Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show me your drills

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Show me your drills
Reply #120 on: October 16, 2018, 02:44:37 AM
Thank you, Boss!
Indeed, the more droid-like, the better.  :cheers:

As soon as my tendon heals, I'll be bringing home my floor height drill press, which is quite droid-like.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #121 on: October 16, 2018, 11:19:34 AM
This is my latest drill, it's a Bosch drill press (wrong color, green instead of blue ;) ). It's supposed to be pretty good for its price (I got a great deal on Amazon):

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice.  Like the idea of having no belts to faff with.  Is it a brushless motor?  Does the whole head move up and down with the handwheel?

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: October 16, 2018, 10:40:48 PM
With the success of the non-multitool thread I decided to try again, and include the one power tool that I feel like everyone needs.

I actually have four drills, but this Black & Decker light duty 12V Lithium rechargeable drill is the only one that has made it to Ottawa.  I also have two Kawasaki cordless drills and a DeWalt corded drill that does most of the heavy work.  I used to prefer cordless drills for the convenience of not having to find a plug or run an extension cord, but it seemed like every time I went to use a cordless, it had 5 minutes of power and then died.   :facepalm:

As much as I prefer a corded drill for heavy jobs, I have to say I have put a lot of miles on this little Black & Decker and I haven't been disappointed.  I do bigger jobs with it than I am sure it was designed for, but then this is the kind of thing I do.   :facepalm:

Despite being a small drill it has many of the features found in larger drills, like the adjustable torque settings and the built in LED light for illuminating your workspace.

I think I paid around $30 for this little drill and I believe it was well worth the money.  It's a few years old now, and still going strong.

What drill(s) are you using?

Def

I have the same drill but am disappointed with it  :( I'm not sure whether it is the batteries of the electronics inside (though I keep having the same issue with a new battery as well, so it seems it's an electronics issue), the thing is the drill simply does not revolve *sometimes*. I press the button, the LED lights up but the motor stays still. The only remedy is removing and reattaching the battery. I opened it up countless times, cleaned it, looked for any debris etc inside, it's all clean in there. Not a big problem but it's quite annoying :-/

My next cordless drill won't be Black&Decker, that much I know.

The main drill I use is a corded Bosch. I wish I had bought a blue-series drill (i.e. the pro series) because the chuck of this drill has a plastic shell and is already quite worn off because of being used in tight spaces (friction to the wall etc). Also, there is some "grinding feeling" every now and then when I tighten it. The ball bearing could be damaged somehow, not sure.

The previous drill I used for ages was again a Bosch with a metal chuck and it has been as reliable as a train engine :) Maybe the product quality changed recently? Dunno.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #123 on: October 16, 2018, 10:55:47 PM
This is my latest drill, it's a Bosch drill press (wrong color, green instead of blue ;) ). It's supposed to be pretty good for its price (I got a great deal on Amazon):

Nice.  Like the idea of having no belts to faff with.  Is it a brushless motor?  Does the whole head move up and down with the handwheel?

The whole thing moves up and down. The motor is not brushless but the variable speed control and lcd screen are quite nice :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #124 on: October 18, 2018, 12:40:16 AM
Sorry to hear the Black and Decker drill isn't working for you!  I use mine a lot harder than it is designed for and I haven't had a problem with mine.  I don't know if I got lucky or if you got unlucky.  I know that I have used mine on jobs that were way too big for such a tiny drill and it is still going strong.  It was also pretty cheap, so I really don't worry too much if it burns out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #125 on: October 18, 2018, 01:54:02 AM
My two 14v dewalt drills died, I think are still good I just think the batteries just died, they just didn’t get used for so long they wont keep a charge..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: October 18, 2018, 12:34:22 PM
And that's the problem with cordless tools- unless you use them regularly the batteries crap out.  And, if you do use them often then the batteries wear out, but at least you get the use out of them before they crap out.

Mind you a corded drill from the 50's is still chugging along with no problems at all, despite only being used rarely because it weighs a ton.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: October 18, 2018, 05:09:09 PM
Yup, so true.
Back in the day we had a guy who had a all stainless steel reciprocating saw, that thing had to be totally 50’s, and it worked like new! I told the guy, dude you so have to write the company, they’d probably buy it and give you a new one so they could put it in a museum!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #128 on: October 18, 2018, 06:45:28 PM
I doubt it- there are so many of those old chrome steel tools out there still working just as good as the day they were made.  Have a look at any pawn shop and you'll see them there!

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: October 18, 2018, 08:18:48 PM
Oh yeah I know, I was busting the old mans stones telling him it’s time for a new one..
JR

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #130 on: October 18, 2018, 09:52:18 PM
Oh yeah I know, I was busting the old mans stones telling him it’s time for a new one..
JR

Even Indie agrees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-abUtRbUS_U

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: October 19, 2018, 12:58:59 AM
And that's the problem with cordless tools- unless you use them regularly the batteries crap out.  And, if you do use them often then the batteries wear out, but at least you get the use out of them before they crap out.

Mind you a corded drill from the 50's is still chugging along with no problems at all, despite only being used rarely because it weighs a ton.

Def

Again and not to be the broken record here but if you really have not tried any newer than 10 years then you are in for a huge surprise!
Batteries are not the same as back then and do not suffer the same issues that non-use caused in NiMh models of that era.

New batteries have computer management inside and they really do monitor and supervise the battery condition to avoid bad charging habits killing them before their time.
Lithium Batteries also do not suffer degradation from sitting unused and can not be over discharged usually either.

The new batteries are also so much more powerful yet lighter weight it is unbelievable really.

Please try something new and high quality before deciding or spreading the same advice about batteries from before.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:01:34 AM by ezdog »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #132 on: October 19, 2018, 02:31:41 AM
I am sure I will sooner or later.  You just can't argue with the convenience of a cordless drill.

Def

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #133 on: November 16, 2018, 03:45:46 PM
Was clearing up in the garage, thought I'd take a couple of pics of my drills

Bosch corded non-hammer, Bosch SDS, B&D cordless and a baby Makita

Axminster pillar drill

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #134 on: November 16, 2018, 03:53:05 PM
This is my latest drill:

Bosch GSR-18V 60 C with all kinds of extras (drill bits, driver bits and an L-Boxx full of Wiha tools).

First world problem: I use IKEA PAX wardrobes to store my L-Boxxes. And with these three I ran out of space. I had to buy an extra wardrobe :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:21:29 PM by Reinier »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #135 on: November 16, 2018, 04:20:40 PM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #136 on: November 16, 2018, 10:43:22 PM
 :like:

us Offline papadan

• An old wrench tugger
Reply #137 on: November 19, 2018, 03:41:47 AM
Here it is...The latest and Greatest drill ever invented.

Made by the fabulous Skill Corp. of Chicago, Il. Made in the USA. This new drill is double insulated, Variable speed. It has a 3/8" chuck capacity and a side handle for stability. It has a new Polycarbonate housing that is guaranteed against breakage for life.

This is it People, not just a drill, it's a drill / driver.

Got this at an auction today for $3.
DSCI0380.JPG
* DSCI0380.JPG (Filesize: 85.61 KB)
DSCI0381.JPG
* DSCI0381.JPG (Filesize: 106.14 KB)

* DSCI0382.JPG (Filesize: 52.06 KB)

* DSCI0383.JPG (Filesize: 50.42 KB)
just a tired old Multi-fool

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #138 on: November 19, 2018, 07:44:05 AM
Score!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #139 on: November 19, 2018, 10:29:44 AM

Holy balls that’s a lot of sortimo/L-Boxx’s, very impressive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #140 on: November 19, 2018, 01:06:28 PM
Dan, that's an amazing find on a great drill!  That thing looks bulletproof!

Reinier, I love that setup!  I would spend days organizing and setting things up like that, then two days later there would be bits and pieces all over the place, something leaking from each of the top shelves and a small fire burning away in a corner....   :facepalm:

Def

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #141 on: November 19, 2018, 02:14:14 PM
:D
You know, except for the small fire it's not that different actually. Many of those boxes contain all kinds of miscellaneous stuff. All power tools are in their own L-Boxxes though.
And the shelves to the left of those cabinets are really full of junk: hand tools like block planes, chisels, saws, pencils, squares and such, but also camping gear, random household items, buckets, garden tools and the occasional small piece of furniture. It's such a mess just looking at it makes me sad :P

I'm currently building a workbench and tool wall, so things will hopefully be more organized in the near future.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #142 on: November 19, 2018, 04:13:45 PM

Bought me one of those Bosch drill presses as well today, Amazon has a great deal on this drill today  :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #143 on: November 19, 2018, 04:15:55 PM

Bought me one of those Bosch drill presses as well today, Amazon has a great deal on this drill today  :D

Yes, you pad a bit less than me (I just read about it on that other forum ;) ).

Reply #144 on: November 19, 2018, 04:17:44 PM

Yes, you pad a bit less than me (I just read about it on that other forum ;) ).

:cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #145 on: December 04, 2018, 06:02:15 PM
Anyone got one of these?

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #146 on: December 04, 2018, 06:26:47 PM
Anyone got one of these?

Not me. Why would anyone like that :think:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #147 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:04 PM

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #148 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:58 PM
My latest drill. Basically the FlexiClick version of my other 18V Bosch:

Reply #149 on: December 04, 2018, 07:24:09 PM

^-- where the cat sits

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00