Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The perfect Spyderco for me.....?

us Online David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The perfect Spyderco for me.....?
Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 06:20:48 AM
Gerhard glad your happy with the Salt I.   :tu:      :like:       I have one that I had Tom Krein regrind. It now has a full flat grind and a sharper point. It is a real slicer.

Hi David

We were discussing how useless hollow grinds are while I was buying the knife!  :rofl:

Love the knife already, already wish it was FFG  :facepalm:

Was yours PE or SE before the re-grind?

Sorry for the late reply. The Salt I I had reground was PE to start with. Here's a couple pics of how it looks now.
SaltI 002.JPG
* SaltI 002.JPG (Filesize: 93.32 KB)
SaltI 010.JPG
* SaltI 010.JPG (Filesize: 93.72 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 06:41:36 AM
Thanks David......looks great.  :tu:

Figured you started with a PE, been ogling mine and you'd loose a lot of blade when you start grinding on a SE......

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 02:13:30 PM
My thoughts so far.......

As mentioned ad nauseam  I hate hollow grinds, that's where you end up with something scary sharp but you can't properly cut an apple  :facepalm:

Glad to report the H1 cuts my apple rather than splitting it, I guess the blade stock is think enough.

H1.............I already love H1 in a very unbrotherly way!  >:D

Size is perfect, and the weight!  :ahhh

To be honest I always thought brother Nutn was a bit FOS about weight, but I get what he's saying perfectly.

I have no concerns about strength, personally I don't understand why most knives aren't built this way.

Also saw a video explaining the washer-less setup in the KABAR Dozier that further strengthens the argument.
 :like: 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 01:19:19 AM
Well this happened because of this thread :facepalm: My Endura now has a friend :D

1110171328 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 01:27:45 AM
Nice Poncho !   :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 01:40:59 AM

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 09:55:38 AM
Well this happened because of this thread :facepalm: My Endura now has a friend :D

:cheers:

The Salt 1 convinced me I need more.....more lightness, more super steels!  :rofl:

This is by necessity a very distant purchase,  but since I might need to reserve the one option I've been toooooo'ing and frooooooooo'ing and watching many many more Youtube videos than is healthy, and I came to the following conclusions:

Pacific Salt with PE will be next.......  :gimme:

Until I spotted the rivet  :facepalm:

I love the LW Manix 2, but I struggle with the concept of riveted construction..... :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 12:20:01 PM
No different than a pin to me :shrug: There are many knives bulit with pins and all the ones I have had and do have are still in great shape in that aspect  :tu: So I wouldn't worry to much about a rivet ;) :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:55 AM
I know......but I'm a control freak......normal screw pivot = control!  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 02:01:24 PM
I might have a problem  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:45 PM

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:45 PM
March 2018 it will be mine  :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:53 PM
Manix 2 Backlock...like it, but much prefer the M2 Lightweight and all Manix with FRCP handles, waaay lighter and very good reminders of the Salt's low weight

the CTS-BD1 of them is also good at corrosion resistance and a breeze to sharpen, actually quite similar to H1.
But can't go wrong with any Spydie!!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 08:37:04 AM
But can't go wrong with any Spydie!!  :tu:

Things is I had....and still have a few choices.......4 crushing months till I get it.  :facepalm:

Southard flipper, the brown G10, used but good as new.  No to the bearings and frame lock

Stretch 2 LW British Racing Green with ZDP 189.  This is the one  that bothers me most.....

Caly 3 with beautiful green G10 and HAP40.  If it was a 3.5 this would be the one......

Manix 2 in blue with S110V......it has steel liners  :facepalm:

After elimination round I basically choose from these:

Manix backlock S30V
Stretch 2 LW BRG ZDP189
.....and the stick in the spokes that remains:
SpydieChef  :facepalm:

I don't like frame locks, but considering why I want to buy another one and my parameters, the SpydieChef really bothers me......

Now to the Manix  :salute:

I like back locks, and this one is smooth.
S30V is probably in the lower racks of the super steels, but still nothing to be sneezed at.....
The thick G10 looks really good to me, and they're liner less so that's a great start.
Upsized hardware but still a middleweight knife.
Very very Spyderco.......much more so than the SpydieChef, which is always a good thing  :salute:

I liked the Salt 1 so much I basically decided I need something larger, colourful light weight handle and a super steel.

Well aware I'm missing my own brief on a few points, but when I see the youtubers handling that backlock Manix it just looks more right than anything else to my eye  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: December 08, 2017, 12:02:39 PM
You are a bad influence on me :ahhh :D I always end up looking at the knives you mention :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:25 PM
this one is still the perfect one for me, and I'll keep recommending it!
Especially now that they're changing its handles from the E3 template to the E4 design   :ahhh

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:20 PM
You are a bad influence on me :ahhh :D I always end up looking at the knives you mention :facepalm:

Well, with permission......don't listen to me  :salute:

We had a public holiday on Monday, so I went to the farm with my cousin.....  :cheers: 

We took the scenic route there and back, nothing specific planned so the weekend consisted of long drives through the camps, making food and drinking beer. A little light arson and wasp hive removal also featured  :drink:  :facepalm:

Salt 1 works a treat for getting the skin off a Prickly Pear fruit, we had a feast.....and then it was gone...... :ahhh

My other mission was looking for woods to use for knife handles, so the Finnwolf was better suited to the task,  I clipped the Salt on the inside of the front part of my day pack........mostly because my cousin was constantly making paranoid remarks about burglars while we're out in the veld......an unfortunate possibility.  >:(

Somewhere during the drive I wanted to get the big Opinel saw riding in the same pocket, and noticed the Salt was gone......... :facepalm:

Now my memory is shot, but I would argue I never had any, but I do understand maths and I go through life without memory by doing things in a certain way.....the spectacles/testicles/wallet&watch check is a part of my life......

After much search, some of it in the same sand with a rake, I gave up and called it quits.  From back-tracking I figured there's only two possibilities, it was in my car, or in a 3m stretch of soft sand.  Since we didn't find it, we assumed it had been picked up.....

To make a long story short(er), my cousin found it in my car.  :facepalm: The flap over the front pocket of the daypack wasn't closed, while putting it in the back the clip caught on the webbing on the side of my seat covers and stayed right there.......

We looked everywhere but there, gravity you know, I was very relieved, but I also had very serious 2nd thoughts right there......

My motto in life seems to be "I can't have nice things"........now I feel like "not more than one nice things at a time"  :facepalm:

A knife not lost is a knife gained I guess  :drink: 

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 06:50:38 PM

Well, with permission......don't listen to me  :salute:

We had a public holiday on Monday, so I went to the farm with my cousin.....  :cheers: 

We took the scenic route there and back, nothing specific planned so the weekend consisted of long drives through the camps, making food and drinking beer. A little light arson and wasp hive removal also featured  :drink:  :facepalm:

Salt 1 works a treat for getting the skin off a Prickly Pear fruit, we had a feast.....and then it was gone...... :ahhh

My other mission was looking for woods to use for knife handles, so the Finnwolf was better suited to the task,  I clipped the Salt on the inside of the front part of my day pack........mostly because my cousin was constantly making paranoid remarks about burglars while we're out in the veld......an unfortunate possibility.  >:(

Somewhere during the drive I wanted to get the big Opinel saw riding in the same pocket, and noticed the Salt was gone......... :facepalm:

Now my memory is shot, but I would argue I never had any, but I do understand maths and I go through life without memory by doing things in a certain way.....the spectacles/testicles/wallet&watch check is a part of my life......

After much search, some of it in the same sand with a rake, I gave up and called it quits.  From back-tracking I figured there's only two possibilities, it was in my car, or in a 3m stretch of soft sand.  Since we didn't find it, we assumed it had been picked up.....

To make a long story short(er), my cousin found it in my car.  :facepalm: The flap over the front pocket of the daypack wasn't closed, while putting it in the back the clip caught on the webbing on the side of my seat covers and stayed right there.......

We looked everywhere but there, gravity you know, I was very relieved, but I also had very serious 2nd thoughts right there......

My motto in life seems to be "I can't have nice things"........now I feel like "not more than one nice things at a time"  :facepalm:

A knife not lost is a knife gained I guess  :drink:

lucky find   ;)
I've lost many knifes along the way, only one because of its clip that I can recall,
clipping knives strategically and getting used to pocket clips is a long way and sometimes hard lessons are learned through that journey   :P
My toys:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 09:57:33 PM
Glad you found it
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:31 PM
clipping knives strategically and getting used to pocket clips is a long way and sometimes hard lessons are learned through that journey   :P
:salute:

And that's the crux of the matter, I would like a really nice Spyderco, but I can no longer stomach the idea of unused knives......I have too many!

Thus my intention was not to buy a safe queen, but a step into the realm of High End Carry (thank you Nutn :cheers:)

Loosing the Salt is one thing, loosing a knife double the price is another.

I know for sure I would never HEC on the farm or anywhere else I'm likely to loose a knife.......but you never know.

Fortunately, perhaps, this has has forced me to reconsider what if anything I buy.

If anything, something cheaper.

:imws: Problem being the Salt 1 is great and my justification just went out the window.....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:37 AM
So very glad you found it GG :ahhh :like: :like:

I have lost a few things over the years as well :facepalm: I don't lose much but when I do it is usually lost really good and never to be found :D

If we carry nice things then it is bound to happen sooner or later though :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 10:17:55 AM
Shouldn't have walked into that shop, shouldn't have asked them to take out those knives  :facepalm:

The Kershaw Skyline was cheap.......always wanted it.

Kershaw Knockout........always wanted it, not cheap, but also on the shelve for a very good price  :gimme:

Spyderco Pacific.......need that in my life, just have to make peace with getting SE version rather than the PW I wanted.

CS Broken Skull....the Blue one......with XHP........need that in my life!

Spyderco Endura with BRG handle and ZDP blade........need that in my life!

I have the Skyline and the Salt 1, I can just imagine my drawer full of those colourful beauties, know I shouldn't buy the others, know I will regret it, maybe in the near future, but right now I'm in need of some retail therapy to feel better about life...... :facepalm:

They're all roughly the same price, can probably afford one a month if I cut my own throat (financially)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 03:13:38 PM
In the past, I was never really attracted to Spyderco knives.

That has changed. I recently had an opportunity to handle the Atlantic Salt and am left with a little bit of pining.

Price is a barrier, so I thought about one of the Rescues, but they are not H1, and I like H1 since I'm near the coast and enjoy kayaking and swimming.

So I'm saving $ and /or trying to decide if a smaller Salt is for me. Or none. We will see. I still don't care much for the look of most Spydercos...but that Atlantic was a real kickass knife

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #53 on: June 06, 2018, 04:29:28 PM

The Salt 1 convinced me I need more.....more lightness, more super steels!  :rofl:

This is by necessity a very distant purchase,  but since I might need to reserve the one option I've been toooooo'ing and frooooooooo'ing and watching many many more Youtube videos than is healthy, and I came to the following conclusions:

I love the LW Manix 2, but I struggle with the concept of riveted construction..... :think:

I love me some H1 just as much as the next guy and when I got into them I had a issue with my first riveted purchase but the Beaty of the Salt line is it doesn’t need to be taken apart. Every riveted Salt I have ever owned has always kept its perfect blade tension and never loosened up on me. Cleaning without taking it apart is also not a issue. One more thing. Do you own a SAK? Have you ever been concerned about not being able to adjust your SAK blade because it’s pinned toghether? Just saying.  :whistle:
I'm the milk man!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 06:28:04 PM

I love me some H1 just as much as the next guy and when I got into them I had a issue with my first riveted purchase but the Beaty of the Salt line is it doesn’t need to be taken apart. Every riveted Salt I have ever owned has always kept its perfect blade tension and never loosened up on me. Cleaning without taking it apart is also not a issue. One more thing. Do you own a SAK? Have you ever been concerned about not being able to adjust your SAK blade because it’s pinned toghether? Just saying.  :whistle:

maybe it's the best knife designs that are pinned still today...SAK, Buck 110, the Salts,  :whistle:
My toys:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 07:45:52 PM
My PERFECT Syderco. 
IMG_5097.jpg
* IMG_5097.jpg (Filesize: 222 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: June 07, 2018, 08:00:56 AM

So I'm saving $ and /or trying to decide if a smaller Salt is for me. Or none. We will see. I still don't care much for the look of most Spydercos...but that Atlantic was a real kickass knife

Salt 1? Prefect knife.

I don't own any knives with a super steel yet, but I struggle to see why I'd need much more that H1.

In sober moments I know I should get the Pacific and the Broken Skull, forget about the rest.

Something that works really well becomes beautiful to me, so the Spydie hole and how it distorts the shape of the knives is more than acceptable to me.

I've been carrying the Skyline for a week+ now, compared to the Salt 1 it's lightness is a joke, and strangely I find that when playing, OH opening and closing, the Salt is easier and quicker..... :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: June 07, 2018, 08:42:16 AM

Looks like that Salt's tip has been modified?

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 10:58:34 AM
Pacific Salt does have that drop at the point as standard.
Asking H1 to hold a finer point is a little too much for the soft steel (IMHO)

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 11:49:12 AM
Pacific Salt does have that drop at the point as standard.
Asking H1 to hold a finer point is a little too much for the soft steel (IMHO)

I was referring to the top knife......see not a Salt 1......Delica?

You're right H1 with that tip wouldn't last long....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%