloha...although I have owned a Super Tinker since the 80's, I feel that Aloha has experienced a wider variety of SAK s, and I know nothing of the Cadet personally. His advice is always good...

However, I would like to state that the PS4 blade may actually be a little longer  than that of the Classic, and it is a much wider and sturdier blade for sure, sitting on a much  sturdier platform than the Classic.
I did for get to mention I have a modded leatherman style CS with pliers from a Gerber Dime. The chisel grind is annoying but the blade does seem to be more sturdy. I carried it in the scissors form everyday from r quite some time. I eventually damaged the scissors and then modded it. Now I just don't care for the Plier shape. So it doesnt see pocket time.
If leatherman made a style with pliers and knife if by that. But they don't. So I'm considering the squirt hard.
At the moment it's between the squirt, an executive and a cadet.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 05:49:29 PM
And I should mention that I will still be keeping my rambler on the keys. It's not going anywhere. I use the 3D Phillips, file and scissors too much to see it leave.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:23:45 PM
And I should mention that I will still be keeping my rambler on the keys. It's not going anywhere. I use the 3D Phillips, file and scissors too much to see it leave.

Great idea.  No need to ditch such a terrific SAK.  The idea behind my off day cary SAK ( 84mm Tinker ) was a blade large enough to work for most things I encounter.  I also like having the can opener and quite simply the tool set in total.  My LM Squirt P4 was chosen for pliers, file and over all "dirty job tool".  The tool as many will say punches well beyond it size.  Mine has earned a well respected spot in my carry.

I don't mind the 84mm Tinker width as its hand feel works for me.  The Cadet is thinner which for some is ideal.  The scissor dilemma is solved by your Rambler.           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:26 PM
You've got three good ideas of your own.  Some additional choices are, the previously mentioned Cadet, or another 84mm like a Waiter (1 layer) or Sportsman (2 layer).  You want small, but the 91mm Compact is also worth consideration (2 layer with "full size" scissors).
- Steve

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 05:27:01 PM
If you want the 3D Phillips, maybe a Vic Explorer is what you need. Super Tinker is pretty solid as well. Mrs. TJ has one and has put it through the ringer and it has always come back for more..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 08:00:59 PM
A lot of reasonable suggestions here. Personally, I went with the Classic/Rambler for a long, long time.
When I needed a larger blade, I went to the Cadet because it's slimmer than a Recruit/Tinker and the openers are reasonable drivers.
When I decided I needed scissors, I went to the 84mm Golfer.
Now that I don't dress as a professional (ie, suits), I'm carrying the 91mm Golfer/Compact or a SuperTinker more often, though on occasion I carry a Pioneer.
In my backpack/briefcase I always carry a small flashlight with either a Squirt PS4 or larger MUT based on what I'm doing.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:52 PM
I disassembled my Squirt ES4 to make a Style ES... now I really miss the squirt frame again  :facepalm:
The tinker small has an excellent set of drivers, mind.... especially if one replaces the backspring awl with a fine flathead  :drool:
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:36:12 AM
I've been doing some more thinking and I may be interested in  going with a small fixed blade to get the larger blade size and just sticking with my Rambler. Still tossing around ideas.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:21 AM
I've been doing some more thinking and I may be interested in  going with a small fixed blade to get the larger blade size and just sticking with my Rambler. Still tossing around ideas.

I like that idea too.  I carry a RAT3 when I feel the need for something more than a folder can handle.  If you are into neck knives I can highly suggest a CRKT Minimalist.  I have the Bowie version and rate this little knife high.  If you want you can also carry it on a belt as it has a belt clip.  Such a great little knife that can do the job with confidence.  There are some really nice budget fixed blades out there so have fun.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 06:58:53 AM

I like that idea too.  I carry a RAT3 when I feel the need for something more than a folder can handle.  If you are into neck knives I can highly suggest a CRKT Minimalist.  I have the Bowie version and rate this little knife high.  If you want you can also carry it on a belt as it has a belt clip.  Such a great little knife that can do the job with confidence.  There are some really nice budget fixed blades out there so have fun.

Pretty funny you mention the CRKT minimalist. That is in fact what I ordered. I bought the wharncliffe version. I've been eyeing it for a while but locally all I could find was the Bowie version. I like the wharncliffe style tho.
I found it really hard to find a decent fixed blade knife that I liked. This seemed to tick most all of my boxes.
Will see how it goes once it arrives. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:43 AM
I've seen them at Lowes.  Its really a great little knife.  Mine sees a lot of carry time when I'm camping.  I did carry it often around home when I first got it.  Sure is easy to use and makes quick work of all those chores we use a knife for.  Many' wait to see what you think when it arrives and you have some time with it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 09:41:58 AM
Trying out a bantam, waiter, or recruit would be super cheap....

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 06:30:53 PM

Pretty funny you mention the CRKT minimalist. That is in fact what I ordered. I bought the wharncliffe version. I've been eyeing it for a while but locally all I could find was the Bowie version. I like the wharncliffe style tho.
I found it really hard to find a decent fixed blade knife that I liked. This seemed to tick most all of my boxes.

my favorite Minimalist is the Wharncliffe! I sold the Tanto and my Bowie sees little  use,

burt I got 2 Wharncliffes and the two are still kickin' hard! Love them, I'm sure you will too  :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 12:44:24 AM

my favorite Minimalist is the Wharncliffe! I sold the Tanto and my Bowie sees little  use,

(Image removed from quote.)

burt I got 2 Wharncliffes and the two are still kickin' hard! Love them, I'm sure you will too  :tu:

The one in the lady pic appears to have seen a lot of use. That's promising!

I'm hoping this goes. Better than the previous times I've tried carrying a fixed blade. I'm optimistic about the ability to carry it horizontally vs vertically.

How's the edge retention on the knife?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 04:36:21 PM

The one in the lady pic appears to have seen a lot of use. That's promising!

I'm hoping this goes. Better than the previous times I've tried carrying a fixed blade. I'm optimistic about the ability to carry it horizontally vs vertically.

How's the edge retention on the knife?

TBH, it's quite poor, compared to modern steels, but extremely easy to strop back, sharpen up or just tinker with. Any ceramic, stone, diamond or even a coffee mug/tile will do      :tu:

if you like Vic's steel, 420HC or AUS6, you'll like it
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 04:47:23 PM
Good call ThePeacent,  the steel used on the Minimalist is 5Cr15Mov stainless steel.  It may not hold an edge like newer steels however mine came very sharp and I've not had any trouble stropping it back sharp again.  My way of thinking about such steels is comparable to our beloved SAKs.  I'm not terribly worried if it doesn't hold an edge as compared to say, S30V so long as I can get that edge back easily.  For what I consider the role of this small fixed blade I'd say you will have no trouble with edge retention nor getting the edge back. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:56:59 PM
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I like the SAK steel. It is very easily maintained in my opinion. Guess I'll find out more as it should be here tomorrow.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 04:54:00 PM
Got the minimalist yesterday. Plan to do a 30 day challenge to better acquaint myself with carrying a small fixed blade.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 07:01:33 PM
Got the minimalist yesterday. Plan to do a 30 day challenge to better acquaint myself with carrying a small fixed blade.

looking 4ward 4 it, 4ever!    :salute:
My toys:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:42 AM
The Minimalist is a little-big knife, functions way out of its weight class in my opinion, mostly because most of what is in that class is folders. I have both the clip/"bowie" and the warncliffe- the warncliffe is easy to sharpen, the clip is more versatile. I do like the bowie's sheath better, though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:19:02 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 02:06:11 PM
The Minimalist is a little-big knife, functions way out of its weight class in my opinion, mostly because most of what is in that class is folders. I have both the clip/"bowie" and the warncliffe- the warncliffe is easy to sharpen, the clip is more versatile. I do like the bowie's sheath better, though.

Yeah the bowie has a nice belly, but for that size of blade I generally prefer a wharnie
curiously enough the Bowie doesn't have a specific sheath, they (CRKT) used the Tanto's sheath for it, but it is a perfect match...
That's a pretty well thought out design   :ahhh
My toys:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:48 PM
Little big knife is right.  I enjoy a fixed blade for simplicity.  I wished here in Cali I could carry one concealed.  We have to have it fully exposed which is not terrible but for a small knife like this a bit lame.  These little knives are really well thought out IMO. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD