Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show me your drills

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Show me your drills
Reply #90 on: September 24, 2018, 07:02:55 PM
Just dragged this monstrosity out of the shed. I'm putting together a "hobby desk", and figured it might be useful.

A neighbour gave it to me before he moved away, and it had been stood idle for a few years before that, so it does need a little bit of cleaning up. The foot, table, and column are quite rusty, but a little wire wool and a spot of oil should tidy it up a bit. The drive and bearings seem fine, though I don't know how much life the v belt has in it. I'll probably need to take the chuck off and inspect that too, as it's sticking a bit. Probably nothing a wire brush and dab of grease can't fix.
Ohhh, how nice! Don’t forget pics of this little hobby desk, wonder where you got that idea :whistle:
JR

It'll be a while before pics, as there's still a lot more sorting needed, and I can only do a bit each day. I will get them up when it's done though  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #91 on: September 24, 2018, 08:17:24 PM
Just dragged this monstrosity out of the shed. I'm putting together a "hobby desk", and figured it might be useful.

A neighbour gave it to me before he moved away, and it had been stood idle for a few years before that, so it does need a little bit of cleaning up. The foot, table, and column are quite rusty, but a little wire wool and a spot of oil should tidy it up a bit. The drive and bearings seem fine, though I don't know how much life the v belt has in it. I'll probably need to take the chuck off and inspect that too, as it's sticking a bit. Probably nothing a wire brush and dab of grease can't fix.
Ohhh, how nice! Don’t forget pics of this little hobby desk, wonder where you got that idea :whistle:
JR

It'll be a while before pics, as there's still a lot more sorting needed, and I can only do a bit each day. I will get them up when it's done though  :tu:
Oh I’m sure, but we better get a report on that 6 in 1, I’ve always thought about getting one of those but they look so cheesy, yet to have both a metal and wood lathe, along with a drillpress, a disk sander and jig all in little room would be great.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #92 on: September 24, 2018, 10:24:27 PM

Oh I’m sure, but we better get a report on that 6 in 1, I’ve always thought about getting one of those but they look so cheesy, yet to have both a metal and wood lathe, along with a drillpress, a disk sander and jig all in little room would be great.
JR

:salute: Will do!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: October 11, 2018, 11:09:39 AM
I know Milwakee makes the strongest drills atm, but my experience with their batteries and customer service haven't exactly been the greatest....Makita also makes good stuff, but they are hard and expensive to find anyone who stocks around here....and when one does they are usually stupidly expensive.

My dad is a huge fan of Borsch, and he has had pretty good experiences with them. I personally don't have any bad experiences with them either.

But personally I am a DeWalt person, I am sure that there are better drills and various powertools out there, but pretty much every DIY store here in Ireland has DeWalt stuff and batteries and chargers etc. are widely available everywhere too, plus their accessories, like bit drivers, drill bits etc are pretty good too and not too expensive either.

Anyway, here's a picture of my DeWalt stuff. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.01.03.jpg
* Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.01.03.jpg (Filesize: 186.76 KB)
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #94 on: October 11, 2018, 01:21:14 PM
I know Milwakee makes the strongest drills atm, but my experience with their batteries and customer service haven't exactly been the greatest....Makita also makes good stuff, but they are hard and expensive to find anyone who stocks around here....and when one does they are usually stupidly expensive.

My dad is a huge fan of Borsch, and he has had pretty good experiences with them. I personally don't have any bad experiences with them either.

But personally I am a DeWalt person, I am sure that there are better drills and various powertools out there, but pretty much every DIY store here in Ireland has DeWalt stuff and batteries and chargers etc. are widely available everywhere too, plus their accessories, like bit drivers, drill bits etc are pretty good too and not too expensive either.

I'd actually like to try DeWalt corded tools as they are seemingly unbreakable but here they are hard to find. So it is interesting to see that in Ireland they are everywhere
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: October 11, 2018, 01:54:50 PM

I'd actually like to try DeWalt corded tools as they are seemingly unbreakable but here they are hard to find. So it is interesting to see that in Ireland they are everywhere

I don't know if they are "unbreakable", but I haven't had any issues with anything I have had from DeWalt, all the builders and tradesman I know here in Ireland all use DeWalt stuff too, so that's usually a good sign too. Seriously, go to any building / construction site here in Ireland and you will almost with 100% certainty see all of the builders holding a tool from DeWalt.

I just want to say though that I personally don't have any experience with their corded tools, I have only had cordless tools from DeWalt.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: October 11, 2018, 02:10:22 PM
Most corded tools I see builders use are either from Hilti or Einhell.

I don't have any experiences with either of those brands, the times I have seen Hilti in the stores they have usually been super expensive. Einhell seems to be more reasonable priced, usually around the same as DeWalt or Borsch
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: October 11, 2018, 02:15:46 PM
I've had all the major brands of cordless drills over the years and the batteries were always the weakest link. Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt and Rigid. The batteries hold up much better these days. My latest for the last couple of years is a Bosch and I really like it. Built in LED light is really handy and it has held up well so far. I use it for work so it's seen quite a bit of use.

hr Offline styx

Reply #98 on: October 11, 2018, 03:12:53 PM
Most corded tools I see builders use are either from Hilti or Einhell.

I don't have any experiences with either of those brands, the times I have seen Hilti in the stores they have usually been super expensive. Einhell seems to be more reasonable priced, usually around the same as DeWalt or Borsch

I've tried Hilti tools. very fun to use
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #99 on: October 11, 2018, 04:34:21 PM
These are mine. Three 10.8V cordless drills (the current models are marketed as 12V but are basically identical). One of them is an impact driver. I really like these small machines, they are very light but still plenty powerful for most of the jobs. But to be honest I've been thinking about adding a couple of 18V machines.

And the corded one. My house has concrete walls and ceilings so this one is pretty useful.

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: October 11, 2018, 05:19:54 PM
Besides the new cordless set, I forgot I do have a simple corded, a drywall, and a very big hammer drill like Reinier’s but a dewalt out in the garage,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #101 on: October 12, 2018, 03:02:36 PM
These are mine. Three 10.8V cordless drills (the current models are marketed as 12V but are basically identical). One of them is an impact driver. I really like these small machines, they are very light but still plenty powerful for most of the jobs. But to be honest I've been thinking about adding a couple of 18V machines.

(Image removed from quote.)

I've had that drill and impact driver for years and almost always reaches for them over the 18v ones. They are surprisingly powerful, even drive 3 inch screws easily (although battery runs down quickly). I only go for the 18v when I need to drive more than a few, or bigger holes than a standard twist drill bit, or change my tires.

Most people would be well served by a set of 12v brushless drill/impact driver.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #102 on: October 12, 2018, 05:37:05 PM
The impact driver is not powerful enough for these things though: https://www.toolstation.nl/shop/Screws+%26+Fixings/d90/Plugs/sd2040/Fischer+SXR+T+kozijnpluggen/p59898?lnjs=nl&p=59898&sd=2040&d=2040
I always need to use the corded hammer drill for those instead. Which is not really recommended.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #103 on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:04 PM
The impact driver is not powerful enough for these things though: https://www.toolstation.nl/shop/Screws+%26+Fixings/d90/Plugs/sd2040/Fischer+SXR+T+kozijnpluggen/p59898?lnjs=nl&p=59898&sd=2040&d=2040
I always need to use the corded hammer drill for those instead. Which is not really recommended.

That's surprising to hear, the 12v impact driver should have more torque than most drills.

But the 18v brushless impact driver will be able to handle any screw you have.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: October 13, 2018, 04:32:35 PM
I have and use many,many drills but this might be my favorite of all time in the end?

Milwaukee D-Handle with 30 degree extension.
It is corded but the cord is detached here and I have 25' and 50' cordsets for it.
This can drive a 4" Auger or 6' or almost any bit through wood with almost no effort at all as the torque is eaten by the extension pretty much.this hardly feels nails and rarely stops for them either.
Also I do not need a ladder to drill Joists many times or to hit my knees for plates or horizontal runs.

Overall just an amazing drill.

The Stud Buster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:37:50 PM by ezdog »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: October 13, 2018, 06:40:25 PM
That is a sweet drill !    :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #106 on: October 13, 2018, 06:50:35 PM
Here is the Bosch that is my main go to these days. I like that it has enough room in the case for lots of extra bits and even a small drill bit case.

Next is a off brand hammer drill since I don't use one very often it works just fine

Next is a vintage Sears pistol drill that I picked up at a garage sale. Quite heavy but still works great

20181013_114149.jpg
* 20181013_114149.jpg (Filesize: 322.49 KB)
20181013_114300.jpg
* 20181013_114300.jpg (Filesize: 330.23 KB)
20181013_114222.jpg
* 20181013_114222.jpg (Filesize: 291.88 KB)
20181013_114234.jpg
* 20181013_114234.jpg (Filesize: 220.03 KB)

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #107 on: October 14, 2018, 12:39:26 PM
Late 90's DeWalt DC727 on it's second motor and umpteenth battery.  :salute:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #108 on: October 14, 2018, 12:49:15 PM
And early 90's Craftsman 1/2" for the heavy duty stuff.  :salute:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #109 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:34 PM

I liked the 90s dewalts - they were the epitome (epitome, is that the right word?) of cool back then.  :tu: I bet that chuck's annoying though, it looks like a dropper!?

us Offline twiliter

Reply #110 on: October 14, 2018, 01:21:03 PM

I liked the 90s dewalts - they were the epitome (epitome, is that the right word?) of cool back then.  :tu: I bet that chuck's annoying though, it looks like a dropper!?

I don't use the DeWalt chuck very often, it's keyless but I use the hex adapter mostly. The adapter is a Kreg, it works well.  :tu:

The chuck on the 1/2" drill is a monster, I've had to hammer on the key a few times.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #111 on: October 14, 2018, 01:24:19 PM

I don't use the DeWalt chuck very often, it's keyless but I use the hex adapter mostly. The adapter is a Kreg, it works well.  :tu:

The chuck on the 1/2" drill is a monster, I've had to hammer on the key a few times.  :facepalm:

Nothing wrong with a bit of persuasion!  :tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #112 on: October 14, 2018, 01:34:22 PM

Nothing wrong with a bit of persuasion!  :tu:

I don't mind being rough with this drill, it's put the hurt on me more than once ripping out of my hand...  >:D

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #113 on: October 15, 2018, 08:01:14 PM
This is my latest drill, it's a Bosch drill press (wrong color, green instead of blue ;) ). It's supposed to be pretty good for its price (I got a great deal on Amazon):

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #114 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:10 PM
That's awesome!  I have been wanting a drill press for years but never really got around to pulling the trigger.  I have my eye on one on Amazon too...  :facepalm:

Is that 8 or 10 inches?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #115 on: October 15, 2018, 11:39:46 PM
That's awesome!  I have been wanting a drill press for years but never really got around to pulling the trigger.  I have my eye on one on Amazon too...  :facepalm:

Is that 8 or 10 inches?

Def
Get one of those setups that use a standard drill, I had one back in the day, they ain’t the best but still work..
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: October 16, 2018, 12:25:30 AM
I thought about that but I figure if I'm going to get one I'll get a dedicated one.  I hate universal things that only sort of fit everything.

The only benefit I see with that kind of setup is the ability to use it wherever with a cordless drill, but then I want a drill press for drilling things that my cordless won't do as well.  That means I'd have to use my corded DeWalt in it, and if it isn't portable then I might as well have a dedicated one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #117 on: October 16, 2018, 12:33:17 AM
Some very interesting and well-loved drills in this thread. :like:

Post 1/2
20181015_164834-1.jpeg
* 20181015_164834-1.jpeg (Filesize: 105.84 KB)
20181015_165137-1.jpeg
* 20181015_165137-1.jpeg (Filesize: 83.93 KB)
20181015_165418-1.jpeg
* 20181015_165418-1.jpeg (Filesize: 95.19 KB)
20181015_165709.jpeg
* 20181015_165709.jpeg (Filesize: 107.01 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #118 on: October 16, 2018, 12:34:18 AM
Post 2/2.
I often use rotary tools for drilling holes at high speed in wood. :)
20181015_165924-1.jpeg
* 20181015_165924-1.jpeg (Filesize: 89.15 KB)
20181015_170344-1.jpeg
* 20181015_170344-1.jpeg (Filesize: 146.78 KB)
20181015_172818-1.jpeg
* 20181015_172818-1.jpeg (Filesize: 68.38 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: October 16, 2018, 01:27:39 AM
Love that big drill press! 

The more they look like a droid from Star Wars the cooler they are IMHO!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%