Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show me your drills

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: Show me your drills
Reply #150 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:37 PM
My latest drill. Basically the FlexiClick version of my other 18V Bosch:

(Image removed from quote.)
Is this the Drill/Impact that converts to both?

I saw them pretty cheap here but it seemed kind of Gimmicky too?

That and all I need is to start another battery system!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #151 on: December 11, 2018, 12:34:06 PM
Kind of, it's not an impact driver but one of the FlexiClick accessories converts it into a hammer drill (mechanical, not pneumatic).
Pretty cheap... well they are not, at least here in the EU :)

I just wanted a second 18V drill/driver, the add-on tools are just a bonus.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #152 on: February 10, 2019, 03:02:45 AM
These are the two of mine that see the most use.

Miller's Falls 2-A from the 1950s (which is what I actually usually use drilling holes, and it can also store a ton of small bits in the handle) and a Hitachi DV16VSS 5/8 corded impact drill.

The Millers Falls has been here probably since new (and was likely used to build the place by the family who lived here before my folks moved to here in 1969), while the Hitachi was bought new by me in 2018. A former display model, I got it for half off in the Spring. Sold as is, with no accessories; but there's one thing I recommend everyone do when they see a display model. Ask whoever is in charge of tools to check for the packaging which contains the case, manuals, and all accessories/tools.   In my case, it was there, in storage above the power tool display.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #153 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:41 PM
Those are some pretty sweet drills you have there!

That's a cordless drill I can really get behind!  :D  Does it see much use? 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #154 on: February 24, 2019, 03:25:36 AM
Those are some pretty sweet drills you have there!

That's a cordless drill I can really get behind!  :D  Does it see much use? 

Def

Pretty much every time I put in a screw to hang a photo, certificate, or small shelf. Which equates to about every other week.  My grandparents like using powered impacts, but I've noticed those things have a habit of tearing up screws.  Usually I drill them with the Millers Falls; then use a regular screwdriver to put them in. The day I took the photo, I ended up using the Hitachi to put in the screws due to the section of wall I put the vacuum anchor in being fairly hard.  And not to mention, the bits I'm using are from Canadian Tire, and quite cheap (somehow, they ended up in a discount store here in my hometown) and it still works great with them.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #155 on: February 24, 2019, 11:53:17 AM
Here’s my go-to cordless for any heavy-duty work. DeWalt XR 796 brushless. Powerful enough (70Nm) for most DIY work around the house.

But my favorite is the cordless Metabo PowerMaxx BS. It’s one of the more powerful compact units and kicks out 34Nm torque which matches some full-size models. A nice feature is that you can remove the chuck and the spindle is a magnetized hex for taking standard bits making it super compact. I use this chap for almost everything other than hammer drill use.  :tu:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #156 on: February 26, 2019, 03:26:15 AM
My grandfather's Hitachi WH-10DFL cordless driver.  It came in a set with a carry bag and a DS-10DFL driver. There is an "R" engraving somewhere on it, I think it was refurbished. He got it for Christmas one year. It's seen a lot of use around the farm, and my grandmother uses it a lot around the house for DIY projects, thus all the paint spatter.   

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #157 on: February 26, 2019, 05:59:49 AM
Nice!  :like:

Hitachi is a very good brand. There is a name change – or should I say “changes” - happening in Europe already: the Hitachi Power Tools name will become HiKoki – a derivative of Hitachi Koki Company's new name (Koki Holdings).

Not sure I like the new name  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #158 on: March 01, 2019, 01:48:43 AM
Nice!  :like:

Hitachi is a very good brand. There is a name change – or should I say “changes” - happening in Europe already: the Hitachi Power Tools name will become HiKoki – a derivative of Hitachi Koki Company's new name (Koki Holdings).

Not sure I like the new name  :dunno:

Agreed. The new name sounds stupid. Apparently, Hitachi's power tool division was spun off in 2017, almost two years ago now.

https://toolguyd.com/hitachi-power-tools-and-metabo-bought-by-usa-based-kkr-private-equity-firm/

us Offline cody6268

Reply #159 on: April 13, 2019, 02:43:57 AM
1980s Craftsman. According to my research, this was made by Ryobi in their sole USA plant in Indiana. Not  Black and Decker, oddly.

It was my first electric drill--I found it in the basement, and Granddad gave it to me. Cord is shot--I found a disassembled Black and Decker in the basement with a great cord on it--just don't know if it will work or not.  Because of the cord, I retired it as soon as I bought the 5/8 Hitachi this time last year.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #160 on: April 13, 2019, 03:37:14 AM
Dang, an oldie but goodie!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #161 on: April 13, 2019, 07:10:02 AM
It deserves a new life cody. Lots of people remember the quality of the Craftsman US-built tools that disappeared even before B&D took over the brand. Someone on the board probably even has a 1980 Sears catalog with the listing?  :like:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:05 AM
Anyone that is still driving screws with drill do yourself a favor buy a cordless 1/4 impact even a cheap one.  It will be life-changing. I'm pretty tight-fisted If mine burned tomorrow I would replace it with a new Dewalt I would not even think about it. It is my most used tool.   
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #163 on: April 28, 2019, 03:07:24 PM
Anyone that is still driving screws with drill do yourself a favor buy a cordless 1/4 impact even a cheap one.  It will be life-changing. I'm pretty tight-fisted If mine burned tomorrow I would replace it with a new Dewalt I would not even think about it. It is my most used tool.   

Am Impact Driver is hardly the correct tool to drive all screws though I see guys using them for everything all day long too?
They are great for a lot of driving but hardly the solution that many use them for unless you are a Caveman.

I find more things broken or mauled since the Impact became so common than ever before.

There are still a lot of advantages to a normal variable speed drill or even more so a near variable speed wrist & hand!

Depends on the job doesn't it?

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #164 on: May 02, 2019, 06:45:36 AM
Dude lets agree to disagree. I'll take an impact driver over a drill. I used a boat anchor DeWalt 18 volt for years and liked it. Modern drills have torque settings that work fine if you remember to set them. I have a nice modern DeWalt 20 volt drill I like it for drilling holes. An impact is more balanced for driving screws because that's what it was made for. An impact with a good three inch bit so you can see what you are doing has a much smaller learning curve than a drill they are not on and off at least mine isn't it is variable speed you just bump up smaller screws until you hear the impact and you are done. My Nephew is a general contractor a few years ago we remodeled the house we were living in. I used an impact to R and R kitchen cabinet hardware, install door stops, door handles, light fixtures. We gutted the condo we bought down to the sheetrock. I used an Impact to install all new switches, plugs, small sheetrock patches, kitchen cabinets, all new windows, sliding glass door, french doors, wall hung TVs. You get the idea. My son in law is a mechanic all he uses battery impacts and ratchets most everything.           
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: May 02, 2019, 07:00:05 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #166 on: May 25, 2019, 07:00:18 PM

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #167 on: May 27, 2019, 05:56:59 PM
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

MrMckay, how is Makita variable speed drill working with the 3Ah battery?  Does it do most jobs you ask it to?

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #168 on: May 27, 2019, 08:18:07 PM
MrMckay, how is Makita variable speed drill working with the 3Ah battery?  Does it do most jobs you ask it to?
I am very happy with it. I'm thinking of upgrading to 5ah but people say they're extremely heavy for all day work.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #169 on: May 27, 2019, 08:22:41 PM
The Makita are a BEAST I think and they are smooth at the same time.

I run Milwaukee and Makita all day long and there is no real extra power with the bigger batteries just longer run time.
I also carry a so called 20v Dewalt and it is not nearly as powerful as the Red or Green but the charger is tiny and I have tiny batteries for it and it all fits easily in my "First In" bag so it gets the call on every job unless I need more power.

I drill with 6' long bits and hole saws a lot and they eat through wood like a powered drill on a fresh battery.

I do wish the Makita Chargers were smaller but OI can't have it all evidently.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #170 on: May 28, 2019, 04:47:21 AM
I am very happy with it. I'm thinking of upgrading to 5ah but people say they're extremely heavy for all day work.

The Makita are a BEAST I think and they are smooth at the same time.

I run Milwaukee and Makita all day long and there is no real extra power with the bigger batteries just longer run time.
I also carry a so called 20v Dewalt and it is not nearly as powerful as the Red or Green but the charger is tiny and I have tiny batteries for it and it all fits easily in my "First In" bag so it gets the call on every job unless I need more power.

I drill with 6' long bits and hole saws a lot and they eat through wood like a powered drill on a fresh battery.

I do wish the Makita Chargers were smaller but OI can't have it all evidently.

Thank you guys!  I was wondering any added benefit of having a larger capacity battery, and those info are useful! :cheers:

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #171 on: May 28, 2019, 10:21:24 PM
O after a couple of jobs in a rental I own today I'm thinking of a 10v drill driver. The kind with the 1/4 inch chuck. Torque settings are a must. I've been looking at the older style makita version. Any suggestions?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #172 on: May 28, 2019, 10:54:11 PM
I probably use my 12v Milwaukee Screwdriver as much as anything else in the end.
The versions with the 1/4 chuck are you saying that has a regular tiny chuck or a chuck for driver bits directly?

I have the Makita,Dewalt,Rigid,Ryobi,Bosch and Milwaukee in 12v and the Milwaukee is easily the best one of the bunch.
Unlike the 18v the Makita is just sort of wimpy and I think the Bosch is actually the same tool as the Milwaukee and I am pretty sure the batteries could be easily modded to work between them too.
So they are interchangeable to me in case you find a Bosch deal out there?

gb Offline MrMckay

Reply #173 on: May 28, 2019, 11:03:12 PM
I probably use my 12v Milwaukee Screwdriver as much as anything else in the end.
The versions with the 1/4 chuck are you saying that has a regular tiny chuck or a chuck for driver bits directly?

I have the Makita,Dewalt,Rigid,Ryobi,Bosch and Milwaukee in 12v and the Milwaukee is easily the best one of the bunch.
Unlike the 18v the Makita is just sort of wimpy and I think the Bosch is actually the same tool as the Milwaukee and I am pretty sure the batteries could be easily modded to work between them too.
So they are interchangeable to me in case you find a Bosch deal out there?
so stay away from the makita 10v? Yeah the kind the bits fit into

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: May 28, 2019, 11:54:41 PM
so stay away from the makita 10v? Yeah the kind the bits fit into
They may be different than the ones we have here though too?
YMMV as they say

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24