Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The perfect Spyderco for me.....?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
The perfect Spyderco for me.....?
on: October 23, 2017, 10:38:43 AM
Some of you may know that I've been itching to buy a Spyderco Atlantic Salt.

Technically I've wanted it since the first time I've held it in my hand, but price is the issue.  I would be getting it cheap (old stock with discount), but it's still a lot of money.

Since I made many ill-informed knife purchases and circumstances have changed considerably leaving me with a few regrets, I've held back on this purchase and questioned my motivations.....

I'm looking for my ultimate EDC knife, I'm a creature of habit so despite having options, the Byrd Meadowlark 2 has become a default.

I want something more than the Byrd, despite the fact that it's been perfect so far.

I have 2 non-negotiables: Price - I'm not going to put down a number since my currency is worth nothing and I have a single source to buy from.  Lock - Must be lock-back or axis-lock.

Also have to mention I carry in pocket, not clipped.

Here are some of the models that I like and have been looking at:
Atlantic Salt
Pacific Salt
Salt 1
Delica
Endura
Manix
Native 5
Stretch

After locking mechanism I focused very heavily on ergonomics since that's what made me fall in love with the Atlantic Salt.  The lack of the finger choil area eliminates all except the Atlantic, Manix and Native.
BUT......
I realised recently that I almost never cut using the hammer grip, all those wonderful ergos go out the window when I'm holding the knife clinched in four finger cutting an apple....cutting towards my thumb, yes, that's how I do it every day.......

Next issue would be the fact that I much prefer a narrower knife, much as the Manic is one of my favourite Spyderco knives, that broad leaf shape blade makes for a bulky knife in the pocket.

A preference I'm flexible on is the handle, I would prefer a linerless plastic handle.

Size.........I think the Atlantic is a bit too long.........same might be true for the Endura.

This brings me full circle back to a Delica, Pacific or Salt 1.

Considering the performance of the 8cr13 I don't really need anything better, the H1 is attractive because it's something different, VG10 will be a nice upgrade and more than sufficient.

I do have a gripe about the Delica's price, can't help but feel there should be a bigger jump to the Endura...

I'm not asking for advice, I'm a knife nut with no hope left, spiraling down to my next purchase like an addict to the next fix, I only ask for your empowering statements, and as always you are most welcome to point out failings in logic and suggest alternatives  :cheers:

:facepalm:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The perfect Spyderco for me.....?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:58:50 AM
As i'm in the UK most of the Spydercos I have or have had have been slipies, which is not much help to you.
However, I really do like the look and feel of the Native 5 and have often thought of getting the cheaper lightweight version and then maybe getting some custom scales made for it at a later date.

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:55 PM
I feel for you Brits........

Two more that are most likely missing from my list due to price: Sage 3 & 4

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:39 PM
Damn it i really want a Native now - I've just been googling custom ones - see what you've done!!!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:14:06 PM
My personal hell is having a friend who's an agent at a company that distributes Spyderco.....

He visits a few times a year, at the same event taking place next weekend, last year, he had 3 high-end Spydercos clipped in each pocket, by the time I was done fondling about 6 months worth of salary I could barely talk....... :ahhh

I plan to have several beers and a long talk with him next weekend, whatever I buy will be supplied by his company anyway.

From my list the only ones I've had in hand are the Atlantic, an Endura and the Manix LW with the see-through blue handle.

Not really the right way to buy a knife...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 03:46:50 PM
you know my recommendation...
3 years and it still kicks out every other folder as my main EDC

AWESOME steel, excellent ergis and lock, blade shape and ultra light weight, thin and very nice clipped or without clip, takes a beating, can't rust, won't chip under abuse, minimal maintenance...   :tu:

I own 4 of them, it's the only knife I've got so many versions of
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:12:32 PM
If the price is an issue, wich it seems, the Delica is hard to beat. Its excellent value for money.
That beeing said, I do prefer my Native over my Delica.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:19:45 PM
I've got 2 Delcas and 1 Native.  I find the Delica to be more to my liking.  I made a comment wanting the Delica to include better steel options ( I know sprint runs exits ) but the VG10 sharpens up nicely and has performed excellent for me.  Good luck with your choice. 

If money was no object I'd like to try both the Spyderco Slysz Bowie and SpydieChef.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:04:24 AM

Since I had my ergos epiphany the Pacific is definitely on the list, recommendation noted  :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:21:06 PM

Since I had my ergos epiphany the Pacific is definitely on the list, recommendation noted  :salute:

you might guess from my Spydie collection pic that the Salts (the Pacific especially) are my favorite Spydies... :D

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 08:43:35 PM

you might guess from my Spydie collection pic that the Salts (the Pacific especially) are my favorite Spydies... :D

...and serrations!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 09:02:46 AM
Well......turns out the answer surprised me slightly....

I went to the event  yesterday fully expecting to buy the Atlantic, and there on the little display sits the Salt 1.....

Consider what I said about the Byrd I've been EDC'ing.......and let the pictures do the talking:  :salute:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:05:08 AM by Gerhard Gerber »

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 09:09:06 AM

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:06 AM
I got it at cost, and yes I know the Salt 2 is out.

I went to a BBQ last night, ended up cutting the taster fillet steak and connected with the fork.......which messed up that piece of edge at the tip a bit.

Easy to fix, and the H1 was immediately sharp again.....

Very light knife = the right knife, very happy with my decision and purchase.

One criticism only......no idea why but it sounds dinky when putting the knife down.......like it's not properly put together....which is absolutely not the case.....

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 11:14:15 AM
Ohhh...well done - lovely knife... looks like you're one happy bunny now!!!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 02:17:05 PM
Nice!  :like:

Congrats on your new Spydie! :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 02:32:33 PM

Thanks  :cheers: ....you started this  :pok:
 :gimme:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:30 PM
Glad to see you got a knife that you will enjoy GG :salute: :like: :like: It seems you have found the style you like and that will definitely be a plus with carrying it :cheers:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 03:23:53 PM
 :like:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 04:51:23 PM
Funny thing, I was cleaning and lubing the Byrd when I realised there was rust in the pivot area......

I rinse the knife every day and since it cuts my apple I don't lube it.........size is perfect, H1 is perfect.

Even figured out the "dinky" sound comes from the Titanium pocket clip  :rofl:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 05:50:35 PM

Thanks  :cheers: ....you started this  :pok:
 :gimme:

A fine bunch of enabelers we are :D

us Offline David

Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 06:10:21 PM
Gerhard glad your happy with the Salt I.   :tu:      :like:       I have one that I had Tom Krein regrind. It now has a full flat grind and a sharper point. It is a real slicer.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 06:27:18 PM
Byrds and Salts, my favorite Spydercos.
Salt I is nice, especially for blade-length restricted areas and indoors use. I am partial to a longer blade (Pacific Salt) but my Salt I gets some carry when I'm in the city or urban environments, it just looks friendlier. Much like the DF2

H1 is absolutely fantastic for its rust-proof characteristics and how easy it is to unbend (if you roll it), reshape (if you break it) and resharpen (if you dull it). It's super tough and flexible, thing I appreciate on a folder that can be abused on occasion. The colour is very easy to spot on and quite non-aggressive looking

I've also put them through the dishwasher and no problems at all. It's also incredible the light weight and slimness they have for the blade length and sturdiness they provide.  I'm glad you got it and i'm sure you'll enjoy it for years!   :salute:
My toys:

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:57 AM
Gerhard glad your happy with the Salt I.   :tu:      :like:       I have one that I had Tom Krein regrind. It now has a full flat grind and a sharper point. It is a real slicer.

Hi David

We were discussing how useless hollow grinds are while I was buying the knife!  :rofl:

Love the knife already, already wish it was FFG  :facepalm:

Was yours PE or SE before the re-grind?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 01:57:21 PM

Hi David

We were discussing how useless hollow grinds are while I was buying the knife!  :rofl:

Love the knife already, already wish it was FFG  :facepalm:

Was yours PE or SE before the re-grind?

hopefully LC200N steel will open a world of FFG rust proof folders made by Spyderco in the next years, the Caribbean being the first one   :salute:
My toys:

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 06:52:41 AM

hopefully LC200N steel will open a world of FFG rust proof folders made by Spyderco in the next years, the Caribbean being the first one   :salute:

Well thank you for putting that on my radar......I think  :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 11:21:46 AM

Well thank you for putting that on my radar......I think  :facepalm:

LC200N beats H1 in edge retention in Plain Edge by a mile, so seems a promising choice for PE knives in a totally rust proof format        :tu:

after this thread I went straight to get my Salt I and carry it, just because I love rotating between my toys. My two favorite 3" folders, of all brands, most probably are these two Salts       

My toys:

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 02:19:13 PM
The Tasman suddenly makes sense  :tu:

My buddy had a purple FFG Endura with his Kydex "rhino horn" wave opener fitted to the hole.......and now I have Endura dreams  :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 09:17:48 PM
did you use it to carve your Pumpkin?   :cheers:

My toys:

us Offline David

Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:02 AM

Good looking Salt I. How you like the serrations?
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD