Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I love old school Leatherman...

NetsNJ · 31 · 1300

us Offline NetsNJ

Why I love old school Leatherman...
on: October 21, 2017, 09:18:31 PM
The incredible tool density and simplicity.  The elegant tools for a more civilized age.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Why I love old school Leatherman...
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:26:23 PM
 :like: :like: I agree!!!  :multi:
Barry

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:33:34 PM
What, no Mini Tool?

:like:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:39:43 PM
What, no Mini Tool?

:cry: I know. I don't have one.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:54:11 PM
 :drool:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 09:55:13 PM
What, no Mini Tool?

Not much tool density in a Mini  :pok:

:D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:27:00 PM
The incredible tool density and simplicity.  The elegant tools for a more civilized age.

100 percent agree. The build quality of the older ones is superb - it blew me away when i got a PST a few weeks ago. Like you say "for a more civilized age".

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 10:45:15 PM
What, no Mini Tool?

Not much tool density in a Mini  :pok:

:D

Yes but it's a  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I also do love old school LM :dd: :like:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:27:15 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 01:30:00 AM
Nice pics Nets NJ!

I like old school too.   :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 01:42:14 AM
Indeed. It is the tool of a Jedi. I want my little one to have mine when he's old enough. I hope his uncle allows it. Late for an appointment at the temple. Ciao.

Fuzz beat me to expounding on the reference to which Nets was pointing.

The old schools are the best. Polished, less prone to rust. Less complicated. Seems like fewer quality control issues.

Like you, NETS, I am sans MiniTool. I'm on the watch for one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:44:06 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:20:40 AM
Old school Leatherman, such a simpler time.  Simple straight forward tools.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 05:44:08 PM
my true love are old school SOGs, but Leatherman's oldies are also pieces of beautiful, trustworthy and simply functional tools
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 02:03:58 AM
Indeed. The older LMs seem to be better tools overall. When I decided to make a blunt nose LM, I went with a supertool200 instead of a newer model. I am not really fond of the replaceable cutters anymore after realizing a good condition old school LM plier head cutter will outlast several of the new replacement inserts. :tu:
The PST and st/st200 are just fantastic. The crunch is another superb tool for what it is.
And Peacent, I had no idea how good the older sogs were until I got the power plier.  Six tools per handle and rides the belt like a much smaller tool. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 04:12:49 AM
Indeed. The older LMs seem to be better tools overall. When I decided to make a blunt nose LM, I went with a supertool200 instead of a newer model. I am not really fond of the replaceable cutters anymore after realizing a good condition old school LM plier head cutter will outlast several of the new replacement inserts. :tu:
The PST and st/st200 are just fantastic. The crunch is another superb tool for what it is.
And Peacent, I had no idea how good the older sogs were until I got the power plier.  Six tools per handle and rides the belt like a much smaller tool. :cheers:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 04:19:17 AM
Most of my Leatherman are old school. I do have one newer, and brand new, and they have  some plusses. The newer cutouts on ST300 and Rebar are advantageous. Locks. There's a lot to like. More to like about the full polished, simple, quality oldies.

Got an old SOG Power Lock (?) BO EOD In my hands for the first time yesterday. It had been to Afghanistan and back at least twice and looked like it. But there was a certain quality to it that was undeniable

My interests are expanding to the Power Lock and Pro Scout realms

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 04:34:41 AM

Haha I don't mind the replaceable cutters. The deal breaker for me is those stupid bit exchangers.  They are bulky and short and don't really add any flexibility over just having nice Phillips and flat head integrated drivers.  At the point where you are carrying extra bits you are better off just having a square Phillips shank and a bit adapter that takes regular hex bits.  These drivers ruin the new wave for me.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 05:42:19 AM

Haha I don't mind the replaceable cutters. The deal breaker for me is those stupid bit exchangers.  They are bulky and short and don't really add any flexibility over just having nice Phillips and flat head integrated drivers.  At the point where you are carrying extra bits you are better off just having a square Phillips shank and a bit adapter that takes regular hex bits.  These drivers ruin the new wave for me.
I have been apathetic to the bit exchanger, but do wish they had developed something that would have allowed for a longer bit to be stored within the handle and not in the sheath. The newer dedicated phillips drivers since 2004 or so has been very good though(think core, st300, fuse, blast, rebar, etc).  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 07:24:34 AM

Nets, the bit exchangers are my least liked part of the tool. If I could say I loathed any single development of the Leatherman tools, it would be that blasted bit exchanger. Yes, they are fatter and shorter than dedicated drivers. Yes, we have to carry extra bits with them. But the worst part about it for me is the inherent fallibility of the component.

One could drop the bit. Worse still, the spring could dislodge, and then, no number of bit cards make that thing usable until you get a new spring. Who needs that hassle?

I feel the same way when working on my truck. One of my Craftsman tool sets has a bit driver. If I'm lowering the shaft of a bit driver into the engine compartment, I sure don't want that bit tip slipping out and - at best - making me have to get under there to pick it up.

Sure don't need it happening in that sort of emergency use situation where a multitool should be saving the day rather than failing.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 02:20:53 PM
I'm with you guys on the dedicated drivers over the bit holder.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 03:05:00 PM
See, I'm the opposite i quite like the bit holder, it's one of the few things i like about the newer leathermans - it must be something to do with the work i do. Mind you, saying that, i do acnowledge that the design is "slightly" flawed in that it could come apart with too much torq, but then again a dedicated driver would shatter too eventually. I once had a massive Quebecan with equally massive paws use my wave with a hex bit in the holder trying to free a fused machine screw... that didn't end well!!!

I'm with gerleatherberman re. the replaceable cutters - i don't like them at all - both the Rebars i had had a tendancy to jam (they pivoted on the screw) at inopportune moments.

...await incoming...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 06:26:20 PM
ok, maybe I'm getting bashed by saying this but...

- I don't like the new bit driver at all
- I don't like the replaceable wire cutters (my Surge is the one without them even though I could've gotten a new one for the same $)
- I prefer the thinner profiles of old LM
- my favourite LM are all old-timers (Crunch, Micra, Squirt P4, Blast)

so, all in all, I am really biased towards olders Leatherman', as happens with old SOG tools and Gerbers
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:57 PM
Soo ... i'm lone wolf here  :-\
I just LOVE new Leatherman's design

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 05:50:15 AM
I wouldn't say that Vjeko. I have a Blast that I really love the tool set. A Surge, which encompasses everything I hate about the newer designs, yet I love it. And I have a new Rebar. Old school design, but new. Been carrying that at work since I got it.

Carry the Surge when walking the dog late at night, and for weekend projects.

I think what us old school fans miss is what we see as elegant simplicity, functionality, and excellent quality.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 12:41:05 PM
Nope not alone :salute: I like the new designs about equally to the old designs :tu: They both have plus and minuses :cheers: I do like most LM though and that is why I have so many I guess :facepalm: :D

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 09:17:28 PM
my true love are old school SOGs

The old USA sogs were great, great tools.  Paratool tool-density rivals old school leatherman.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 02:34:03 AM
Great pic of those old school SOGs :like: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 05:04:04 AM
Nice group, nets! I have a similar group of old school SOGs, minus the cross cut.
I have a cross-cut, but it is the newer lesser quality one. :cry:
Here are pics of my old school LM and old school SOG stuff. :)
20171029_225002-1.jpeg
* 20171029_225002-1.jpeg (Filesize: 100.93 KB)
20171029_225840-1.jpeg
* 20171029_225840-1.jpeg (Filesize: 127.29 KB)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 05:17:55 AM
None collections!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 02:11:08 PM
aaand even though this is Leatherman's subforum, yet another group pic of good trusty SOGs     :D

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%