Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT nice customer service!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
CRKT nice customer service!
on: October 25, 2017, 03:27:11 AM
So, years ago (like 15) I received as a gift a CRKT Ed Halligan KISS SST 5560. Nice, simple, compact folder about the size of a money clip, and with a clip so it could BE your money clip. Bead blasted finish, wharncliffe combo blade. With my nickname engraved.

I used it daily, and never even considered listing it among my regular carry items, perhaps because it was a given - what, with being clipped around my cash and all.

Well, some years ago, I broke the tip off of it and simply retired it. The other day, I had a conversation with a contractor at work, which started because he was wearing a Leatherman Tread. We got to talking, he mentioned his CRKT, and I told him about mine. He suggested I reach out to them, as they have a very good warranty.

I did. I emailed them and told them the situation. Here is the response:

Hello (insert real name of ThundahBeagle here)

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we do not sell replacement blades separately as they are hand fitted to each handle in our factory. In addition, there is a liability issue when supplying replacement blades. A couple of other options may be to purchase a new knife or take it to a knife sharpener who may be able to repair it for you.

Here's the number of a sharpener that does great work and is familiar with CRKT knife models. You can contact him and explain the situation, and he can tell you if it can be repaired or not.

Tom Veff- Owner Veff Sharpening Service 503-656-9918 www.veffsharpening.com

If you decide to purchase a new knife, we have discontinued the 5560 and it is no longer available. However, we do have other KISS models on our website. I would like to provide you with a coupon code. This coupon is good for a 50% discount off MSRP for one order, up to three products, when ordered through our website www.crkt.com . Standard shipping rates apply. The coupon code is: (VIPblahblahGinger). This expires 5/31/2019.

Sincerely,

Ivey Crisantos CSR II CRKT Direct: 503.218.2541 Fax: 503.682.9680 www.crkt.com

From: CRKT [mailto:info@crkt.com] Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 9:09 PM To: Customer Service for Columbia River Knife & Tool Subject: Contact Form

-Can we give up a hand for Ivey and CRKT?! I thought the 50% off an order was a very, very generous offer, just because I contacted them. I mean, I hadn't even been "wronged" in any way and wasn't complaining, just looking to know if they would sell me a replacement blade. I wouldn't start calling them just looking to get 50% off or anything, but I just thought this was worth spotlighting. Let me know if this is the norm, but I've never seen that level of generosity just to say "sorry, we are fresh out of those, but we have something almost exactly the same over here."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: CRKT nice customer service!
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:59:52 PM
I had an issue with a CRKT Lil Guppie - the backspring for the blade broke. I posted pics on the forum, and a certain somebody forwarded a link to CRKT. They came on the forum, acknowledged the problem, took my details, and had a replacement tool shipped to me from Germany - all from me posting pictures of the problem on the forum. The service you have received on this knife does not surprise me at all. They really like to look after their customers.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:13:43 PM
yeah, CRKT folks have an excellent customer service and are very aware of any needed and unsatisfied customers    :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:17:35 PM
 :salute: CRKT.  Great to hear they look after their customers. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:51 PM
Wow, that is excellent service.

I had a KISS PECK years ago (2000-ish?) and you're right they did make excellent money clips - especially if you were abroad and didnt want to carry your wallet etc... Like you i retired mine too... i'll need to see if i can find it.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:42 AM
Fuzz - yeah this looks like a Delilah PECK but with a combo blade and a squared off butt (or pommel?) instead of rounded.

Nice little surprise for who tries to rob you, or, handy little box cutter, etc.

50, Aloha, Peacent...Thanks for the feedback. I may not take CRKT up on the offer, only because it is only good on their website, and is no good on Amazon. I'm a PRIME member, and checked the prices. PECK is $30 on CRKT and $18 on Amazon through Prime. Minimalist Wharncliffe (Aloha, I saw you speak of this in another thread) is $40 on CRKT and $25 on Amazon through Prime. So, not quite 50% off, maybe 40%, but I also don't have to give my credit card details to yet another online commerce entity. Or maybe I will, but I will use postal $ order and just wait on snail delivery. I don't know yet, and have some time to decide.

But still, what a nice gesture to someone who merely had a question. And it was my only CRKT. And I didn't even buy it for myself it was a gift. And that was like 15 years ago. Can't really qualify me as a customer, let alone a repeat customer. Imagine what they do for actual VIP types who buy from them all the time...

Above and beyond in the true sense, I think.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:55:10 AM
Very nice gestire on CRKT's part :salute: I have a few thngs from them and everything I have is great quality and I am glad to know they also stand behind their products if there is a defect :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%