Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any PowerPlier Experts out there?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Any PowerPlier Experts out there?
on: October 22, 2017, 05:58:12 AM
Found a neat thing in a box of junk a guy brought into the store today. He knows I like MTs and made sure I got first dibs. It was a SOG powerplier. By the MT wiki, it has the version 1&2 toolset, but a version 3 plier head. I may be mistaken, but it seems to be in between a version 2 & 3. It supposedly was never used, which from inspection, seems true. It has absolutely no signa of use anywhere.
I kind of knew what the value was, so I offered $25. A bit less than ebay, but it did not have a sheath. Anyway, first thing I did when I got home was check the MT.org wiki and found the tool was probably a hodgepodge that SOG made to use up old parts or something. Not really sure though. I liked it and am happy with adding it to my meager SOG MT collection.
It has the 1" blade, robertson driver, and chisel with the standard stuff.

ONE LAST THING. I may be overlooking something, but it does not appear to be an introduction date for the powerplier on the MT wiki or anywhere else I could find. I would love to know the year that SOG released these for my big 1990s MT comparison I have been and will be working on. Is this a 1990s tool?

The quality is superb, just like other early SOG lovers have said. The file actually works as well. :P

Pics below with tools out for review and hanging with some other SOGs. :multi:
20171021_221325.jpeg
* 20171021_221325.jpeg (Filesize: 57.54 KB)
20171021_221229-1.jpeg
* 20171021_221229-1.jpeg (Filesize: 105.41 KB)
20171021_220441-1.jpeg
* 20171021_220441-1.jpeg (Filesize: 132.64 KB)
20171021_220354-1.jpeg
* 20171021_220354-1.jpeg (Filesize: 74.49 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Any PowerPlier Experts out there?
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:37:44 PM
I've got 3 of them, all different, but all nice!     :salute:
It's one of the sturdiest and more robust tools out there that I've tried, when you squeeze them real hard they feel as they'd take more punishment than most LM, SOG and Gerber that I've had
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:41 PM
I've got 3 of them, all different, but all nice!     :salute:
It's one of the sturdiest and more robust tools out there that I've tried, when you squeeze them real hard they feel as they'd take more punishment than most LM, SOG and Gerber that I've had
I understand what you mean now. Seriously robust feeling. They make the powerassist and powerplay feels kind of toyish in comparison.  :cheers:
They probably would take more punishment! I only get a hair of handle when I squeezed fairly hard. On my powerassist, the backs of the blades touch the back of the opposite handle when squeezed hard.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:14:02 PM
First off, congratulations on your new tool, those old SOG's are real tanks, and are quite unique.

ONE LAST THING. I may be overlooking something, but it does not appear to be an introduction date for the powerplier on the MT wiki or anywhere else I could find. I would love to know the year that SOG released these for my big 1990s MT comparison I have been and will be working on. Is this a 1990s tool?

The PowerPliers introduction date is not listed  because nobody is quite sure when it was introduced. We know it was before 1998, because that's when it's replacement, the PowerLock was introduced. We also know that the SOG ToolClip was their first multitool, introduced in 1991. If we assume that the Paratool (1992) also predates the PowerPlier (which I believe is does, as the design evolution of ToolClip>ParaTool>PowerPlier seems to make the a lot of sense), Then we can narrow down the PowerPlier's introduction somewhere from 1993 to 1997 (likely 1993 IMO). Finding the actual year of introduction would probably require hunting down physical copies of SOG's mid 90's catalogs, which predate widespread use of the internet, and are therefore not easily found.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:15:10 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:58:28 PM
the thread made me feel nostalgic of my PP, so today it's in my belt sheath    :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:49:56 AM
First off, congratulations on your new tool, those old SOG's are real tanks, and are quite unique.

The PowerPliers introduction date is not listed  because nobody is quite sure when it was introduced. We know it was before 1998, because that's when it's replacement, the PowerLock was introduced. We also know that the SOG ToolClip was their first multitool, introduced in 1991. If we assume that the Paratool (1992) also predates the PowerPlier (which I believe is does, as the design evolution of ToolClip>ParaTool>PowerPlier seems to make the a lot of sense), Then we can narrow down the PowerPlier's introduction somewhere from 1993 to 1997 (likely 1993 IMO). Finding the actual year of introduction would probably require hunting down physical copies of SOG's mid 90's catalogs, which predate widespread use of the internet, and are therefore not easily found.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for this! I had figured it was the 90s, but didn't realize it may be that early. Very cool! It is a very robust feeling tool for sure. Taking that into account, SOG was an industry leader in MTs back then. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:52:55 AM
the thread made me feel nostalgic of my PP, so today it's in my belt sheath    :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice! The compound pliers of these older SOGs seem much stronger than the newer tools. That is speculation on my part though. The PP I bought is mint, so it won't be getting a lot of use, but I do intend on carrying it for a few days to add to my 1990s MT write up notes I am working on.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:46:09 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this! I had figured it was the 90s, but didn't realize it may be that early. Very cool! It is a very robust feeling tool for sure. Taking that into account, SOG was an industry leader in MTs back then. :)
Sure thing! Leatherman really jump started the industry with the PST in 1983, but things didn't really start happening until SOG introduced the ToolClip, and Gerber the Multi-Plier in 1991. Once that happened, lots of companies really started innovating. SOG's & Gerbers biggest problem was that Leatherman already had a huge market share and a good reputation by the mid 90's. Gerber got around this by aggressively pursuing US military contracts,even winning a bid for a contract that described the Leatherman PST in all but name with their MPT. SOG had no such luck, and has become something of a black sheep of the three.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:19:00 PM

Sure thing! Leatherman really jump started the industry with the PST in 1983, but things didn't really start happening until SOG introduced the ToolClip, and Gerber the Multi-Plier in 1991. Once that happened, lots of companies really started innovating. SOG's & Gerbers biggest problem was that Leatherman already had a huge market share and a good reputation by the mid 90's. Gerber got around this by aggressively pursuing US military contracts,even winning a bid for a contract that described the Leatherman PST in all but name with their MPT. SOG had no such luck, and has become something of a black sheep of the three.
Very cool info there! Thank you!
The only tool I don't have from that era is the tool clip, but those seem to be unobtainable right now. Maybe I'll run across one someday.
The tools from that era I do have are the LM PST, Gerber MultiPlier, Gerber MPT, SOG Paratool, and SOG PowerPlier. The three best tools as far as plier comfort is concerned are the SOG PP, SOG Paratol, and Gerber Multiplier.  IMHO.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:24 PM

TBH it feels both sturdier and more comfortable in the hand than the Surge (blasphemy, blasphemy!  :ahhh)

My toys:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 02:32:07 AM

TBH it feels both sturdier and more comfortable in the hand than the Surge (blasphemy, blasphemy!  :ahhh)

(Image removed from quote.)
Can't agree on the Surge point, but hand shape would play a big role in that as well! It does feel like a rock when squeezing though. A truly robust tool! I personally like the Surge shape better, but considering the time the PP came out, it was the best ergonomic design of the time.
The USA powerlock I ordered came in today, but needs som TLC before trying it out. That may be the Surge's SOG competition for me personally. All in all, everyone needs a SOG USA made MT in their collection. Well worth having! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%