Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What COULDN'T you do with your Multi-Tool today?

us Offline WiSAKfan

What COULDN'T you do with your Multi-Tool today?
on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:30 PM
Hi everyone.

I carry a M.T. of some sort every day and love the convenience that comes from having a set of mini-tools on me when unexpected projects come up.

There are times though when the M.T. just isn't up to the task at hand and I must go retrieve my tool bag.

In juxtaposition to the popular and fun thread 'what did you do with your M.T. today, I propose this thread where people could talk about their experiences when their M.T. on person couldn't perform the task they required.

Please list the M.T. because tool selection on the various M.T.'s will play a factor and what tool you ended up using for the job

I'll start off with two examples in the last week:

I've been doing touch up painting and had the doorbell unattached to paint under it...it uses two small flat head screws and my LM Signal doesn't have a small enough flathead for the job.  I ended up using a smaller computer repair kit type screwdriver...I've always joked about how many flatheads LM used to put on tools but I could have used one then lol

Yesterday I was taking garden houses off the exterior spigots in anticipation of some freezing night time temps...One of them was really stuck on there but sadly my Signal couldn't quite get a grip on the female hose side of the threads.  A smaller adjustable Irwin channel lock could open far enough to handle this with ease.  I can't even imagine trying it with a SOG and their force multiplier ie handle spreader.

I look forward to hearing people's stories.  This isn't meant as a place to bash M.T.s or pit brands against each other.  It can be a sobering thing to have your coveted M.T. not able to perform the task you need. we are all here in support :multi:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What COULDN'T you do with your Multi-Tool today?
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:42:51 PM
This is an older story, and one I have told a few times (most recently in the Non Tools thread) but I feel it is apt to repeat it. 

I was out in my Jeep running some trails with friends and one of the wires to my starter came loose.  I had to tighten it as I was having trouble running my Jeep without it, so I grabbed the only tool I had with me- a Blast.

There was a limited amount of space in there, and with the handles partially open so the plier head could grab the nut I was tightening I could only turn the nut a little each time.  This took forever to do, and worse, the semi-needle nose plier head was just enough that it would hit the other contact at the end of each turn, which resulted in me getting shocked with each turn.   :facepalm:

Even though the job was done successfully, I am still considering this a multitool fail because of the time it took, the repeated shocks and the resulting swears.  Maybe I'd consider it more of a success if I had been in the middle of the Outback and this was my only means of getting back to civilization, but I just consider it a lesson in why I should carry wrenches and ratchets everywhere.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:01:18 PM
I couldn't cut up an orange. Not because the tool doesn't have a blade, I just don't have an orange

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll get my coat  :D

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:49:43 PM
Well... I couldn't squeeze a PST into my "fantastically tight jeans" today... so that was a bit of a fail.

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:28:32 PM
My Surge BO couldn't persuade a police officer not to write a ticket to my colleague today.  :facepalm:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:23:57 PM
My Surge BO couldn't persuade a police officer not to write a ticket to my colleague today.  :facepalm:

What did he get the ticket for?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:14:01 PM
well last Tuesday I was on my way to German speaking classes as usual, when I entered the bathroom that is outside of the main building to take a pee. I closed the door lock and went quick, as there is a really noisy electrical generator (I believe it is the A/C system that turns on every 20mins and lasts 2-3 mins doing very loud noise) going just behind the wall.

Well, the door wouldn't open and the lock wouldn't turn. I pushed, pulled, twisted it pressing and pulling, both directions, no luck. I knocked at the door and screamed but nobody could hear me for sure with that noise. I didn't want to stay there with the noise and be late to class (I have to walk 1.5 miles every Tuesday to gothere and the teacher, Annette, won't let anyone that is late in)

I tried to pry the door with my Spirit. Fail. Both the flathead (as a prybar) and blade (sliding it vertically to move the lock). There were no screws to turn, only pins. I tried with a credit card. Fail.  :facepalm:
I finally took my 8" prybar from my backpack (it's a mini I often carry in my big pack which I bring to class and where my books and papers fit well) and pried the door open, not breaking the lock or the pommel but twisting and bending the metal.

As I left the building after class I took the Spirit and with its pliers I bent back the metal sheet, no signs of having been forced at all unless you looked very close    :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:37 PM
^+10 - right tool for the job.  Not everyone carries a pry-bar, but may now consider!

Good job, do not thing any MT would have helped.

Door opened in? That is scary. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 02:16:43 AM
My tools failed me. I had a problem. A difficulty. A trouble. So I inventoried my tools.

Rebar. Not the answer.
Vic Compact. Not the answer.
Doc Allen. Not the answer.
Squirt E4. Not the answer.
Vic Minichamp. Not the answer.
Pocketwrench II. Not the answer.
My flashlights. Not the answer.
My phone. Not the answer.

Checked my regular knives and (discretely) my sidearm, same results. Not the answer.

Boots, tiny compass, lighter, frensal lens, spudger, none of them were useful. I even contemplated the TOPS folding hacksaw that someone gave me and has never fallen out of my pack. No one would give me an answer.

ARGGGG!!!!! And I didn't have any pocket change.

So I told the waitress that since I couldn't choose between the clam chowder and the winter squash bisque, to surprise me- just don't put both in the same bowl.

Clam chowder. Really good clam chowder. Their squash bisque is amazing to. Either way a win.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 04:15:53 AM
~

Clam chowder. Really good clam chowder. Their squash bisque is amazing to. Either way a win.
New England or Manhattan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:38:37 AM

What did he get the ticket for?

Speeding  :oops:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:47 AM
Good thread topic.  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:45:16 PM
Well... I couldn't squeeze a PST into my "fantastically tight jeans" today... so that was a bit of a fail.

:worthless:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 03:54:11 PM
A couple years, back, I remember trying to free a sheep stuck in a fence with a Super Tool. Tried shearing the wire, dinged the cutters. Tried the file (which sucked anyway), it didn't want to even mar the wire.  Finally, we managed to get the sheep out, luckily without cutting anything.   My Christmas list  has a pair of Knipex Mini Cobolts among the items on it, primarily for the purpose of cutting fencing, something MTs (and many big pairs of dedicated pliers) really aren't good at doing, and so that it will still fit in the pliers pocket of a standard pair of carpenter's jeans.

And let's not forget those things that damaged, or destroyed a tool.  Tried to bend a coathanger with a Squirt, snapped a jaw clean off. Tried to remove a bent screw with an ST300, twisted the small flat driver (the Phillips wouldn't budge it). Loaned that same ST300 to a family friend that often helped with odd jobs, he broke the plier head (something I didn't even think would be that easy). Luckily LM's warranty really helped with those mistakes.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to write a set of instructions for an electronic device, both for someone who's never used it before, and for someone whose used that type, but not that device before. Short of taking half the electronics in the house apart, with a Gerber MultiPlier, Vic Executive, and Vic Soldier & CV PocketWrench II,  I don't see how my EDC is gonna help me with that, aside from my Bic 4-Color pen.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 05:23:13 PM
My tools failed me. I had a problem. A difficulty. A trouble. So I inventoried my tools.

Rebar. Not the answer.
Vic Compact. Not the answer.
Doc Allen. Not the answer.
Squirt E4. Not the answer.
Vic Minichamp. Not the answer.
Pocketwrench II. Not the answer.
My flashlights. Not the answer.
My phone. Not the answer.

Checked my regular knives and (discretely) my sidearm, same results. Not the answer.

Boots, tiny compass, lighter, frensal lens, spudger, none of them were useful. I even contemplated the TOPS folding hacksaw that someone gave me and has never fallen out of my pack. No one would give me an answer.

ARGGGG!!!!! And I didn't have any pocket change.

So I told the waitress that since I couldn't choose between the clam chowder and the winter squash bisque, to surprise me- just don't put both in the same bowl.

when trying to make choices without a coin you can play spin the M.T.  :2tu:

Good examples everyone.

ThePeacent glad you had the tools to get out!  Yikes, maybe you should tell someone about it so someone else who isn't carrying around a prybar doesn't get stuck in there

cody6268, you are right that times when your M.T. broke certainly count! glad you got the sheep out!

and totally out of order but Grant that is a great example as well for this thread.  In the end you got it done, but the time that you 'saved' by having the M.T. on you didn't equate into time saved on the project.  At least for me, with a car trunk stocked with tools, there is always a balancing act between doing a task with the M.T. in x amount of minutes vs going and getting the right tool and being able to do the task in y amount of minutes.  Some tasks will be so quickly done with the M.T. that it makes no sense to go to the trunk retrieve tool and complete task.  Some tasks will take so much longer with a M.T. that I decide that getting the faster dedicated tool makes much more sense.

In some of the internet talk on M.T.s I see claims that M.T.s are ideal tool box replacements for students, renters etc etc.  I don't agree with this.  I personally think everyone should have even a tiny tool box with some dedicated tools even if they have a M.T.  Heck, I'd even suggest two small tool boxes, one for the house and one for the car.

thank you everyone for contributing to the conversation

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 05:27:41 PM

(...)

when trying to make choices without a coin you can play spin the M.T.  :2tu:

Good examples everyone.

(...)

Get a Classic Flip to Decide.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 03:11:38 AM
New England or Manhattan?

I'm from Vermont.

Clams in tomato soup aren't chowder. Claiming otherwise... well, it use used to be a capital crime around here. Now, we just run you out of town .
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 12:51:53 PM

Yeah alright, if i must. Here I am at the local fashion awards with... erm... Mrs Fuzzbucket...
RonS.jpg
* RonS.jpg (Filesize: 131.77 KB)

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:36:25 PM
Get Rid of this Cold/Flu Bug....However The Forum is a great place to Visit while battling a Virus

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 01:14:09 AM
Get Rid of this Cold/Flu Bug....However The Forum is a great place to Visit while battling a Virus

Dtrain
As far as I am concerned, this is the best place to hang out. Feeling good or bad.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 01:27:52 AM
I like the spirit on this thread, but alas I would never discuss “what I couldn’t do”...

:rofl:

Offline stugumby

Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 02:42:28 AM
Ancient patio furniture legs rusted out where the rubber cap seats in, swisstool file quite handy to file the metal into a slot for the file itself to trim off. But totally unable to allow wife to operate the file, she managed to bend it a bit and couldnt retract it. Also swisstool pliers couldnt get the retaining ring off the gas grill battery box, just not able to open wide enough, but used the plier handles as a grip wrench and wallah it came off, now to find replacement parts for a 10yr old grill, battery holder is corroded bad.

us Offline surfdaworld

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:39 AM
Replaced a hydraulic door closer today, phillips mounting screws were too large for the bit in my Surge.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:24 AM
Bummer... but a solution is available in the form of the original LM Bit Extender. Normal 1/4" bits fit ino this one and you'll probably find there are such that fit these screws too... (just for being able to use the Surge :D)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

england Offline Kev D

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 11:29:23 AM
I couldn't trim something with scissors as the Gerber Center Drive doesn't have any. I need to remember to carry a Micra as well when I carry this tool.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 11:32:29 AM

Yeah alright, if i must. Here I am at the local fashion awards with... erm... Mrs Fuzzbucket...
:rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31