Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show me your drills

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Show me your drills
on: October 25, 2017, 04:03:40 PM
With the success of the non-multitool thread I decided to try again, and include the one power tool that I feel like everyone needs.

I actually have four drills, but this Black & Decker light duty 12V Lithium rechargeable drill is the only one that has made it to Ottawa.  I also have two Kawasaki cordless drills and a DeWalt corded drill that does most of the heavy work.  I used to prefer cordless drills for the convenience of not having to find a plug or run an extension cord, but it seemed like every time I went to use a cordless, it had 5 minutes of power and then died.   :facepalm:

As much as I prefer a corded drill for heavy jobs, I have to say I have put a lot of miles on this little Black & Decker and I haven't been disappointed.  I do bigger jobs with it than I am sure it was designed for, but then this is the kind of thing I do.   :facepalm:

Despite being a small drill it has many of the features found in larger drills, like the adjustable torque settings and the built in LED light for illuminating your workspace.

I think I paid around $30 for this little drill and I believe it was well worth the money.  It's a few years old now, and still going strong.

What drill(s) are you using?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Show me your drills
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:01 PM
Perfect timing, I just finished using mine.

Bosch Professional 10.8v Li

Enough torque to snap drill bits or twist it out of your hand if you aren’t paying attention, but light enough to use all day. Unlike my previous DeWalt.

I’ve also got an old B&D which hasn’t let me down so I don’t see any real need to replace and an SDS drill/breaker. Now I bought that to do one job. That was 7 years ago and it’s still going strong, I guess I was lucky. 
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:08 PM
I have a Rigid drill and impact driver set, and a Milwaukee drill and impact driver set. Both sets are 1/2" 18 volt Lithium.

I've had the Rigid for a few years, and it's worked flawlessly! I haven't found anything it won't drill through.

The Milwaukee set is pretty new, and hasn't seen much use.

Even though the impact guns are meant for driving screws, I use it quite a bit working on the Jeep. It has the power to remove most fasteners, and it's light and pretty compact.

The Milwaukee driver is more powerful, but it's new and clean, so hasn't been used on the Jeep yet, lol.

I'll try and remember to take a few pics tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000858768.html?eid=PS_GOOGLE_HD+%7C+PLAs_Shopping+%7C+All+Products_All+Products_aud-267634447182:pla-296303633664&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MDPBRAFEiwAppdF9DrV_4TVcsNg7-hFMG3sH0eq8ZDB-aM8flJl5BVeR5SJW6is0RN4gBoCKVUQAvD_BwE

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:22:15 PM by derekmac »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:24:02 PM
Oh I’ve got an 18v Bosch impact driver as well

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 04:30:14 PM
I'll be watching this.  Last one I had gave out after 10 years of service.  It was a B/D that wasn't treated real well.  Can't say I was bummed at all.  I like corded as well but Li power just makes sense   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 05:13:20 PM
I'll be in the shed Thursday so I'll take pics of my drills  :tu:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 05:13:57 PM
my rechargeable is a generic one from B&Q in the UK, it barely holds a charge anymore, and since I don't use it often I don't really care. I was supposed to get a replacement from my brother in law but it hasn't happened yet... he has access to Bosch factory returns that are a fraction of the cost due to minor cosmetic flaws...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:57 PM
Whoey - what an absolutely fantastic avatar!!!

Right, any excuse to expose my tool...s.

This is one of my favourates at the moment and is still reasonably new and shiney:
20171025_171114.jpg
* 20171025_171114.jpg (Filesize: 399.59 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:06 PM
My own drill is a Bosch one.
Small, lightweight but really capable and alot of torque for it's size.

At work I use a Dewalt brushless

Slightly bigger, still lightweight and decent amount of torque as well.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:46:48 PM
I have a set of RIGID cordless drill and Impact driver. Both came with a lifetime warranty, to include the batteries (18 Volts). I personally have not needed to “test” the warranty; but, many of my son’s co-workers have and they stand behind their product...no question asked. Perhaps a little pricey at 200.00$ Cdn; but, i feel confident that I’ll never buy a drill set again.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:56:59 PM

At work I use a Dewalt brushless
(Image removed from quote.)
Slightly bigger, still lightweight and decent amount of torque as well.

I had the Ni-Cd predecessor to that (actually, ive still got it - it's in the shed) it was fantastic but an absolute beast to lug around. The batteries are all knack'd now unfortunately.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 09:59:05 PM
I have a set of RIGID cordless drill and Impact driver. Both came with a lifetime warranty, to include the batteries (18 Volts). I personally have not needed to “test” the warranty; but, many of my son’s co-workers have and they stand behind their product...no question asked. Perhaps a little pricey at 200.00$ Cdn; but, i feel confident that I’ll never buy a drill set again.

I've never used any Ridgid tools, they look pretty substantial.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 10:10:12 PM
I have a DeWalt brushless. Not the XR version though.
Here's a low quality photo;

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 10:14:09 PM

Don't know what version is what :D
I do know the head of mine is steel instead of plastic, if that's what I'm seeing?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 10:17:55 PM

Don't know what version is what :D
I do know the head of mine is steel instead of plastic, if that's what I'm seeing?

That, and the XR has three speeds, where mine is only two. I think those are the primary differences.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 10:41:03 PM

I've never used any Ridgid tools, they look pretty substantial.

Fuzz
Yeah both are heavy, relatively so, but very well balanced. I have had no issues working all day building structures. And i omitted to say that a flat cell charges up fully in twenty minutes with the included charger. Makes lunch time an ideal time to charge up “all” batteries... :)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:08 PM
Pics
20171025_182258-1008x756.jpg
* 20171025_182258-1008x756.jpg (Filesize: 183.9 KB)
20171025_182320-756x1008.jpg
* 20171025_182320-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 178.78 KB)
20171025_182334-756x1008.jpg
* 20171025_182334-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 135.31 KB)
20171025_182716-756x1008.jpg
* 20171025_182716-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 113.72 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 11:37:18 PM
Pics 2
20171025_182409-1008x756.jpg
* 20171025_182409-1008x756.jpg (Filesize: 173.79 KB)
20171025_182428-756x1008.jpg
* 20171025_182428-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 173.83 KB)
20171025_182423-756x1008.jpg
* 20171025_182423-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 150.54 KB)
20171025_182440-756x1008.jpg
* 20171025_182440-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 157.38 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 11:38:07 PM
Pics 3
20171025_182634-1008x756.jpg
* 20171025_182634-1008x756.jpg (Filesize: 185.14 KB)
20171025_182601-1008x756.jpg
* 20171025_182601-1008x756.jpg (Filesize: 167.48 KB)

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 12:09:36 AM
:nothingtoadd:

except that the thread's title is unfortunate and misleading ::) and that I don't have a power drill but I'd appreciate some education on the matter because I am interested in acquiring one. Possibly one from LIDL's PARKSIDE line as I've heard pretty good things about them and they have a 3-year guarantee.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:02 AM
Great drills and impacters guys :tu: Yet another something I need to get pics of :ahhh :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 03:35:15 PM
:nothingtoadd:

except that the thread's title is unfortunate and misleading ::) and that I don't have a power drill but I'd appreciate some education on the matter because I am interested in acquiring one. Possibly one from LIDL's PARKSIDE line as I've heard pretty good things about them and they have a 3-year guarantee.

When it comes to a cordless drill I think that there are two ways to go:

1- Find a manufacturer that will warranty the battery for a long period of time so that when yours starts to get weak and soft after 3 years, you can get another one with no hassle.

2- Buy an inexpensive drill and expect that you will be replacing it in three years.

Three years seems to be (usually) about as long as a drill works for me.  My first cordless drill was a big Craftsman around 2000 and it was great, but a few years later the prices had come down, the power had gone up and replacing the battery on my Craftsman cost way more than a newer, more powerful drill.  Ordinarily I would suggest just buying an inexpensive drill and expect to replace it in three years, but as Marc pointed out, some drills do carry a good warranty that includes the battery, and, given the choice, I think that's what I would do.

That's the best advice I can give....

My old Craftsman was $300.  When I replaced it, I got a Kawasaki set for $300.  It was similar to the set below, except I didn't get the flashlight.  It was a reciprocating saw, circular saw, drill, two batteries and charger for $300.

I then found just the drill (exact same model) at another store for $50, and it came with two batteries and a charger, so now I had four tools (recip saw, circular saw and two drills), a battery for each tool, and two chargers that I could use to charge the batteries about as fast as I could drain them.  I got to the point where I liked having two drills at the same time, because I could leave the drill bit in one and a screwdriver bit in the other and do a job a lot faster than having to constantly switch back and forth.

That was a great setup when it worked, but as the batteries eventually went soft I ended up having to replace almost an entire workshop of tools.  I ended up getting a corded DeWalt drill for heavy stuff, my little B&D drill for light stuff, a corded reciprocating saw and I never did get a replacement circular saw, although since I have a big Craftsman table saw it wasn't needed as much.

This is the DeWalt drill I got:

This is the DeWalt Reciprocating saw:

And this is my big table saw, which comes off the legs and is surprisingly portable.

I wouldn't want to carry it too far, but it's really easy to load in the Jeep and take to wherever I want.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 09:28:25 AM
Had a bit of an epiphany just over a year ago talking to the shop fitters busy at a new satellite office, they've switched over to battery powered power tools exclusively.

Personally I own none, and a lot of water will run into the ocean before I do  :whistle:

I've got a Ryobi pencil grinder, average size hand drill, angle grinder and a large Ryobi drill press......all run on 220V.

Good to see how the technology has improved and matured, simply not something I need. 

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 10:16:23 AM
Something tells me I will be digging out a couple of toys tools for the camera tomorrow.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 01:11:01 PM
Had a bit of an epiphany just over a year ago talking to the shop fitters busy at a new satellite office, they've switched over to battery powered power tools exclusively.

Personally I own none, and a lot of water will run into the ocean before I do  :whistle:

I've got a Ryobi pencil grinder, average size hand drill, angle grinder and a large Ryobi drill press......all run on 220V.

Good to see how the technology has improved and matured, simply not something I need.

There is definitely a need for cordless tools.  I really enjoy using them and not having to worry about running (or tripping on!) extension cords and so on.  Get the tool that suits your needs.  I have both because I see a good need for both.

Def

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 01:38:48 PM

There is definitely a need for cordless tools.  I really enjoy using them and not having to worry about running (or tripping on!) extension cords and so on.  Get the tool that suits your needs.  I have both because I see a good need for both.

Def

There is nothing quite like putting a few good sized holes in conctrete (or whatever) without a cord in sight.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:11 PM

Def

There is nothing quite like putting a few good sized holes in conctrete (or whatever) without a cord in sight.
It's wizardry!  :ahhh :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:27 PM

[/quote]
Electrickery!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

Electrickery!
[/quote]

Used to watch Cat Weasel by any chance?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 10:24:25 PM
When it comes to a cordless drill I think that there are two ways to go:

1- Find a manufacturer that will warranty the battery for a long period of time so that when yours starts to get weak and soft after 3 years, you can get another one with no hassle.

2 - Buy an inexpensive drill and expect that you will be replacing it in three years.

I can't say I have experience with lots of brands, but I can say that the blue Bosch series of tools are generally high quality. As for cordless drills I got one of their cordless 14,4v series (the heavy "brute") which must be 12-13 years by now and still going strong. Also got the successor model to that and an impact driver both of which is likely some 10-11 years and also going strong. Still a bit on the fence with their 10.8v series though; 2 batteries have died way too early for my liking.

As for inexpensive cordless drills I've never had any success - they seem to cut most of their cost corners on the batteries. If you only need to do a hole now and then maybe still fine? Some years since I tried last time though - might have improved with the general quality increase of batteries?

Inexpensive corded tools on the other hand tend to be surprisingly good value for money as long as you don't drag them around outside in snow or rain or dusty places. They might be off in some ergonomic/ precision/ general hassle way but generally well worth it.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%