Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show me your drills

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: Show me your drills
Reply #60 on: November 06, 2017, 10:50:41 PM
Talking of drilling holes and such like, I used these for the first time today - they were quite impressive.

Alpen Multicut bits:
Masonry bits eh. What'd you drill?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 10:55:39 PM
Talking of drilling holes and such like, I used these for the first time today - they were quite impressive.

Alpen Multicut bits:
Masonry bits eh. What'd you drill?

Not just for masonary, they can go through wood and steel too. They're great at the moment... but for how long!?!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 10:58:32 PM
Marc, you are absolutely correct that many engineers are not experts in rectal spelunking.  The great thing about engineers though, is that it is almost immediately obvious which ones should be listened to, and which ones are going to be fun to play with.  There's not a lot of middle ground!  :D

Def

So correct and, I suppose, one could say that about every trade/profession. “ the suit does not make the man”
Very true, although I do find it interesting how some trades look down on other trades. Or how if you don't have a piece of paper with some letters on it but have 20+ years of experience,  you are a nobody or know nothing. Just something I have notice over the years.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 11:08:34 PM
Yeah, I hate that too.  I really hate that kind of attitude, and I think that may be why I like taking some "educated" people down a peg or two when they try flaunting their educational superiority.

>:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: November 06, 2017, 11:20:16 PM
Very true, although I do find it interesting how some trades look down on other trades. Or how if you don't have a piece of paper with some letters on it but have 20+ years of experience,  you are a nobody or know nothing. Just something I have notice over the years.

My experience when people look down on other professions the cause is often their own lack of understanding of said profession and its complexities. Likely in combination with the psychologial phenomen that one tend to rate up the importance of ones own chosen profesion, in part because there you actually understand the problem space.

Also your own personal yardstick for success (or whatever) will often be what you chose yourself; judging others by the same yardstick will often cut them short and unfairly so. We are all different after all - not all wish to be doctors or engineers or whatever.

Most professions and trades have more than enough complexities, depth and topics for lifelong improvement and specialization if one wishes. That is not to say that such skills will necessarily be recognized or appreciated by others - some professions are simply more trendy than others for sure.

A sidenote on experience however is that variance and exposure to different problems is a key. If you do the exact same thing every day then it hardly matters whether you did that 1 year or 10 years.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:23:30 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #65 on: November 06, 2017, 11:34:45 PM
Yeah, I hate that too.  I really hate that kind of attitude, and I think that may be why I like taking some "educated" people down a peg or two when they try flaunting their educational superiority.

>:D

Def

What's quite frustrating is that that kind of attitude is very prevalent in certain industries (culture and entertainment) that espouse equality and fairness... the basta.....

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #66 on: November 06, 2017, 11:41:42 PM
Here’s my little cutie, the big bad boys down stairs, that’s a 1/2" dewalt hammer drill, I have a 14v cordless dewalt but the batteries are shot.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 12:20:55 AM
Here’s my little cutie, the big bad boys down stairs, that’s a 1/2" dewalt hammer drill, I have a 14v cordless dewalt but the batteries are shot.
JR

One of my most favourite tools ever is a 14v Hitachi combi drill - it was quite unique in that it had a belt hook that actually worked. After eight years of constant abuse, It's now retired and living happily in my shed.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 01:53:44 AM
JR

One of my most favourite tools ever is a 14v Hitachi combi drill - it was quite unique in that it had a belt hook that actually worked. After eight years of constant abuse, It's now retired and living happily in my shed.
Nice, I always liked dewalt, but that corded hitachi was free and I wasn’t going to pass it up! Besides it matched the laser compound miter saw that I got an absolute deal on..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #69 on: November 12, 2017, 04:34:54 PM
Mains powered hammer drill.  It was my father's, but he gave it to me when I moved into this apartment almost 20 years ago.  I've put up a lot of shelves (none fallen down yet).

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #70 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:39 PM
None of my drills are at home at the moment (secured in various job boxes) but I have an old B&D 1/2" corded drill.  Doesn't get used much but it's great to have for when I need to drill holes for the bigger mech tee's.  Also have a Bosch 18v cordless drill that sees a lot of use.  Unfortunately it's ni-cad and the batteries are starting to show their age.  Company tools I use are a Milwaukee right angle drill and the Milwaukee 1/2" cordless drill that just died.  Out of all of them I like the Bosch the most but it's on it's way out.  I got it used and have had it for a few years but the old ni-cad batteries are slowly giving up the ghost.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

de Offline Energie

Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 09:35:31 PM
Tiny Makita
max 6,5 mm, 4.500 rpm

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:13 PM
I kinda got me a new toy,,
JR

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 01:59:55 PM
Tiny Makita
max 6,5 mm, 4.500 rpm

(Image removed from quote.)

That is cute :) Then again I say the same about some excavators..
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 08:09:53 PM
Tiny Makita
max 6,5 mm, 4.500 rpm

(Image removed from quote.)

That is cute :) Then again I say the same about some excavators..

:dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:04 PM
Now isn't that cute?  :cheers: (I think I see a second opinion in my sideview here...  :facepalm:)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: November 16, 2017, 08:31:21 PM
Especially the one on the right.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:18 PM
(I would be worried about it rolling over though.   :ahhh )

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #78 on: September 22, 2018, 05:47:28 PM
My new-ish Makita:

10.8 (12V) with the brushless motor.  It's really small. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: September 23, 2018, 12:55:46 PM
I like small drills- they are lighter and you don't get as wiped out on larger jobs, and they fit in more compact areas.  Of course, there are always places that no drill will get into, but the smaller the drill (hopefully) the fewer of those you will encounter!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #80 on: September 24, 2018, 07:07:47 AM
I like small drills- they are lighter and you don't get as wiped out on larger jobs, and they fit in more compact areas.  Of course, there are always places that no drill will get into, but the smaller the drill (hopefully) the fewer of those you will encounter!

Def

For sure. I think it's never a bad idea to have at least two drills of different sizes. Although it's a little annoying that you generally need more than one battery platform to do so. I think the only DeWalt drill smaller than mine is the 12v, which of course isn't cross compatible with the 20v.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #81 on: September 24, 2018, 07:18:49 AM
I had a Black and Decker combi as my only drill for a long time, and for occasional use around the house it was great.  But we've recently moved to a new place with solid stone walls and the B&D wasn't up to the job so I got two to replace it: the Makita above for screwing and light stiff and a Bosch corded SDS+ for the harder jobs.  I also have a corded non hammer drill that I inherited from work and a bench top pillar drill.  I like making holes in things. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: September 24, 2018, 12:36:17 PM

Def

For sure. I think it's never a bad idea to have at least two drills of different sizes. Although it's a little annoying that you generally need more than one battery platform to do so. I think the only DeWalt drill smaller than mine is the 12v, which of course isn't cross compatible with the 20v.

My little Black and Decker cordless drill is useful enough for most things, but you are right, there are times when you need a lot more drilling power and that's why I also have a DeWalt corded drill.  As much as I love cordless tools, you just can't match the power of a proper electric drill, and sometimes it's nice to have the power without the added bulk of the battery pack.

I've had more than a few cordless drills in my time and it bothers me that they are only good for a couple of years or so before the battery starts to die off in them, and replacement batteries often cost as much as a whole new drill.  I made that mistake with one set that I got- it was a drill, reciprocating saw and circular saw set with charger and two batteries.  I bought the same drill again, without the saws, and it came with a charger and two batteries, meaning I then had two chargers and a battery for each tool, and now I have two drills, a reciprocating saw and a circular saw that are all pretty well useless because all of the batteries are toast.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #83 on: September 24, 2018, 03:58:37 PM

Def

My little Black and Decker cordless drill is useful enough for most things, but you are right, there are times when you need a lot more drilling power and that's why I also have a DeWalt corded drill.  As much as I love cordless tools, you just can't match the power of a proper electric drill, and sometimes it's nice to have the power without the added bulk of the battery pack.

I've had more than a few cordless drills in my time and it bothers me that they are only good for a couple of years or so before the battery starts to die off in them, and replacement batteries often cost as much as a whole new drill.  I made that mistake with one set that I got- it was a drill, reciprocating saw and circular saw set with charger and two batteries.  I bought the same drill again, without the saws, and it came with a charger and two batteries, meaning I then had two chargers and a battery for each tool, and now I have two drills, a reciprocating saw and a circular saw that are all pretty well useless because all of the batteries are toast.   :facepalm:

Def

You're supposed (<-- heavy emphasis here) to be able to get 3-5 years from modern Li-Ion batteries, if you don't mistreat them. But the cost of replacements really can be off-putting even in that time frame. A single 5Ah battery tends to run around $90, and two-packs are a smidge cheaper per battery, but it adds up very fast. I'd go a cheaper route if I didn't just like the ergonomics and power of my DeWalt. Currently I have two 1.5Ah batteries, but I am considering the purchase of their compact reciprocating saw and probably a 5Ah battery/charger combo. I don't really need multiple batteries per tool, as I'm not a tradesman. I do DIY and general repair/minor construction on a couple houses, and I rarely drain even these little 1.5Ah batteries.
Now, if someone were to ask me what cordless drill to buy for the same sort of use, I'd probably recommend a Ridgid kit. Unless my info is outdated, I believe if you register the product you get free battery replacement for the life of the tool from Home Depot. Of course that's mainly a USA thing.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: September 24, 2018, 05:04:33 PM
So far my biggest problem after 3-5 years has been finding the right batteries.  The manufacturers are getting better for sure, but when I went to replace my old Craftsman drill battery it was something like 12V and no one made anything below 18V then.  Then it was 21V and so on and so on.

Def

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #85 on: September 24, 2018, 06:18:13 PM
My drill arsenal is 95% Milwaukee , both 12 and 18 Volt , with a preference going to brushless . I have 12/18 chargers (2) , and a 3x12/3x18 gang charger . It’s hard to beat the breadth of the Milwukee line , everything from drain snakes , and pecs expanders , to saws and hammerdrills on two readily available platforms . I learned the hard way not to standardise on any system where I cant readilly replace batteries / chargers from a good industrial supply, or a big box store . Reptiles steal both batteries and chargers !

At one time I was in charger hell , Hilti , Metabo x2 , Makita , Bosch , and Milwaukee . Never again ! Now I just use Bosch 12V, and Milwaukee in the field . I do have some Festool , in my home workshop , but they are recreational , not professional .

I only have 1 corhed drill , 1 corded saw , and a corded belt sander , all else is cordless ! My jobsite lighting is all cordless , my answer to inverters , or generators , is a drywall bucket , with a re enforced bottom full of charged batteries . The infamous “Bucket O’ Batteries .

If all I did was straight up stuff , I would be tempted to go Hilti , however I do a lot of multitrade maintenance , as a side job .

Best Regards , and YMMV

Chris

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #86 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:58 PM
So far my biggest problem after 3-5 years has been finding the right batteries.  The manufacturers are getting better for sure, but when I went to replace my old Craftsman drill battery it was something like 12V and no one made anything below 18V then.  Then it was 21V and so on and so on.

Def

Have you looked at non-OEM compatible batteries ?  Or even having your existing battery packs rebuilt with new batteries.  I have done both as there are numerous suppliers here in Oz and they are WAY cheaper than buying OEM.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #87 on: September 24, 2018, 06:43:06 PM
Just dragged this monstrosity out of the shed. I'm putting together a "hobby desk", and figured it might be useful.

A neighbour gave it to me before he moved away, and it had been stood idle for a few years before that, so it does need a little bit of cleaning up. The foot, table, and column are quite rusty, but a little wire wool and a spot of oil should tidy it up a bit. The drive and bearings seem fine, though I don't know how much life the v belt has in it. I'll probably need to take the chuck off and inspect that too, as it's sticking a bit. Probably nothing a wire brush and dab of grease can't fix.
IMG_20180924_172540_1067_800_edit.jpg
* IMG_20180924_172540_1067_800_edit.jpg (Filesize: 126.35 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: September 24, 2018, 06:47:48 PM
Nice !    :like: :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: September 24, 2018, 06:48:54 PM
Just dragged this monstrosity out of the shed. I'm putting together a "hobby desk", and figured it might be useful.

A neighbour gave it to me before he moved away, and it had been stood idle for a few years before that, so it does need a little bit of cleaning up. The foot, table, and column are quite rusty, but a little wire wool and a spot of oil should tidy it up a bit. The drive and bearings seem fine, though I don't know how much life the v belt has in it. I'll probably need to take the chuck off and inspect that too, as it's sticking a bit. Probably nothing a wire brush and dab of grease can't fix.
Ohhh, how nice! Don’t forget pics of this little hobby desk, wonder where you got that idea :whistle:
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%